• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Rex.

Banned
You can't really believe this. The current crop of English managers is average at best. Not a single one of them can be considered a top 10 manager in the PL let alone the world. Also, if English managers want the top jobs in the EPL then they should manage and win in lower divisions or overseas. Rodgers for example was rewarded for his success at Swansea with the Liverpool. There is no way an inexperienced manager is going to get a crack at a Top 4 team as the stakes are too high.

Top EPL managers 2016-2017
Mourinho
Guardiola
Wegner
Conte
Poch
Ranieri
Koeman
Bilic
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Rafa should have been given the job back in 2012 in all honesty. He'd have taken it as well.

Kill3r7

you forgot Klopp

And you forgot Klopp

Edit: Beaten

Meant to edit Klopp but had to take a call.

These guys are stifling English managers and they've had success in weaker leagues than the PL.

Also, if English managers want the top jobs in the EPL then they should manage and win in lower divisions or overseas

Howe, Pardew, Allardyce have all had success in lower divisions AND success in the PL - they don't fit in to any definition of 'inexperienced manager'.

Personally, I don't see how more qualified foreign managers are stifling the progress of English managers. Each and every EPL team is trying to hire the best manager to help them succeed. It is not their job to promote mediocrity. That said, Howe is certainly one to watch. His time will come.

Big-E

I agree that Pelle is good at holding up play and far more skillful then people give him credit for but I think your memory is failing you. Luca Toni was a goal scoring machine. At his prime he averaged around a goal every 2 games at club level.

For the national team, I never liked him. He scored against the Ukraine in the quarter final in 2006, but I felt he would lose the ball too much and couldn't finish. Him and Vieri are two people who did great at club level, but never really took over games at the national level.

Kill3r7

For the national team, I never liked him. He scored against the Ukraine in the quarter final in 2006, but I felt he would lose the ball too much and couldn't finish. Him and Vieri are two people who did great at club level, but never really took over games at the national level.

Agreed. Although Vieri was a much better player than Toni and Pelle.

Martin Glenn: "We'll be looking for the best person for the job, not necessarily the best Englishman"

Apparently one of the three people responsible for picking that new manager. Said twice in the conference that he's 'not a football expert'

Shouldn't people like that be in charge of the business side of the game, rather than football?

spekkeh

Banned
Whatever happened to Beckham after he was assistant to Capello? At least he looked handsome as fuck in a suit. And he can coach players to give a cross.

Not much else probably.

While catching up on the FA press conference I noticed the poll the Beeb has on the side asking who people want as the new England manager.

Leading the way is Glenn "disabled people are paying for past sins" Hoddle, a man who hasn't managed since 2006 and now runs (ran? not sure if it's still going) a training camp based in Spain for unemployed footballers.

MrS

Banned
Martin Glenn: "We'll be looking for the best person for the job, not necessarily the best Englishman"
Apparently one of the three people responsible for picking that new manager. Said twice in the conference that he's 'not a football expert'

Shouldn't people like that be in charge of the business side of the game, rather than football?

This guy gave Roy a 2 year deal after the Brazil fiasco. We should be looking to replace him too imo.

While catching up on the FA press conference I noticed the poll the Beeb has on the side asking who people want as the new England manager.

Leading the way is Glenn "disabled people are paying for past sins" Hoddle, a man who hasn't managed since 2006 and now runs (ran? not sure if it's still going) a training camp based in Spain for unemployed footballers.

English people shouldn't be allowed to vote

bjaelke

Fun factz: Only 650 people on Iceland didn't watch the game last night.

This is wrong unless the entire population was watching TV last night.

99.8% of the people watching TV was tuned in on the game. The 650 (0.2%) people were watching something else.

Germany being the odds-on favorite blows my mind. The team is a shell of themselves right now, and the Slovakia game could very well be a one-hit wonder. They haven't shown any real high class since the WC
Please. We usually don't perform that amazingly between tournaments. Last WM we had one good match and then the rest was shaky as fuck until Brazil. I would say we are more or less the same right now, maybe a bit less efficient in scoring goals, but that's about it.

Beefy

@JimWhite
I understand Harry Redknapp would welcome the opportunity to speak to the FA and would partner up with Glenn Hoddle #ENG

Ergh.

Syder

Hoddle & Redknapp.

vicious1.jpg

Probity

Please. We usually don't perform that amazingly between tournaments. Last WM we had one good match and then the rest was shaky as fuck until Brazil. I would say we are more or less the same right now, maybe a bit less efficient in scoring goals, but that's about it.

I fully understand that we're terrible between tournaments, record-wise. I don't mind it because it's generally the result of tinkering and trying things out in different ways with new players and it allows for a lot of younger guys to grow into the team.

Regardless of that, I disagree. I felt that the only game where we obviously under performed was against Algeria. The US played fairly well against us and Ghana's style is something our tactics always struggle against. Portugal was a good game, and France, Brazil, and Argentina where all top teams in the tournament. The results look shaky but Germany had a hard run to the final.

The 2014 team also started to perform drastically better overall when Löw moved stuff around and put Lahm back in his spot. This year's team feels like it has a lot of missing components. We're a team loaded with a million high class midfielders, one amazing defender, one solid CB, an off-year Neuer, and a lack of central scoring threat. Everything that looked good about us against Slovakia could very well fail against Italy. All things considered, we had a phenomenal lucky goal from Boateng, a solid tap in by Gomez, a missed penalty, and an unmarked volley from Draxler. Any three of those could have gone differently. We had 17 shots and only 5 on target. Slovakia looks like it was a good game but it was really just a presentation of midfield dominance.

The team lacks any clinical presence and is shaky in crossing and wing defense. It'd be great and just fine if our great midfield players were performing as intended but a lot of times there feels like the team lacks any creativity. I haven't felt confident in a while that the team will score, because it feels like the majority of the time they are just kind of lucky. I felt a lot differently 2 years ago.

casiopao

Good. How about Donadoni guys? or Prandeli? Those two are good coach there.^_^ And their Italian style teaching will also help teaching England player more on tactics.

I fully understand that we're terrible between tournaments, record-wise. I don't mind it because it's generally the result of tinkering and trying things out in different ways with new players and it allows for a lot of younger guys to grow into the team.

Regardless of that, I disagree. I felt that the only game where we obviously under performed was against Algeria. The US played fairly well against us and Ghana's style is something our tactics always struggle against. Portugal was a good game, and France, Brazil, and Argentina where all top teams in the tournament. The results look shaky but Germany had a hard run to the final.

The 2014 team also started to perform drastically better overall when Löw moved stuff around and put Lahm back in his spot. This year's team feels like it has a lot of missing components. We're a team loaded with a million high class midfielders, one amazing defender, one solid CB, an off-year Neuer, and a lack of central scoring threat. Everything that looked good about us against Slovakia could very well fail against Italy. All things considered, we had a phenomenal lucky goal from Boateng, a solid tap in by Gomez, a missed penalty, and an unmarked volley from Draxler. Any three of those could have gone differently. We had 17 shots and only 5 on target. Slovakia looks like it was a good game but it was really just a presentation of midfield dominance.

The team lacks any clinical presence and is shaky in crossing and wing defense. It'd be great and just fine if our great midfield players were performing as intended but a lot of times there feels like the team lacks any creativity. I haven't felt confident in a while that the team will score, because it feels like the majority of the time they are just kind of lucky. I felt a lot differently 2 years ago.
Idk, it's less luck and more bad defence on the opponents part I feel like. Same thing that allowed us to beat Brazil 7-1. We didn't do that because we played so amazing, their defence was close to non existent after the first few minutes lol

Every game is different really and I remember being really nervous most of WM 14. Wasn't overly confident in our team for most of the running time. It can go either way. I do feel though our defence is really good right now, 2014 had a lot more shaky moments where Neuer had to save the day, not so much this time. Italy will of course properly test if I'm right or not :p

Socreges

Banned
He does know England doesn't equal the entire UK, right?

He also knows Iceland also isn't in the EU, right?
You do know that England is 84% of the U.K., right? And that Scotland and Northern Ireland voted Remain? :p

It was a great call. And I'd pardon him for the slight given that England fans were booing.

AC!D

You do know that England is 84% of the U.K., right? And that Scotland and Northern Ireland voted Remain? :p

It was a great call. And I'd pardon him for the slight given that England fans were booing.

The England fans were clearly booing their own inept team. Or calling for Boo-urns, one of the two.

We haven't beaten Iceland yet. I actually hope we won't, I want them to go all the way and see if we can fit their whole population in a stadium for the final. :D
Saint-Denis only has 80'000 places dude. But maybe if you keep that whalers out, there is a chance that the rest of the population fits in :D

Fistwell

Go france. Gonna be tough to break Iceland. Hope the game doesn't suck. Interested to see what kind of team he fields. Already, Rami is out of there so that's a win. Not sure how I feel about Umtiti though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom