• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... the FeministAMovie hashtag on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fucking called it but people were like,"Ocean's 11 doesn't have the rabid fanbase of Ghostbusters" when that's not the point. These types just want to hate on anything that pushes women to the fore. They could remake some obscure 50's film 5 people have ever seen with all women and these trolls would be coming out of the woodwork claiming to be the biggest fans and that a female version will ruin the original.

Hmmm...

Gozan

The only thing confused about the cast was Rihanna. What is she doing there with real actresses like Cate Blanchette, Anne Hathaway, Sandra Bullock and Helena Bonham Carter. She was so bad in Battleship it was distracting.

It's Hollywood, so I'm assuming she's the Chinese contortionist.

I'm not overly fond of Old Movie But With Blank Now. Like I said in the other thread, it feels like a gimmick. I don't want diversity to be a gimmick or a selling point. I just want it to be. I'll still probably watch this because the cast already seems great. I'm thirsty for some Awkwafina.

Three Men & The Baby I Didn't Want To Raise
#FeministAMovie
The fat and the furious #FeministAMovie
#FeministAMovie the 90 Year Old Virgin
Honey I took ur money #FeministAMovie
Somebody should really teach these people how satire works...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Since "Ocean's" refers to Danny Ocean, played by Clooney, I'm curious as to where that surname ties into this spinoff/reboot. How does it fit?

Isn't Sandra Bullock playing his sister who has been in jail for several years? That's what I remember reading about this a long time ago.

Zekes!

I didn't even know that the new Ocean's 11 movie was an an all female squad

That's more interesting than what I assumed was gonna be Clooney and the dudes again

SaganIsGOAT

I just don't get why people get so bent out of shape over this stuff.

Co-Worker in regards to the new Ghostbusters.

"I'm not sexist, but I think they ruined it by having an all female cast."

lol. I love any sentence that starts with, "I'm not [INSERT TITLE], but...." always cracks me up that people think that is a get out of jail free card.

capitalism will win the day. If the female remakes do well, then more will be made. Ghostbusters got it off to a bad start but if the female Oceans 11 can keep their budget low and fans show up it could be very profitable

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm increasingly skeptical why "some people said things on Twitter" is a story, and why we should collectively react to it.

It seems like we as a society decided YouTube comments were pure garbage, but then we sit in rapt attention as garbage people tweet garbage things? Why?

Twitter abuse and harassment? Yeah that's something we should care about. Twitter garbage opinions? Just block and ignore this from your lives... Come on.

Sorcerer

Why can't this be Ocean's 14? Why reboot this particular movie again? Makes no sense if Bullock is related to Clooney as someone suggested.

no angel

Clearly the only way to deal with this is a hashtag battle.

#MRAFilms

12 Angry Men in their Parents' Basement
50 First Dates But Never a Second
What Women Don't Want
Fedora The Explorer
White Men Can't Catch A Break In Today's Society
No Country For (old) Men
Men Hurr

Breads

Banned
So having a female cast is the pushing of/ product of an agenda? Of feminism? It can't just be.... a female cast to them?

That's fucking dumb. Why do these idiots feel so threatened.

MutFox

Banned
Sorry, but the nice guy with mild tone, reasonable points of discussion, constructive criticism and praise doesn't generate as many clicks.

The people clicking/sharing are just continuing this stupidity.
We are giving these few too much of a voice.

Breads

Banned
I don't see them, but there is always a (silly) unconscious assumption people on Internet will be around my age.
This always reminds me that yep, 14 years old boys also have access to Internet.

I mean, we all know studios frivolously do this because it'll get the feminist audience but this doesn't mean the movies will be good at all. Then again, they were going to remake them anyway.

I hope it stops the "fairy tale as an epic" trend though. That's fucking annoying.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Didn't in the other thread they were going the "Prequel" route persay

Ocean's 8, 9, 10 as the female cast, then the 3 male ones as 11, 12, 13

Nice ensemble of female chars that should compliment each other
Please do not shoehorn all the actresses into the same male role and call it a day

Point is to make the characters feel like they are the character
I swear if they go Sandra Bullock is the Danby Ocean type, "actress lead #2" as Brad Pitt char, youve doomed your movie from the start

Hollywood can reboot/remake but stop putting the same arc types and just replace a penis for a vagina doesn't cut it
Let the females setup their own quirks and style, I swear Bullock will ape Clooney's Danny verbatim in style/speak/act

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ocean's 11 was a 1960 film that's only famous because it starred the Rat Pack.

