• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros Firms ‘Ocean’s 8’ Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

I don't think Helen is the Andy Garcia of the group. She would fall into the Saul role probably.

Actually feel like Blanchett would be the pick. Can see Sandra being the lead or Brad Pitts part. Probably brad.

Busty

Banned
tumblr_lt43drqmvE1qewmu6o1_500.gif

I loved all three of Soderburgh's Ocean films (yes, even the second one) so I'm all for more of the same.

I really don't want this.

So just don't go and see it then.

Sorted.

The Oceans fan base (if one even exists) isn't filled with nerds who have an allergy towards women not covered in make-up and wearing booty shorts. No one will complain.

Why not make a separate original property? The only reason to keep the name is brand recognition. Ghostbusters is a specific concept. Oceans is just an ensemble heist film.

Sigh.

This is the road people take now. Look I'm a hardcore feminist comparatively to the average guy and I live in NYC. I shouldn't even have to say that to justify my opinion and I'm so tired of being shoved together with every misogynistic dude because I don't want another absolute trash remake. Or another remake in general.

I think its hilarious that people are so set on these gender flipped films. You're just riding on the coat tails of a film filmed with men and simultaneously continuing the lack of originality in modern Hollywood. That's not how you continue the advancement of women and that's usually not how you create a memorable film.

kswiston

Sigh.

This is the road people take now. Look I'm a hardcore feminist comparatively to the average guy and I live in NYC. I shouldn't even have to say that to justify my opinion and I'm so tired of being shoved together with every misogynistic dude because I don't want another absolute trash remake. Or another remake in general.

I think its hilarious that people are so set on these gender flipped films. You're just riding on the coat tails of a film filmed with men and simultaneously continuing the lack of originality in modern Hollywood. That's not how you continue the advancement of women and that's usually not how you create a memorable film.

So you aren't going to buy a ticket for Batwoman v Supergirl in 2026?

Oersted

Is this going to be closer to the original, to the Soderbergh movies or a different direction?

It's got more potential to deliver than ghostbusters did but I hope they try to actually make a movie with a script then pander to feminist and just take jabs at men. Good luck to them and hope they pull it off.

Poor men. Pandering to feminists, whatever that means, is now a bad thing. That is a strong persecution complex.

The most damning thing about this whole thread is that Busty liked Ocean's Twelve

Unless it was because of the sick dance beat laser evasion scene

Sigh.

You realize that Ocean's 11 was already a remake, right?

More representation is always a positive thing. This film's existence doesn't preclude original films starring women from existing, if anything, it opens the door for those films.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because that worked so well for Ghostbusters. At least this one has solid talent, so stoked for this, even expecting another box office backslash.

I mean, this comparison is so ridiculously inapt I don't know where to begin.

SJRB

Gold Member
I love the Oceans movies, and this is an interesting approach.

Hope this cast has the same chemistry as the old cast, Clooney + Pitt was a god-tier duo.

Can't wait, loved Oceans 11(the remake) and this cast looks promising too.

Add Rachel Weisz and Helen Mirren please, Can't see Julia Roberts not making an appearance too.

Xenoboy

I would rather have Bullock, Blanchet, Portman, Kailing, Amy Adams, Betty White, Viola Davis and of course the lovely Julia Roberts.

Instead I'll have to settle for Rihanna? Meh.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I dont even remember that. It's possible I didnt watch the entire thing. It would have been on television. I didnt spend theatre money on it.

It's not a very good movie in general, but it also fails to feel like the original much at all. 13 at least got back to feeling like a fun heist.

Bluenoser

Ocean's 11 was one of my favorite movies ever. Despite the great cast here, I have extremely low expectations. Hope I'm wrong.

Edit: I should clarify that I don't have low expectations because of a woman cast. I just think it's risky trying to replicate success. For what it's worth, I wasn't too happy with the outcomes of Ocean's 12/13 either, and thought they were pretty lackluster compared to 11.

Geist-

Always up for another heist movie and this one has some talent behind it. Then again it's Warner Bros and we all know how they love to micromanage.

jett

D-Member
Julia Roberts wasn't even back for Ocean's 13 so I'm not surprised she's not back for this either.

How you gonna post a gif of that shit

Gifs don't have sound

This however does

lol you got me there

I dont even remember that. It's possible I didnt watch the entire thing. It would have been on television. I didnt spend theatre money on it.

If you don't remember at least that I don't think you watched the whole movie. I thought O12 was enjoyable even if the entire plot ends up being a royal waste of time. In O11, they trick the bad guy. In 012, they literally tricked the audience. :p

Viewt

Sigh.

I understand where you're coming from, but you have to keep in mind that the movie industry doesn't owe you anything. That sounds harsher than I mean it, but these remakes/reboots/recasts/etc are coming regardless, and honestly, it's nothing new. How often do we celebrate awesome music covers, or tout the performances in great Broadway/West End theater revivals? This is just the film industry's version of that, and I don't have a problem with it.

This is the best time in the history of the world to be a fan of film. It's never been easier for young, independent voices to scrape together a little money, film a 90-minute feature on a shoestring budget, and release it to anyone willing to give up their time. And at the same time, we're also offering insanely diverse options for blockbuster spectacle, if that's your thing.

I guess my question would be, what are the films that you want to see made, but aren't? Just original stuff? There are hundreds of original films released every year, and that's just in English. Is it because you want to see them in a theater setting? Because in a world where the theater can't count on people showing up because they "just want something to do," that reality is long-since over. But if you're willing to look around online, and take the time to immerse yourself in independent film, you'd have nothing to complain about.

So back to ladies in Ocean's 8. That's cool. I liked Ghostbusters (not loved, but liked), and if we can get more of the same in terms of women starring in tentpole features, then I'm all for it. Men have been reaping the rewards of releasing mainstream, fan-pleasing films for the history of the medium. Women deserve their slice of the pie. And it actually works out better for you that way, too.

Think about it. The more women can elevate their sensibilities into mainstream film, the more we'll see female representation in all facets of the industry, from production roles to executive management. And the less homogenous that upper rung of money people is, the less homogenous film itself will be, i.e. more original.

Anyway, Ocean's 8. Dope. I like the Soderbergh flicks, so I'll check this out.

The most damning thing about this whole thread is that Busty liked Ocean's Twelve

Unless it was because of the sick dance beat laser evasion scene

You joke, but that scene was dope. And Vincent Cassel is a treasure.

stuminus3

Super diverse casting, sounds good.

Sigh.

Be patient my dude. We're on a path. These so-called "gender flipped" movies are part of the journey.

I'm in. I really liked the modern ocean movies, especially the first and third.

Also, i've always had a crush on Hathaway haha. Too bad she won't be wearing the cat women outfit while doing a heist lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom