• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CEO 2015 Fighting Game Tournament - June 26-28

Exile20

What are friday afternoon stream numbers usually for the first day of a tournament?

p.s. fuck marvel. It just happens to be slightly more entertaining than SFIV at the moment.

Melee is 7000
SF is about 6700
Smash 4 is 4600

Melee and Smash 4 is also doubles which isn't the highlight of competitive Smash. I hate watching doubles Smash but love 1 on 1.

Would like to know unique entrants. Unless they're all different people

There's probably more overlap among those four games than there is overlap between the two Smash games which share 102 entrants.

Is it typical for Smash 4 to get more entries than Melee these days?

yes for FGC events, not so much for Smash-centric events (which is why SmashCon is mildly interesting)

Mr. Thee

Neo Member

Typically no. The $500 bounty for knocking Zero out plus a recent movement by the 4 community to develop a community infrastructure are mostly to owe for that. This is 4's biggest tournament until Evo happens so for them it's a proving grounds.

No. Melee usually beats it out on all fronts, from entrants, to stream numbers. I believe this is the first time for a national.

This is good for Smash4. But it's not too surprising because the main event of CEO 2015 is clearly Smash4 with the whole "undisputed, undefeated best" ZeRo in attendance with people that can legitimately beat him for the first time since Apex. A bounty has even been put on his head, whoever eliminates him gets a bonus. There's a lot of hype for it.

Although Melee singles could end up reaching the CEO cap too as late registrations are being allowed and the Melee community is notorious for late entrants. EVO 15 is where the hype for Melee will really show, with the whole "Mango 3VO" coming into play.

Mr. Thee

Neo Member
another thing worth noting: there are been rumblings about making Smash4's primary match format Doubles instead of singles. I'm personally quite on board with it, and I'm a more of a Melee person myself.

Tripon

Melee is 7000
SF is about 6700
Smash 4 is 4600

Melee and Smash 4 is also doubles which isn't the highlight of competitive Smash. I hate watching doubles Smash but love 1 on 1.
The channel you are on is very important. VGbootcamp 1/2 and TeamSpooky are the most popular Smash and FGC streams respectively. Whatever channel Marvel is on just won't be able to compete with that.

When Marvel has top 8 on Sunday, it will get the numbers it usually gets.

Did MvC3 die because of the game being removed from PSN/XBL etc?

Marvel is a game that thrived on finding new things, such as team compositions, setups, and combos. More than other fighting games I would say. Once the novelty isn't there, it's not a game that captures people.

Did MvC3 die because of the game being removed from PSN/XBL etc?
Zero balance updates + game is figured out + some stuff is really strong compared to other options.

Marvel is a game that thrived on finding new things, such as team compositions, setups, and combos. More than other fighting games I would say. Once the novelty isn't there, it's not a game that captures people.
I think it is more that people like playing their own creations, and the current state of balance is not very flexible in that regard. I still enjoy playing my teams.

Top Bottom