I wasn't referring to Ocean's 11 when I made that comment. I was just stating that that a studio could pull out some barely heard of movie from the 50's, remake it with a female cast and it would still get a ton of shit from "fans" saying its an affront to the original or what not.

Oersted

I mean, we all know studios frivolously do this because it'll get the feminist audience but this doesn't mean the movies will be good at all. Then again, they were going to remake them anyway.

I hope it stops the "fairy tale as an epic" trend though. That's fucking annoying.

Parody posts like yours are pretty difficult to tell apart from genuine idiocy.

But to clear. There is no indication studios are targeting people who see women as equals.

No movie is automatically good,

It won't. It makes shitload of money.

This isn't a remake.

D i Z

It's a safe bet that things are going to continue to get worse, and this isn't a 'trend' that is going away.

In regards to the film itself, I'm down with everything about this. I just hope they give it the care that it is going to need to be good. The cast is interesting, and I'm a fan of most. I'm sure I can leave my issues with Kaling behind for an hour or two and just enjoy the performance. Bring it on!

Who cares? Seriously I dont get what the gender of the cast has to do with the quality of the film. I wasnt crazy about the new ghostbusters, but I also would have felt the same way if the cast was all male, or mix gendered. My issues more stemmed to the tone and what the film was trying to be as opposed to what it should be. That sounds like a pretty good cast for a new oceans! Hopefully the direction and writing is there to help that.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
But Red Letter Media told me sexist outrage over female centric movies is entirely manufactured by studio marketing teams!

Gonna be hard to sell the "geeks being geeks over a sacred original film" narrative on this one.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
But Red Letter Media told me sexist outrage over female centric movies is entirely manufactured by studio marketing teams!

Gonna be hard to sell the "geeks being geeks over a sacred original film" narrative on this one.

RLM were up their own asses trying to defend that nonsense even if they might have touched upon some good points.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

The point of RLM was that it was a minority of sexist internet trolls was blamed for a popular rejection towards the concept of Ghostbusters 16.

Now we have a story about a minority of internet trolls.

You are incredibly too early to jump on the "see RLM??" train with this one. The fact that you've rushed to jump at sexist shadows actually builds their point.

Stupid reboot. Stupid sexists.

I'm sick of everything having to be part of a franchise anyway. Why does it need to be oceans 11 to be a cool all female heist film?
My thoughts exactly. The original Oceans 11 oozed class and sophistication and was an excellent snap shot in that area if how things were. The remakes with Clonney et al were the same.

The cast is interesting but I don't see why they need the Oceans name. I would be in for it.

Most of those "clever" titles seem to be criticisms aimed at the content of those movies. Like the James Bond sexual content one. I wouldn't understand what the hell the people behind this were trying to do if I didn't read the article.

...So I don't think this hashtag was thought out too well.

Ekai

I fucking called it but people were like,"Ocean's 11 doesn't have the rabid fanbase of Ghostbusters" when that's not the point. These types just want to hate on anything that pushes women to the fore. They could remake some obscure 50's film 5 people have ever seen with all women and these trolls would be coming out of the woodwork claiming to be the biggest fans and that a female version will ruin the original.

Took the words right out of my keyboard.
I'm not overly fond of Old Movie But With Blank Now. Like I said in the other thread, it feels like a gimmick. I don't want diversity to be a gimmick or a selling point. I just want it to be. I'll still probably watch this because the cast already seems great. I'm thirsty for some Awkwafina.

I'm perfectly okay with fighting back against MRA douches with film concepts like this.

RLM never denied that sexism/racism didn't exist in terms of the backlash against GB16, they just argued it was a vocal minority who were given a platform by the studio by drawing attention to it instead of ignoring it. This same backlash happened for Star Wars and Mad Max, the difference was the majority including the studio ignored those people and they got crushed when the films had positive sounding development, great trailers, got great reviews, had great word of mouth, and made a lot of money. GB16 had concerning development, bad trailers, got mixed reviews, had mixed word of mouth, and underperformed. Oceans 8 so far has positive development in its casting and if the trailer looks good the sexist minority will be blown out by the masses who'll be generally excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom