• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

are seasons different from III?

I remember in III someone would level me up and i would do dungeons and shit and get that seasons new gear/set

in IV since i skipped the campaign do i just try get through all the season objectives and battle pass by doing quests? what's the end goal in seasons? i feel like i'm playing it wrong.

Last edited:

Salz01

The multiple times I get stun locked on my Barb is rage inducing. I haven’t seen yet if there is gear or points to dump into to combat it. If there isn’t I might dump the class….

gatti-man

The multiple times I get stun locked on my Barb is rage inducing. I haven’t seen yet if there is gear or points to dump into to combat it. If there isn’t I might dump the class….
Unless they changed something Barb is one of the hardest classes to play in the game.

cormack12

Gold Member
are seasons different from III?

I remember in III someone would level me up and i would do dungeons and shit and get that seasons new gear/set

in IV since i skipped the campaign do i just try get through all the season objectives and battle pass by doing quests? what's the end goal in seasons? i feel like i'm playing it wrong.
Have you actually completed the campaign in your eternal realm?

they mentioned changing stuns in nightmare dungeons on the apology roundtable recently.

gatti-man

It’s absolutely sick how much easier necro is to play than barb especially in pvp. Got the blood horse before I even hit lvl 40 with necro. Couldn’t do Jack shit with my barb.

The game just punishes melee. I really enjoy my barb because of the physics in some of his attacks like upheaval. But it’s clear to me it’s an inferior class. Also gear wise necro skins are insanely better.

It’s absolutely sick how much easier necro is to play than barb especially in pvp. Got the blood horse before I even hit lvl 40 with necro. Couldn’t do Jack shit with my barb.

The game just punishes melee. I really enjoy my barb because of the physics in some of his attacks like upheaval. But it’s clear to me it’s an inferior class. Also gear wise necro skins are insanely better.
I started with warrior to 55 then tried a necro to 79 now and like it a lot better. The warrior just doesn't die but it takes at least twice as long to clear things and whirlwind just gets boring. Might try a rogue next.

cormack12

Gold Member
Then just play the seasonal campaign to completion, work on your season tiers at the same time/afterwards. After that get your class aspects from dungeons.

Unlock your world tiers by doing capstone then its grinding as usual with higher level malignants for your jewelery. As you grind more levels of the season battle pass will unlock.

gatti-man

I started with warrior to 55 then tried a necro to 79 now and like it a lot better. The warrior just doesn't die but it takes at least twice as long to clear things and whirlwind just gets boring. Might try a rogue next.
I really enjoy playing my barb but yeah the progress is slow as hell. Glad he’s my first so I can go back to eternal when I choose to. Necro is the way to go to be competitive though imho.

I really enjoy playing my barb but yeah the progress is slow as hell. Glad he’s my first so I can go back to eternal when I choose to. Necro is the way to go to be competitive though imho.
the downside of the necro is I feel less productive in world boss and legion fights. Blow my load, then have to get essence back. I feel like I'm freeloading sometimes.

edit: kind of like sex

Last edited:

gatti-man

the downside of the necro is I feel less productive in world boss and legion fights. Blow my load, then have to get essence back. I feel like I'm freeloading sometimes.

edit: kind of like sex
Get the legendary that gives you essence for consuming corpses. I also use the blood mist ability that drops a corpse a second. Both of those help.

Get the legendary that gives you essence for consuming corpses. I also use the blood mist ability that drops a corpse a second. Both of those help.
I do have a Umbral ring 4 and use the skill that gives you essence back when blowing up a corpse and use the howler gloves so it chases down targets that work better for bosses but corpse explosion really doesn't do much damage. I also use the blight in bone prison for extra essence. I do need the freezing boots but haven't got it yet. I'd say with my equipment thats pretty much all I need left as the rest of my equipment is godly.

gatti-man

I do have a Umbral ring 4 and use the skill that gives you essence back when blowing up a corpse and use the howler gloves so it chases down targets that work better for bosses but corpse explosion really doesn't do much damage. I also use the blight in bone prison for extra essence. I do need the freezing boots but haven't got it yet. I'd say with my equipment thats pretty much all I need left as the rest of my equipment is godly.
Yeah that sounds good to me. You’re doing plenty of damage then.

Freeman76

“Associate game director Joe Piepiora went on to explain some of Blizzard's thinking behind the patch. The goal was to slow down builds that were "blasting through content"—which is fun, Piepiora admitted—to keep any one stat, particularly cooldown reduction and vulnerable, from dwarfing the effectiveness of all the others.”

The problem that irks me is yet another evidence of the business model, GaaS, nastily affecting the game design… they know they are not prioritising fun but game engagement which is another trait that games built on engagement (all the ones where the money is meant to be made post download) share. Fun is not the most important thing anymore…

They will patch the patch, but they will NOT roll it back.
Same problem Destiny 2 has. In the end everything feels meaningless because all equipment exists within a certain threshold to maintain player engagement and stop people from steamrolling all the content.

The gap between D3 and D4 in terms of potential to just slap everything with an OP build is huge. D3 was a power fantasy in a lot of ways, D4 is very different purely to stop us from finishing everything too quick. Problem is, it also reduces the fun factor.

Probably is a tough balance to strike to be fair to them, but maybe they should rethink the business strategy instead of structuring the entire game around stopping us from finishing it too quick.

I love the game and if I was able to steamroll it like D3, once I finish up the content I just roll a new class, thats why on D3 I had every class at max level and D4 so far I have none.

G-Bus

Banned
I don't know if I'll stick around for season 2. Running a new class is fun but the content is repetitive.

Think I've hit chapter 4 or what ever it's called in the seasonal challenge thingy and I'm left with running all the strongholds again and the same side quests.

Also a bit annoyed I didn't get to keep all my waypoints and just the major city ones.

Probably too much to ask in expecting a lot more variety every season.

Maybe I will get Baldur's Gate 3 at launch now....

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The level scaling really flattens out the experience. Doesn't really matter where I go or what I do, just going to get the same difficulty, same incremental progress per minute. Yay.

Guess I'll beeline through the story and call it a day.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The level scaling really flattens out the experience. Doesn't really matter where I go or what I do, just going to get the same difficulty, same incremental progress per minute. Yay.

Yeah, that’s really weird. Fighting mobs in the Open World seems useless. I usually just skip em to get to the dungeon. I mean, what’s the point? The enemies there are on my level anyway.

Minsc

Gold Member

Yeah, it makes it so you can just play and not worry about which zones are better or weaker - the leveling early on is pretty fast.

It does cap though, at level 50, until you switch to WT3 or WT4.

Still, by unlocking the additional powers and finding better gear is generally how you feel the sense of progression. When you get to your ultimate powers towards the end of the skill tree for the first time, those are really good at tear up everything on the screen for 10 seconds or so. But it takes some work to feel like an unstoppable god all the time in the game, for most classes.

Boneless

I don't understand why they cannot have a reason for increasing the timer:

The only reason I can think of is that they optimise for "time ingame" metric that Diablo is measured by (think shareholders and high tier stakeholders in Blizzard) and these are cheap changes to bump that number.
I'd be a bit surprised though as that would be quite short sighted.

Finally was able to beat the Capstone dungeon and unlock WT4 on my main.
So am level 70 and now the enemies in WT4 are 75+ and dropping the same garbage as Ive been getting 50-70, even though they are a lot tougher and a slog to get through now....
...... maybe i'm Diablo'ing wrong.
At least ive got my other chars and seasonal character to level.

bender

What time is it?

It seems like a lot of the open world, optional dungeons and main missions only scale to 50 so when you level beyond that the game goes from boring to tedious.

dorkimoe

yeah i always thought that was weird, eventually though once you get to running nightmare dungeons you do start melting things faster.

Freeman76

The power creep kicks in when you unlock nightmare dungeons, but then the other problem kicks in, which is the lack of decent drops to help you push higher tiers

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Same problem Destiny 2 has. In the end everything feels meaningless because all equipment exists within a certain threshold to maintain player engagement and stop people from steamrolling all the content.

The gap between D3 and D4 in terms of potential to just slap everything with an OP build is huge. D3 was a power fantasy in a lot of ways, D4 is very different purely to stop us from finishing everything too quick. Problem is, it also reduces the fun factor.

Probably is a tough balance to strike to be fair to them, but maybe they should rethink the business strategy instead of structuring the entire game around stopping us from finishing it too quick.

I love the game and if I was able to steamroll it like D3, once I finish up the content I just roll a new class, thats why on D3 I had every class at max level and D4 so far I have none.

In the last season of D3 I played a hydra wizard and goddamn the hydras would blast one group of enemies in one hit 🤣

shubik

So what’s the consensus on this for PS5? Is it a good game for single player? Is it still in a rough technical state regarding server connection? I think about getting it but still unsure…

Mephisto40

So what’s the consensus on this for PS5? Is it a good game for single player? Is it still in a rough technical state regarding server connection? I think about getting it but still unsure…
The only server issues have been on the day of release and the first day of the season, it's been fine for the rest of the time

Zheph

Works fine on PS5, it was just rough the evening the season launched. Some skills might struggle on consoles due to you not being able to target precisely but it's very nice on controller

Orbital2060

Im having fun with the sorceress, only level 23 but theres some synergy with blizzard and mana reduction on basic skill that works oretty well for clearing packs. Im basically just casting blizzards all over the place and then following up with basic frost spell and ice shards. Ice blades when cd is up. Precasting through walls into the next room, snow all over the place. I love it. Maybe the class curves out poorly on higher levels but Im clearing dungeons and large packs pretty easily with the frost discipline.

cormack12

Gold Member
Anyone time for druid? I'm level 47 pulverise and although it works well in a group, it's very tedious with boss damage or even 2v1 on trash mobs. Really finding it hard to log in and level and LFG takes ages

I'm playing Druid in season one. Level 62 using stormclaw build because I found the crone staff and unique chest that increases werewolf skills whatever it's called. Works alright at the moment but will respec to tornado when I get the unique helm for it. Having fun with it either way.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm playing Druid in season one. Level 62 using stormclaw build because I found the crone staff and unique chest that increases werewolf skills whatever it's called. Works alright at the moment but will respec to tornado when I get the unique helm for it. Having fun with it either way.
What level drops are they?

Am I the only one that is experiencing crashes literally every other day? I've had Diablo 5 crash more than every single other game combined since launch on my PS5. I play hardcore only and it hasn't killed my character yet, and reconnecting is actually really fluid and even puts me back in the same party, so there is that, but it is kind of frustrating especially since I don't even see anyone else complaining about it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I might start a new character to play the season. Never followed seasons much in D3, but I’m curious to see what the fuss is all about.

Mossybrew

I might start a new character to play the season. Never followed seasons much in D3, but I’m curious to see what the fuss is all about.
Yeah, same, I played a ton of D3 but never engaged with the whole seasons thing. I waited to roll a Necro for this season, but I don't know if long-term I'll feel like making a new character every season. Maybe when they introduce a new class.

Orbital2060

You do at world tier 4, though. I had 4 uniques in wt3, which Ive put in the stash. Changed each piece of gear as better items dropped, and got low to mid level wt4 gear now.

Maybe you dont need to, but wt4 at <70 isnt very fun. And last pinnacle dungeon with echo of lilith is level 100+.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Was going to grind to at least battle pass level 75 for the bandana but seeing all the remnant 2 footage I dipped out.

I probably have like 300 hours in the game so I’m Gucci until season 2, or maybe a little time back in when the sorc buffs hit. Although I’ll be honest that my arc lash build at level 56 right now is so damn busted. Did the world boss last night hitting for 500K on him lol. With my basic ability, no core. Giga wild. Buffs can’t hurt but as usual the sky is falling crying Reddit community doesn’t even play sorc and calls it weak.

Hell wasn’t worlds first a sorc for season 1?

Last edited:

KrisB

Am I the only one that is experiencing crashes literally every other day? I've had Diablo 5 crash more than every single other game combined since launch on my PS5. I play hardcore only and it hasn't killed my character yet, and reconnecting is actually really fluid and even puts me back in the same party, so there is that, but it is kind of frustrating especially since I don't even see anyone else complaining about it.
I think all up I’ve had 5 crashes in around 80 hours of gameplay. Overall not too bad. I’ve never lost any progress when it’s happened either.

Codeblew

I haven't had a crash on the PS5 since the first week of release and I play a lot. Is your PS5 well ventilated? You might also try a reinstall.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Got to act 2 on Rogue, level 35.

The synergies are starting to happen with the various abilities, able to refresh death trap a lot and use it to refresh all other cooldowns and energy. So uptime is higher. That’s neat.

Took down a world boss. Got a gold item with an ability I already had via aspect unlock. Ok…

The loot is incredibly boring so far, maybe because the systems are so streamlined. Loot games need crazy items.

I haven't had a crash on the PS5 since the first week of release and I play a lot. Is your PS5 well ventilated? You might also try a reinstall.
I've considered doing a reinstall, but the latest patch seems to have made things more stable. I doubt it is ventilation though because I played through all of FFXVI without any issues. I mean, this is what my error log looks like:

jMh7Xm6.jpg

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
My god, these brainfart sidequests are really giving me a headache. I mean, I’m really don’t anything that tell some kind of story but this is just plain all out embarrassing trash. They really didn’t give a damn?

I think I’m just gonna ignore everything aside from the main quest. First few hours really fooled me into thinking this is a legit D2 sequel when it just looks a bit better, everything below the surface is just a cringy as in D3…

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I just started the season with a necro after completing the game with a barbarian. It's like a different game now, I'm having genuine fun, took me by surprise.. And the character skins looks so much better.

devilNprada

it crashes for me a lot too.. I would agree more than any other game I've played.

Top Bottom