• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acosta

93gpuHL.gif

Party like it's 2004, Justiça

I didn't know why I entered here, but now I know.

Congratulations to Portugal!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In today's football the national teams can never play at the level of club teams simply because they have much less time training and playing together and the coaches don't have time to build a team properly, they have to practically get the best players that fit their plans based on what they play at club level. A lot of times a national teams is even build around the players and the tactics of one of the clubs. With more or less success.

Still, a good coach can do wonders, like for Italy. Wales, Hungary and Iceland.

Or a bad coach can ruin a great team by making poor decisions, like Croatia.

Or a bad coach can ruin a great team by making poor decisions, like Croatia.

Ultimate example of that is Belgium. How Wilmots kept his job after the last World Cup is a mystery to me.

Well done Portugal but I think we can all agree that entertainment value was severely lacking throughout the whole tournament. At least we got some good goals.

Well said, and parabéns!

I wish I was in Portugal right now. My wife and I considered to go to our appartment in São Martinho for a moment to watch the finals in our go-to restaurant where the owner (nicest guy ever) always watches and talks football. But work obligations (and high flight ticket prices) meant we couldn't really. Now that they've won, I regret not making it happen even more. Would have loved to see the guy go crazy after that goal. Would have loved to join in the festivities afterwards.

He will still be celebrating when you come back eheh

RangerX

Banned
It was a poor tournament overall and the final wasn't great but I thought Portugal deserved it against France. They couldn't finish at all and Portugal were excellent in defense. It is a legitimate tactic to defend and hit teams on the break. Sure its not entertaining but its complete valid. Portugal were more of a team.

norinrad

Happy for Portugal and especially for Ronald and Nani. Glad they didn't quit like some other guy who will never win anything with his country and decided to run away instead of sticking around. But hey he's a hero at Barcelona.

You blew it France.

Well done Portugal...

Soccer lost.

At least Portugal won it with a decent goal. France's finishing left much to be desired.

I don't particularly enjoy watching teams play for penalties either, but it was a great effort from Eder. Definitely a goal worthy of winning a cup final.

It was a poor tournament overall and the final wasn't great but I thought Portugal deserved it against France. They couldn't finish at all and Portugal were excellent in defense. It is a legitimate tactic to defend and hit teams on the break. Sure its not entertaining but its complete valid. Portugal were more of a team.

You better not argue with German fans than. More possession = better team according to them lmao.

Nestunt

Tell that to Leicester City.

A statistical outlier. And even so, with a giant budget in comparison to the typical 10-15 placer of european football and in a league where there is not much tactical acumen and there is a lot of financial parity (for football standards of course)

FDC1

Too bad that finale was decided on a ref error, that hand of Eder gives that good free-kick and a yellow for Koscielny. On the free-kick, Lloris fells badly and is injured. On the next action, Kos doesn't defend at 100% because he has a yellow, Eder passes him, shoots and beats a diminished Lloris. Football is a cruel sport.

Nestunt

Comments like these make me wonder if people who post in these threads even watch football. No wonder most of the regulars have left. Yikes.

Please defend your thesis that there is NOT a correlation between number of titles of a club and size/economy of the respective city, per country.

Cappa

Banned
Too bad that finale was decided on a ref error, that hand of Eder gives that good free-kick and a yellow for Koscielny. On the free-kick, Lloris fells badly and is injured. On the next action, Kos doesn't defend at 100% because he has a yellow, Eder passes him, shoots and beats a diminished Lloris. Football is a cruel sport.
If we're going to nitpick "ref errors" let's start in the first half with dimitry payets yellow card foul on Ronaldo.

Or how about how matuidi probably should have seen the double yellow?

France lost because they didn't capitalize on any of their chances. Blaming the ref is ridiculous.

Cappa

Banned
Please defend your thesis that there is NOT a correlation between number of titles of a club and size/economy of the respective city, per country.
No one is arguing against the fact that the clubs with most titles generally have more money but quality competition is much better at club level than international football.

There always was a fairly decent sized gap between club football and international football in terms of quality play and competition. That gap was more than apparent at this euro cup. I've always defended international football but this eurocup is impossible to defend.

Look I understand that teams like Iceland and Wales making quarter finals and semi finals is a cool story but apart from the emotional level international football in recent years has been dreadful and this coming from a Spaniard.

FDC1

If we're going to nitpick "ref errors" let's start in the first half with dimitry payets yellow card foul on Ronaldo.

Or how about how matuidi probably should have seen the double yellow?

France lost because they didn't capitalize on any of their chances. Blaming the ref is ridiculous.

Both are not mutually exclusive. Sure, France could, and should, have won the match before this error. But you can't neither refute the impact of this really bad decision on the final result. I don't say that was the only ref error of the match or the tournament but it was for sure decisive.

Cappa

Banned
Both are not mutually exclusive. Sure, France could, and should, have won the match before this error. But you can't neither refute the impact of this really bad decision on the final result. I don't say that was the only ref error of the match or the tournament but it was for sure decisive.
Sorry. France lost because they missed their chances not because of the referee who missed calls on both ends.

It was a bad decision but that was terrible defending by France. You missed mentioning on how umtiti completely missed his coverage assignment and allowed Eder all the space in the world to shoot. Had umtiti closed down on him, as he should have since he was playing cover behind koscielny, than perhaps Eder never unloads the shot or did the ref have a hand in poor defensive assignment as well?

Nestunt

No one is arguing against the fact that the clubs with most titles generally have more money but quality competition is much better at club level than international football.

There always was a fairly decent sized gap between club football and international football in terms of quality play and competition. That gap was more than apparent at this euro cup. I've always defended international football but this eurocup is impossible to defend.

Look I understand that teams like Iceland and Wales making quarter finals and semi finals is a cool story but apart from the emotional level international football in recent years has been dreadful and this coming from a Spaniard.

Of course the quality of play is better! But is better for the wrong reasons.

Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema should not be concentrated in 2 teams. Of course Madrid's and Barça's football is better than Portugal's or Argentina's. But that's because Neymar is not playing in Sevilla, Suarez in Villareal, Bale in Espanyol and Benzema in Real Sociedad.

I am not even discussing this any more. It's a joke how many times teams from Madrid, Barcelona, Munich, Torino, Milan went to the top 4 in the Champions League in the last 15 years. That's not quality. That's Donald Trump driving a Ferrari.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

is lloris being injured supported by anything but one person on gaf speculating that he looked injured? not seeing it reported anywhere, and he would not have saved that shot anyway.

Well there is between the money a club has and titles. However, through hard and good work, even smaller teams can win stuff. Look at BVB for example, we were dead 10 years ago. Now, we're a top ten club in Europe.

It's also a hilarious point to make shortly after Leicester won the PL.

FDC1

It was not shown on camera but french announcers said (before the goal happenned) it seemed Lloris was suffering after his dive on the free kick

Cappa

Banned
is lloris being injured supported by anything but one person on gaf speculating that he looked injured? not seeing it reported anywhere, and he would not have saved that shot anyway.
A goalkeeper at 110% was not stopping that goal. Him being injured though is ridiculous nothing wrong with him. Like 99% of goalkeepers who are injured ( as dictated in the rule book) the game can be stopped if a goalkeeper is injured so he can be checked on they'll usually ask for assistance immediately

Fdkn

This needs to be a joke post. Not even the butterfly effect can reach this crazyness.

blacklotus

ROFL.

Kos? The one who made the not signed penalty against Romania when it was 0-0 in the first game?

Kill3r7

So just like life money and resources matter at giving you a better chance at success. There is no denying that money matters, statistically speaking, where you finish in the league. Occasionally we get an outlier year like this past year in the EPL where LCFC won, while CFC, MUFC and LFC struggled.

FDC1

What butterfly effect? It's direct cause and consequence, the free kick and the goal happened in the same minute.

Nestunt

Well there is. However, through hard and good work, even smaller teams can win stuff. Look at BVB for example, we were dead 10 years ago. Now, we're a top ten club in Europe.

It's also a hilarious point to make shortly after Leicester won the PL.

Cmon! I love you guys and the football you play at Dortmund. But it is disingenuous to call yourselves small. You have (by stats) the biggest number of registered and paying supporters. And even so, you have very little chance of winning domestic championships against the financial monopoly happening in Munich. Winning 2 in the last 10 does not prove your point because you are a huge club by design and, even among the big, you have difficulties.

I am a FCPorto fan and, even I, don´t consider myself small. Paços de Ferreira or Marítimo are small. Like Hoffenheim or Mainz.

Nestunt

So just like life money and resources matter at giving you a better chance at success. There is no denying that money matters, statistically speaking, where you finish in the league. Occasionally we get an outlier year like this past year in the EPL where LCFC won, while CFC, MUFC and LFC struggled.

But that goes against the purpose of a Sporting competition. Look at Athletics.

That's why we need a governing body that establishes sum of salary caps to football clubs.

How do you know that the coaches or the general managers at Braga, Sevilla, Lyon, Wolfsburg, Fiorentina are not better than the ones in FCPorto, Madrid, PSG, Munich or Juve? The latter are working with a bought head start in the 100 meter race.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I really admire his passion.

What butterfly effect? It's direct cause and consequence, the free kick and the goal happened in the same minute.

If Lloris was so injured he should have asked for the game to stop. If he didn't it doesn't qualify as a referee mistake but as a keeper stupidity.

The only big impact I saw on the game was France sidelining Ronaldo in the first 10min. This was more decisive than any of the ref's decisions.

France was overconfident and Portugal wanted it more. The rest are lame excuses. Plain and simple

Retsudo

Seriously?? The same France team that had multiple calls on their behalf during the tournament just because they were the host nation? The same team that injured our captain in the first 15 minutes, and not even a foul was called?

And if Lloris was injured he would've asked for medical assistance. It's as simple as that.

On another note, Holy crap watching the celebrations via RTP online, the feels are too much. I went crazy last night but being in another country it's not the same. Somos CAMPEOES!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom