• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN France: Yes, Redfall was originally planned for PS5

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You act like money hatting exclusives is a Sony only thing. :rolleyes:

Nintendo does it, Microsoft does it, Sony does it. Is it good for consumers? No, but let’s not sit here and act like only Sony is guilty. Without buying third party exclusives, the original Xbox and Xbox 360 would have been dead in the water.

Something people never recall is that it was MICROSOFT who began this Call of Duty timed exclusive DLC money hatting fuckery during the X360 era when they had the sales advantage. That timed exclusive DLC on multiplatform games bullshit didn’t exist before then, and when Sony took back the sales advantage with the PS4, Xbox fanboys lost their shit when Sony played the same game Microsoft did the generation before.

Stop acting like Sony is the only party guilty of this stuff.
Honestly this kind of user is just ignore list worthy.For all the shit I gave to adamsapple adamsapple at least he tries to argue, sure it is often in bad faith or with a blatant double standard but the discusion somehow stayed civil and he is a good member of gaf (my bed feel cold tonight if you want to join:messenger_smiling_hearts:)
But this murdok doesn't bring anything interesting other than joining a thread and instantly throwing a tantrum.
So yeah adamsapple adamsapple no hard feeling we disagree on some point but i still think you are a valuable member...Just try to be a bit more neutral sometimes just out of curiosity.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Honestly this kind of user is just ignore list worthy.For all the shit I gave to adamsapple adamsapple at least he tries to argue, sure it is often in bad faith or with a blatant double standard but the discusion somehow stayed civil and he is a good member of gaf (my bed feel cold tonight if you want to join:messenger_smiling_hearts:)
But this murdok doesn't bring anything interesting other than joining a thread and instantly throwing a tantrum.
So yeah adamsapple adamsapple no hard feeling we disagree on some point but i still think you are a valuable member...Just try to be a bit more neutral sometimes just out of curiosity.

No hard feelings, we're all just discussing about games and shit here. It stops the moment the tab closes for me.

Nintendo does it, Microsoft does it, Sony does it. Is it good for consumers? No, but let’s not sit here and act like only Sony is guilty. Without buying third party exclusives, the original Xbox and Xbox 360 would have been dead in the water.

Something people never recall is that it was MICROSOFT who began this Call of Duty timed exclusive DLC money hatting fuckery during the X360 era when they had the sales advantage. That timed exclusive DLC on multiplatform games bullshit didn’t exist before then, and when Sony took back the sales advantage with the PS4, Xbox fanboys lost their shit when Sony played the same game Microsoft did the generation before.

Thank you. I've been telling people this very same thing for months. But for some reason, xbox fans seem to have amnesia about what went on during the xbox360/PS3 era.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Hilarious. So I guess this thread originated out of the fact that REDFALL previews have in fact dropped, and are pretty glowing with previewers saying ARKANE's DNA is in this game through and through. . .and a "Sky is blue" thread about exclusivity is the takeaway.

Damn.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
No hard feelings, we're all just discussing about games and shit here. It stops the moment the tab closes for me.
Damn I should close some tabs one day, I wondered why my 1TB of ram was full...But yeah that's the problem with passions sometimes they clash, we just need to be able to not stay in that mood...It not like you were a light mode user or some that put on socks and sandals , something that just disgusts me to my core...(to tthe mod that gave me a warning for the light mode last time it is still a joke don't wory)

Banned
You Dont Say Nicholas Cage GIF

ToTTenTranz

Banned
If you think this will stop the acquisition then i have a bridge to selll you

Microsoft's practice of buying entire publishers to then foreclose Playstation has been mentioned by both the CMA and the FTC.
It also happens to be illegal in the markets those regulators operate.

Defz5W8.png

People should know that these statements from developers coming out to the public are probably going to matter a lot more to regulators than all of Phil Spencer's circus, fluff piece interviews and made-up awards combined.

So what?
It's not coming to PS, just like Starfield, TES, the next Wolfenstien, the next Doom, the next Quake etc etc.
Get over it.
Trying to convince yourself that Phil said something that might be contradictory isn't going to make these games get on the PS. It won't have any effect on the decisions of the regulators about ABK. It won't stop Phil Spencer from getting more awards from his industry peers.

scydrex

Exactly MS did COD back then. Did it with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Did it with The Ascent and some other games too. Some people here want us to think that timed exclusive is bad but buying an entire developer is not. At least that what i have understand with some posts here. I prefer timed exclusive than MS or Sony buying an entire AAA developer and making all the games exclusives for their platform. Also it's a lot worse when you lie about it saying you will not do that and doing it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Exactly MS did COD back then. Did it with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Did it with The Ascent and some other games too. Some people here want us to think that timed exclusive is bad but buying an entire developer is not. At least that what i have understand with some posts here. I prefer timed exclusive than MS or Sony buying an entire AAA developer and making all the games exclusives for their platform. Also it's a lot worse when you lie about it saying you will not do that and doing it.

Exclusivity sucks. But it's the nature of the game. We have learnt that. It's not changing. Cut through the PR bullshit and everyone is doing it...just got to accept it. It's not going to change.

It's shit, but it's the way it is. Buy every console and play what you want.

Or, just buy an awesome PC and a switch.

...and a steam deck.

Last edited:
I'd love to live in a world where everyone put their software on each other's respective machines, but I'd also love to live in a world where our government gave a damn about us, and we weren't on the precipice of WW3. Unfortunately we can't always get what we want.

Good God I'd love to play Tears of the Kingdom on something other than the Switch.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm sure all these posts share as much energy for that stellar blade game right?

I've heard you sony peeps bring that game up.....like all the time...the outrage you have for it being announced for xbox then taken away by Sony....so much outrage from you all.....

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Last edited:

scydrex

Exclusivity sucks. But it's the nature of the game. We have learnt that. It's not changing. Cut through the PR bullshit and everyone is doing it...just got to accept it. It's not going to change.

It's shit, but it's the way it is. Buy every console and play what you want.

Or, just buy an awesome PC and a switch.

...and a steam deck.
I agree. I have no problem with MS making the Zenimax or Bethesda games exclusive to Xbox. They brought it and paid for it. The thing is don't lie about it and be honest. I like Fallout and Elder Scroll. I like Doom and other games for example. Will i play Starfield? No. Why? Don't want a Xbox and will not buy an Xbox. Do i have a PC? No. PC in my country is more expensive. The hardware here is 30% more expensive than in the USA. Would i play Starfield if it were multiplatform? Of course but MS paid with their money and lying in the process but they can. The only thing i can say is... Xbox fans or Xbox owners enjoy Starfield and the other games planned from Bethesda, ID and etc. The only way i would play them is someday building a medium pc or budget pc in the future.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I agree. I have no problem with MS making the Zenimax or Bethesda games exclusive to Xbox. They brought it and paid for it. The thing is don't lie about it and be honest. I like Fallout and Elder Scroll. I like Doom and other games for example. Will i play Starfield? No. Why? Don't want a Xbox and will not buy an Xbox. Do i have a PC? No. PC in my country is more expensive. The hardware here is 30% more expensive than in the USA. Would i play Starfield if it were multiplatform? Of course but MS paid with their money and lying in the process but they can. The only thing i can say is... Xbox fans or Xbox owners enjoy Starfield and the other games planned from Bethesda, ID and etc. The only way i would play them is someday builing a medium pc or budget pc in the future.

Yup, this genuinely sucks and why exclusivity sucks. I feel for you. Hopefully one day you get a good PC to play it. It sucks, but it's the nature of it now.

If an xbox owner wanted to play spider man they had to buy a ps4....or now a pc...just the way it is. Zenimax wanted to be bought just like publishers want to sign exclusivity deals. The higher ups at Bethesda and Zenimax wanted to be bought by Microsoft and here we are. If they didn't want to be bought they wouldn't have been.

It is what it is.

quest

Not Banned from OT

I love using decade plus old examples and a small indy game. Were is the large studio money hats by Microsoft? You like timed exclusives because it favors your plastic box of choice. They are to expensive to make sense for Microsoft but Sony gets them cheap so are all in on them. To many people are bitter over losing their first major studio games in near a decade.

Neolombax

This only became an issue because Phil tries very hard to appear as gaming's biggest saint, but hes just another suit, which should not surprise anyone really.

On the topic of Redfall, I'm still not seeing how this game is any better than say Far Cry. Given they havent shown the whole breadth of what the game offers, some endgame footage and preview would be nice, just to see the potential of this game.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Microsoft's practice of buying entire publishers to then foreclose Playstation has been mentioned by both the CMA and the FTC.
It also happens to be illegal in the markets those regulators operate.

Defz5W8.png
1. gaming isn’t an essential good or service. So that example is out the door.

2. Xbox didn’t remove any good from PlayStation. PlayStation must have a product first before its removed. Ceasing development of certain software on platforms isn’t the same. You know this. If Xbox removed deathloop, Ghostwire, or minecraft that would be illegal (guess what, they haven’t done that)

3. Xbox and Sony are in the entertainment industry. The term supplier isn’t cut and dry. Sony and Xbox act as manufacturers, suppliers and vendors. Bethesda and ABK act as manufacturers supplier and vendors.

Tired of Gaf thinking they are lawyers and they caught Microsoft red handed before anyone else.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
1. gaming isn’t an essential good or service. So that example is out the door.
Supply of 3rd party games is obviously an essential good or service to that particular market and competitor.

Not gonna a lie, the fact that you thought antitrust laws can only ever apply to food, utilities and medical care is pretty hilarious.

2. Xbox didn’t remove any good from PlayStation. PlayStation must have a product first before its removed. Ceasing development of certain software on platforms isn’t the same.
The good is games output from the development teams owned by the publisher.
The claims from FTC and CMA (and likely EC down the road) have been pretty clear about this.

3. Xbox and Sony are in the entertainment industry. The term supplier isn’t cut and dry. Sony and Xbox act as manufacturers, suppliers and vendors. Bethesda and ABK act as manufacturers supplier and vendors.

Looks like even you slipped and ended up describing Bethesda and Zenimax as suppliers in a pretty cut and dry manner.

Tired of Gaf thinking they are lawyers and they caught Microsoft red handed before anyone else.

If by "before anyone else" you actually mean "after reading the statements from major regulators that have been out there for months" then yes, suit yourself.

It's like some people live in this delusional alternate reality where regulators haven't sued Microsoft or suggested divesting Activision from the deal because it's considered anti-competitive, and all that matters is the opinion of youtubers playing at corporate law and Michael Pachter while his firm is on Microsoft's payroll.

I agree. I have no problem with MS making the Zenimax or Bethesda games exclusive to Xbox. They brought it and paid for it. The thing is don't lie about it and be honest. I like Fallout and Elder Scroll. I like Doom and other games for example. Will i play Starfield? No. Why? Don't want a Xbox and will not buy an Xbox. Do i have a PC? No. PC in my country is more expensive. The hardware here is 30% more expensive than in the USA. Would i play Starfield if it were multiplatform? Of course but MS paid with their money and lying in the process but they can. The only thing i can say is... Xbox fans or Xbox owners enjoy Starfield and the other games planned from Bethesda, ID and etc. The only way i would play them is someday building a medium pc or budget pc in the future.

Just buy an Xbox and be happy mun even if it's just for one game .
All the main major console corps have done it over the years. SONY Or Microsoft are no worse or better than each other.

Gobjuduck

Banned
lmao the irony of confidently dismissing an argument with incorrect justifications 🤣
The primary example in the text doesn’t apply to this case is all I was pointing out.
Not gonna a lie, the fact that you thought antitrust laws can only ever apply to food, utilities and medical care is pretty hilarious.
Never said that or implied that clown.

Last edited:
Can't blame MS. They payed a pretty penny for Bethesda. Why wouldn't they push their own platform over another?

You would expect Sony to do the same if they bought Bethesda.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Can't blame MS. They payed a pretty penny for Bethesda. Why wouldn't they push their own platform over another?

You would expect Sony to do the same if they bought Bethesda.
Xbox’s unclear messaging and hopeful thinkers made clueless people believe PlayStation would still get future Bethesda games.

It’s a legal tactic to hide your cards as much as you can before a deal closes. Xbox is doing as much hiding as it can, while addressing regulators concerns.

At the end of the day, Xbox/Microsoft never promised new Bethesda games to release on other platforms. Their only promise was for platforms with gamepass.

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
Xbox’s unclear messaging and hopeful thinkers made clueless people believe PlayStation would still get future Bethesda games.

It’s a legal tactic to hide your cards as much as you can before a deal closes. Xbox is doing as much hiding as it can, while addressing regulators concerns.

At the end of the day, Xbox/Microsoft never promised new Bethesda games to release on other platforms. Their only promise was for platforms with gamepass.

The message is very clear. Bethesda is case by case basis, ActiBliz is a whole set of difference access remedies in the form of contract. It's not rocket science.
It genuinely boggles my mind how people cannot understand that the incentive to keep CoD multiplatform is not the same as the incentive to have single player experiences exclusive to Xbox and PC.

If Bethesda pitches an online experience that requires a larger continuous player base with MTX, you can bet your ass that it will come to PlayStation as well.

Last edited:
This only became an issue because Phil tries very hard to appear as gaming's biggest saint, but hes just another suit, which should not surprise anyone really.
It's only an issue because PlayStation fans can't take having their own medicine. I remember when MediEvil started life as a Saturn title I doubt any PS fan cared about that or how that FF7 started life out as an N64 title or really cared when SONY bought the rights to Tomb Raider. There are so many titles that started development life on other systems before being moved to another system on the back of a studio buyout or a nice big fat pay cheque

What goes around, comes around.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Hopefully the CMA and FTC read this article as it directly proves the point that Microsoft is buying companies with the express purpose to remove access from other platforms. At this point only fools and fanboys believe Microsoft's claims that they have no intention of turning ABK properties into exclusives. You don't spend nearly 70 billion to acquire a company just to maintain the status quo.

Microsoft has a very long history of saying one thing and then doing something else. It's the same kind of behavior that got them in trouble during the Windows/Internet Explore late 90's era.
This is so insane. All of these decisions are based on a case by case basis. Does Redfall sell 10s of millions of copies every year on Playstation? No. then shut the fuck up with comparing orange seeds to a fucking company that owns dozens of apple orchards.

Neolombax

It's only an issue because PlayStation fans can't take having their own medicine. I remember when MediEvil started life as a Saturn title I doubt any PS fan cared about that or how that FF7 started life out as an N64 title or really cared when SONY bought the rights to Tomb Raider. There are so many titles that started development life on other systems before being moved to another system on the back of a studio buyout or a nice big fat pay cheque

What goes around, comes around.
No it really isnt about the exclusivity. When MS bought Bethesda, everyone knew this was going to happen sooner or later. Why else would you acquire companies other than to gain a competitive edge? The issue is when MS is caught saying something else, while doing the exact opposite.

cireza

For any publisher that buys a studio or another publisher, we would all instantly agree that of course the games will now be exclusive.

But for some reason, for Microsoft, it has to be different. Nobody knows why though.

Last edited:
Microsoft owns Bethesda now so they cancelled it for Playstation. This would only be an issue if Phil told Sony after the acquisition that they can have it and then later made it exclusive or like Deathloop or Ghostwire Tokyo had a prior contract in place. You honestly think Final Fantasy 16 didn't have an Xbox version planned.

Rykan

No, it doesn't.

93Ni5AS.jpg
This quote leaves out a key component. Here is the full quote:

"I don't want to be flip about that. This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that," Spencer said. "Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I'll also say in the model—I'm just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don't have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means."

Foilz

Banned
Why does it matter? Bethesda games were always meant to be exclusive games. Phil said that multiple times.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lol the list of shady dealings you could make for Sony would be way too long to post yet you guys want to put a microscope on this? 😂

scydrex

I love using decade plus old examples and a small indy game. Were is the large studio money hats by Microsoft? You like timed exclusives because it favors your plastic box of choice. They are to expensive to make sense for Microsoft but Sony gets them cheap so are all in on them. To many people are bitter over losing their first major studio games in near a decade.
I said i prefer timed exclusive than Sony or MS buying an entire AAA dev. I didn't say i like it. I don't care about timed excluse. I just want to play games on what i have or prefer and don't care if the rival console have the game too. Why should i? What do i gain from that? Because you think im a Sony fan because i prefer PS? Then let me you something... When someone ask me which console between Xbox or Playstation to get i always have said eveb back from the 360 days... get the one which you like more. Where are the games you like? What games interest you more? Read and look what games each one offer to make your decision. I don't say get a playstation because i think is better or that is the console i prefer. Even a coworker recently ask me that question and that's what i sais to him. So go to another place with your fanboysm excuse or acusing someone of being a fanboy.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
When Redfall becomes available on all Xcloud compatible devices, obviously more people will be able to play the game VS a release on PS/Xbox/PC only. This is what Spencer was explaining in this interview.
No, it won't.
  • xCloud is tied to Game Pass, so as of now, a maximum of 25 million Game Pass subscribers can now play the game via xCloud. (even after assuming there is 0 overlap between current xCloud users and XBS users, which is not true).
  • There are 32 million PS5 users, which would be near 40 million by the time Redfall releases.
So, no. By making it exclusive, Microsoft has reduced the net Redfall gamers by at least 10+ million.

Top Bottom