• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... the FeministAMovie hashtag on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Danielle Ocean? His long lost niece?
or India Ocean if we want to add some realism to the naming.

Pacifica Ocean!

They absolutely do. Actresses deserve so much more than being tossed into a remake film haphazardly to fulfill some token attempt to "flip the coin" so to speak. Or because producers think they can't bring in an audience by themselves. It's stupid and unimaginative.

So Hollywood? This kind of thinking and attitude from the people in charge is nothing new.

Flo_Evans

I've no horse in this race one way or another, but if this goes anything like Ghostbusters, so many lines are going to get drawn in the sand over this movie that people are going to fight regardless of how they feel about the cast or the older movies. But if nobody cares about Ocean's 11 why bother using the name other than a way to get some cheap heat? Ghostbusters I can understand, a lot of people do care about that franchise and I can imagine someone genuinely wanting to make a sequel/reboot to it but Ocean's 11? Really?

It may reek of cynicism but all I can see from this is some studio head saying "Nobody will care about 'Heist-starring Rhianna'. Give it the name of another popular movie so people will pay attention!". Women absolutely deserve their own leading roles in any film or genre they want, and maybe I underestimate the dedication to the Ocean franchise, but as of right now I'm skeptical, skeptical in the same way I'd be if they announced a male-oriented reboot or sequel in the same vein.

Oceans 11 is already a remake, and already got 2 sequels.

What I think is strange is I kind of hate these movies, wife dragged me to see them because she has a crush on Clooney.

Haunted

I mean, this is obviously shit and only cements my opinion of Twitter as a toxic cesspool

but "Honey, I took your money" would be a great movie title. And it rhymes!

Oceans 11 is already a remake, and already got 2 sequels.

And I still say that the exact same thing happened then that happened now. I find reboots to be creatively bankrupt in general and in that case all they really did was take the name and premise and make their own thing. Nobody out there is suggesting the Oceans franchise is some sort of pillar of modern Hollywood, it was always just an excuse plot to get a bunch of famous actors and actresses on screen being pretty and charming in exotic places.

I don't even get the "theme" here...
They're all supposed to be jabs at Feminism. Well, their warped idea at what Feminism is.

Three Men & The Baby I Didn't Want To Raise = Feminists sleep around with multiple men and have kids they don't want to take care of.

The fat and the furious = Probably a Tumblr Feminist cliche.

the 90 Year Old Virgin = Probably them imagining your cliche Short hair/flannel shirt wearing Feminist/Lesbian and claiming that they can't get laid for whatever reason.

Honey I took ur money = This one is just claiming that women are gold diggers.

Pacifica Ocean!

So Hollywood? This kind of thinking and attitude from the people in charge is nothing new.

If this is supposed to be an actual cultural shift like they make it out to be. Then why not actually make interesting and unique movies with female leads instead of reboots. It's just feels cheapened in the process... For me at least. I guess these production studios don't really give a shit though. Probably just trying to cash in on the cultural relevance.

That being said if we're getting an all female reboot I'll take

Snatch #FeministAMovie

I'm outraged, livid, at them casting Rihanna.

Now I'm not really, just feel like it's a waste of a spot in the team when there are better options.

Still interested, I miss caper-movies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If this is supposed to be an actual cultural shift like they make it out to be. Then why not actually make interesting and unique movies with female leads instead of reboots. It's just feels cheapened in the process... For me at least. I guess these production studios don't really give a shit though. Probably just trying to cash in on the cultural relevance.

Again this is Hollywood as it gets. Not sure why you're surprised. They've been doing the cheap and easy thing of just relying on nostalgia and doing remakes of older well loved movies for decades now. This time they're just adding another bit to it by remaking older films with women as the leads.

4Tran

I've no horse in this race one way or another, but if this goes anything like Ghostbusters, so many lines are going to get drawn in the sand over this movie that people are going to fight regardless of how they feel about the cast or the older movies. But if nobody cares about Ocean's 11 why bother using the name other than a way to get some cheap heat? Ghostbusters I can understand, a lot of people do care about that franchise and I can imagine someone genuinely wanting to make a sequel/reboot to it but Ocean's 11? Really?
I doubt all that many people cared about the original Rat Pack movie when they made the Clooney Ocean's 11. What happens in a lot of these cases is that a filmmaker comes up with an idea for a film, and the studio attaches it to another property that they have the rights to. That's how films like Will Smith's I, Robot got named.

Zukuu

Banned
I actually chuckled at the Bond name. It's so bizzare, that I want a to see a Bond-Spin-Off movie with that name now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Stupid reboot. Stupid sexists.

I'm sick of everything having to be part of a franchise anyway. Why does it need to be oceans 11 to be a cool all female heist film?

Unfortunately, this type of reaction to the Ocean's news is not surprising

I'm am disappointed that Hollywood is so unoriginal that it can't come up with fresh new movie ideas with female casts though.

Why does it have to be a reboot of Oceans 11? Why not give it a new name?

It's not like Hollywood hasn't done that over and over and over again.

I mean take Spy, could have just called it Get Smart, or Alice Powers, or something, right?

Reboots already have a hard enough time

Yeah man, fuck reboots! I only like the ORIGINAL Oceans 11.

