• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| When you play a Game of Telltale you win or break it

Roto13

The worst thing about the fact that it doesn't make any sense is that it's also somehow completely predictable.

Between that and Ramsay's decision that is nullified before you can even make it thanks to his plot armour, Rodrick's section of this episode was pretty bad, which is a shame, because his stuff is usually some of the most interesting in the game.

I just finished episode 5. That decision at the end.

My big brother instincts got the best of me, and I had Rodrick stay behind. I openly wept afterwards - but mostly for Elena. First losing Arthur, and now this.

ron_swanson_throw_out_computer-580-100538109-large.gif

Huh. Go figure this has a thread. OP is in dire need of updating, though.
BRAVO TELLTALE

I have exactly zero expectations for the
Rodrick/Asher split
in episode 6.

The truth hurts.

My big brother instincts got the best of me, and I had Rodrick stay behind. I openly wept afterwards - but mostly for Elena. First losing Arthur, and now this.

Ep 5 was rough.
Asher's the best, and that's why I had to let him do his thing and face everyone off. After all, if anyone could survive it would be Asher. I doubt it'll be a huge split in the story, but I can't help but mourn Asher's awesomeness. That smile is the best.

My Rodrik will be proud and defiant to the very end. I have seen to it.

Finally got to finish this episode....

I don't think I ever had control of my character!

Very fast chapter (not that there's anything wrong with that). And I thought it was one of the better of the bunch.

Looking forward to the last episode!

NeoROCK

I played Ep1 because it is Free on PSN. I loved it and became immersed in the story, so I bought the season pass and played through all 5 episodes now.

First time playing a TellTale game and huge fan of GoT. I really like it.

For the record, Episode 6 is releasing November 17th on all platforms.

I played Ep1 because it is Free on PSN. I loved it and became immersed in the story, so I bought the season pass and played through all 5 episodes now.

You know who's the best?
Asher. It's totally Asher.
TellTale knocked it out of the park with him.

If you like GoT, check out The Walking Dead season 1 or Tales From the Borderlands. They're both very good. A sale is guaranteed by the end of the year.

Try The Walking Dead Season 1, its arguably better than other telltale titles.

It was the same for me.
As a big brother I had to let Rodrick behind, even when he was my favorite character.

It was hard but no regrets.

Carl

Set to download, should be ready when I get home from work.

I love being able to set download remotely :)

Yeah it's really useful :) I'll play it when i get home too, was just wondering if anyone has already played.

They have a lot of ground to cover in this episode if they're tying up all of the loose ends.

NeO JD

Neo Member
I'm surprised nobody commented on the last ep yet. Just finished it. I feel a little disappointed by how it turned out but I guess I should've expected that based on the source material. By that I mean,
["When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die." Wasn't expecting a season 2 though. Not hyped for it but I'll still play it.

If you're curious, for me:

-Asher was badly injured and met up with his sister Talia and the traitor Royland at the end, after watching his mother drink the poison to convince Lord Whitehill to drink it himself.

-Mira watched the boy Tom die and then married Morgryn to stay alive and not be executed for killing a royal guard.

-Gared convinced the people at the North Grove to head South towards Ironrath after sacrificing Cotter's heart for Bloodmagic.

On my home screen, I only see Gared and Asher left. It transitions to show Gared in the North Grove and Asher in front of Ironrath in flames.

Herne

It's not up on Steam yet. C'mon Telltale, get with it...

Edit - Apparently they always launch at 7pm GMT, so exactly four hours from now.

Roxas

Well, that was a Game of Thrones episode alright.

Also the percentage things at the end made me realise what an absolute psychopath i may be.

HUGE FINAL EPISODE SPOILER
Didnt actually think Myra was going to get her head chopped off

Valkrai

Also the percentage things at the end made me realise what an absolute psychopath i may be.

Oh shit, shouldn't have clicked on it. :(

NeO JD

Neo Member

She didn't for me but she also wasn't at the end screen for me so I don't know if she's gone permanently for me regardless. I felt like there was no happy ending in this game. Although, I'm inclined to go back and try it conservatively to see if I can get more people to survive.

Maybe I just made shitty choices but I really didn't enjoy the final episode that much. Gared and Mira's story lines were fine but everything else was kinda crap in my opinion.

Mookow

Finished. It felt like the train was not stopping for some sort of GOT style ending no matter what. I played this game like an arrogant prick with my choices, and it showed by how the end was. Guess this is the first Telltale game I've played that could have an ending wildly different than other players.

Velcoro

Maybe I just made shitty choices but I really didn't enjoy the final episode that much. Gared and Mira's story lines were fine but everything else was kinda crap in my opinion.

Friend played it and didn't like it either. Not much good feedback from the people who've played it so far.

Tizoc

Started ep. 1 on Steam.
I ended up letting Bowen die :V
I didn't mean to tbh, let me start again and save the port whining sod

Ugh downloading now. I was so hyped for this and the recent posts are killing it for me. =[ I'll still play through it after I watch a movie just to avoid someone spoiling it at a later time. =\

Anung

Un Rama
And finished. What a huge disappointment. The whole story basically amounts to nothing and it was even more of a technical mess than usual which is low even by Telltale's standards. The plot had its moments and ironically the action was actually pretty great but as a conclusion goes it was rushed and went nowhere other than
"Don't forget to buy season 2"
which I won't be.

Overall this series was huge letdown.

Valkrai

I kinda liked this. Last few episodes were miles better then 1 and 2. Massive Episode 6 spoilers.

For me, I poisoned Lord Whitehill and Lady Forrestor drank as well.

I sold out Sera to try and make up with Margaery and Tom was executed instead of Mira.

I put Cotter (Potato-Fucker to me) out of his misery with the Nightshade. I also got them to march South.

My ending was that Asher barely survived, Duncan and Talia found him. Beshka with Ryon. Never saw Ironrath in flames so that may be good?

Herne

I knew they weren't going to resolve it. The story was at a point where if they were going to finish it here, I knew they'd need another episode to do it. As for my results -

Rodrik survived, just barely after going through one hell of a battle. I thought I spared Gryff, but then he appeared to die, so now I wish I had taken his head. I saw Elaena being dragged off, while Lady Forrester attacked the Whitehills lieutenant and then was killed. Beskha rode off with Ryon. I protected the "smallfolk". Duncan and Talia found Rodrik half-dead on the road.

Up north, at first I agreed with the guy's thought of moving south to save Ironrath, but when it came to it, remembering Gregor's words, I chose to save the North Grove. I gave Cotter nightshade.

In King's Landing, Mira was executed.

Apart from the battle, which was great, it was not a great episode. Episodic gaming really annoys me - having to wait a few months before the next episode and trying to remember what happened last time is bad enough, but the yearly or possibly more delays between seasons is worse. I could live with it if they released a season all in one, but no, they have to stretch it out.

Argh, for all my complaints, I love what Telltale does. I'll go back and play through it again at some point, when I have taken it all in.

ta155

Still not sure why Royland/Duncan betrays you. Especially frustrating considering that's why Forrester are in the shit at the start of episode six.

Also, Tom's 'heroics' are a load of bullshit because he didn't take the fall for killing the guard a few episodes back. I'm getting in trouble for that, so his 'sacrifice' earlier on doesn't really work.

jesu

Just finished it, enjoyed it overall

But it was mostly depressing.
Asher barely escaping.
Mother dying.
The small folk dying.
The pit fighters dying.
Lord Whitehill living
Mira headless.
Cutting out Cotters heart.
I did save the grove though I think.

This really felt like a cheap spin-off that rips on the main story beats. My ending being garbage probably didn't help but I feel the only agency I had was to choose which way I was going to get fucked.

By far Telltale's weakest offering of everything I've played (i.e. everything since TWD minus Minecraft).

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's a real shame Telltale's GoT offering hasn't resonated too well here (or anywhere). This was to be my first foray into the Telltale gig; in the past they haven't offered anything for any other franchises I consider myself a fan toward. As it stands, I have played the first two episodes, but I don't have much compulsion to scrounge together for the rest of 'em.

Literally only remember the last decision of the last episode. Season went on far too long. This will be the last time I buy a TT game before all episodes are out.

ta155

Wrapped up with Rodrick barely surviving and being found by Royland and Talia. Mira is off to get married. Gared is marching south with an army and a fucking polar bear. Quite intrigued by all the variants people have in their finales, but I wonder if they'll find a way to hit the reset button again like they did with TWD S2.

Randdalf

I'm intrigued what happpens if
you choose to kill Ludd instead of Gryff, the ending part implied that the Forresters would win the battle? Knowing Telltale, it doesn't actually make a lick of difference.

belushy

Banned
I only cared about Talia, Gared, and Mira tbh

I'll still get Season 2 because I'm a sucker for ASOIAF stuff, though.

Here was how I ended. I won't go into all my choices, though.:

Asher was found by Duncan and Talia. Gared is staying in the North Grove. As Mira I stayed friends with Sera and then agreed to wed Morgryn. (Fuck that guy, I didn't think he'd end up being bad.) I had my mother die. Didn't feel good about that but Ludd had to die.

Biggest thing I hate is how one of the choices is to go after Ludd because "it will split his army apart." Kill Ludd, and his army still takes Ironwrath. What the fuck bruh.

edit: Also, did anyone do the
Ambush option when it came to letting Ludd in for marriage to Gywn
Im interested in how that mixed things up.

Slathe

I thought the episode was okay, not great.

It's interesting there seem to be a lot of different ending scenarios.

The only thing that I really disliked was
the betrayer, Duncan, in my case, showing up at the end of the episode and talking about how we're going to get revenge. It just highlights how asinine the betrayal was in the prior episode. I guess if you kill him, he doesn't show up? Which makes me wish I'd killed him since sparing him didn't help me save Asher, at least if I killed him I'd be saved from having to look at him at the end of episode 6.

BibiMaghoo

Just finished it and, well...

my first thought is that even though Mira died in my game, those who saved her won't see her around much anyway. In the past where they have given the option to save one of two characters, I'm pretty sure both died anyway just at different points, though that may not be the case.

Asher was pretty much gutted. It would be stupid if he lived from that wound, nevermind the 'maybe I poisoned you' knife stab from Gwenn. If there is a second season, it's going to be new characters for sure. There is little left to salvage.

Also yes, I did the ambush rather than the poison. You don't really get an option when to do it, it just pushes you into declaring the choice in a window of about 10 seconds. You kill Griff and get stabbed, no one really dies inside the hall.

I enjoyed the season, but as others have said the wait between episodes kills it a bit. Previous games I just played once they were all out. I'll do the same going forward. Worth the money I paid for it (thank you humble)

foxtrot3d

Banned
Terrible series with an ending that doesn't even conclude anything. My question is are they going to follow the books in the future or the show? There doesn't seem to be much story left to tell as any more could spoil the other. In the books the Forresters should be allied with Stannis marching towards Winterfell. In the show, well I have no idea, but I assume Lord Bolton would also have them come to Winterfell to protect against Stannis or something. Why would Lord Bolton allow open civil war between two of his lesser Houses?

My choices:
-I let Rodrick live last episode since he's the Lord of the House and the one more likely to secure alliance with the rest of the Northern Houses if the chance came. Any way, we rescued Ryon, killing Gryff, but Lord Whitehill still ended up winning the battle but Ser Royland helped me escape. However, my mother was killed and future wife taken away.
-Mira married that one cunt, who is an asshole for no reason, to save her head.
-I had Gared sacrifice that one bloke using blood magic and told those bastards to protect the North Grove. Whether they follow the books or the show the North is screwed either way, no use wasting good men on that folly.

by the end I thought "that was it? I waited a long time for this?"

ending spoilers
It's game of thrones so I expected a bitter ending but I thought the ending was kinda weak. as for the choices, it's telltale so they won't matter in the end.

Seems like I enjoyed the ending more than most. Then again, I also liked the opening episode more than most. The rest? Meh.

The ending got pretty crazy at times, which I dug.

Top Bottom