• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

Codeblew

Ridibg the horse feels different now, with a controller.

And the UI scale seems to have changed, with bigger windows and text on items. On console at least. Looks better on a 55 inch TV from the couch, and easier to read.
Damn I hope so. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and the text is already hard enough to read with the large font. I have been thinking about upgrading my 55" to 65" for that reason alone.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
No I'm not saying they are going to lose players over time because people will gradually complete the season. I'm saying that there will be a cliff drop off once people realize just how hard the XP nerfs are going to hit and just how much worse the game feels. Because the seasonal activity was already pretty lukewarm in terms of engagement, but a lot of players (including myself) were just looking forward to the new season so they could try new classes and get a feel for what people were expecting to be the new meta. Instead it was nerfs across the board and the meta has not really changed that much at all except for a handful of builds, absolutely plummeting down the tier lists. So unless people come up with a lot of new crazy builds because of the malignant hearts (I have my doubts on that one), it's going to be the same meta for the next 3 months that we have been experiencing for the last 7 weeks. That's not exactly exciting and that's not going to keep people hooked. No amount of shiny things on a battle pass is going to compensate for that.

And to be clear I am not hater of this game. Not by a longshot. You can go back to my posts about the game whenever it was leading up to launch and in the beta. I have loved this game for the most part. I have dumped nearly 300 hours into it since launch and gotten two characters to level 70 plus. I have put time and energy into an enjoying this game. And even I am already looking towards Baldur's Gate 3 in a few weeks if they don't step up and do something to correct this very soon.

And I'm someone who has over 500 hours in Diablo 2 and over a thousand hours in Diablo 3. I am a hardcore Diablo fan. So if they are losing me this quickly over this patch they are going to be bleeding the casual players that make up the majority of the player base.

There's definitely a strong negative reaction, so I hear you, and sounds all like valid complaints. I'm still super excited though, despite it all, though who knows it all may change. I am planning on running Druid for S1 myself, and and reading today about Druids 1-shotting the Lilith boss, so maybe there's a little hope haha.

Still, if you're correct and it causes as much damage as you say to the game/playerbase, perhaps it even will be for the best, as it'll be the fastest way to get them to change course and hopefully promise to never pull something like that again if they want people to keep coming back.

Zheph

There's definitely a strong negative reaction, so I hear you, and sounds all like valid complaints. I'm still super excited though, despite it all, though who knows it all may change. I am planning on running Druid for S1 myself, and and reading today about Druids 1-shotting the Lilith boss, so maybe there's a little hope haha.

Still, if you're correct and it causes as much damage as you say to the game/playerbase, perhaps it even will be for the best, as it'll be the fastest way to get them to change course and hopefully promise to never pull something like that again if they want people to keep coming back.
I haven't lost too much damage with Druid but they took a big hit in survivability (only unstoppable for 6s is quite the difference), I still expect them to be the top performer in S1 so you should be alright. The leveling phase will be the biggest issue.

Orbital2060

Damn I hope so. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and the text is already hard enough to read with the large font. I have been thinking about upgrading my 55" to 65" for that reason alone.
I havent played in a few days so might remember wrong. The font just seems easier to read but maybe its just me

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
I played a bit with my level 100 barbarian and level 60 druid last night. They definitely lost power but they still felt okay to play because I don't really press too hard content-wise on higher level nightmare dungeons. Now I usually do Hell Tides too but avoided them since I heard the cinder rate is bugged out. The real test for me is going to be the Season 1 experience of leveling all the way up again in the face of these changes. Less power, slower leveling, harder to roll the right gear...those things are on my mind at the moment but I tomorrow I am going to try and clear my mind and just see how it all feels.

Orbital2060

Definately feel the damage reduction nerf. Didnt have too much trouble with tier 21-22 nightmare dungeon before patch. Both damage output and damage reduction are much worse, barely managed to clear a tier 21 NM dungeon.

cormack12

Gold Member
My rogue is fucked. I can't find anything regarding evade or dodge in those patch notes, but when I press 'B' to reposition using TB there is a 15 second cooldown now. 15 seconds!!! Which means I'm now getting CCed to death and even worse if you have those little spider webs that also trap you you're fucked.

I don't mind having to run nm dungeons a couple of levels lower if I need to. I tried a level 90 before and I'm 87. I died once to the butcher but it was a struggle. And then I looked at the XP bar and was like wtf. Given the xp change it really isn't worth the 1-3% gain.

I'm taking longer to clear dungeons for less xp while being easier to kill and my build has had the synergy fucked over. I'm not gonna be raging or anything but I thought max level was within reach, but it seems miles away now and something not worth pursuing

Zheph

My rogue is fucked. I can't find anything regarding evade or dodge in those patch notes, but when I press 'B' to reposition using TB there is a 15 second cooldown now. 15 seconds!!! Which means I'm now getting CCed to death and even worse if you have those little spider webs that also trap you you're fucked.

I don't mind having to run nm dungeons a couple of levels lower if I need to. I tried a level 90 before and I'm 87. I died once to the butcher but it was a struggle. And then I looked at the XP bar and was like wtf. Given the xp change it really isn't worth the 1-3% gain.

I'm taking longer to clear dungeons for less xp while being easier to kill and my build has had the synergy fucked over. I'm not gonna be raging or anything but I thought max level was within reach, but it seems miles away now and something not worth pursuing
Wasn't it just the dodge breaker affix for your dodge?

Zheph

What's that? Can I get it back?
Well as you know there are few affixes within each NM dungeons and there is one that break your dodge so I believe thats what happened to you because they didn't nerf anything in that regard

And yes it was just for the NM dungeon, I'm sure it's fine if you log now

Last edited:
To the kings and queens playing this on console:

I remember playing D3 and D2:R and the cinematics, while gorgeous, often had lots of stuttering and certain cinematics were super compressed with distracting artifacting. I know D4 only has 2 (for now), but is it the same case here?

I mean, I don’t mind if the cinematics aren’t 4K but if they’re like 360p with stuttering that’ll annoy me

Last edited:
Played 3 hours with my level 62 custom lightning Sorc last night. Exp gain nerfed, overall I'm doing more damage though. Seems most people got fucked over by the patch, hopefully Blizz balances stuff out and gets the game where it needs to be, lots of room for improvement.

Antwix

To the kings and queens playing this on console:

I remember playing D3 and D2:R and the cinematics, while gorgeous, often had lots of stuttering and certain cinematics were super compressed with distracting artifacting. I know D4 only has 2 (for now), but is it the same case here?

I mean, I don’t mind if the cinematics aren’t 4K but if they’re like 360p with stuttering that’ll annoy me
not sure if there's an option on console, but on PC there is a setting in the options menu to make the cutscenes run at a higher framerate. but regardless, they played good. i think in the betas they were rough but i believe this was fixed early on.

Last edited:

Codeblew

I got this as part of my 4090. I take it that after the nerfs that it's not worth playing at the moment?

Yay or Nay?
It is definitely worth playing at least the story. Whether you like the game after that, only you will know. I still like the game and I am excited to start Season 1 in 13 hours.

cormack12

Gold Member
Still thinking barb, but also having head turned by druid. Eternal is rogue so I don't wanna replay that and necro is also maybe making me think.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I got this as part of my 4090. I take it that after the nerfs that it's not worth playing at the moment?

Yay or Nay?
I think ARPG fans are used to the ebb and flow of game updates (nerfs buffs seasons etc). If you like ARPG's D4 is a good one and you will enjoy it and will play it for several years.

If the player (they) play ARPG's for story/lore stuff, they are going to bounce off hard after finishing the "story".

TheMan

Yay or Nay?
Definitely worth playing, especially if you already own it! Game is a lot of fun. Keep in mind most of the complaints are coming from very vocals and hardcore players. I don’t know if you’re that hardcore but myself being casual, I barely noticed any changes last time I played

gatti-man

So it’s either Druid or necro as best build for season 1? I already have a barb in eternal level 70 so definitely not doing a barb.

Minsc

Gold Member
I thought everyone was going to quit the game after the last patch announcement, so much for that. Hopefully there's no one left trying to log in when I get back home later.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A lot of people are not happy to say the least. However, I am still excited to come back for Season 1 tomorrow. I am going to go Necro instead of Sorc this time.
Oh man I just watched a Mr.Llama video about he's skipping season 1 :messenger_grimmacing_

shocked donald glover GIF

Antwix

actually i'm probably gonna try rogue. i've played so much sorc and since they're abysmal at the moment, i guess i'll try something different

TheMan

Going for rogue this season since I’ve barely touched that class and I need some variety. Hopefully I’ll be able to log in by the time I get home from work

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
actually i'm probably gonna try rogue. i've played so much sorc and since they're abysmal at the moment, i guess i'll try something different
HA! Ditto. I just rolled a rogue. Based off the patch notes and looking at the available MHeart skills I will be able to climb to 100 without too much trouble.

Hmmm looks like I will playing a Bow rogue, twisting blades isn't as awesome as I remember it ;)

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Man, I extra waited a bit after the release and played FF16 first until this game is running better but ever since I booted it, it has been a clusterfuck. How does Blizzard screw up so bad ?

Minsc

Gold Member
Man, I extra waited a bit after the release and played FF16 first until this game is running better but ever since I booted it, it has been a clusterfuck. How does Blizzard screw up so bad ?

So you're saying you randomly choose the exact hour of season 1 starting to boot it up and decide it's a clusterfuck? Time to go buy a lottery ticket.

For all the hardcore, the start of a season is a much bigger deal than the launch of the game I'm sure. Seasons are the bread and butter of the game itself.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So you're saying you randomly choose the exact hour of season 1 starting to boot it up and decide it's a clusterfuck? Time to go buy a lottery ticket.

For all the hardcore, the start of a season is a much bigger deal than the launch of the game I'm sure. Seasons are the bread and butter of the game itself.
Not leader boards tho. Not a lot of incentive there.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Say what you want, it’s bloody joke that, one month after release, I had more issues logging in than I didn’t. What a clown show.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
So I have to create a new character for the seasonal stuff? I’m not sure if I read that right when selecting my character.

Minsc

Gold Member
So I have to create a new character for the seasonal stuff? I’m not sure if I read that right when selecting my character.

Yes, seasons are supposed to have very unique rules and give you a new-ish experience of leveling / gameplay / challenges. Think very much like new card sets coming out for Hearthstone where they limit the older sets you can play with each season etc.

New season comes out - decide if the changes sound interesting to you - put in / play the 50 hours to build up your character and overcome the challenges, then repeat in 3 months.

Top Bottom