• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossposting this from the American soccer OT, since people in here were talking about watching both the Copa and Euros. Now you can easily plan your viewing schedule.

Oh my goodness I'm loving this schedule. So this is what living in Europe during a World Cup feels? All Copa America matches starting after 7pm EDT in comfortable timeslots. No 9 am games in a weekday, goddammit! Unless I wanted to see the Euro of course.

It should be a fun summer. I know what I'll be doing on weekends. It'll be all day football!

This will be interesting because my mother's Colombian, and I've been cheering them on for a few years now. Going to the only soccer bar in town with a Colombian jersey on Friday might be fun, or I might get beat up by drunks. Hard to tell!

Haha same deal with me. But my mom's family and I will be storming a bar in our jerseys and flags. JAAAAAAMES

Now Kaká got cut! It's a party!

Ganso called as replacement.

Too bad, Kaká is one of my all time fav players. I know he is far from his best version, but still.

Matías Fernández (Chile) is out too, due to a knee injury. Bummer cause he was the one called to replace Valdivia. I don't know how, but Pizzi will have to do some magic in order to give our team a solid "10".

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
if Haiti beats Brazil next week

I'll go straight to JFK, over night flight so I can be there for that week long party lol

Kuro

feels like players are just straight up quitting the copa,
Pretty smart not getting associated with what will be a shit team.

Clydefrog

Here we go!

My extremely optomistic predictions for the tourney. Ignore the grey stuff on the left:

3EEtAvl.png

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Crossposting this from the American soccer OT, since people in here were talking about watching both the Copa and Euros. Now you can easily plan your viewing schedule.

That's a pretty bonkers summer of soccers. Pfft who needs a world cup.

RBH

I'm still a bit disappointed that Atlanta wasn't chosen as one of the venues.

Feel like the attendance figures for international friendlies at the Georgia Dome over the years would be reason enough.

I guess they were waiting for the new stadium in the future

Cappa

Banned
I hope I'm wrong but this Copa America seems like it's going to be a snooze fest. Brazil could care less about it, alot of stars missing from National teams, the winner besides the trophy(lol) just gets bragging rights since Chile will still be the official team Representing South America in the confederation cup.

I hope I'm wrong but this Copa America seems like it's going to be a snooze fest. Brazil could care less about it, alot of stars missing from National teams, the winner besides the trophy(lol) just gets bragging rights since Chile will still be the official team Representing South America in the confederation cup.

Let's not pretend the Confed Cup is some sort of prize lol.

It's Copa America. The matches will be competitive because these rivalries run deep.

Cappa

Banned
Let's not pretend the Confed Cup is some sort of prize lol.

It's Copa America. The matches will be competitive because these rivalries run deep.
Neither will be winning this tournament since Chile will still be considered the official Copa America winner. If Argentina finally win something no one is going to credit them because this is nothing more than a commemorative tournament celebrating 100 years

Brazil has basically stated this tournament means nothing to them. Plenty of stars are missing the tournament most of which probably would be playing if it were the actual Copa America or the world cup.

Sure, there are rivalries, but rivalries don't make for good futbol when the teams that are playing aren't fielding the best pkayers.

The Guardian's Copa America preview

Pull quotes from their discussion of the USMNT
USA will get to …
… the quarter-finals. With home advantage they should be good enough to get out of a relatively straightforward group, but Brazil or Ecuador await in the last eight. Brazil are out of sorts and Ecuador, while in rich form, are beatable, so a semi-final isn’t impossible. JW

… the quarter finals. A semi-final place may be the target, but starting the tournament with a “final” against Colombia, as Jürgen Klinsmann has put it, may not give them the result to advance better than second out of the group – particularly with Klinsmann’s insistence on experimenting right up to the very last warm-up game. That will tee them up for a difficult quarter-final and probable heartache. GP

… watch as better teams compete for the trophy. Home field advantage wasn’t any use in last year’s Gold Cup and overall the squad’s generating less buzz than a beehive in a pesticide factory. The pressure on the coach may spur the team on, but it’s borderline whether they even get out of a hard group. TD

… the semi-finals. But it won’t be easy. Colombia, Paraguay and Costa Rica will all present difficult challenges, but with Keylor Navas in doubt for Costa Rica, the US’s chance for advancement only grows. Led by a crop of youngsters and buoyed by home field, the US will be poised to make an impression. DM

… the group stage – and that’s about it. I hope I’m wrong: I’d love to see the hosts make a good run, but my gut tells me they won’t get out of Group A. It’s a tough group for USA, and I’m not even talking about Colombia. On their day, both Costa Rica and Paraguay can be a handful. Jozy Altidore is hardly Robert Lewandowski but Jürgen will miss him more than he thinks. LME

Jurgen Klinsmann is …

… an average coach whose motivational abilities can’t disguise his tactical shortcomings. JW

… stretched too thin. The technical director of US soccer keeps interfering with the head coach in trying out new personnel to bring through, with a perpetual eye on a distant event horizon. The coach is unable to settle on a side with all this going on, and should maybe take that up with the technical director, but the technical director … etc etc. GP

… still unsure of his best team and tactics and surely ripe for replacement if the Copa is a catastrophe. TD

… relying on new blood. Pulisic, Brooks, Nagbe and Wood have excited in recent matches. Will they finally fulfill Klinsmann’s promise of proactive soccer? DM

… always a motivator, never a tactician. Klinsmann’s Achilles heel is that he doesn’t have a plan B. LME

v1lla21

I mean it's not like it matters if Brazil took their stars, they weren't going to win it anyways.

Gonna make my bracket when I get home.

Predictions for today's game?

I'm going with a tie
Colombia 2-2 USA

Really not feeling good about US chances. I think we're going to have a proper meltdown.

I see Group A ending like this:
USA 3pts
Colombia 7pts
Costa Rica 1pts
Paraguay 5pts

Here we go!

My extremely optomistic predictions for the tourney. Ignore the grey stuff on the left:

3EEtAvl.png

If you really think Jamaica will win Group C you have another thing coming. I'm not that sure Mexico will win the group but Im willing to bet you Jamaica won't be it.

Neither will be winning this tournament since Chile will still be considered the official Copa America winner. If Argentina finally win something no one is going to credit them because this is nothing more than a commemorative tournament celebrating 100 years

Brazil has basically stated this tournament means nothing to them. Plenty of stars are missing the tournament most of which probably would be playing if it were the actual Copa America or the world cup.

Sure, there are rivalries, but rivalries don't make for good futbol when the teams that are playing aren't fielding the best pkayers.

This is sad and true.

However, I think that after the runaway success financially this tournament is going to be that severe changes to future Copa America / Gold Cup may happen. After this one I see Conmebol and Concacaf joining their tournaments permanently and giving two tickets for the Confed Cups in the future (one for each top team of its confederation).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is sad and true.

However, I think that after the runaway success financially this tournament is going to be that severe changes to future Copa America / Gold Cup may happen. After this one I see Conmebol and Concacaf joining their tournaments permanently and giving two tickets for the Confed Cups in the future (one for each top team of its confederation).

I could see that and it would likely be better for everyone involved in the tournament.

ZZMitch

This is sad and true.

That would be sweet, kind of like another Euros!

Cappa

Banned
This is sad and true.

This would be amazing if it happens and would benefit all involved I think especially fans!

Dartastic

So, I'm trying to figure out the possibility of where teams may potentially play for the quarterfinals... I've got a ticket to the Seattle quarterfinal on the 17th. Is there anyway for people to determine that at all?

Also, I've got a ticket for the Haiti game in Seattle. Anyone interested in it? I'm just trying to get rid of it at this point. Sec 119, Row K.

GunBR

I don't know if Conmebol would want a unified tournament

They would gain "only" two big markets, USA and Mexico, and would have to divide everything with CONCACAF.

So, I'm trying to figure out the possibility of where teams may potentially play for the quarterfinals... I've got a ticket to the Seattle quarterfinal on the 17th. Is there anyway for people to determine that at all?

Also, I've got a ticket for the Haiti game in Seattle. Anyone interested in it? I'm just trying to get rid of it at this point. Sec 119, Row K.

It's probably gonna be Colombia x Equador or Brazil
But could be even USA x Brazil

It's impossible to determine

Kind of screws over Caribbean Football Union members.
And thanks to every nation getting one vote regardless of size or power they've been screwing all of CONCACAF for decades with them constantly voting for shitty leaders like Trinidad's Jack Warner. Majority of votes come from tiny islands that will never qualify to a World Cup so I say good riddance.

Unify the confederation's tournaments, give two Confederations Cup tickets, and make it so the Caribbean nations have to qualify to the Copa America. Some already have to qualify to go to our shitty Gold Cup as it is anyway!

If England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France have to qualify to the Eurocup I don't see why Guatemala, El Salvador, San Vicente, Guadalupe, Belize, Jamaica, Haiti, Antigua and Barbados couldn't for future Copa Americas. Put a rule that the CONCACAF countries that qualified to the previous World Cup have an automatic ticket to the tournament and thus sparing the likes of, say, the US, Mexico and Costa Rica going through a weak qualifying stage.

Mestizo

Great post!

This is sad and true.

I think that North America and Oceania needs to merge their confederation with South America and Asia in order to improve. And for the confederation cups I'd take the champion and runner up of every confederation.....

Great post!

I think that North America and Oceania needs to merge their confederation with South America and Asia in order to improve. And for the confederation cups I'd take the champion and runner up of every confederation.....
Asia, NA, SA and Oceania merging into one? Sorry dude, that's not going to happen. CONCACAF and Conmebol can't agree on shit as it is and you want 4 mergers?

NA and SA conferederations aren't unifying anytime soon but I'm convinced this tournament will bring in the only thing these guys understand to make them agree on a unified tournament (not the whole confederation): Green American Dollars.

Asia and Oceania should totally unify tho. Oceania's biggest country (Australia) left for the Asian confederation a decade ago precisely because they had no chance of improving being stuck to their little corner of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom