• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport will release without Spectator Mode, Racing with A.I. in Featured Multiplayer and Splitscreen

Topher

Gold Member
im selling mine. and as a matter of fact, Xbox should discontinue it and do a trade in program where anyone who trades it in at a local gamestop, walmart, best buy, etc gets a series X free of charge. It's holding them back too much, when will they have to start outright cutting games

Sucks for guys like you most of all, bro. Listening to the DF guys debating over whether or not the XSS should be supported "optionally" is a travesty.

Phil Spencer and Microsoft fucked up with the XSS. I've been reluctant to go down that path, but now it is clear. This thing was a mistake.

TrueGrime

If having 48x the tire physics of the previous game doesn't create a perceptible increase in the game's quality among the majority of the customer base, and doesn't do anything more than just going for say 24x the tire physics, when the latter could have also allowed split-screen or Spectator Mode at launch, then maybe the team made a bad choice.

Because while some people ITT are saying they don't use those modes, the thing is, previous games had them from jump, and they create a much more obvious, immediate perception of additional content and features than marginal benefits in tire physics being 48x vs 24x.

GT7 user scores on MetaCritic were partly due to console warriors review-bombing the game. A bit of it was over always-online even for the SP mode which is still a silly requirement, but hey at least the SP campaign is still there. Some of the pricing for a few of the cars was absolutely ridiculous, but you could still earn those cars through regular play of the game. GT7 wasn't a case of missing features/modes vs previous entries.

I mean, I get what you're saying and that's fair, but neither you nor I know what kind of work is going into making a new game.

You did mention TLOU2 MP in your last post and if it were as easy as simply carbon copying legacy standard features from old games, developers would always do this. However, they obviously want to prioritize and I'm sure if you took a poll amongst the die hard Motorsport players and ask them if they want this game to be delayed because they prioritized new features and didn't have time to work the old ones in they'd tell you to release.

As for GT7, those negative user reviews were well earned and not just from console warriors, if I remember correctly. People reacted badly to the nerfing playing payouts vs paid, legends dealer, launch cars, and the overall grind, with the biggest complaint being microtransactions.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Burning Freak Out GIF by Jin

Xbox Engineers trying to deal with all of these Series S issues.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Here is some of the gameplay from 24:39 and there is some wet weather too from 25:49

24:39 could pass for Xbox One era gameplay. the wet weather isnt all that impressive either.

I have no idea wtf happened with this game. Even if the 4 tflops series s is holding it back, that console is still 3x more powerful than the xbox one. It should not look on par with that game. Did they even try to improve the visuals or did they just add RT and call it a day?

We have seen this in many RT games. RTGI just makes the lighting more accurate. it does NOT magically enhance the visual fidelity of the game. Same goes for RT reflections. In racing games, its almost impossible to notice accurate RT reflections and other techniques produce decent looking reflections. Its just a waste of time implementing RT and just phoning in weather, lighting and other visual effects.

It looks better than GT7, most game do in wet weather IMO. Though it can be argued that GT7 doesn't look gamey.

But it amazes me that DC was way ahead of it times and still racing games are struggling to beat it:

At the end of the day, it comes down to talent. We have seen this time and time again this gen. AAA studios that used to be graphical powerhouses have simply stopped producing. the hardware is there. the power is there. the talent and the drive to exceed visual fidelity simply isnt there.

they did do some stuff under the hood when it comes to gameplay so i guess thats something.

Fredrik

Obviously people know me to favor MS in this forum, but Series S parity is turning into a fucking parody and one of the dumbest decisions coming from the top in terms of Xbox.

I'm all for trying to make people jump into a new generation with a very cheap offering of a console, but when it's holding the stronger console back and you're not planning a pro-console, you're fucking devs and your customers over.
Agreed. And I too generally like a lot of things MS does.

In theory the S was a good idea, IF it would actually work so only the resolution were affected. But in reality it’s quite possibly the biggest stumble ever in the console industry.

And I can not believe they don’t rip that parity requirement to shreds when they see that they’ll miss out on the launch of one of the highest rated games ever - BG3. Legendary self-own.

I definitely understand that they don’t want it to take away the focus from Starfield on September 6 but there are other suitable days between now and eternity. There is literally no release date at all for the Xbox version right now when the hype is the highest. That’s baaaad.

What’s worse is that I guarantee that more devs will do the same thing now, delaying the Xbox version, when they realize they can do that.

Also, no plan for a X/Pro. And they signed a contract to have CoD on Playstation for 10 years and there will be a PS5 Pro. And next gen assumed to start in 2027-2028. That’s 4 years of Playstation being the best place to play Call of Duty. And GTA6. And whatever else big multiplat we’ll see this gen, goes for their own games too since some are multiplats.

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

Last edited:

sendit

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Agreed. And I too generally like a lot of things MS does.

In theory the S was a good idea, IF it would actually work so only the resolution were affected. But in reality it’s quite possibly the biggest stumble ever in the console industry.

And I can not believe they don’t rip that parity requirement to shreds when they see that they’ll miss out on the launch of one of the highest rated games ever - BG3. Legendary self-own.

I definitely understand that they don’t want it to take away the focus from Starfield on September 6 but there are other suitable days between now and eternity. There is literally no release date at all for the Xbox version right now. That’s baaaad.

What’s worse is that I guarantee that more devs will do the same thing now, delaying the Xbox version, when they realize they can do that.

Also, no plan for a X/Pro. And they signed a contract to have CoD on Playstation for 10 years and there will be a PS5 Pro. And next gen assumed to start in 2027-2028. That’s 4 years of Playstation being the best place to play Call of Duty. And GTA6. And whatever else big multiplat we’ll see this gen, goes for their own games too since some are multiplats.

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF
It's just one game. And that too because of split screen. I think MS shouldve dropped the requirement but i guess they didnt realize how big this game was going to be. DF mentioned how the Xbox 360 arcade version had no HDD but when GTAV came out, the hdd was required. I remember buying the arcade and having to borrow my friend's hdd because we couldnt play Halo 3 coop together. A 2007 game. Another HDD requirement.

So there is precedent here. Not sure why they feel like splitscreen is the hill to die on. Just ship it on the xsx and move on.

And they will have a pro come on. They will just come out a year later with it just like they did with the x1x. You will have a more powerful console than the PS5 pro for the last 3 years of the gen.

GTA6 is not going to get delayed on the xbox because series s has a 60% split. the game is being designed around its specs.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

@ Fredrik Fredrik , that's a boatload of insanity right there. You realize that if MS is only legally obligated to provide parity to PS when it comes to CoD, they could just stick to that right? Meaning a theoretical PS5 Pro could actually have a 4090 in there and they can simply not release an enhancement patch for that model along with hard-locking the fps and resolution caps. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Fredrik

Not sure why they feel like splitscreen is the hill to die on. Just ship it on the xsx and move on.
Yeah. Delay the Series S version. Or delay the splitscreen feature. Who would even use split screen on a cRPG??? Imagine going through the inventory, just having to use a controller must be bad enough and doing it on a tiny screen with low res must be horrible.
And they will have a pro come on. They will just come out a year later with it just like they did with the x1x. You will have a more powerful console than the PS5 pro for the last 3 years of the gen.
I don’t know, Phil saying in an interview that they don’t hear the community requesting it gave me bad vibes. I think they thought Sony wouldn’t do it, and now they’ll be behind the schedule if they understand they need it.
GTA6 is not going to get delayed on the xbox because series s has a 60% split. the game is being designed around its specs.
Not delayed but the best version will be on PS5 Pro, knowing Rockstar they’ll delay the PC version so you can’t go that route either.

Fredrik

@ Fredrik Fredrik , that's a boatload of insanity right there. You realize that if MS is only legally obligated to provide parity to PS when it comes to CoD, they could just stick to that right? Meaning a theoretical PS5 Pro could actually have a 4090 in there and they can simply not release an enhancement patch for that model along with hard-locking the fps and resolution caps. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You’re living in a fantasy, there is no way that Activision Blizzard will hurt the release of their most important IP on the biggest platform because Microsoft’s hardware team has been sleeping. The devs don’t care about console war, they just want to impress as much as they can on the hardware they release their games on.

DaGwaphics

You’re living in a fantasy, there is no way that Activision Blizzard will hurt the release of their most important IP on the biggest platform because Microsoft’s hardware team has been sleeping. The devs don’t care about console war, they just want to impress as much as they can on the hardware they release their games on.

For one the PS5 Pro will likely be irrelevant to the generation overall, just like the PS4 Pro (what percentage of the user base did that ever represent?). Second, many games released on PS after the Pro that didn't do much with the machine. MS will have to put a game over there with parity in features, they don't need to spend their funds and development time creating a special release for PS. Wake up from that fever dream.

Last edited:

Fredrik

For one the PS5 Pro will be irreverent to the generation overall, just like the PS4 Pro. Second, many games released on PS after the Pro that didn't do much with the machine. MS will have to put a game over there with parity in features, they don't need to spend their funds and development time creating a special release for PS. Wake up from that fever dream.
So you think MS will tell Infinity Ward to deliberately cripple a PS5 Pro version to not make it better than the Series X version?
How would they even do that??
Every game use dynamic resolution now, how would they hold a more powerful box within the same min max resolutions if it could easy do native res? How would they drop the fps as low when certain effects goes in on a more powerful box that can brute force through it all with ease?

damidu

For one the PS5 Pro will be irreverent to the generation overall, just like the PS4 Pro. Second, many games released on PS after the Pro that didn't do much with the machine. MS will have to put a game over there with parity in features, they don't need to spend their funds and development time creating a special release for PS. Wake up from that fever dream.
wake up from your fanboy dream, there isnt a game that released after ps4pro that doesnt support it, thats actually another clause for you to release on the system.

DaGwaphics

wake up from your fanboy dream, there isnt a game that released after ps4pro that doesnt support it, thats actually another clause for you to release on the system.

Of course it would support it natively. There are many that don't do much with it though. LOL You realize that there are games on the Pro that literally don't raise the fps caps or the resolution, with the "feature" being that they hold the targets better. Lazy sure, but it did happen.

So you think MS will tell Infinity Ward to deliberately cripple a PS5 Pro version to not make it better than the Series X version?
How would they even do that??
Every game use dynamic resolution now, how would they hold a more powerful box within the same min max resolutions if it could easy do native res? How would they drop the fps as low when certain effects goes in on a more powerful box that can brute force through it all with ease?

Ultimately the developers decide all the caps and resolution ranges. Think about your own twisted scenario there, in your mind you think this PS5 Pro version is destroying MS gaming, and within that situation you feel they are going to put a lot of resources into making this happen. Okay.

I'm sure the PS5 will always have a great version of CoD, and the users with Pros will probably have solid support as well. I don't see a MS owned ABK putting a ton of resources into creating a better version of CoD for PS, no. They will always give them as good of a version though, which is what they've promised.

Last edited:

damidu

Of course it would support it natively. There are many that don't do much with it though. LOL You realize that there are games on the Pro that literally don't raise the fps caps or the resolution, with the "feature" being that they hold the targets better. Lazy sure, but it did happen.
yeah receipts, please

DaGwaphics

yeah receipts, please

I don't own a Pro, I just remember seeing some reviews with weak improvements. It's certainly possible that people were being hyperbolic.

Edit: A quick google search of the worst PS4 Pro ports turns up that the bad results are mostly games that tried go 60fps but couldn't do it.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Ultimately the developers decide all the caps and resolution ranges.
You do realize that a dynamic resolution on a more powerful box will always have higher resolution, right?
They would have to literally set the resolution on PS5 Pro to like 1200p without any dynamic range to never go above XSX. Won’t happen.

Ozriel

M$FT
Split-screen. Spectator Mode. Those are two right there. Forza's direct rival has those features and had them from launch. Whether you use them a ton or not yourself isn't the point. They still have an audience

It isn’t missing Spectator mode, though. They’ve added a new multiplayer mode (Featured Multiplayer) and chosen to omit Spectator mode and AI cars from that new mode, with reasons provided. Other multiplayer modes have Spectator mode.

The ‘their rival has split screen so they must have it at launch’ narrative makes no sense. It’s a different game, on a different console and it’s not a widely used feature these days.

Might as well ask why you bought GT7 when it launched with fewer cars and fewer tracks than ‘direct rival’ Forza Motorsport 7

and Turn 10 just adding the features in months or up to a year later shouldn't warrant some big celebration of an accomplishment.

Point a single person in this thread who’s said that adding split screen later should warrant a celebration

Ozriel

M$FT
Sucks for guys like you most of all, bro. Listening to the DF guys debating over whether or not the XSS should be supported "optionally" is a travesty.

Phil Spencer and Microsoft fucked up with the XSS. I've been reluctant to go down that path, but now it is clear. This thing was a mistake.

In hindsight, a discless Series X for $399 might have been the better play. Though yield issues would have meant they’d have much lower marketshare than they currently have.

I don’t think the concept of the XSS was a mistake. I think going with a GPU less than 6TF and with such a crippled memory setup was the mistake.

Ultimately the developers decide all the caps and resolution ranges. Think about your own twisted scenario there, in your mind you think this PS5 Pro version is destroying MS gaming, and within that situation you feel they are going to put a lot of resources into making this happen. Okay.

I'm sure the PS5 will always have a great version of CoD, and the users with Pros will probably have solid support as well. I don't see a MS owned ABK putting a ton of resources into creating a better version of CoD for PS, no. They will always give them as good of a version though, which is what they've promised.

Microsoft just put out Quake 2 Remastered on the PS5 with full support for every PS5 feature. Activity cards, adaptive triggers, gyro, controller speakers etc.

There’s no basis for some of these scaremongering takes, tbh.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This shit is clearly FUD.
We all know games don‘t come with split screen anymore, and no AI in “featured multiplayer” what the hell does that even mean?
and spectator mode, are y’all for real?

And no drag racing. And no drift mode.

I still believe it’s a worthy tradeoff if we’re getting a true next gen feeling racing game but there are people who might feel disappointed.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I really like the little box but I'm starting to lean that way. The design and everything is amazing but I guess it needed 12gb of ram or something and it needed to be all super high speed. They deffo fucked up something in the design with the memory. It looks like that is obvious right now.

Riky

$MSFT
I really like the little box but I'm starting to lean that way. The design and everything is amazing but I guess it needed 12gb of ram or something and it needed to be all super high speed. They deffo fucked up something in the design with the memory. It looks like that is obvious right now.

What happens when the split screen comes out later and it's on Series S? The hardware didn't change, this is a track racer so I have serious doubts the delay in split screen is anything to do with Series S and there is no indication that it's the case. Just because a completely different game from a completely different developer in a completely different genre has an issue it doesn't mean it applys here.
I think Turn 10 are just prioritising what they promised for launch.

Same as Series S games launching with no 60fps occasionally, everyone chimes in but you don't hear them when it's patched in later.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Disagree that it should be discontinued but M$ needed to drop the parity clause yesterday.

Admit they fucked up with their initial messaging and allow developers to launch games without Series X features like split screen.

You bought a Series X Lite, you need to accept you might not get every game mode.

I don’t see any other way out because what will happen if things remain the same is that more games will continue to launch on PS5 first.

Ozriel

M$FT
Disagree that it should be discontinued but M$ needed to drop the parity clause yesterday.

Admit they fucked up with their initial messaging and allow developers to launch games without Series X features like split screen.

You bought a Series X Lite, you need to accept you might not get every game mode.

I don’t see any other way out because what will happen if things remain the same is that more games will continue to launch on PS5 first.

They’d be hard pressed to cut parity of gameplay modes. It could even expose them to a class action suit.

most games aren’t launching with split screen, so it’s hard to argue that you’ll see this issue becoming that much more prevalent as the gen goes on. We certainly don’t even know for sure that the Series S is behind Split screen being deprioritized for Forza. For sure it’s not the XSS that kept Redfall from launching with a performance mode or the 30fps cap on Starfield, since they’ve never mandated framerate parity.

The fact they’re in this situation at all is such a ridiculous unforced error.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
In paper a cheaper console that can do all the big brother can, but just cheaper and with less resolution is a great idea, and that works well with Gamepass idea. In my opinion the reality is that consoles are already supposed to be cheap in the first place so being cheaper does not bring that much to the table but any downside, real of imagined can really mess it up. A XSS is a really great gift to give to someone and nothing will change that in the next few years. Any weakness like the RAM will not be important for people that will just use it for games like FIFA or GTA5... What is sad is that it is at the cost of the XSX. And that it can only get worse in the years to come. Nintendo did a Wii that was weaker than the PS3 and Xbox 360 and made it work. But it forced them even since to have shorter generations compared to Sony and Xbox until they fusionned their portables and home consoles business for the Switch. I think that the Series S will be less and less attractive with time for the same reasons.
What happens when the split screen comes out later and it's on Series S? The hardware didn't change, this is a track racer so I have serious doubts the delay in split screen is anything to do with Series S and there is no indication that it's the case. Just because a completely different game from a completely different developer in a completely different genre has an issue it doesn't mean it applys here.
I think Turn 10 are just prioritising what they promised for launch.

Same as Series S games launching with no 60fps occasionally, everyone chimes in but you don't hear them when it's patched in later.
The question here is in my opinion not how good the XSS is but what is lost between the 2 Xbox consoles and what could have been if Microsoft had not gone that way. And that question can't be denied. The Series S main selling point is that it is cheap. But all consoles get cheaper with time. And get sold and resold obviously. When even the Series X( and PS5 of course) will be considered weak hardware and cheap old consoles, what will happen to the Series S in your opinion?

Riky

$MSFT
In paper a cheaper console that can do all the big brother can, but just cheaper and with less resolution is a great idea, and that works well with Gamepass idea. In my opinion the reality is that consoles are already supposed to be cheap in the first place so being cheaper does not bring that much to the table but any downside, real of imagined can really mess it up. A XSS is a really great gift to give to someone and nothing will change that in the next few years. Any weakness like the RAM will not be important for people that will just use it for games like FIFA or GTA5... What is sad is that it is at the cost of the XSX. And that it can only get worse in the years to come. Nintendo did a Wii that was weaker than the PS3 and Xbox 360 and made it work. But it forced them even since to have shorter generations compared to Sony and Xbox until they fusionned their portables and home consoles business for the Switch. I think that the Series S will be less and less attractive with time for the same reasons.

The question here is in my opinion not how good the XSS is but what is lost between the 2 Xbox consoles and what could have been if Microsoft had not gone that way. And that question can't be denied. The Series S main selling point is that it is cheap. But all consoles get cheaper with time. And get sold and resold obviously. When even the Series X( and PS5 of course) will be considered weak hardware and cheap old consoles, what will happen to the Series S in your opinion?
The same sort of deal that happened to Xbox One. The gap between Xbox One S and One X is actually larger in the GPU, Ram and CPU than between the Series X and S.

Yet what features were cut from Xbox One S versions. It was all graphical and framerate cuts not game modes.

Ozriel

M$FT
F*ck the siblings or playing with your dad or uncles on splitscreen I guess because it's a "useless" or barely used feature it seems

No Split screen in Forza Horizon 5, which is the most played ‘serious’ racing game out there. Didn’t seem to hamper its popularity.

DriveClub never had splitscreen.
Project Cars? Never
Asseto Corsa doesn’t have Split screen

GT7 has a split screen mode but it’s limited, last I checked, implemented only as vertical splits without full screen and - worst of all - nerfs player 2 making the entire thing uncompetitive. Reddit reaction is overwhelmingly negative and it’s clear it’s not a priority for PD.

Essentially, it’s easy to see why it’s been deprioritized as a feature for launch in 2023 for Forza, and it’s hard not to see much of the ‘outrage’ and ‘concern’ here as being driven by platform preferences.

Astray

Gold Member

This part in bold is basically a class-action lawsuit waiting to happen.

Because that wasn't the messaging at all when they were launching the device.

Ozriel

M$FT

The real problem could happen early next gen in a Crossgen period where devs might be incentivized to skip the Series X/S…similar to what we’re seeing today where games show up on PS4/PS4 Pro but skip the more powerful One X because dealing with the Xbox One is a hassle.

The crazy, nuclear option could be to set aside $2bn and swap out the XSS with a ‘pro’ version with more powerful, higher clocked GPU and a RAM setup that’s not far off the Series X. Keep the storage the same.

MS won’t sign off on that, and it would certainly spell the end of Spencer’s career.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
The same sort of deal that happened to Xbox One. The gap between Xbox One S and One X is actually larger in the GPU, Ram and CPU than between the Series X and S.

Yet what features were cut from Xbox One S versions. It was all graphical and framerate cuts not game modes.
The difference is that the Xbox one was the standard version, and the One X console is a facultative console, and was not the new normal version when it was out. A game can be made with weak hardware in mind, and then be out in a stronger one with benefits. But it will never be the same as being made with this new hardware in mind since the beginning. The question is how good a Xbox One X game would be if it did not have the One to slow it down?
The real problem could happen early next gen in a Crossgen period where devs might be incentivized to skip the Series X/S…similar to what we’re seeing today where games show up on PS4/PS4 Pro but skip the more powerful One X because dealing with the Xbox One is a hassle.
This seems to be obvious to me too. But in this case it will be more of a market problem than a technical one. If the Series S and X continue to sell poorly( compared to their concurrents of course, as they will probably be more than 50 millions Series consoles by the end of the generation) I think that the split user base will be they biggest problem if the Series S dies faster. We have seen the Xbox One become irrelevant faster than the PS5 because of the weaker userbase. Here I can see both sides moving differently as the Series S and X are not really the same and does not appeal to the same groups. it will be fascinating to see how it will be in the next few years from that perspective. Will the Series X, who want a "premium console" move out faster to the next Xbox? Will the Series S, who are supposed to be attracted by the cheap cost stay longer or move on to a more standard offering in the Series X/PS5? This would need a new thread in my opinion but we still have a few years before seeing that happen.

Riky

$MSFT
The difference is that the Xbox one was the standard version, and the One X console is a facultative console, and was not the new normal version when it was out. A game can be made with weak hardware in mind, and then be out in a stronger one with benefits. But it will never be the same as being made with this new hardware in mind since the beginning. The question is how good a Xbox One X game would be if it did not have the One to slow it down?

This seems to be obvious to me too. But in this case it will be more of a market problem than a technical one. If the Series S and X continue to sell poorly( compared to their concurrents of course, as they will probably be more than 50 millions Series consoles by the end of the generation) I think that the split user base will be they biggest problem if the Series S dies faster. We have seen the Xbox One become irrelevant faster than the PS5 because of the weaker userbase. Here I can see both sides moving differently as the Series S and X are not really the same and does not appeal to the same groups. it will be fascinating to see how it will be in the next few years from that perspective. Will the Series X, who want a "premium console" move out faster to the next Xbox? Will the Series S, who are supposed to be attracted by the cheap cost stay longer or move on to a more standard offering in the Series X/PS5? This would need a new thread in my opinion but we still have a few years before seeing that happen.

That's true, apart from that when you get to the end of the gen with the likes of Gears 5, Halo 5 and Forza Horizon 4 you can see that One X was clearly the lead console. Then they just cut back what they had to in graphics and framerate to work on One S.
Also Series S does have the advantages of the RDNA2 feature set which revolves around saving Ram and bandwidth. Because of long period of cross gen and long development times we still haven't seen those features being used. Forza will at least use plumbed in Tier 2 VRS, maybe SFS too as they have been integrated into DX12U now. Hopefully by the end of the gen these are used more widely and at least by first parties so we'll see an uptick in performance on Series consoles.

Success

Series S is really hurting Xbox.

No splitscreen again!

Cannot believe that I used to be a former Xbox Defence League member.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
That's true, apart from that when you get to the end of the gen with the likes of Gears 5, Halo 5 and Forza Horizon 4 you can see that One X was clearly the lead console. Then they just cut back what they had to in graphics and framerate to work on One S.
Also Series S does have the advantages of the RDNA2 feature set which revolves around saving Ram and bandwidth. Because of long period of cross gen and long development times we still haven't seen those features being used. Forza will at least use plumbed in Tier 2 VRS, maybe SFS too as they have been integrated into DX12U now. Hopefully by the end of the gen these are used more widely and at least by first parties so we'll see an uptick in performance on Series consoles.
Don't really know about what Xbox does for their games but you get a loose loose situation in that case. Either the superior console is not giving all it can give to the users, or most of the consumers get a worse experience than they should (the Xbox one probably sold more than 10 times than the One X I believe). For the Series S it will not change the discussion that much as any advantage it has form a RDNA2 the Series X has it too. So a Tier 2 VRS game will still have more use of that feature with more ram, and as the Series X has more RAM the problem is just moved on. Think of it as if the PS5 does not exist. Would that change any game? They would still either be made for PS4/Xbox One and so be cross gen anyway. And when the cross gen ends we have games that either don't use the best console to the max, or the weaker console is abandonned a little. Devs will always want more power. So either the Series X and PS5 lack a few things( like not enough RAM, cache for the CPU, Raytracing...) or they have too much and the Series S have just enough. In the CPU the S is good. In GPU I can see first parties do the work and surprise us as the console does have the power to do a lot in 1080p resolution. But the RAM... A lot of people does not seems to accept it. We will see what will happen in the next few years. And if I follow what you have said a PS5 Pro would like the One X did in some occasions be the lead console one day. In that case what would happen to the Series S in that scenario for you? Or the Xbox equivalent if they do one ?

I don’t understand why Xbox first party games continue to have to cut features, it just makes no sense given how much resources they have access too and these are sequels so it’s not like they are making brand new games with brand new concepts.

They are suppose to be adding on to what’s already been done not cutting back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom