• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros Firms ‘Ocean’s 8’ Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jb

Great cast, and the director has done some alright stuff.

It's going to be hard to match what Soderbergh did in the first remake though. "Simply" gender-swapping the cast won't be enough if both the script and direction aren't up to snuff. From what I've heard that was kind of the issue with the Ghostbusters reboot.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sigh.

This is the road people take now. Look I'm a hardcore feminist comparatively to the average guy and I live in NYC. I shouldn't even have to say that to justify my opinion and I'm so tired of being shoved together with every misogynistic dude because I don't want another absolute trash remake. Or another remake in general.

I think its hilarious that people are so set on these gender flipped films. You're just riding on the coat tails of a film filmed with men and simultaneously continuing the lack of originality in modern Hollywood. That's not how you continue the advancement of women and that's usually not how you create a memorable film.

It doesn't bother me in that none of the characters in the Ocean's remakes were interesting or particularly memorable to begin with. But yes, I agree it reeks of "lazy" to just to remake a movie with distaff counterparts and claim its the "feminist version." There's also something cynical about the idea a stock Vegas Caper movie starring women wouldn't be successful without being attached to an aging, irrelevant brand like "Ocean's."

Oersted

It doesn't bother me in that none of the characters in the Ocean's remakes were interesting or particularly memorable to begin with. But yes, I agree it reeks of "lazy" to just to remake a movie with distaff counterparts and claim its the "feminist version." There's also something cynical about the idea a stock Vegas Caper movie starring women wouldn't be successful without being attached to an aging, irrelevant brand like "Ocean's."

Besides you, who claimed it is a feminist version?

Edit:

Should we count him?

Politically correct Hollywood strikes again. Hope the movie's at least good.

Does it hurt or something?

No, but there's nothing wrong with a movie that's primarily about women. Especially in a culture where a good majority of films and stories are primarily about men.

But I didn't say that. I just said I'd rather watch a movie with men and women working together.

If you guys want an all-female heist/bank robbery film, I suggest Set It Off.

Sigh.

This is the road people take now. Look I'm a hardcore feminist comparatively to the average guy and I live in NYC. I shouldn't even have to say that to justify my opinion and I'm so tired of being shoved together with every misogynistic dude because I don't want another absolute trash remake. Or another remake in general.

I think its hilarious that people are so set on these gender flipped films. You're just riding on the coat tails of a film filmed with men and simultaneously continuing the lack of originality in modern Hollywood. That's not how you continue the advancement of women and that's usually not how you create a memorable film.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to agree with you. Plus there's a culture war going on, and this film will get strongly disliked off the strength of it being another gender flipped feminist agenda remake and probably do poor business at the box office, unless of course they budget it right unlike Ghostbusters.

But I didn't say that. I just said I'd rather watch a movie with men and women working together.

If you guys want an all-female heist/bank robbery film, I suggest Set It Off.

Set It Off is great too. Good suggestion.

Abounder

Banned
Now that's one hell of a cast, unlike Ghostbusters which somehow spent over $140m and had little starpower to show for it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
You realize that Ocean's 11 was already a remake, right?

More representation is always a positive thing. This film's existence doesn't preclude original films starring women from existing, if anything, it opens the door for those films.

Situation reminds me of that Simpsons episode with The Bloodening where the parents yelled at their kids and then the parents parents yelled at their kids.

We need OG Oceans 11 fans to come in this thread and say it was better with Frankie.

Oersted

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to agree with you. Plus there's a culture war going on, and this film will get strongly disliked off the strength of it being another gender flipped feminist agenda remake and probably do poor business at the box office, unless of course they budget it right unlike Ghostbusters.

Set It Off is great too. Good suggestion.

Is sexism so deeply entranched in our culture, such business as usual that a female cast is another gender flipped feminist agenda remake?

Now that's one hell of a cast, unlike Ghostbusters which somehow spent over $140m and had little starpower to show for it.

Special effects, how do they work.

Now I know Slayven is around here somewhere...

Don't worry I got him

tumblr_inline_not60uuf4Q1rfjcg0_500.gif

def' keep an eye out on this.

i know she was just in the Suicide Squad movie and busy with S3 of HTGAWM but Violia Davis would've been perfect for this movie

Based on the cast, did they really need the Ocean's brand to make a caper movie? I loved Ocean's 11, but 12/13 did not convince me they could make another good one.

Henkka

Banned
I see gender swaps as a lazy thing, but not as a feminist agenda thing, hope the movie does well though.

Creatively, it's an easy way to distinguish a remake from the movie it's based on. Marketing wise, it ensures the movie will at least have some buzz surrounding it. I doubt the executives give a shit about feminism.

Solid cast but I don't know that we're quite looking at the female equivalent of Ocean's 11 in terms of star power. I guess they couldn't afford ScarJo.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I can't wait for the Ocean's 11 "fans" to come out of the woodwork to tell us what a travesty this is and how it will destroy the reputation of the original films and how Hollywood is out of ideas and has just change the sex of the actors, yada yada yada.

Honestly, I don't think there are any die-hard fans of Ocean's 11.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Besides you, who claimed it is a feminist version?

Edit:

Should we count him?

Does it hurt or something?

The guy I was responding to who brought it up to begin with?

Abounder

Banned
Based on the cast, did they really need the Ocean's brand to make a caper movie? I loved Ocean's 11, but 12/13 did not convince me they could make another good one.

The cast may not have been interested without the Ocean brand, and it's an easy way to get huge cameos from Clooney/Damon/etc.

It feels like a gimmick. Reeks of marketing. Go see Set It Off, though.

This. Although the actors giving this film any credibility and legitimacy is Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, and Helena Bonham Carter. Rihanna is going to be there for eye candy. I suspect Mindy Kaling and Awkwafina will be there for comedy relief. There going to have big shoes to fill in that category as the other Ocean's had Bernie Mac and Don Cheadle.

Honestly, I don't think there are any die-hard fans of Ocean's 11.

I'm probably one of them but I don't care about the all female cast ; what I'm worried about is how they can try to the renew the Ocean's formula, 12 and 13 weren't poorly received but it basically was "well, it's just another one"

The project wouldn't exist without the Ocean's brand, so this is kind of an irrelevant point.

Studio projects like this typically don't begin with a concept, that is then grafted onto whatever brand fits best. What likely happened is someone at Warner thought: "We could probably make a profitable Ocean's continuation, let's start on that." They hired a team to start developing it, and someone had the idea: "What if we had a cast of women?" and the higher-ups at the studios signed off on the idea. It's not like there's an alternate reality where this project would exist as an original film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom