• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drinky Puppy colored dancing bananas thread(40/40 lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Unison said:
What I don't get here is why people are both insisting Nintendogs isn't a game & then whining that it's not as good as games like Zelda or Vagarant Story... If it's not a game, it has to be judged by different standards than games, right?

i think it's probably easier to avoid any of that game/non-game stuff.. certain people wigged out and went nuts, then banned themselves at the mere mention :lol

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Famitsu is BS.

DS is BS too.

So is Nintencrap.

I'm a professional game journalist, so I know what I'm talking about!

hooo

boooy
DarienA said:
Why should I play Nintendogs when I can simply go home and terrorize our 1 year American Eskimo old?

Because actual animals come with responsibility particularly puppies.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
john tv said:
Folder - I wouldn't put too much weight in that. It's not possible for your friend to have the new issue yet - when this information leaks, it's usually straight off the presses, before the issues hit stands. It'll be in some stores early tomorrow, and everywhere else Thursday (usually Friday, but this Friday is a holiday in Japan).

Of course I can't say 100% about this particular image, but my educated guess is yes, it's real.
John. Check your PM.

Ronok

When everyone gets the same "reward", it becomes less valued.

Hmmmmm, isn't that just an easy game? o_O

Does this game deserve 40/40, 10/10, 5/5, 1/1? I dunno, maybe....... Just like a lot of people in this thread I haven't played the game yet.....

Is it a game? Yes it does under my definition of a game...... :-/

Do either of these matter? No. -_-

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The big question is will this review mean we will now see a Revolution launch-title with holographic dog-feeling?

And if so, could GAF survive that?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
hooo said:
Because actual animals come with responsibility particularly puppies.

I can have alot more fun terrorizing an actual animal too! It's all about risk vs. reward baby! ;)

Taichu

A 40/40 seems like a very reasonable score for Nintendogs. I don't have the game, but going off of game information, videos, screens, and Nintendo's history of making the best games in the industry, why is it so shocking?

Also, it's nice to see a magazine praise the DS for its innovations. They really seem to enjoy the DS hardware and the games coming out it. It seems most western magazines made up their minds about the DS hardware and software before the DS even came out unfortunately. To the haters, you can probably expect low scores from those publications.

Funky Papa said:
40/40 seems utterly bananas for any game.

I am with JackFrost2012 on this one (well, minus the cussing)

The funniest thing is, despite all his ranting even he admitted he'd score the game at least an 8 or 9 out of 10 :lol

I don't even know wtf he was so upset about.

Personally I couldn't see myself scoring this game higher than a 7/10, just because it doesn't seem like my thing (7/10 is what I'd give Animal Crossing).

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Taichu said:
A 40/40 seems like a very reasonable score for Nintendogs. I don't have the game, but going off of game information, videos, screens, and Nintendo's history of making the best games in the industry, why is it so shocking?

:lol I almost thought people really thought and spoke like this for a second.... wait... the above wasnt' a joke? ....scary. :(

vitaflo

john tv said:
Well, let me play devil's advocate, in an attempt to bring everyone's blood pressure back down to normal here: why is this such a bad thing? At the end of the day, what difference does it make whether it got four 10s or four 9s or four 5s? Does it really matter? (I'm asking seriously; obviously I'm not trying to bait you.)

It doesn't matter, it's just funny given that Drinky got his panties in a bunch over the game in the first place. :lol

I am for one glad that people are getting their knickers in a twist over a game, I bring the popcorn GAF provides the rest :lol

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Taichu said:
Also, it's nice to see a magazine praise the DS for its innovations. They really seem to enjoy the DS hardware and the games coming out it. It seems most western magazines made up their minds about the DS hardware and software before the DS even came out unfortunately.
You could turn this the other way around and say that it seems most Eastern magazines made up their minds that the DS is the end-all be-all of portables, which simply flies in the face of common sense when the PSP is around.

I like Nintendogs myself (as you can tell from my avatar) but giving what is basically Tamagotchi 64 the fifth perfect score given in 19 years of reviews is just silly.

shuri

Banned
I own this game.

If you take it as a tamagochi type of game, it's well done. Cute graphics, lots of options (for a game of that type), it's the perfect game for a handheld. I find it hard to understand that people play in 2h streches, since what you can do is pretty limited, after all. It's better enjoyed in 10-20 minutes sessions, twice a day.

Sadly, I would find it hard to rate it higher than other games of that type. Seaman, for the dreamcast, felt much more complete, and had much more options and things to do. Since the puppies cant die, there is no challenge, of sence of urgency, like in Seaman. No goal. You don't even have to be the top rated dog or anything in the competition, since you dont see other dogs competing

You dont even see their results.

The microphone is pretty meh also. The animations are very repetitive and get boring REAL quickly. It's cute at first, but.. There's also a lot of weird glitches and even some colision problems. Yesterday one of my dog was laying on the floor, the other dog was right next to him, in a half sitting / half standing position with his head looking like it was laying on the back of the first dog, but it looked real weird and lifeless. The dogs didnt even blink too :| Maybe it was just a bug..

It's still a nice tech demo, and it will be very successful, but it gets stale VERY quickly since you can only teach them about 6-7 commands and thats it.

You can collect all sorts of items, but.. do you really care about having 5 different colored frizbees?

The big problem with Nintendogs is the lack of goal. My sister played a lot of the weekend. She went from incredibly hyped about the game, playing non stop, and she hasnt touched the DS sunday morning. Once you've seen all the animations and tricks, there is nothing else to do.

I'm not surprised to read that the american version will have more things to do, since the japanese version gets stale VERY quickly.

I would give this game a 8/10, but giving it a perfect rating is weird and reeks of moneyhats.

Still a very well made title, well done animations.. but not much substance after a while. It's still going to be very popular.

edit: I really liked Seaman when it came out, and finished it twice, and I'm sad to report that the current japanese version of Nintendogs feels like 30% of Seaman.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
john tv said:
Folder - I wouldn't put too much weight in that. It's not possible for your friend to have the new issue yet - when this information leaks, it's usually straight off the presses, before the issues hit stands. It'll be in some stores early tomorrow, and everywhere else Thursday (usually Friday, but this Friday is a holiday in Japan).

Of course I can't say 100% about this particular image, but my educated guess is yes, it's real.
Sorry John but you are wrong. He has the magazine dated 6th of May.

Scans:

Cover and spine. Note the date.

Only Nintendogs coverage:

PWNED!

I jest, I jest...

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Jonnyram said:
I have that issue too. It came out last week :p
The new issue is dated 5/13-20 as there won't be one next week.
So the issue dated 5th of May came out April 21st, two weeks beforehand? Really?
That's staggering, for a weekly. Unheard of in fact...
Isn't it?

God's Hand. Shut up. :)

Borys

Banned
Interesting thread.

Any game on any platform recieving a perfect score starts riots.

Just like HL2, OoT, WW, Halo 2 and Nintendawgs did (not restricting to Famitsu mag).

Still, it feels weird to mention Nintenducks in the same sentence as HL2 and Zelda.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
MrPing1000 said:
If Sp0nG is right like 5 more times I'm pretty sure the universe explodes or something
It's not SPOnG, it's me.
And I'm never right. Though like I said, the issue dated 5th of May came out April 21st, two weeks beforehand? Really?
Johnnyram, you sure?

impirius

Maybe the reviewers gave it 10/10/10/10 out of fear, because the game obviously has the power to DRIVE PEOPLE UTTERLY INSANE

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
impirius said:
Maybe the reviewers gave it 10/10/10/10 out of fear, because the game obviously has the power to DRIVE PEOPLE UTTERLY INSANE
WINNER! :lol

Jonnyram

Folder said:
So the issue dated 5th of May came out April 21th, two weeks beforehand? Really?
That's staggering, for a weekly. Unheard of in fact...
Isn't it?
Yes. I remember back when I was in the UK, I would get the January issue of Edge in November, or something equally crazy. Why magazines print dates on the cover like this, I do not know, all I can tell you is that if you look on page 236 of your friend's magazine you will see it says the next issue comes out on 4/28, and it has a calendar on the right side. You can see under 28 / Thursday, it says 5/13-20 joint issue.

demi

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:)

ge-man

FortNinety said:
I don't care who you are, no one should get this bent out of shape over a game review.

Quoted for emphasis.

Although I enjoy some of craziness that controversial review inspires, there's limit to how reactionary on should be. The scores are based on opinions, so as always one person's high praise can be another person's lukewarm experince.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
demi said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Indeed. This thread has pretty much everything now :lol

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Jonnyram said:
Yes. I remember back when I was in the UK, I would get the January issue of Edge in November, or something equally crazy. Why magazines print dates on the cover like this, I do not know, all I can tell you is that if you look on page 236 of your friend's magazine you will see it says the next issue comes out on 4/28, and it has a calendar on the right side. You can see under 28 / Thursday, it says 5/13-20 joint issue.
I understand it with monthlies - For shelf-life reasons. But for a weekly news-driven mag sold in one country (officially though publisher Enterbrain) that's astonishing.

I'm sure you understand how any confusion arose.

BTW, SPOnG's resident PhotoShop fake detector says of the original GF.de scan, "If it's fake, it's a really good fake."

Folder said:
It's not SPOnG, it's me.

one and the same the Sp0nG collective, resistance is futile to our website your knowledge will merge with ours to make a even more rediculously overpacked frontpage mwhahahaha!

*cough*

Father_Brain said:
Uh, what did JackFrost get banned for?

Go back a couple of pages. It seems he called everyone asshole mother****ers then asked to be banned.

I think it's gotten to be too much for him. If you'd of asked me who'd of took it badly, I wouldn't of thought him... the one person everyone was rooting for a reaction from seems to have taken it much better. :D

So is the legitimacy of this still up in the air or what?

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
God's Hand said:
Folder, why do you even bother? You've already dug a massive grave, when will you get in it?
Hardly. (In this thread anyway ;)
I went to a lot of trouble to try and find out whether the review is real. You know, involving myself with the community debate. Like you do on a forum. Please, less of the hate, it's becoming so boring.
God's Hand said:
You're a funny guy!
Thank you. You're a tedious guy. I guess we both have our USPs...
MrPing1000 said:
to make a even more rediculously overpacked frontpage mwhahahaha!
Now that hurts! LOL! :lol

demi

Father_Brain said:
Uh, what did JackFrost get banned for?

He's a person who feels yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda and in conclusion felt that he had to take a time-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom