• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario | 3–26 June 2016 | We No Speak Americano / Summer of Soccer™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Lou

hvdrfIg.png

The Copa América Centenario is a sixteen nation international football/soccer scheduled to take place 3–26 June 2016.

All ten teams from South America (CONMEBOL) and six in total from North America, Central America and the Caribbean (CONCACAF) are to take part.

Officially, this tournament is to celebrate the centenary of CONMEBOL, FIFA allowed for it to be put on to the international match calendar which means that first choice players are in theory available. It's theoretically possible that the likes of Neymar, Luis Suarez, Lionel Messi, Javier Hernandez and Bryan Oviedo will feature in this tournament.

The tournament was nearly cancelled after several high profile sports and media executives were arrested and assets were frozen by the American authorities. The FBI allege that up to $20million worth of bribes were to be given to executives for this event from a media company. It wasn't until the tournament organisers changed media partners that they were confident in announcing it would go ahead.

Group stage draw

The draw will be held at 19:30 Eastern Time in New York City on 21 February 2016. Univision and Fox Sports 2 will be televising the draw in USA. Jorge Campos, Alexi Lalas, Mario Kempes, Carlos Valderrama will conduct the draw.

Four teams have been seeded and pre-drawn. Chile, the 2015 Copa America winners and Uruguay, the most team with the most Copa America titles were not seeded. The organisers have ensured that the seeded teams from the same Confederation can not meet until the semi-final stage.

• Group A: USA
  • Group B: Brazil
  • Group C: Mexico
  • Group D: Argentina
The remaining teams to be drawn are
  • Pot 2 (CONMEBOL - higher ranked)
    • Chile
    • Colombia
    • Uruguay
    • Ecuador
  • Pot 3 (CONCACAF)
    • Costa Rica
    • Jamaica
    • Panama
    • Haiti
  • Pot 4 (CONMEBOL - lower ranked)
    • Paraguay
    • Peru
    • Bolivia
    • Venezuela
Each group will have a team from Pot 2,3 and 4 drawn into it.

Venues

I5GQkAc.png

Schedule

Be sure to check the official website for details in case they change kick-off times.

I recommend Soccerway as it displays the the kick-off times in your local time zone.

Website links

http://www.ca2016.com - Official website
http://www.concacaf.com - CONCACAF
http://www.concacaf.com - CONMEBOL

http://www.facebook.com/2016CopaAmericaCentenario
http://www.twitter.com/ca2016
http://www.instagram.com/CopaAmericaCentenario

Thread looks good, Blue Lou. We can (and should) use this for the draw this weekend, but note that the thread is wayyyyy too early as an OT for something that starts in June.

Fingers crossed that the US don't get hosed on Sunday. :p

Blue Lou

The results are in:

Group A
1.USA
2.Colombia
3.Costa Rica
4.Paraguay

Group B
1. Brazil
2. Ecuador
3. Haiti
4. Peru

Group C
1. Mexico
2. Uruguay
3. Jamaica
4. Venzuela

Group D
1. Argentina,
2. Chile
3. Panama
4. Bolivia

Update: Corrected Groups C and D.

The results are in:

Group A
1.USA
2.Colombia
3.Costa Rica
4.Paraguay

Group B

1. Brazil
2. Ecuador
3. Haiti
4. Peru

Group C

1. Mexico
2. Chile
3. Jamaica
4. Venzuela

Group D
1. Argentina,
2. Uruguay
3.Panama
4. Bolivia

Chile got lucky, not that it matters, Conmebol teams are sending their B-C squads right? I even heard Argentina or Uruguay talk about sending a u-23 team.

The results are in:

Group A
1.USA
2.Colombia
3.Costa Rica
4.Paraguay

Group B

1. Brazil
2. Ecuador
3. Haiti
4. Peru

Group C

1. Mexico
2. Chile
3. Jamaica
4. Venzuela

Group D
1. Argentina,
2. Uruguay
3.Panama
4. Bolivia

This is partially wrong. Switch Chile and Uruguay for the correct groups.

v1lla21

Good group for Mexico. I don't see how the US is screwed. Colombia and Costa Rica haven't been playing as well. I'm not so sure about Paraguay but if I remember correctly, they had an okay copa America last year.

Pretty happy with my venue pass purchase for Levi's Stadium even more now after seeing the games that will be played there.

USA vs. Colombia
Argentina vs. Chile
Uruguay vs. Jamaica
Quarterfinals matchup

It should be how Klinnsman has screwed the US for the past 4-5yrs...

I don't have faith in Klinnsman picking a good team. :-/
Lol we can save that for the tourney OT. seems like we always are in the hardest group or one of the hardest groups in every major tourney.

donjezzy

got the venue passes to the rose bowl. gonna try to catch all three before heading to France for the Euro. Summer of Soccer indeed!

it looks like an urn

also my tickets came in the mail the other day. excite. Euro in the morning, copa in the evening
pizza at supper time

Prince

Will the games sell out or won't that happen because it is in the US?
I'm on vacation in California in June (from Amsterdam, The Netherlands) and was surprised that I could still buy tickets for the quarter final in the Levi's stadium.

Hoping for a Mexico/Uruguay vs Chile clash!

Will the games sell out or won't that happen because it is in the US?
I'm on vacation in California in June (from Amsterdam, The Netherlands) and was surprised that I could still buy tickets for the quarter final in the Levi's stadium.

Hoping for a Mexico/Uruguay vs Chile clash!
In Quarterfinals? Seeing how Mexico and Uruguay are in the same group that's impossible. The only other instance these two could see each other's faces after the group stage is in the final.

EDIT: nice stealth edit there! You corrected your post just in time, lol.

Prince

In Quarterfinals? Seeing how Mexico and Uruguay are in the same group that's impossible. The only other instance these two could see each other's faces after the group stage is in the final.

EDIT: nice stealth edit there! You corrected your post just in time, lol.

Haha I Just realized in time that I mixed up the possible matches.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Didn't know we had a thread already!

Subscribed for the salt and tears
my own included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom