• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
… and now I”m stuck in a loading screen to enter a dungeon. My god…
OH...the new loading screens that pull in your character model for no reason?

Sweet, spending more time render your character and their gear again for the loading screens...instead of just having a fucking static image that will load in a fraction of the time.

DanEON

Sweet, spending more time render your character and their gear again for the loading screens...instead of just having a fucking static image that will load in a fraction of the time.
the reason is to sell more cosmetics!!!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yes, seasons are supposed to have very unique rules and give you a new-ish experience of leveling / gameplay / challenges. Think very much like new card sets coming out for Hearthstone where they limit the older sets you can play with each season etc.

New season comes out - decide if the changes sound interesting to you - put in / play the 50 hours to build up your character and overcome the challenges, then repeat in 3 months.
Yeah, I’m not doing that. I have two level 55+ characters. I’m done with that warily game shit.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, I’m not doing that. I have two level 55+ characters. I’m done with that warily game shit.

I dunno, it's a way to have fun with the game beyond running through it once or twice. There's generally only so much fun you can have with an eternal character. I mean you hit level 100 (if even that) then what? Just do the same thing over and over for 1000 hours, or 10,000 hours for a few percentage points of damage?

Seasons give you a way to play almost entirely new experiences, they will eventually change up the way characters grow and work so much it may as well be a different game, at least most people (even those who say they don't like them) end up going all in with them once they try them.

Then again, maybe you don't want to be playing D4 for the next 5-10 years. So yeah, finish your run on eternal and move on. But seasons are a way to get fresh gameplay for the next decade.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I dunno, it's a way to have fun with the game. There's generally only so much fun you can have with an eternal character. I mean you hit level 100 then what? Just do the same thing over and over for 1000 hours, or 10,000 hours?

Seasons give you a way to play new experiences, they will eventually change up the way characters grow and work so much it may as well be a different game.
Maybe that’s why I never stick with GaaS. I’m about to enter world tier 4. Once I’m done with that, I’ll probably be done with the game forever.

Laieon

Maybe that’s why I never stick with GaaS. I’m about to enter world tier 4. Once I’m done with that, I’ll probably be done with the game forever.

And there's nothing wrong with that. It's more than okay to say "Hey, I've had my fun, now it's time to move onto something else".

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
And there's nothing wrong with that.
Yup. GaaS are great for some. Sometimes they grab their hooks in me too, but I think I’m looking at what’s coming up, and what I want to play before Starfield. I’m probably just trying to justify myself not continuing, lol.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yup. GaaS are great for some. Sometimes they grab their hooks in me too, but I think I’m looking at what’s coming up, and what I want to play before Starfield. I’m probably just trying to justify myself not continuing, lol.

Yeah, and the draw with 3 month seasons too is in 2 years if you find a big lul in your plate and are curious to jump back in for a season, you can do so without really missing anything, since seasons are fresh starts for everyone, newcomers and experienced accounts a like.

Tried playing. Couldn't enter any dunegons. Couldn't enter any strongholds. Teleport stopped working. Couldn't even walk forward at one point.

Wasn't worth playing with that level of lag. How can the game be worse than launch ?

Minsc

Gold Member
And? The game isn't playable. And it's not launch. The game came out a month ago.

Right, it's not the launch of Diablo 4 release, but it is the launch of Season play, with Season 1. Which by all accounts of the troubles present now and not at release, would indicate the launch of Season 1 is a bigger launch than that of release.

So you can be upset all you want, but to pretend it's not the biggest day since the game was released is silly. This day, today, is the LAUNCH of Season 1. The first day of seasonal gameplay. And like anyone could have predicted TONS and TONS of people all want in. So there's server troubles.

It sucks, but it is hardly surprising, given it is the launch of Season 1.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Apart from some hitches, I got to play for a bit. Rolled a sorceress. Activated the premium pass. 90 tiers, thats about one tier a day for the season.

Having fun so far. Inadvertently activated my available battle pass. Well, maybe not inadvertently, but i thought pressing it would elicit at least a confirmation click and give more info maybe, but nope... I know, i know. But the items etc seem fun enough to warrant the journey. Messed around with seasons a bit much later in Diablo 3 but this will be first time going all in from the get go and to at least try out the first season.

G-Bus

Banned
Rolled a barbarian and really enjoying it. WW ftw? Really enjoying the class. Lots of fun. Way better than the sorcerer.

Played for a couple hours. No issues. New content aside just playing a new class has renewed my interest in the game.

EruditeHobo

Having fun so far. Inadvertently activated my available battle pass. Well, maybe not inadvertently, but i thought pressing it would elicit at least a confirmation click and give more info maybe, but nope... I know, i know. But the items etc seem fun enough to warrant the journey. Messed around with seasons a bit much later in Diablo 3 but this will be first time going all in from the get go and to at least try out the first season.

How can they do this without actually prompting/confirming to you that you're being charged? Seems weird.

Anyway. Got my Barb going, did the same class for the beta so looking forward to getting back into it. Forgot the survivability difference... makes things a lil more exciting though.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
DAMN, that sucks!

I didn't click it for that exact reason, thank you for letting us know.

Is there an option to gift the battle pass? Call of Duty has that, the account I bought the game on isn't the one I play with, would be cool if I could transfer it to that account.

Edit: you can't 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Gotta love seeing yet another Reddit boycott fail

Last edited:

Codeblew

There is no noticeable difference with loading time on the PS5. Still a 2-4 second load (never really counted).

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
There is no noticeable difference with loading time on the PS5. Still a 2-4 second load (never really counted).
No increase on any platform for me either....just look janky when your characters move from Tpose to their neutral stance and any dangly bits you have on your equipped gear jiggle around.

The book loading screen was great imo.

Laieon

Having fun so far. Inadvertently activated my available battle pass. Well, maybe not inadvertently, but i thought pressing it would elicit at least a confirmation click and give more info maybe, but nope... I know, i know.

I completely forgot that one came with the ultimate edition and was really confused why I wasn't being charged for it, lol.

DavidGzz

Just got booted and there is an update(100MB). Season stuff is pretty cool so far. I'm surprised with how they added a story line and voiced lines. Already much more involved than any D3 season.

Codeblew

No increase on any platform for me either....just look janky when your characters move from Tpose to their neutral stance and any dangly bits you have on your equipped gear jiggle around.

The book loading screen was great imo.
Hmm. I don't notice anything awkward. I will look closer tomorrow.

DavidGzz

Shred is fun on the Druid! I didn't know the season chapter rewards were going to give new aspects, that's pretty cool. The hearts have some neat skills and the fact that they also provide armor now is really nice.

Zheph

Shred is fun on the Druid! I didn't know the season chapter rewards were going to give new aspects, that's pretty cool. The hearts have some neat skills and the fact that they also provide armor now is really nice.
It has too due to not being able to slot skulls anymore (especially after nerfing all defenses)

Minsc

Gold Member
Early levels of Barb from the beta sucked compared to pulverize Druid. The damage that puts out every 12 seconds is so so nice! Clears almost all mobs on the screen in one hit, really nice for early on.

DryvBy

So the end game and post game was already horrible for Diablo 4 and now the new season is more of this kind of content with the worst patch in this series I've ever seen. What were they thinking making more dungeons with the den of evil experience of collect the keys?

Wake me up when we get this game to D3's end game, which should have been the starting point for this game.

After 100+ hours with my Sorc the raw savagery of a Barb is refreshing. Don't quite get how story progress works for the malignant questline, did the first couple and the next one - Holding Back The Flood - says "complete ch. 1 of season journey. Complete ch. 2 of season journey", wonderful, I'd love to, how motherfucker lol. No marker appears on the map, skipped campaign so I'm just doing side missions etc, guess it will automatically progress at some point.

Last edited:

TheMan

So I rolled rogue (as did a lot of people) and played an hour or so of the new content. What can I say, I’m having fun. Kind of refreshing to play a class I’ve barely touched.

After 100+ hours with my Sorc the raw savagery of a Barb is refreshing. Don't quite get how story progress works for the malignant questline, did the first couple and the next one - Holding Back The Flood - says "complete ch. 1 of season journey. Complete ch. 2 of season journey", wonderful, I'd love to, how motherfucker lol. No marker appears on the map, slipped campaign so I'm just doing side missions etc, guess it will automatically progress at some point.
You need to go into the season tab, in there it lists all of the tasks for each level of the season stuff.

Minsc

Gold Member
It depends how long they take to finish for me. Will it be less time to hit 100 in a season than eternal?

Better way to think of it - they only gave us one month to get to 100 and clear out every lilith statue and dungeon in the entire game. Now you have 3 months to do just a fraction of that, you don't even really need to get to level 100 from what I understand.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Better way to think of it - they only gave us one month to get to 100 and clear out every lilith statue and dungeon in the entire game. Now you have 3 months to do just a fraction of that, you don't even really need to get to level 100 from what I understand.
I think level 90 is the last free season journey/battle pass thing. Level 100 would be for pushing the hardest nightmare dungeons but I didn't see anything in the season journey that mentioned that.

Mossybrew

SO what's that green icon with a number at the bottom of the screen now?

Rolled my long-awaited Necro, was going to say I encountered no issues last night but I went to claim the first item in the battle pass and was greeted with ERROR. Hah.

SO what's that green icon with a number at the bottom of the screen now?

Rolled my long-awaited Necro, was going to say I encountered no issues last night but I went to claim the first item in the battle pass and was greeted with ERROR. Hah.
If they are the green icons I am thinking of, it is the number of minions that you have summoned. I just started necro and it confused me too, but it is actually super helpful because when things get chaotic its hard to figure out how many are still alive just by looking.

Top Bottom