• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... the FeministAMovie hashtag on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekai

But Red Letter Media told me sexist outrage over female centric movies is entirely manufactured by studio marketing teams!

Gonna be hard to sell the "geeks being geeks over a sacred original film" narrative on this one.

RLM has deteriorated in quality hard over the past almost year now. I won't be surprised if they continue this kind of argument if they comment on it. They really have become hack frauds.

BioHazard

I fucking called it but people were like,"Ocean's 11 doesn't have the rabid fanbase of Ghostbusters" when that's not the point. These types just want to hate on anything that pushes women to the fore. They could remake some obscure 50's film 5 people have ever seen with all women and these trolls would be coming out of the woodwork claiming to be the biggest fans and that a female version will ruin the original.

I swear, if they remake Witness for the Prosecution with an all female cast, me and the other Wilder-heads are gonna lose it!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I swear, if they remake Witness for the Prosecution with all all female cast, me and the other Wilder-heads are gonna lose it!

Just wait till Wilma Wonka's Chocolate Factory with poor Charlene and her grandmother. Also including Michelle Tweet, Vernon Salt, Agnes Gloop, and so on.

This reads like such a parody I was confused as to whether it was a joke article poking fun at the actual MGTOW crap. Apparently it isn't though....

"Online adventure". Ha ha holy crap. Keep on fighting the good fight....I guess.

Also, I find it wonderfully ironic that for guys who claim to cut women out of their lives, they spend the entirety of their energy and time looking to spite and insult....women. Hm.

El Topo

This same backlash happened for Star Wars and Mad Max, the difference was the majority including the studio ignored those people and they got crushed when the films had positive sounding development, great trailers, got great reviews, had great word of mouth, and made a lot of money.

Do you have any data for the comparison of the backlash between Star Wars, Mad Max and Ghostbusters? If I only look at GAF, things seem very, very different.

RLM has deteriorated in quality hard over the past almost year now. I won't be surprised if they continue this kind of argument if they comment on it. They really have become hack frauds.

It is incredibly stupid and misleading, full of quotes/clips that are taken out of context and with an embarassing conspiracy theory bar any evidence, but it seems like a very deliberate and well-constructed attempt at cashing in on the current events. I'm pretty sure they don't actually believe the bullshit they're saying in the video.

Saw the Criterion's edition a few months ago, and it's a terrible movie in my opinion. Mostly because of the editing, wooden acting and pace, the cinematography is amazing in the restored version, compared to the brownish hell of the original, but other than that is nothing special.
I'm a big fan of "boring," elegiac Westerns. I would love to see the original cut of Billy Bob Thornton's All the Pretty Horses. I wish I'd opted for the 70mm Hateful 8.
That Hollywood thinks that it can rejuvenate old franchises by just swapping out the male characters for female equivalents and just call it a day. It's not that complicated...
You really think recasting is just a cut-and-replace, without significant changes to dialogue or story? It's not a multiplayer model palette swap.

Mad Max, Charlie's Angels, Pretty Woman, and Wonder Woman are all examples of movies/franchises that have been commercially successful and critically well-received, while at the same time featuring strong female characters/presence. That was the point of listing them as examples.

If was really true that audiences at large just blindly hated on movies for featuring women in them. Those movies would have never done well, or potentially even been green lit.
Mad Max got the same MRA backlash, Charlie's Angels was a movie version of a successful tv show that was made because there was no women's detective show, Pretty Woman was originally a very dark script about prostitution, and Wonder Woman was avoided for years because "nobody wants to see women superheroes."

The recent gender swapping is very blatant pandering to what Hollywood thinks audiences want to see
Are you unfamiliar with how Hollywood works? Soon Hollywood will decide that gender swapping itself was a bad idea, not just making bad gender-swapped movies.

My thoughts exactly. The original Oceans 11 oozed class and sophistication and was an excellent snap shot in that area if how things were. The remakes with Clonney et al were the same.

The cast is interesting but I don't see why they need the Oceans name. I would be in for it.
Have you seen the original Ocean's 11? The Clooney remake came about because all those dudes excitedly got together to watch the Rat Pack version and realized what a piece of crap it was.

Flo_Evans

My point is if a side-effect is that it triggers these whiny crybabies, that's all good by me.

Not sure who is actually being triggered here...

It seems like we went from "don't feed the trolls" to lets give the trolls a megaphone, link to their disgusting blogs, and re-tweet the hell out of their sexist crap.

Parody posts like yours are pretty difficult to tell apart from genuine idiocy.

But to clear. There is no indication studios are targeting people who see women as equals.

No movie is automatically good,

It won't. It makes shitload of money.

This isn't a remake.
I'm doing my best.

Ekai

It seems like we went from "don't feed the trolls" to lets give the trolls a megaphone, link to their disgusting blogs, and re-tweet the hell out of their sexist crap.

Oh please. Us being amused by these pathetic manchildren being triggered by women existing =/= us being "triggered".

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Has the "Let us ignore the problem" approach ever worked?

When the problem is 5 people on twitter who don't matter just saying words? Yes.

If social justice is about correcting all the fringe beliefs on twitter, good luck everyone.

If you know a better way to avoid dog shit then smearing it all over yourself and wrastling random passerbys then I'd like to hear it.

El Topo

If social justice is about correcting all the fringe beliefs on twitter, good luck everyone.

I find the idea that we should not discuss sexist or racist remarks in general very bizarre and you framing it as people trying to "correct" others is downright asinine.
"Don't talk about sexism or racism and it'll go away" just does not work.

BocoDragon

I find the idea that we should not discuss sexist or racist remarks in general very bizarre and you framing it as people trying to "correct" others is downright asinine.
"Don't talk about sexism or racism and it'll go away" just does not work.

The only thing I'm "correcting" anyone on (that's your term, I'm just sharing my view) is proportion.

As long as you know that this story is coming to you from a sensationalized clickbait article created by deep diving into a fringe hashtag, that's on you.

That Hollywood thinks that it can rejuvenate old franchises by just swapping out the male characters for female equivalents and just call it a day. It's not that complicated...

Mad Max, Charlie's Angels, Pretty Woman, and Wonder Woman are all examples of movies/franchises that have been commercially successful and critically well-received, while at the same time featuring strong female characters/presence. That was the point of listing them as examples.

If was really true that audiences at large just blindly hated on movies for featuring women in them. Those movies would have never done well, or potentially even been green lit.

The recent gender swapping is very blatant pandering to what Hollywood thinks audiences want to see, and the feminizeAMovie hashtag is bringing light to the situation by flanderizing the movie titles.

Hollywood from day fucking one has been pandering to men. But apparently everything's gone to shit because we've had two all-women reboots.

Further, I should also note how appropriate it is that you're making these complaints while also demonstrating that you aren't really someone who pays attention to this general problem if you think that Mad Max didn't get gender-based hate/opposition. Shit, even Episode VII got it (and even worse with how Rey was talked about in normal conversation as being a "Mary Sue."

Tall4Life

I'm all for these kinds of reboots, but did the author really have to say that it's good because now it can pass the Bechdel test? To me, its a worthless standard. Just because women in a movie have a conversation about something that isn't about men doesn't mean that it automatically has a better portrayal of women characters. Legally Blonde passes the Bechdel Test, and I doubt that anyone would argue for that movie having strong, independent female characters whose existence doesn't center around men. Meanwhile, Run Lola Run doesn't pass the Bechdel test. And I'd certainly say that the latter did more for women in movies than Legally Blonde.

The goal of including women in movies should be to give them roles in which they have personal agency and are not just an attraction or a sidepiece. Rebooting Ocean's 11 like they are planning to is a cool idea and I want to see how it pans out. But saying that its a victory for feminism that more movies can pass the Bechdel test diminishes the actual goal and point of doing all of this in the first place.

I'm all for these kinds of reboots, but did the author really have to say that it's good because now it can pass the Bechdel test? To me, its a worthless standard. Just because women in a movie have a conversation about something that isn't about men doesn't mean that it automatically has a better portrayal of women characters. Legally Blonde passes the Bechdel Test, and I doubt that anyone would argue for that movie having strong, independent female characters whose existence doesn't center around men. Meanwhile, Run Lola Run doesn't pass the Bechdel test. And I'd certainly say that the latter did more for women in movies than Legally Blonde.

The goal of including women in movies should be to give them roles in which they have personal agency and are not just an attraction or a sidepiece. Rebooting Ocean's 11 like they are planning to is a cool idea and I want to see how it pans out. But saying that its a victory for feminism that more movies can pass the Bechdel test diminishes the actual goal and point of doing all of this in the first place.

There can be multiple reasons to do something like this. Wanting to do better according to the Bechdel Test can be one of these things.

This is one of the most pathetic things I've read ever.

Beef is quite expensive as I write this but chicken is cheap and in Dallas, I can buy a “family pack” (heh) of 7-9 boned (heh), skinless chicken breasts (heh)

This may as well be the tagline for MGTOW.

Brakke

Banned
Have you seen the original Ocean's 11? The Clooney remake came about because all those dudes excitedly got together to watch the Rat Pack version and realized what a piece of crap it was.

I went to watch the original after I'd seen the Clooney version, thinking "oh man I definitely wanna see this slick clever cool dudes movie but with the Rat Pack!" but then the original was so bad and boring. What a letdown.

TheMink

I went to watch the original after I'd seen the Clooney version, thinking "oh man I definitely wanna see this slick clever cool dudes movie but with the Rat Pack!" but then the original was so bad and boring. What a letdown.

That's interestingly what made it such a good canidate for a remake imo.

Hard to live up to a classic.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
weird.

i think ghostbusters is fine, but oceans anything shouldnt ever be thought about again, 11 was cool and the rest were stinkers. Just seems like a poor idea and now i have to be reminded about how this movie got run into the ground by shrill sexists for however long production will take :/

TwiztidElf

#FictionHowDoesThatWork?
TTeWbOC.jpg

Well I'm not sure what movement you were talking about then. I thought you were speaking about the people hating on the films for no good reason except women or being PC or whatever hurt their masculine sensibilities.

This isn't a movement, this is just Hollywood 101. Remember when Transformers was a hit and they started pumping out big budget action movies based on every other popular toy or board game they could get the rights too? This isn't some movement, this is just the suits trying to capitalize on the current zeitgeist. There is no movement and I think you're either reading into this far too much or just talking out your ass as Wonder Woman isn't out and the Charlie's Angels movies were all turds for the critics.

And again there was indeed a backlash from the usual suspects about the strong female focus of Mad Max.
No, you're right. I shouldn't have used the word "movement." This thing is just a silly hashtag that was trending for a bit.

So, because studios are giving audiences what they think they want it's a problem. How is that different than greenlighting a dozen super hero movies, a new Star Wars series, a Magnificent 7 remake, movies based on recent topical events, or a movie based on a popular TV show?
Those are all blatant attempts to grab peoples money so why does it only seem to be a problem in the case of putting an all female cast?

Well yeah. TV tropes has a huge article on the phenomenon, it's called "Executive meddling."

Regarding super hero movies: you can pick any thread about the X-Men/Spider-Man movies on GAF and you'll find dozens upon dozens of posters calling for Sony/Fox to give the IPs back to marvel. All the DCU films so far have gotten heavy backlash as well.

And Star Wars has a whole contingent of fans that refuse to acknowledge the prequel trilogy was ever made.

Sequelitis has been an issue in Hollywood for decades. The only thing that is different in this situation is that Hollywood thought it could escape the usual backlash by gender swapping the lead roles.

Oersted

The only thing that is different in this situation is that Hollywood thought it could escape the usual backlash by gender swapping the lead roles.

You are the very first person to propose this. And it is a little bit insane.

Since when get sequels per se backlash in a meaningful manner?

BocoDragon

Looks like basically no one is even complaining about the movie. It's basically a comedy hashtag.

This doesn't show bigotry. It shows how many bad amateur comedians there are.

I don't mind the larger conversation about gender representation, but when people barely read their HuffPo clickbait pieces about a bunch of trolls half heartedly farting their comedy bits into a tweet form and making it out to be some organized hate campaign, I feel we aren't talking about reality anymore.

I'm perfectly okay with fighting back against MRA douches with film concepts like this.

That's alright. Still, it's just a gimmick. If they were just going to make a heist film with an all-female cast, I don't think there would be any backlash to it.

Have you seen Set It Off, yet?
It's interesting how Set It Off didn't create much of a backlash but back in the 90s, black culture and hip hop was gigantic so a film with black female leads didn't seem that out of the ordinary. This interview with one of the screenwriters, Takashi Bufford, explains it:

Why is that we don’t have as many black films on screen as we did in the 90s?

TB: Well, back then we had a lot of films that studios wanted. For the last 4 or 5 years, we’ve had primarily Tyler Perry and everybody is on his bandwagon, which limits the scope of the black experience that’s expressed through film. I think bootlegging is another economic issue that undermines the black films. Additionally, it seems that P & A and its cost has caused many black films to go straight to DVD. When you take that combination of factors, we can see why there’s such a dearth of black films today.​

It wasn't based on a known property, either, so nerds wouldn't lash out. I'd love there to be another black female action movie in modern times.

Set It Off was rejected 3 times by the studio at first though because they didn't think black males would identify:

Was there resistance getting the film off the ground?

TB: I thought there was a hungry market. When we took ‘Set It Off’ to New Line Cinema, they rejected it three times and the reason they rejected it is that they thought black males would not support a film with gunslinging black females. That obviously proved not to be true.​

Blackfilm: ‘Set It Off’ 15 Years Later

The people posting those tweets are scum, but I wonder if this is another case of the media trying to make it seem like a few thousand people are actually some sort of giant movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom