• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
IMO USA starters should go like this:

Goalkeepers:
Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids, USA)

Defenders:
Edgar Castillo (Monterrey, MEX), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin, GER), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City, ENG), DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland, ENG)

Midfielders:
Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach,GER), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC, CAN), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers, USA)

Attackers:
Bobby Wood (Hamburg, GER), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC, USA), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund, GER)

Cystm

If we start Bradley DM and Nagbe in the attack, we'll do well. If he has Beckerman in DM we'll be playing catch up and be blown out.

Nagbe and Bradley with either Bedoya
vich /Jon Stewart
or JJones.

gutshot

Meanwhile, in Argentina...

The Argentine FA (AFA) has threatened to pull the nation out of the Copa America Centenario after accusing the government of "clear interference."

Argentina are among the favourites for the tournament in the United States and are due to play their first match against holders Chile in Santa Clara, California, on June 7.

However, their participation has been thrown into doubt by the AFA after the Argentine government suspended the federation's presidential elections, which had been scheduled for June 30, and appointed two inspectors to investigate allegations that TV revenues had been misappropriated.

AFA executive secretary Damian Dupiellet told radio station La Red that an emergency board meeting would decide whether the national team should be brought back to Argentina from their pre-tournament base in California.

"The elections are suspended for 90 days and could be suspended for 90 days more," Dupiellet said, according to Clarin. "Two inspectors have been sent to carry out an internal review. This is clear interference in the life of the AFA."

FIFA has suspended a number of nations in recent years for government interference, including Nigeria, Cameroon and Indonesia, and Dupiellet added: "We will ask CONMEBOL and FIFA to evaluate if this is against their institutions' rules.

"The Executive Board will decide tomorrow [Tuesday] if the national team must return to Argentina."

http://www.espnfc.com/argentina/sto...a-threaten-copa-america-centenario-withdrawal

I knew AFA has been like crap for a lot of time, but I never thought it was so bad. Martino hasn't received any payment for seven months. What the hell.

I hope Argentina doesn't pull out.

ZZMitch

I knew AFA has been like crap for a lot of time, but I never thought it was so bad. Martino hasn't received any payment for seven months. What the hell.

I hope Argentina doesn't pull out.

I would be shocked if they do. FIFA would come down hard on a team pulling out of a major tournament so close to kick off.

Fireblend

Banned
Looks like Keylor Navas A.K.A. Patron Saint of Costa Rica won't be available for the tournament due to being injured. Maybe the press will still find a way to make every single news to come out of this about him though, like they'll claim he has psychic powers and is able to will balls away from the goal line like he did in the champions final.

Santiako

Who's taking bets on how many people Suarez will bite?

If he bites again he's looking at a year suspension at least (probably career ending) so I doubt he'll do it again. He probably bites on a log for a while before stepping into the field.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If he bites again he's looking at a year suspension at least (probably career ending) so I doubt he'll do it again. He probably bites on a log for a while before stepping into the field.

Really it depends on how much he likes Mexican food.

jrmanimal

Another two changes at brazilian squad.

Éderson (Benfica) ->
Marcelo Grohe (Grêmio) <-

Rafinhas (Barcelona) ->
Lucas Moura (PSG) <-

This will be interesting because my mother's Colombian, and I've been cheering them on for a few years now. Going to the only soccer bar in town with a Colombian jersey on Friday might be fun, or I might get beat up by drunks. Hard to tell!

Eila

I would be shocked if they do. FIFA would come down hard on a team pulling out of a major tournament so close to kick off.

Not really. This already happened in 2001, when Argentina and Canada declined to go a day before the competition started, although the circumstances were quite different.

Eila

Looks like Navas will miss out the Copa America. This guy always gets injured right before important competitions for Costa Rica.

TheMan

wow, excited to see Haiti play. They used to be good in the 50s, no? My dad will be pretty stoked too.

v1lla21

Teams are practicing at avaya stadium and elsewhere here in San Jose/ Santa Clara. I'm going to drive around today and see if I can watch them train. They probably won't let me get too close :(

gutshot

Crossposting this from the American soccer OT, since people in here were talking about watching both the Copa and Euros. Now you can easily plan your viewing schedule.

GKqgd23.jpg

Tecl0n

We finally got rid of fucking Biglia.

About fucking time he's out. Come on Lio, bring us the Copa.

There is no easy way to say this but...

Martino believes Biglia is a key part of the team, so they backed from the original decision and are now waiting until saturday (last possible day to change called players) to call Pizarro. A similiar thing is happenning with Lavezzi and Pastore who are not fit to play yet the coaching staff believes they can maybe play the hipothetical last two or three games.

v1lla21

Argentina is staying at Hayes Mansion in Sout San Jose for those who live in the bay and want to try and get lucky.

Santiako

There is no easy way to say this but...

Martino believes Biglia is a key part of the team, so they backed from the original decision and are now waiting until saturday (last possible day to change called players) to call Pizarro. A similiar thing is happenning with Lavezzi and Pastore who are not fit to play yet the coaching staff believes they can maybe play the hipothetical last two or three games.

Goddamit. Martino is such a garbage coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom