• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2: Resurrected |OT| Angels and Demons? Sanctuary much.

Ulysses 31

To those (like me) coming to D2 for the first time, why are you compelled to look up optimal builds, rune words etc for your very first experience of this game? Wouldn't you want to experience it all organically and figure stuff out as you go along? Sure it's a 20 year old game but it's completely new to *us*. Also, for a game whose fans seem to tout "build diversity" as one of it's greatest strengths it seems like 90% of players go with a "hammerdin" or "cold sorc", not very diverse at all?
That's most likely gonna happen anyway since Hell is the difficulty to try and get the best gear and you'll need to complete the game twice before Hell is unlocked. It will be a while before you get the gear to start efficiently farming for gear.

Certain things like runewords aren't described well in the game.

Fools idol

Banned
wait what in the fuck - Ultrawide is not supported?

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

20 if I remember correctly.

Made a new Russian account and bought the game for 23,xx€
CDKeys was out of stock and i really did not want to risk not being able to play on launch, the second servers are up.

Nearly 50% below the EU price is to good to pass. 25€ is fine. For 40€ I would've probably regretted getting this.
Was super easy.
Now how can I have 2 Ballte.net Launcher accounts at the same time on the same PC?

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I’m fine with that.

the res stretch to 16:9 aspect ratio already buffed teleport so much. Ultrawide will make it broken.

Can you imagine the PVP in that state?
Who gives a shit, its a 20 year old game. Whoever wanted to play it competitively has had a lot of time for it. If the game has some inconsistencies , again, who really cares? This release should have been a fun, hip and modernized version of the old game imo.

killatopak

Who gives a shit, its a 20 year old game. Whoever wanted to play it competitively has had a lot of time for it. If the game has some inconsistencies , again, who really cares? This release should have been a fun, hip and modernized version of the old game imo.
Thank god, Blizzard didn’t listen to selfish people like you. Obviously a lot of people care, me included.

This entry aims to still be faithful to the original game with a few qol changes and bug fixes. It does not aim to introduce more broken stuff like this. You want something different? Go play D4.

sankt-Antonio

Thank god, Blizzard didn’t listen to selfish people like you. Obviously a lot of people care, me included.

This entry aims to still be faithful to the original game with a few qol changes and bug fixes. It does not aim to introduce more broken stuff like this. You want something different? Go play D4.
If you want DII its still there, perfectly fine and playable now. Why limit its appeal for new audiences because people like you can't let go is baffling to me. You would not loose anything, but gain a fresher take on a 20year old game.

killatopak

If you want DII its still there, perfectly fine and playable now. Why limit its appeal for new audiences because people like you can't let go is baffling to me. You would not loose anything, but gain a fresher take on a 20year old game.
You know what people did for a fresher take of D2? Make custom mods of the game like Median XL, and Project Diablo 2. They left the people who wanted to original experience alone. If people want to, they can do so as well for resurrected.

Besides even if you were to strictly use widescreen on your own and not abuse it, that doesn’t mean others won’t. It’s an unfair advantage for those who don‘t have ultra wide screens.

I won’t ever criticize anyone doing something on their own in singleplayer but once it crosses over to multiplayer, the lines gets blurred and it is simply unacceptable to me.

sankt-Antonio

You know what people did for a fresher take of D2? Make custom mods of the game like Median XL, and Project Diablo 2. They left the people who wanted to original experience alone. If people want to, they can do so as well for resurrected.

Besides even if you were to strictly use widescreen on your own and not abuse it, that doesn’t mean others won’t. It’s an unfair advantage for those who don‘t have ultra wide screens.

I won’t ever criticize anyone doing something on their own in singleplayer but once it crosses over to multiplayer, the lines gets blurred and it is simply unacceptable to me.
Dude, people with money and 3090TI Gfx cards and 120Hz monitors being able to play in 4k ...also have an advantage in every multiplayer game compared to people who don't have that kind of money. No one seems to care. No one would care if D2II had some more modern features.

BlackM1st

Banned

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

Bruh. 20 years old game. Min maxing isometric rpg. Who gives a fuck about competitive mp? Seriously, get a grip.

killatopak

Dude, people with money and 3090TI Gfx cards and 120Hz monitors being able to play in 4k ...also have an advantage in every multiplayer game compared to people who don't have that kind of money. No one seems to care. No one would care if D2II had some more modern features.
I never play an MP game on PC for that reason. It may look like a turd on consoles but at least everyone is equally a turd. I’m gonna play this one on PC because the game logic is still tied to the old engine running at the background which makes everyone equal.

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

Bruh. 20 years old game. Min maxing isometric rpg. Who gives a fuck about competitive mp? Seriously, get a grip.
WoW is nearly 20 years old as well. Who gives a fuck about that eh? I still watch competitive SC2 and AoE2 in 2021 and it’s thriving well. A great game is a great game, no matter how old.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Made a new Russian account and bought the game for 23,xx€
CDKeys was out of stock and i really did not want to risk not being able to play on launch, the second servers are up.

Nearly 50% below the EU price is to good to pass. 25€ is fine. For 40€ I would've probably regretted getting this.
Was super easy.
Now how can I have 2 Ballte.net Launcher accounts at the same time on the same PC?
How did you do the payment ? On the russian acc?

if its only 23 i won’t mind double dipping on pc

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Lol, are people really gonna let them pass with 'ultrawide support created bugs' ?

Really really? It's 2021. Ultrawide monitor support is basic shit, if they have to code better to make it work, that is what they have to do.

bigedole

Has anyone heard anything more recent regarding whether or not cold mastery can allow cold damage to hurt cold immunes for sorcs or not? All I found was a couple week old discussion based on a clip from a hacked version of the D2R alpha, so it did not seem conclusive. If it's true, feels like cold sorc is objectively the best way to go for MF period.

McCheese

So what's going on with the Switch version? There is no way it can pull off the new high fidelity 3D models - I wonder if they bake them into higher resolution 2D sprites or something, seems weird we are two days from launch and really know very little about how it stacks up.

Ulysses 31

So what's going on with the Switch version? There is no way it can pull off the new high fidelity 3D models - I wonder if they bake them into higher resolution 2D sprites or something, seems weird we are two days from launch and really know very little about how it stacks up.
Maybe it can a little at 720p(dynamic) 30 fps... 👀

cormack12

Gold Member

I think some footage was leaked on 4ch a while back

maze-game.gif

You could make the same exact argument about framerate, doesn't make it any less dumber. Ultrawide is a pretty accepted standard at this point.

Last edited:

killatopak

You could make the same exact argument about framerate, doesn't make it any less dumber. Ultrawide is a pretty accepted standard at this point.
Framerate doesn’t mean anything in D2R.

It still strictly runs at 24fps mechanics behind the scenes. It’s still using the old engine which is why the faster cast rate/faster hit recovery and block rate still functions with breakpoints.

Framerate doesn’t mean anything in D2R.

It still strictly runs at 24fps mechanics behind the scenes. It’s still using the old engine which is why the faster cast rate/faster hit recovery and block rate still functions with breakpoints.
You are being disingenuous as shit if you think that even if behind the scenes with 24fps mechanics, that the player playing at 60fps won't have an advantage over the one playing at 30fps. It's no different than tick rates on servers in regards to framerate. Fuck outta' here.

Last edited:

killatopak

You are being disingenuous as shit if you think that even if behind the scenes with 24fps mechanics, that the player playing at 60fps won't have an advantage over the one playing at 30fps. It's no different than tick rates on servers in regards to framerate. Fuck outta' here.

The whole game logic runs on that 24fps engine including those tick rates on server. It’s not me saying it. It’s the head developer.

Last edited:

McCheese

That's like saying folks who have frame-interpolation on their TVs have an advantage, unless the higher frame-rate animations give more of a visual cue I can't see it making any competitive difference.

Has anyone heard anything more recent regarding whether or not cold mastery can allow cold damage to hurt cold immunes for sorcs or not? All I found was a couple week old discussion based on a clip from a hacked version of the D2R alpha, so it did not seem conclusive. If it's true, feels like cold sorc is objectively the best way to go for MF period.
Cold mastery doesn’t effect cold immunes. This is why a lot of people are going meteorb or hammerdin. There’s a trade off for each of them.

bigedole

Cold mastery doesn’t effect cold immunes. This is why a lot of people are going meteorb or hammerdin. There’s a trade off for each of them.
Yes, I understand that's how it was in D2 originally. I saw a discussion with video showing that in D2 resurrected cold master can allow cold immunes to be hurt by blizzard. Trying to figure out if that's actually true or not as it would change my plans of starting with a hammerdin :p

Yes, I understand that's how it was in D2 originally. I saw a discussion with video showing that in D2 resurrected cold master can allow cold immunes to be hurt by blizzard. Trying to figure out if that's actually true or not as it would change my plans of starting with a hammerdin :p
If this is true then people like MrLlamaSC don’t know about it based on their most recent videos. And I would be shocked if that’s the case. Guy basically eat, sleeps and breathes d2

I don’t know why they would have changed it and not said anything. It would be a huge change. Also an unnecessary as it would make cold sorc incredibly OP

Lanrutcon

Yeah, if sorcs can now fuck cold immunes then boys: game fucking on. Single element sorcs, totally Hell viable.

Oh, and I know why there's no widescreen. Grab a copy of the original, install the mods that allow you to stretch the resolution (and your viewport accordingly). See what happens when you fire long range magic at enemies. Their AI isn't coded for you to target them that far away. You can pretty much kill everything without worry.

Edit: Reddit has the cold mastery change down as rumor. No proof anywhere.

Last edited:
Yeah, if sorcs can now fuck cold immunes then boys: game fucking on. Single element sorcs, totally Hell viable.

Oh, and I know why there's no widescreen. Grab a copy of the original, install the mods that allow you to stretch the resolution (and your viewport accordingly). See what happens when you fire long range magic at enemies. Their AI isn't coded for you to target them that far away. You can pretty much kill everything without worry.
Even if they changed the AI, you would be able to kill them before non ranged ones could reach you.

widescreen is by far one of the stupidest requests I’ve seen so far

it would mess up the game in many ways, not just PvP but even with PvP, that’s a huge part of endgame. Saying you don’t like PvP therefore it doesn’t matter is retarded.

Warablo

Even when Cold Mastery didn't break cold immunes, it was one of the best passives in the game. Can't imagine if it did. If it did in the beta, I expect it to be fixed in release.

On the topic of builds, I played in the age of no respecs so you had to get it right the first time. So I always feel it's wise to have a gameplan all the way through. I guess I'd play normally as a newcomer and try and save my one respec in case I hit a hard wall in normal/plan out my Nightmare build.

Last edited:
Even when Cold Mastery didn't break cold immunes, it was one of the best passives in the game. Can't imagine if it did. If it did in the beta, I expect it to be fixed in release.

On the topic of builds, I played in the age of no respecs so you had to get it right the first time. So I always feel it's wise to have a gameplan all the way through. I guess I'd play normally as a newcomer and try and save my one respec in case I hit a hard wall in normal/plan out my Nightmare build.
I also played before respecs. It’s sorta shaped the way I play the game even today.

I literally have a notebook that has my first early game build and respec planned out for my sorc.

DeaDPo0L84

Me and my wife pre-ordered last night, both have ultrawide monitors, canceled this morning due to learning it doesn't support them, should've done my research beforehand.

Even if they changed the AI, you would be able to kill them before non ranged ones could reach you.

widescreen is by far one of the stupidest requests I’ve seen so far

it would mess up the game in many ways, not just PvP but even with PvP, that’s a huge part of endgame. Saying you don’t like PvP therefore it doesn’t matter is retarded.
Pot calling the kettle I see.

Vagswarm

Only a couple days away. Coming up real fast. Still haven't broken my no pre-ordering rule (it is tempting...)

Think I'm going to start with a melee class, maybe a Paladin. Have gotten incredibly lazy with all that moving and aiming and constant ability changing required from ranged classes. lol

Last edited:

killatopak

Paladin is an excellent class. Probably the safest of all no matter what build you use as long as you have holy shield. Easy max block rate.

Nozz-A-La

I only ever played a barb originally, for a terrifying amount of hours, so this time I’m determined to go for something different. I’m thinking either a wind Druid or a fishymancer.

Top Bottom