• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2: Resurrected |OT| Angels and Demons? Sanctuary much.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
really hah, i will try it when i log back on, you sir/madam are a star.
Make shure that the cursor is inside the belt when you press R3, than it fills it up as long as you have enough potions in your inventory. Not perfect but faster than putting in each individually.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is anyone playing this one console? How does it play?
Series X.

- Playing on Performance Mode
- Plays smooth for the most part (just reached Act 2). In Act 1 outside running around, it can get a little choppy
- Inventory management is ok. Will never be as good as m/kb, since it's old school grid style inventory
- Hotkeying perks and items using d-Pad and various buttons is decent. Takes getting used to remembering which perk is which button (like D3) but I make my key skill perks RB and RT. The dpad is your belt slots (potions)
- In the beta there was a bad UI quirk where lining up items and inventory slots was misaligned by one square. It is fixed
- One part I thought I lost my character! But I didn't. I play on Offline Mode. When I rebooted the game up, the title screen showed no character so I thought I got burned with a character loss like some people said first few days. The title page screen is defaulted to Online Mode. So change it to Offline and there's my character. Whew!
- Much harder game than D3. Been killed a few times already. D3 I hardly got killed in the entire first playthrough

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Servers down? Just melted Mephisto and wandering round Hell. Hope it remembers where I was. Fuck that man, getting the error cant see the servers

MikeM

Is anyone playing this one console? How does it play?
Playing on Series X on performance mode. No issues. I haven't notice any stutters, screen tears or anything. I played this on PC 20 years ago, but I am really enjoying the controller over the mouse. I feel more directly connected to the character if that makes sense.

I am so slow at these type of games. I have this strong desire to explore every single inch of the map, sell every piece of loot, and kill every enemy. I need to change this or I will take me months to make it to Hell.
This is mostly how I play, uncover the entire map, constantly pick up and sell gear that's blue or higher (do you pick up EVERY piece of gear? Might want to stop that lol). I'm near the end of my Normal playthrough, it won't take that long 👍

ssringo

But exploring and killing should be good as it levels up your character. Skipping ahead fast should be bad.... unless the game has enemy scaling where if you're weak the game purposely makes you face weak enemies to go with your level? I dont know.
There isn't enemy scaling but there is XP scaling. Too high or low of level and your earn less xp than if you were appropriate level. You'll still find gear, gems and gold at the same rate.

You aren't doing yourself any favors clearing everything but you aren't hurting yourself either.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i respecced into a BARDBARIAN
I basically scream everything to shit.

kid-mad.gif

This is me

Last edited:

chixdiggit

This is mostly how I play, uncover the entire map, constantly pick up and sell gear that's blue or higher (do you pick up EVERY piece of gear? Might want to stop that lol). I'm near the end of my Normal playthrough, it won't take that long 👍
I started with picking up everything but now I just do blue and higher. Going much faster for sure.

PanzerAzel

Just got to Act II last night. Finally kitted my sorceress with Stealth and Leaf.

Christ, I’m enjoying the ever-loving shit out of this thing. Holy hell. I’ve forgotten how insanely addictive this game is, the central gameplay feedback loop is second to none, and it’s really a testament to its design that it has held up so well for all these years. As much as people complain about some of the more archaic elements and the generally slower, more methodical pacing here, I don’t find it detrimental but instead find this is the one of the main strengths. The controller implementation is very well done as well, and as much as I prefer the PC, honestly this old man’s weary bones just can’t tolerate being hunched over my desk for hours on end anymore.

I‘m absolutely loving the aesthetic and usage of lighting; this game really conveys atmosphere better than most I’ve played. Being in the depths of crypts with dynamic lighting, shadows being cast through bars are around pillars, unable to see very far and running into a high level mob never tires, made even better by exemplary sound design and score. I can’t over-emphasize how the art direction and music helps sell the world and overall experience, it’s brilliant. Thank you, Blizzard. I’m going to have to pick this up on Switch as well.

Great stuff.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just got to Diablo. Got a third of his health down and he fucked me over majorly haha. There just isn't anyone online or playing party finder for some reason. Gonna have to grind. Level 28 necro so far.

Con-Z-epT

Just got to Diablo. Got a third of his health down and he fucked me over majorly haha. There just isn't anyone online or playing party finder for some reason. Gonna have to grind. Level 28 necro so far.
How many HP does he have? I'm running around him in circles just to get a hit in here and there. Takes forever. Fire resistance is at 61%. The merc goes down in one or two hits.

ssringo

Toss on some fire resist gear. Don't stand in one place too long. I'm at work (and on PC too) or I'd assist directly.

Resists on gear in general are key to not getting your shit wrecked. And pumping vitality.

Oh, make Stealth runeword. So so good.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

The controller implementation is very well done as well, and as much as I prefer the PC,
I played this on PC 20 years ago, but I am really enjoying the controller over the mouse. I feel more directly connected to the character if that makes sense.
I am almost always a M/KB guy but I too prefer the controller in this game. Having direct control of the characters movement makes all the difference.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
His Hell Fire can be brutal. Do you have a lot of Rejuvenation potions available? I started to stash those as they fill your life faster than regular potions do.

killatopak

Gold Member
How many HP does he have? I'm running around him in circles just to get a hit in here and there. Takes forever. Fire resistance is at 61%. The merc goes down in one or two hits.
You can do the merc bug but I don’t know if it still works in D2R.

Makes the enemies not target the merc and just you.

Con-Z-epT

You can do the merc bug but I don’t know if it still works in D2R.

Makes the enemies not target the merc and just you.
Trying now for some hours and i can't make it. Does he heal when i die or exit the fight through a portal?

killatopak

Gold Member
You can still heal him and it works throughout the game even if you tp.

You just can't exit the game or you will have to do the bug again. Enemies not targetting him doesn't mean he doesn't get hit by AOE damage.

Con-Z-epT

You can still heal him and it works throughout the game even if you tp.

You just can't exit the game or you will have to do the bug again. Enemies not targetting him doesn't mean he doesn't get hit by AOE damage.
I meant Diablo, not the merc.

Haven't tried the bug since i still believe in myself. :messenger_grinning:

Lanrutcon

Hit him with Decrepify. Keep it applied. He'll mostly try and kill your Clay Golem, which you can just resummon. With a point in Summon Res your skeletons will be fine. He's the hardest of the big five, but that's not saying much.

Problem comes in if you try to portal and come back in. He'll Bone Prison your ass, kill your summons and then fuck you up.

Last edited:
Level 76, act 4 hell is a bit rough

think I’m just going to legit run ancient tunnels for the next 10 or so levels

will prob be like 1000 runs to get there but at least any item in the game can drop in AT (level 85 area) and no cold immunes

just wish I had higher mf

Lanrutcon

Level 76, act 4 hell is a bit rough

think I’m just going to legit run ancient tunnels for the next 10 or so levels

will prob be like 1000 runs to get there but at least any item in the game can drop in AT (level 85 area) and no cold immunes

just wish I had higher mf

Cold sorc, aye? Go run NM cows for socketed gear. Shove it all full of pTopaz, shove your merc's gear full of pTopaz.

Then go murder NM Meph 1000 times. Then with the MF gear from that go murder Hell Meph 1000 times.

You are playing the ideal class to murderhobo Meph, and Hell Meph has a shitton of absolutely top end gear.

Dabaus

Banned
Wanting to get into this. Can someone explain the difficulty progression for me please? I read about different acts and terms like hell and hades thrown around. Is hell and hades the name of the different acts or is that the difficulty setting?
Thanks!

Cold sorc, aye? Go run NM cows for socketed gear. Shove it all full of pTopaz, shove your merc's gear full of pTopaz.

Then go murder NM Meph 1000 times. Then with the MF gear from that go murder Hell Meph 1000 times.

You are playing the ideal class to murderhobo Meph, and Hell Meph has a shitton of absolutely top end gear.
Yeah I’m having trouble finding perfect topaz. Such a stupid problem to have.

hell mephisto can be a be a bit tricky. I only like doing it when I just leveled so I don’t lose xp if I die. He doesn’t touch me but I’ve been killed a few times teleporting to level 3. My resists are shit and I’m only at 63% fcr and 60% fhr breakpoint. If I teleport into a group of mobs I’m dead.

but yeah I’ve been trying to find perfect topaz and a 4 os gothic armor (for when I get the topaz).

I found a tarnhelm on nm meph but it’s only 25% mf

using a 3 socket helm right now with 2 p topaz cuz it’s all I have

maybe I’ll just do a shitload of nm meph runs until I get better gear. I can clear those super fast without issue

Lanrutcon

Wanting to get into this. Can someone explain the difficulty progression for me please? I read about different acts and terms like hell and hades thrown around. Is hell and hades the name of the different acts or is that the difficulty setting?
Thanks!

There are 5 acts. If you complete them on Normal, you unlock Nightmare versions you have to complete in order again. If you complete those you unlock Hell versions you have to complete in order.

Normal is for learning the game.
Nightmare gives you some resistance penalties and everything is harder, but the loot pool is dramatically expanded.
Hell gives you major resistance penalties and everything is brutal, but the loot pool is drastically expanded with God-tier loot...and some optional bosses to engage in.\\

You can freely play in any Act of any difficulty you've completed.

Yeah I’m having trouble finding perfect topaz. Such a stupid problem to have.

hell mephisto can be a be a bit tricky. I only like doing it when I just leveled so I don’t lose xp if I die. He doesn’t touch me but I’ve been killed a few times teleporting to level 3. My resists are shit and I’m only at 63% fcr and 60% fhr breakpoint. If I teleport into a group of mobs I’m dead.

but yeah I’ve been trying to find perfect topaz and a 4 os gothic armor (for when I get the topaz).

I found a tarnhelm on nm meph but it’s only 25% mf

using a 3 socket helm right now with 2 p topaz cuz it’s all I have

maybe I’ll just do a shitload of nm meph runs until I get better gear. I can clear those super fast without issue

Take your flawless topazes and teleport around the first act looking for gem shrines. Cow levels are great for general gem farming.

You can have a socketed shield on swap filled with pDiamonds to make your teleport safer.

But yeah: abuse nm Meph (or Baal, when you get bored) to get you the gear to make hell easier.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
There are 5 acts. If you complete them on Normal, you unlock Nightmare versions you have to complete in order again. If you complete those you unlock Hell versions you have to complete in order.

Nightmare gives you some resistance penalties and everything is harder, but the loot pool is dramatically expanded.
Hell gives you major resistance penalties and everything is brutal, but the loot pool is drastically expanded with God-tier loot...and some optional bosses to engage in.\\

Thank you. So instead of say beating the game and starting over in a new game plus mode, it lets you redo an act at a higher difficulty? Can you switch between difficulties as often as youd like?
And how soon can you start a higher difficulty after you finish an act? Can you immedialy start at the higher difficulty or do you have to reach a certain point in the game to switch?

sircaw

Banned
Take your flawless topazes and teleport around the first act looking for gem shrines. Cow levels are great for general gem farming.

very solid advice.

don't know if i was lucky or not as gem shrines are meant to be random i guess, but i found 4 of them in the stony fields, kitted my 4 socket plate with perfect topaz's, pretty awesome.

Lanrutcon

Thank you. So instead of say beating the game and starting over in a new game plus mode, it lets you redo an act at a higher difficulty? Can you switch between difficulties as often as youd like?
And how soon can you start a higher difficulty after you finish an act? Can you immedialy start at the higher difficulty or do you have to reach a certain point in the game to switch?
Yup. Yup.

Moment you complete a difficulty, the game shows you the end cutscene, awards you a title and kicks you to the main menu. From there on, you can now start games on the difficulty you completed or the next one. Once you complete the next one, you can now create games on all three difficulty levels. People routinely jump between them (to help friends or farm something specific).

Dabaus

Banned
Yup. Yup.

Moment you complete a difficulty, the game shows you the end cutscene, awards you a title and kicks you to the main menu. From there on, you can now start games on the difficulty you completed or the next one. Once you complete the next one, you can now create games on all three difficulty levels. People routinely jump between them (to help friends or farm something specific).
All with the same character youve chosen right?

cormack12

Gold Member
Damn, went up to level 34 today. Gpt two quests left in act v. How do i get this cow level - is it only available when i complete the game first?

Kacho

Damn, went up to level 34 today. Gpt two quests left in act v. How do i get this cow level - is it only available when i complete the game first?
Yeah. After you kill Baal you can open the portal by cubing a tome of town portal and Wirt’s leg. After you complete the level go back to the Stony Field and take the Tristram portal to grab another Wirt’s leg.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

All with the same character youve chosen right?

Only if they've completed the difficulty level. So once your (example) Barbarian has finished Normal, he gets the title of Slayer and can now move onto Nightmare. Your Necromancer, who's still in the middle of Normal, can't go to Nightmare yet.

because the game has multiplayer you can usually get someone to "boost" you through to a higher difficulty if you want to save some time.

Ah, common misconception. The cow level isn't real. It's just a really elaborate deepfake. Totally doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Only if they've completed the difficulty level. So once your (example) Barbarian has finished Normal, he gets the title of Slayer and can now move onto Nightmare. Your Necromancer, who's still in the middle of Normal, can't go to Nightmare yet.

because the game has multiplayer you can usually get someone to "boost" you through to a higher difficulty if you want to save some time.
I meant like if i have a druid and complete normal, if i start nightmare can i switch back to normal as the same druid?

You can have a socketed shield on swap filled with pDiamonds to make your teleport safer.

But yeah: abuse nm Meph (or Baal, when you get bored) to get you the gear to make hell easier.
Do you know if game difficulty mode effects gem shrine spawn rate?

Played 6 million hours of this back in the day, give or take, but never f'd with runewords or getting this 'Leaf' staff, or any of that shiz. In many ways it's like a completely new game. Such a blast.

Played 6 million hours of this back in the day, give or take, but never f'd with runewords or getting this 'Leaf' staff, or any of that shiz. In many ways it's like a completely new game. Such a blast.

I only played the original without the expansion more than 10 years ago.

Everything is basically completely new to me. Runes are addictive as Hell to farm, combine and create adequate runewords.

Doomtrain

Okay, so I was reading about the Stealth and Leaf runes for my Sorceress. I farmed the Countess a few times and I got the Tax and Eth runes that I need for Stealth. I don't have any armor with sockets in it, though. I just started Act 3, and I haven't found a whole lot of socketed gear lying around at all. What should I do next?

Top Bottom