• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... the FeministAMovie hashtag on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I didn't expect to see any backlash from the Ocean's eleven announcement... but here we are:

Ocean's 11 is reportedly set to get a star-studded all-female reboot. Pop superstar Rihanna is allegedly set to star alongside Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Sandra Bullock, Mindy Kaling, Nora Lum and Helena Bonham-Carter.

Many people have been very excited by this - the cast is broad enough for everyone to be a fan of at least one person in it, and all-female reboots always spark interest in a world previously populated by scores of films which don't pass the Bechdel test.

However, some have become very angry that this remake of a remake has ladies in it, starting the hashtag #FeministAFilm. This has trended worldwide and is mainly populated by people who think all-female remakes are oppressing and ignoring men.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/20...feministamovie-hashtag-to-protest-all-female/
Some "fine" examples

Three Men & The Baby I Didn't Want To Raise
#FeministAMovie
The fat and the furious #FeministAMovie
#FeministAMovie the 90 Year Old Virgin
Honey I took ur money #FeministAMovie
#FeministAMovie James Bond - the spy who sexually objectified me

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I fucking called it but people were like,"Ocean's 11 doesn't have the rabid fanbase of Ghostbusters" when that's not the point. These types just want to hate on anything that pushes women to the fore. They could remake some obscure 50's film 5 people have ever seen with all women and these trolls would be coming out of the woodwork claiming to be the biggest fans and that a female version will ruin the original.

Three Men & The Baby I Didn't Want To Raise
#FeministAMovie
The fat and the furious #FeministAMovie
#FeministAMovie the 90 Year Old Virgin
Honey I took ur money #FeministAMovie

I don't even get the "theme" here...

hodgy100

#FeministAMovie James Bond - the spy who sexually objectified me

an alternate bond film where the lead is pushed to the fringe of society because people won't stand for his bullshit would be a really interesting take on the series :p

Slacker

I'm not sure why it's news every time stupid people say something stupid. Same thing with the Gabby Douglas hair stuff. A few idiots said something on twitter, where a handful of people saw it. Someone gets mad and writes an article about it, and now it's everywhere.

DedValve

Banned
Oceans 11 is getting an all female reboot? With that cast? I am so fucking in.

Also people who cry about this really need to evaluate their lives but they won't so at least put your tears to use and bottle them up for areas with a water crisis like Flint.

Oceans 11 is getting an all female reboot? With that cast? I am so fucking in.

Also people who cry about this really need to evaluate their lives but they won't so at least put your tears to use and bottle them up for areas with a water crisis like Flint.

I think it's technically a spinoff more than a reboot/remake...but not sure. I've seen it called both.

Stupid reboot. Stupid sexists.

I'm sick of everything having to be part of a franchise anyway. Why does it need to be oceans 11 to be a cool all female heist film?

Nudull

Banned
Happened to Ghostbusters, and it's gonna happen here again. The egos of male geeks are that fragile, apparently.

Bluenoser

Unfortunately, this type of reaction to the Ocean's news is not surprising

I'm am disappointed that Hollywood is so unoriginal that it can't come up with fresh new movie ideas with female casts though. Bridesmaids was fucking awesome.
I do love me a good heist movie, so I may check this out.

mclem

an alternate bond film where the lead is pushed to the fringe of society because people won't stand for his bullshit would be a really interesting take on the series :p

I recall that was a theme in Goldeneye (particularly in light of the introduction of a female M), but it got pushed to the side somewhat in later films.

Flo_Evans

I'm not sure why it's news every time stupid people say something stupid. Same thing with the Gabby Douglas hair stuff. A few idiots said something on twitter, where a handful of people saw it. Someone gets mad and writes an article about it, and now it's everywhere.

John Oliver covered this pretty well. "news" is dying, there is no budget for journalism so we get daily social media updates instead.

Order

Stupid reboot. Stupid sexists.

I'm sick of everything having to be part of a franchise anyway. Why does it need to be oceans 11 to be a cool all female heist film?
Because why not

Are dudes really going to start treating the Oceans series as some sacred thing now

Pilgrimzero

Why does it have to be a reboot of Oceans 11? Why not give it a new name?

It's not like Hollywood hasn't done that over and over and over again.

I mean take Spy, could have just called it Get Smart, or Alice Powers, or something, right?

Reboots already have a hard enough time

First complaining about a movie which did not even start shooting, than about sexism. You got some priorities.

You've got some long ass arms.

Edit: I realize that actually might not make sense. If I said short arms would that better convey how far this poster is reaching?

Because why not

Are dudes really going to start treating the Oceans series as some sacred thing now

I'm not going to. This post better explains what I meant.

I'm more disappointed that Hollywood is so unoriginal that it can't come up with fresh new movie ideas with female casts. Bridesmaids was fucking awesome.

But yeah, unfortunately, this type of reaction to the Ocean's news is not surprising.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Getting in a tizzy over a franchise that's fucking worthless (artistically, someone will come and quote me "but the last few movies made such and such at the box office *pushes up nerd glasses*)anyways. Jeez. Get a life Twitter.

Because why not

I've no horse in this race one way or another, but if this goes anything like Ghostbusters, so many lines are going to get drawn in the sand over this movie that people are going to fight regardless of how they feel about the cast or the older movies. But if nobody cares about Ocean's 11 why bother using the name other than a way to get some cheap heat? Ghostbusters I can understand, a lot of people do care about that franchise and I can imagine someone genuinely wanting to make a sequel/reboot to it but Ocean's 11? Really?

It may reek of cynicism but all I can see from this is some studio head saying "Nobody will care about 'Heist-starring Rhianna'. Give it the name of another popular movie so people will pay attention!". Women absolutely deserve their own leading roles in any film or genre they want, and maybe I underestimate the dedication to the Ocean franchise, but as of right now I'm skeptical, skeptical in the same way I'd be if they announced a male-oriented reboot or sequel in the same vein.

Bluenoser

Since "Ocean's" refers to Danny Ocean, played by Clooney, I'm curious as to where that surname ties into this spinoff/reboot. How does it fit?

I said it in the other thread where people were trying to downplay the Ocean's 11 franchise, Do not underestimate the internet. It's not about the popularity of a franchise, we're currently going through a culture clash that decent sized amount of people are trying to resist.

Since "Ocean's" refers to Danny Ocean, played by Clooney, I'm curious as to where that surname ties into this spinoff/reboot. How does it fit?

Could just be another character named Ocean. Or maybe he's still involved somehow but the female characters take center stage in a "Charlie's Angels" kinda thing.

I've no horse in this race one way or another, but if this goes anything like Ghostbusters, so many lines are going to get drawn in the sand over this movie that people are going to fight regardless of how they feel about the cast or the older movies. But if nobody cares about Ocean's 11 why bother using the name other than a way to get some cheap heat? Ghostbusters I can understand, a lot of people do care about that franchise and I can imagine someone genuinely wanting to make a sequel/reboot to it but Ocean's 11? Really?

It may reek of cynicism but all I can see from this is some studio head saying "Nobody will care about 'Heist-starring Rhianna'. Give it the name of another popular movie so people will pay attention!". Women absolutely deserve their own leading roles in any film or genre they want, and maybe I underestimate the dedication to the Ocean franchise, but as of right now I'm skeptical, skeptical in the same way I'd be if they announced a male-oriented reboot or sequel in the same vein.

They absolutely do. Actresses deserve so much more than being tossed into a remake film haphazardly to fulfill some token attempt to "flip the coin" so to speak. Or because producers think they can't bring in an audience by themselves. It's stupid and unimaginative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom