• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

What a shit result. France was so good throughout the tournament...shame they choked.

They didn't choke. Portugal was better. A nightmare to watch for everyone between neutral and french, but better. Better defense, better positionplay. France had visibly no idea what to do. Funnily enough a common theme of this Euro, see Germany-France. Of course, luck was a major contributing factor but in the end, Portugal was better. And won. The end.

LAM09

Pogba for £100million with that kind of performance?

Can't judge him solely on that performance, but he's never a £100m player. Utd just have money to burn and haven't got any sense IMO.

On a side note, congrats to the old man, Mr Carvalho.

Rupe

Neo Member
Has this been posted?

giphy.gif

correojon

They didn't choke. Portugal was better. A nightmare to watch for everyone between neutral and french, but better. Better defense, better positionplay. France had visibly no idea what to do. Funnily enough a common theme of this Euro, see Germany-France. Of course, luck was a major contributing factor but in the end, Portugal was better. And won. The end.
I think that in the first half France was much better than Portugal. Portugal only dominated the minutes after scoring when France chocked. The rest of the match was more or less equal, with France playing slightly better.

I'm not French or Portuguese, that's what I saw.

Dinokill

18 years ago I was crying when France beat Bazil 3-0 in the 98 WC final. From that moment on, I hated the French National Team with a passion that culminated with their embarrassment in the group stage on the 2002 WC and Brazil being World Champs once again. Today, the full circle in close; I saw for the first time France losing in his home country in the same stadium that they beat Brazil 18 years ago with Didier Deschamps, who back then was the team captain, as a manager. I don't hate the French National Team anymore but today I felt like the book was finally close.

One performance defines a fee? 5? Or several seasons playing in your actual position?

And he's worth more to ManUtd because he counts as a homegrown player in the Champions League. Anyone who played FM knows what a pain in the ass that rule can be ;)

Still must be a tough pill to swallow to pony up that amount of money for a player you let go for nothing a couple of years ago.
Pogba is a great player, he didn't have a great tournament but that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Portugal won thanks to Ronaldo not being a dead weight holding the team back, once he went out they were able to pull their best show in the whole tournament.

Good for the team that he decided to fake an injury to protect his ego and to elude any sentiment of disappointment and actually let a competent player take his role and do something useful with it.

Congrats to Portugal on being the better team, well deserved.

It's as if you didn't watch one match in this entire (month) tournament, just showed up today to post....

2MF

"One man team" wins the title without the man. Incredible night, still can't believe it. Never in a million years I thought this could happen.

This was the silver lining of Ronaldo's injury. Now we can easily shut up the people who say Portugal = Ronaldo.

My sporting checklist to witness during my life:

Benfica Champions League Win
Portugal World Cup Win
Portugal Euro Cup Win

Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup Win

Toronto Raptors NBA Championship
Toronto Blue Jays World Series Win (I was 5 when they won in 1993 and don't remember)
Tennessee Titans Super Bowl Win

Bruh, I hope you have good genes and maintain a very healthy lifestyle to live up to at least a hundred, otherwise I got some bad news for the bolded on your bucket list.

The success of the Portuguese National team maybe made people realize what a great job teams like Benfica Porto and Sporting do when it comes to developing young players. Benfca and Porto are widely regarded as the best scouting teams in Europe and have developed a myriad of really good players despite extremly limited ressources compared to the other clubs in Europe.

And he's worth more to ManUtd because he counts as a homegrown player in the Champions League. Anyone who played FM knows what a pain in the ass that rule can be ;)

Still must be a tough pill to swallow to pony up that amount of money for a player you let go for nothing a couple of years ago.
Pogba is a great player, he didn't have a great tournament but that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

That doesn't change the fact that Pogba is still not worth £100m

LAM09

Who came out valued or devalued out of that you think?

Sissoko valued for sure. Guerreiro and Patricio for Portugal probably. Maybe João Mario.

Dortmund did some astute business picking up Guerreiro before the Euros started.

The success of the Portuguese National team maybe made people realize what a great job teams like Benfica Porto and Sporting do when it comes to developing young players. Benfca and Porto are widely regarded as the best scouting teams in Europe and have developed a myriad of really good players despite extremly limited ressources compared to the other clubs in Europe.

Both squads are filled with more foreigners than in years gone by, so the production line isn't what it once was. Having said that, a gem like Sanches pops up every so often. Neves to follow his footsteps?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ronaldo to miss the European Supercup according to Spanish media (which is August 9th) , but its not a torn ACL or something serious apparently. He will miss the start of the season tho.

Big-E

In relation to Pogba, how many players do we really see excel at the national level when they are not really playing the same position as they do at club level?

Berto

Both squads are filled with more foreigners than in years gone by, so the production line isn't what it once was. Having said that, a gem like Sanches pops up every so often. Neves to follow his footsteps?
Actually they are starting (specially Benfica with their new coach) to bet on their youngsters a lot more, a direct consequence of the financial issues they are facing. Sporting is doing that for a long time now, thats why Portugal uses their midfield trio and most of the players were formed there.

All three academies are a goldmine.

As someone who is (still) completely opposed to having nationalised players in a national squad (for example Brazillians in the Portuguese squad) I have to hand it to Pepe, he "feels" it more than most Portuguese players.

Yeah, he even has a somewhat mixed accent :D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
As someone who is (still) completely opposed to having nationalised players in a national squad (for example Brazillians in the Portuguese squad) I have to hand it to Pepe, he "feels" it more than most Portuguese players.

In today's market he absolutely is.
He is a real complete player at a ridiculously young age who has proven himself at the Champions League level.

Please define today's market.

Is he a complete player, though? He's great, don't get me wrong, but he didn't really light it up at the Euro, especially when it mattered. That said, it would be harsh to judge him based on his performance at a single tournament.

And Pogba is not ridiculously young? He's 23, and hitting his prime. At that age, Ronaldo and Messi, and Neymar were already tearing it up.

El-Suave

Very happy for Portugal, they were close to or in the finals of so many tournaments, they deserved a win. In the Figo era there was a roster of players that were more impressive than the current one to me and they couldn't reward themselves. A golden generation was wasted I thought and now the next one steps up and achieved success.
It just sucks that times are so bad you wonder if a win for France would have made that country more stable when right now the EU needs a strong France more than ever. But purely from a football perspective I'm very pleased with the result.

It's as if you didn't watch one match in this entire (month) tournament, just showed up today to post....

Yes, I watched him fail miserably.

Pepe was the MVP hands down, he fulfilled his position through the tournament like nobody else, despite him being a huge prick, he still proves himself in the field.

longdi

Banned
So is Ronaldo considered the best Portuguese player of all time, of all time? And one of the top 5 players ever? Justica

Please define today's market.

Is he a complete player, though? He's great, don't get me wrong, but he didn't really light it up at the Euro, especially when it mattered. That said, it would be harsh to judge him based on his performance at a single tournament.

And Pogba is not ridiculously young? He's 23, and hitting his prime. At that age, Ronaldo and Messi, and Neymar were already tearing it up.

When Granit Xhaka,Sadio Mane and Mkhitaryan are worth around 40 Millions, Pogba is easily worth 100. The entire premier league is raking in cash from their TV deal, we've seen an incredible inflation when it came to fees during the last couple of years.

23 is incredibly young, there is around a decade of his prime left. Comparisons to Messi and Ronaldo are not really viable. We're talking about completely different positions and responsibilities.

IceCold

Since 2014, Portugal has reached the EURO final with the following teams: U17, U19, U21, and the national team. They won with the national team and the U17 team now.

A good chunk of this winning team comes from Sporting's youth academy. Ronaldo, Quaresma, Nani, William Carvalho, Adrien Silva, Rui Patricio, Jose Fonte, etc. I'm very happy to see Benfica and Porto catching up. This is very good for the future of the Portuguese team. I just hope they can produce a decent striker before I die.

I'm curious to see what the team achieves during the Olympics now.

Dortmund did some astute business picking up Guerreiro before the Euros started.

Well minus those of African descent (from Portuguese colonies), the rest are all born in France, minus one that is born in Germany. They are all of Portuguese descent though and most have came to Portugal at a young age and were formed by Portugal's youth academies.

Ronaldo is good at motivating teams, first Iceland and then this.

Cristiano Ronaldo gave the Portuguese squad what has been described as an "unbelievable" half-time speech, telling his teammates he was "sure" they would beat France in their 1-0 Euro 2016 final victory despite having to go off injured after 25 minutes, Cedric Soares has revealed.

Since 2014, Portugal has reached the EURO final with the following teams: U17, U19, U21, and the national team. They won with the national team and the U17 team now.

A good chunk of this winning team comes from Sporting's youth academy. Ronaldo, Quaresma, Nani, William Carvalho, Adrien Silva, Rui Patricio, Jose Fonte, etc. I'm very happy to see Benfica and Porto catching up. This is very good for the future of the Portuguese team. I just hope they can produce a decent striker before I die.

I'm curious to see what the team achieves during the Olympics now.

Nuno Gomes had a good run in 2000 ;)

Btw. on the whole Pogba is overrated thing: Nuno and Milan Baros are cautionary tales when it comes to overrating performances during a tournament.

LAM09

Actually they are starting (specially Benfica with their new coach) to bet on their youngsters a lot more, a direct consequence of the financial issues they are facing. Sporting is doing that for a long time now, thats why Portugal uses their midfield trio and most of the players were formed there.

All three academies are a goldmine.

Good to see the other two attempting to follow SCP.

Soooo happy right now!! ����

Thanks to all of you who had kind words for us the Portuguese, thanks for letting us have this joy once in our lives, even if we weren't a great team to watch at times, I guess we did what we had to do.

A big thanks also for those who embarassed themselves with the salty or clueless posts, great laughs were had.
Deserved win and I love your country as a tourist. Celebrate being awesome :D

Retsudo

Portugal won thanks to Ronaldo not being a dead weight holding the team back, once he went out they were able to pull their best show in the whole tournament.

Good for the team that he decided to fake an injury to protect his ego and to elude any sentiment of disappointment and actually let a competent player take his role and do something useful with it.

Yes, I watched him fail miserably.

You probably need glasses or something. Ronaldo was directly involved in most of the goals Portugal scored in this tournament.

And that Payet tackle was clearly nothing.Only you and the referee seem to think that was fair game. Ronaldo must've been hit by a ghost i guess.

Anyway, CAMPEOES CARALHO!!! somebody hold me!

jts

...hate me...
Title editing mod is still shook. Understandable.

PORTUGUESE LADS, JOINING THE PARTY FROM THE FAR NORTH. CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE. WE MADE IT :D

So is Ronaldo considered the best Portuguese player of all time, of all time? And one of the top 5 players ever? Justica

There was Eusebio and Figo. But I haven't seen Eusebio in action and too young when Figo was on the spotlight. I'm not a fan of Ronaldo (not a fan of Messi either, mind), but I think Ronaldo deserves the praises.

leroidys

The concept of a team "deserving" a championship or win is totally bizarre and antithetical to me. Two teams play each other and one team wins. That's how sports work.

Anyway, congrats Portugal! Here's hoping the quality at the WC is higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom