• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catphish

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

The writing was on the wall as to why he purchased that stock. It was not for a pump and dump. He can do far more on a return pumping and dumping low end crypto.

I just noticed the rabble responses like it was the "trend of the day" with select users who came in to repeat the hashtag script all in the same timeframe.

He has done enough pump and dump to expect him to do more, that's a reasonable expectation until they asked him to come to the board when he got his 15% or whatever it was.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder if this will trigger multi-multi-billionaires to start snapping up companies wholesale.

Imagine if Jeff Bezos starts to buy movie or music studios himself, and then rents the broadcast rights back to Amazon Prime. He can convert his tech shares into (such as it is) tangible worth in the form of owning media catalogues.

If nothing else maybe this will wake up anti-monopoly legislation to the hellscape we are finding ourselves in when we allowed such giant corps and their figureheads to accumulate so much wealth.

Nvzman

I wonder if this will trigger multi-multi-billionaires to start snapping up companies wholesale.

Imagine if Jeff Bezos starts to buy movie or music studios himself, and then rents the broadcast rights back to Amazon Prime. He can convert his tech shares into (such as it is) tangible worth in the form of owning media catalogues.

If nothing else maybe this will wake up anti-monopoly legislation to the hellscape we are finding ourselves in when we allowed such giant corps and their figureheads to accumulate so much wealth.
Jeff Bezos already did this before with Washington Post and nobody gave a shit despite it being arguably more conceptually corrupt for an individual to buy a freaking news outlet. It's evidence of the hypocrisy going on.

Irobot82

If this does go through, I hope Elon makes them implement something like what Saylor had come up with. An orange checkmark, costs like $10. You can filter out all tweets that aren't from orange marks. This puts skin in the game and help eliminate spam.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

I bet there will be a "Reesetera Twitter" made asap in aftermath of this.
An interesting free speech test for twitter on the horizon.

It would be surprising if there weren't several options already in development. His talk at TED was inspiring. The town square concept was inspiring. Taken to its Athenian origin there is much that could be done to sphere the square from its current condition. 🌏 🌍 🌎 🌐

Then again, many people have changed and moved on in mind. The period of calmness has provided insights and, maybe, resiliency. It'll be interesting to see what the actual changes are and what happens.

///PATRIOT

Banned
Seriously though, Elon Musk has just made more enemies now. Prepare yourselves with assholes from the USA and around the world trying to pass new legislation to regulate social media to only applying regulation to Twitter.

vpance

Seriously though, Elon Musk has just made more enemies now. Prepare yourselves with assholes from the USA and around the world trying to pass new legislation to regulate social media to only applying regulation to Twitter.

I can see it happening. Battle for the internet next.

thefool

Ultimately he has the blank check. It doesn't matter if you have 100000 managers around you. The company guiding principles will be written by whoever has the check.

You're not wrong about your assumptions, which imo only reinforce the issues around the platform. At least I've heard from the horse's mouth acknowledgement of the wrongdoings and a path of transparency moving forward.

Any tech heads here have any ideas on how the platform could improve from a tech perspective, not moderation perspective?

What would releasing the source code actually do? Anything user experience wise?

Open-sourcing the algorithm will allow to understand how twitter "manipulates" what is shown/hidden to users. Anything that increases transparency is an improvement.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I just hope Nobody_Important Nobody_Important was able to get a refund on his CNN+ subscription cause that tanking in combination with this news is gonna be a bad week for him.

#thoughtsandprayers
C'mon you can do better than that. If you wanna troll then go big.

That's C-tier bait at best. I don't get worked up these days for anything less than A-tier bait. Just ask DeepEnigma DeepEnigma

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom