• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros Firms ‘Ocean’s 8’ Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh.

This is the road people take now. Look I'm a hardcore feminist comparatively to the average guy and I live in NYC. I shouldn't even have to say that to justify my opinion and I'm so tired of being shoved together with every misogynistic dude because I don't want another absolute trash remake. Or another remake in general.

I think its hilarious that people are so set on these gender flipped films. You're just riding on the coat tails of a film filmed with men and simultaneously continuing the lack of originality in modern Hollywood. That's not how you continue the advancement of women and that's usually not how you create a memorable film.

After all, Ocean's Eleven was a completely original property.

Gaz_RB

Sigh.

This is the road people take now. Look I'm a hardcore feminist comparatively to the average guy and I live in NYC. I shouldn't even have to say that to justify my opinion and I'm so tired of being shoved together with every misogynistic dude because I don't want another absolute trash remake. Or another remake in general.

I think its hilarious that people are so set on these gender flipped films. You're just riding on the coat tails of a film filmed with men and simultaneously continuing the lack of originality in modern Hollywood. That's not how you continue the advancement of women and that's usually not how you create a memorable film.

preach

It should also be noted that it is not exactly fair to say "just make an original movie starring women", because:

1. Remakes and adaptations are all the rage right now, therefore making an original IP starring only women a hard sell
2. Remakes and adaptations usually star men predominantly

Kelsdesu

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6737-1382375308-2.gif

Yo! The music for that part is fire!

Listen to Oceans Twelve - Laser Dance "The a La Menthe" by Hosny Ahlawy #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/hosnyahlawy/oceans-twelve-laser-dance-the

Oersted

Sigh.

You call yourself a feminist.

And you live in New York.

I'm convinced now.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Sigh.

Loads of sexist dbags live in NYC, I would know I've lived here all my life.

The Bernie Mac show started the same year Oceans 11 came out. I don't think he was quite a big star yet.

The reason Bernie was cast in Ocean's 11, was because him, Cedric The Entertainer, Steve Harvey, and D.L Hughley had just finished making headlines being in the highest grossing comedy tour in America at that time and a Spike Lee film of the tour came out and was a hit. Now he wasn't a mainstream star, but he was definitely known after a decade on the comedy circuit and being in Black films.

The reason Bernie was cast in Ocean's 11, was because him, Cedric The Entertainer, Steve Harvey, and D.L Hughley had just finished making headlines being in the highest grossing comedy tour in America at that time and a Spike Lee film of the tour came out and was a hit. Now he wasn't a mainstream star, but he was definitely known after a decade on the comedy circuit and being in Black films.

Thank God they chose him over the other "kings of comedy". The other 3 would look like shit in that clique. He was always the better actor.

RIP

ZeroX03

Banned
Original films were made by the actor's chemistry and Soderbergh's style. The latter is producing so hopefully that comes through. And chemistry, we'll see, I have no idea if those actresses are friends but they're all talented in their own right.

Sandra Bullock's character supposed to be Danny Ocean's sister or something?

After the death of Mac, rip, I was fine with them leaving the franchise done. Hesitant about this new batch. Ocean's trilogy means alot to me.

black_13

Banned
Man I loved the Ocean's movies and well 3 movies with the previous cast was fine but I don't think they could come back so this is a nice change while still giving us new movies so I'm definitely down for this.

But most importantly it must be good. Who cares about the casting choices is it delivers while paying some respects to the trilogy. And man it be cool if in the final movie they team up with the guys to do one big heist.

Muitnorts

Damn this is a solid as shit cast… as solid as you could hope for.
I'm not expecting greatness considering the last two Oceans movies but there's at least a decent chance that the script deserves the cast.

toneroni

Always love caper films so looking forward to this. Awkwafina's from Queens, NY too!
Really doubt there'll be much backlash.

devilhawk

It should also be noted that it is not exactly fair to say "just make an original movie starring women", because:

1. Remakes and adaptations are all the rage right now, therefore making an original IP starring only women a hard sell
2. Remakes and adaptations usually star men predominantly

Yeah, you're right. No way there can be successful new IPs starring women. Certainly can't do, say, a buddy cop film starring two females as agent and detective. Probably can't do a comedy with an amazingly solid cast about something like weddings and bridesmaids either. Just no market for success with that. I suggest they gender swap and reboot an 80's action comedy film. That's where all the bank is at.

No one is pleading for Oceans 15 or whatever. I have no problem with this movie and will likely see it. I wasn't overly impressed with the Oceans movies but they were entertaining. I would be surprised if there really is a backlash to this outside of the standard "hollywood is lazy, anti-reboot brigade."

Dantis

The fact that Scarlett Johansson isn't in this is a travesty. She'd be fucking perfect.

My biggest concern is that the two leads aren't nearly as cool as Clooney and Pitt. Style played a big part of all three films, and if they go a different direction with this, why even bother making it an Ocean's film?

I do love the idea of it revolving around Danny's sister though.

EDIT: Anne Hathaway is a good cast, and Bonham Carter had better be the equivalent of Don Cheadle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom