• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart PS5 Performance Review

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
NXGamer said it was native 1440p in the RT Performance mode and no drops in native resolution from what he saw but DRS is enabled. With Fidelity mode, he said what he saw was native 4K and didn't notice any drops either even though DRS is enabled.

DF said in their review that for the Fidelity mode, it was mostly native 4K with drops to 1800p at the most action packed scene (DRS is enabled up to 60% of 4K resolution) but the common resolution is native 4k.

If this is true, rt with 1440 at 60fps, this is great, probably will be my mode of choice.

GHG

Gold Member
Stop comparing games to pixar. It's embarrassing

All your posts today:

Im Fine GIF by MOODMAN

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
That's a negative chief. After 60fps Demons on PS5 I can't go back to last gen 30fps. Let's reside that to history and move forward, interactivity is the core of games and frame rate improves it.
You're not in the majority. After seeing how beautiful NYC looked in Miles I couldn't even touch the game in dry ass performance mode.

Top notch visuals enhance atmosphere and immersion more than any other aspect in a game. Especially single player games

GHG

Gold Member
i have a ps5 and i bought the game. maybe you should take a look at yourself in the mirror. you may be projecting here. is everyhing ok at home?

I was about to ask you the same thing since CDPR seem to have let you down... but since you asked, yes, everything is splendid. I'm about to hop on to some races on Automobilista 2, how about yourself?

I love the trump card by the way, all the best trolls on this forum also have PS5's and this game preordered.

Chrissy Teigen A Legendary Christmas GIF by NBC

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Theres a reason we have countless "Best graphics this gen?" threads. That cause endless arguments.

And literally ... NOT ONE

"GaMe WiTh BeSt FrAmErAtE?" thread:messenger_grinning_squinting: :messenger_loudly_crying:

nNo one cares about that shit. It's only internet nerds. Im sorry but its true
Because graphics matter more. They are more important than framerate. Actual Artistry goes into having exceptional graphics.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
I was about to ask you the same thing since CDPR seem to have let you down... but since you asked, yes, everything is splendid. I'm about to hop on to some races on Automobilista 2, how about yourself?

I love the trump card by the way, all the best trolls on this forum also have PS5's and this game preordered.

what trump card? i don't even know what you are talking about. i'm not even from the USA. you may be going insane.

now stop derailing the thread and if you envy my successful life let me know by PM next time.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
what trump card? i don't even know what you are talking about. i'm not even from the USA. you may be going insane.

now stop derailing the thread and if you envy my successful life let me know by PM next time.

Sorry darling but I think it's best we keep our love affair public.

But yes, on with the thread. I think people need to talk more about the pixar graphics on display in this game:

tenor.gif

Neo Blaster

Has anyone talked about how many playthroughs are necessary to platinum the game? If it's at least two, then I'll go first in fidelity mode then performance rt. Problem is to choose between both if it's just one playthrough.

Eagerly wanting to know how much image quality and density we loose by choosing performance rt.

HAL-01

A lot of reviews actually make the comparison.

Complain to them.
Every single pedant on this site loves to point out that it’s not actually “Pixar quality”

To them:
Everyone here knows that offline CG is orders of magnitude more computationally expensive than real time graphics. You’re not enlightened.
What matters to anyone not hung up on the tech, is the perceptual similarity between the game and cg movies

Imagine an audiophile that’s constantly whining that people can’t tell the difference between lossless and MP3s. That’s you

dcmk7

Banned
Every single pedant on this site loves to point out that it’s not actually “Pixar quality”

To them:
Everyone here knows that offline CG is orders of magnitude more computationally expensive than real time graphics. You’re not enlightened.
What matters to anyone not hung up on the tech, is the perceptual similarity between the game and cg movies

Imagine an audiophile that’s constantly whining that people can’t tell the difference between lossless and MP3s. That’s you
Reviewers are making the comparison.

The fact that the comparison triggers so many people says more about them. It's a forum full of differing opinions after all, no need for anyone to be upset about it.

Thief1987

Has anyone talked about how many playthroughs are necessary to platinum the game? If it's at least two, then I'll go first in fidelity mode then performance rt. Problem is to choose between both if it's just one playthrough.

Eagerly wanting to know how much image quality and density we loose by choosing performance rt.
Unlike previous game you can get platinum in a single playthrough.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Looks incredible. Congratulations Insomniac.

Another great video by NXGamer NXGamer . I’m curious, do IGN give you any direction in terms of production? Clearly, there are some small differences to stuff on your own channel but I wonder how much they try to curate your content to fit their desired image and audience?

Lethal01

My only issue is I wish they lowered the resolution of the fidelity mode and instead pushed the graphics further.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I always wondered why people buy things they claim to not really enjoy, or at least pretend not to.

Odd phenomenon. More money than sense.

mortal

Gold Member
Stop comparing games to pixar. It's embarrassing
The fact that the sentiment is shared by so many that have seen & played R&C: Rift Apart is indicative that gaming has crossed that threshold of near off-line render quality visuals in realtime.
This is just year one. By the tail end of this console gen (PS5/XB Series) we will have certain titles that look like straight up CGI.

Remember when we doubted the power of the PS5?
Its people who dont understand engineering that doubted it, they kept yapping ssd is as old tech on pc i have it in my pc too,,, quaaaack quaack quaack, its alwasys neogaf engineers who doubted the ps5 and we havent seen nothing yet. Some idiots compared the level switching on ratchet as the medium and titanfall.. some stupidity always amazes me.

My only issue is I wish they lowered the resolution of the fidelity mode and instead pushed the graphics further.
Its the first game this gen they would probably have better reconstruction techniques down the line and get accustomed to the hardware to make upscaled 1080p to 4k better looking games

To them:

Forgive them they dont understand art and production. They think everything should use infinite polygons and infinite rays to be pixar, theyve never worked with graphics.

I would like to know though - why is it Sony first party seems to be in another class artistically than anyone else? Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerilla - they all seem to make the right technical decisions to get the best visuals out of the hardware every time whereas I don’t feel it’s the same with a company like let’s say The Coalition with Gears of War or 343 - theres just a step up in production value it seems

bargeparty

I would like to know though - why is it Sony first party seems to be in another class artistically than anyone else? Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerilla - they all seem to make the right technical decisions to get the best visuals out of the hardware every time whereas I don’t feel it’s the same with a company like let’s say The Coalition with Gears of War or 343 - theres just a step up in production value it seems

I think you already know the answer to this.

DeaDPo0L84

Talent.

Shmunter

I agree that comparisons to Pixar are warranted, but within context.

Pixar is essentially a feature length pre-rendered cutscene with unlimited rendering resources for each frame. It’s a video.

Yet we have real-time rendering on a consumer system that invokes a Pixar like experience. I know which is actually the genuinely astronomical achievement here.

It’s no different to seeing pre-rendered in game cinematic’s - absolutely no kudos for that.

THEAP99

Banned
Currently playing spider-man remastered in the fidelity mode and I honestly am not gonna have any problem playing the fidelity mode on ratchet. the drop to 1440p is very noticeable to me in performance rt mode.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
343 i get, but gears 4 and 5 were two of the best looking games last generation. Coalition has some technical wizards working for them

fatmarco

I think if you look at 343, they were up their when Halo 5 came out artistically and graphically, just you have to consider the game they were making in addition to the fact they had a 60 fps target and not a 30 fps one. The game had incredible human faces, detail and lighting etc. Halo fans not liking said art didn't mean it was bad per se, just out of place for a Halo game.

Now as for what's happened to 343 in the interim when looking at Infinite, who the fuck knows. They must have lost all their engineers.

Back on topic, I don't have a PS5 currently but would anyone recommend Ratchet and Clank PS4? I never really got far into that game. Is it worth finishing?

DiscoDave

that’s not the performance rt mode, that’s just the regular performance mode
My bad then seemed it was quoted like it was. Dont want to be spoiling the game looking at to many videos, has anyone commented on the RT performance and any cuts apart from the resolution?

Top Bottom