Oceans+11.jpg

Again this is Hollywood as it gets. Not sure why you're surprised. They've been doing the cheap and easy thing of just relying on nostalgia and doing remakes of older well loved movies for decades now. This time they're just adding another bit to it by remaking older films with women as the leads.

I'm not surprised at all. I'm just at the eye rolling stage all the time now with them trying to accept credit for a half assed attempt at promoting equality.

Phased

The only thing confused about the cast was Rihanna. What is she doing there with real actresses like Cate Blanchette, Anne Hathaway, Sandra Bullock and Helena Bonham Carter. She was so bad in Battleship it was distracting.

Dougald

I don't care if they're men or women, as long as the film is good. That cast looks like a damn interesting lineup.

I actually chuckled at the Bond name. It's so bizzare, that I want a to see a Bond-Spin-Off movie with that name now.

Bond makes one too many passes at Moneypenny and ends up at an employment tribunal

Yeah man, fuck reboots! I only like the ORIGINAL Oceans 11.

The point was not that film specifically. Just why does it need to be reboots at all versus a new IP that can belong to a female cast. You know? I feel like I can't say exactly what I mean. Can't find the words.

AntChum

Pacifica Ocean!
Atlantica Ocean would surely be more appropriate given the female cast? After all, it's frigid and cold. /MRA

Why would this movie need to be considered a reboot? There's already been two sequels to Ocean's Eleven, this one can be a third, and then the fourth can be a crossover between the teams: Oceans' Twenty One

Stupid reboot. Stupid sexists.

I'm sick of everything having to be part of a franchise anyway. Why does it need to be oceans 11 to be a cool all female heist film?

Why can't it be an Ocean's film featuring an all female cast?

It doesn't need to be, but brand recognition in Hollywood is big.

So big in fact, that people are talking about it negatively on Twitter.

If it was given any other title people wouldn't be talking as much, I'll give it that.

Oersted

I'm not surprised at all. I'm just at the eye rolling stage all the time now with them trying to accept credit for a half assed attempt at promoting equality.

Where did you read it is an attempt to promote equality? Are you reaching?

Atlantica Ocean would surely be more appropriate given the female cast? After all, it's frigid and cold. /MRA

Why would this movie need to be considered a reboot? There's already been two sequels to Ocean's Eleven, this one can be a third, and then the fourth can be a crossover between the teams: Oceans' Twenty One

It is a sequel. Rumour is Bullock plays Clooney's sister.

Where did you read it is an attempt to promote equality? Are you reaching?

You're right. I'm assuming something that isn't necessarily inherent. But given that they know how it's going to be received and discussed when they announced it, it's sort of a given. It creates a media stir. But yea, I am reaching.

Dougald

The point was not that film specifically. Just why does it need to be reboots at all versus a new IP that can belong to a female cast. You know? I feel like I can't say exactly what I mean. Can't find the words.

The economics of Cinema have changed, reboots of familiar properties get people into the Theater. The days of people going and just seeing whatever looks good are over, this is why Marvel movies are so successful

That doesn't mean it's a good thing though.

The economics of Cinema have changed, reboots of familiar properties get people into the Theater. The days of people going and just seeing whatever looks good are over, this is why Marvel movies are so successful

That doesn't mean it's a good thing though.

Fuck me, I hope you're wrong... TV save us. Which it has to a degree. TV has never been better, far better than films lately.

JC Lately

They got crossbred into the action movie genre. The Mission: Impossible and Fast and the Furious movies are heist films in all but name. Just add cars and explosions.

Hmm never thought of it that way. Maybe I should give the FF movies a shot. The trailers never grabbed me before.

4Tran

It has to do with how films are financed. A new property has a much harder time getting a greenlight and finding people willing to invest their money into it. There are tons of original ideas floating around in Hollywood, but only a tiny fraction ever get made into films. And this tiny fraction tend to be safer bets and known properties. If you want real originality, then why are you looking at Hollywood films?

kadotsu

Banned
If anyone should be annoyed at this reboot it should be because Soderbergh isn't directing. Even then he only has a 2/3 good track record.

It has to do with how films are financed. A new property has a much harder time getting a greenlight and finding people willing to invest their money into it. There are tons of original ideas floating around in Hollywood, but only a tiny fraction ever get made into films. And this tiny fraction tend to be safer bets and known properties. If you want real originality, then why are you looking at Hollywood films?

Because I'm naively optimistic/idealistic.

kswiston

Clearly the only way to deal with this is a hashtag battle.

#MRAFilms

12 Angry Men in their Parents' Basement
50 First Dates But Never a Second
What Women Don't Want

Dougald

Fuck me, I hope you're wrong... TV save us. Which it has to a degree. TV has never been better, far better than films lately.

Sequels/Reboots don't have to be bad, look at last years Mad Max: Fury Road

Then again, look at last years Terminator Genisys

I agree with you on TV, especially now we have services like Netflix which are less beholden to advertising revenue. Allows for a much bigger variety of content

I think "feminizing" a remake is one of the more-clever trends in Hollywood. Reboots and remakes are always going to happen, It certainly beats just recasting the same roles with a hotter, younger version. If you take a principled stand against remaking any film I guess you can freely criticize it, but I don't believe anyone actually does this, unless they're ready to disavow The Thing. Nor do people seem to mind remaking a non-American film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom