• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart PS5 Performance Review

kyliethicc

My bad then seemed it was quoted like it was. Dont want to be spoiling the game looking at to many videos, has anyone commented on the RT performance and any cuts apart from the resolution?
Yongyea did some comparison shots and said he couldn’t spot any noticeable differences, DF is working on a video about it that may come tomorrow

Here's all 3 modes to compare.

Guess which is which.

PJVyBKj.jpg

HAL-01

Guess which is which.

PJVyBKj.jpg
I honestly thought you were joking and this was just the same picture

I do spot a difference in the rt on the ship’s window. First one is fidelity, second performance rt, last is performance ( cube map)
I’m curious what’s making both rt modes look different, there’s no reason why they would reduce the brightness of the sky in the bvh, perhaps it’s a different shader on the window

Kangx

I do spot a difference in the rt on the ship’s window. First one is fidelity, second performance rt, last is performance ( cube map)
I’m curious what’s making both rt modes look different, there’s no reason why they would reduce the brightness of the sky in the bvh, perhaps it’s a different shader on the window
So, Performance RT does scale back on lightning. Look at Rivet Goggles in the second pic. I have seen yongjie side by side comparison, no major differences except for resolution. I guess we have to wait for DF comparison.

Hunnybun

Default is 30FPS fidelity mode. Like every game. Its also what they use to sell the game in trailers, State of Play, etc... Because it looks better. Way better. Most will play it like that. Its only on the internet where framerate is seen as more important than graphics. No where else. Most people dont give a shit about framerate. Graphics win all day.

Its a fact. Thats why they use the fidelity mode to sell the game. Trailers, state of play, all screenshots... Its all fidelity mode. Graphics are factually more important than framerate for most gamers.

Ray Tracing is what was used to hype up next gen. Not framerate.

You have literally zero idea whether any of that is true.

I'd tend to agree that most casual gamers will play fidelity mode, but only cos that's the default.

If they were actually given an unbiased choice between the modes, with a demo of each, I'm sure the vast majority would choose frame rate, because it looks SO much better. The difference is immediately obvious. The idea that the benefit is just for tech geeks is laughable: exactly the reverse is true. It's 4k (and even to some extent RT) that requires obsessive preoccupation with TINY differences in clarity, the sort where you have to pause the game and examine the screen up close etc.

And yeah, I find it fucking baffling that companies continue to market the 30fps versions in their pre-release media. Especially because they're on shitty Youtube videos that can't display the clarity even if they were watched in 4k - which they almost never are. They'd be way better off showing 60fps, which does at least come through well on compressed videos. Just because Sony continues to do it doesn't mean they're right.

kyliethicc

Guessing but
Performance RT
Quality
Performance

Edit: Oops Quality on top then Perf RT 2nd

Yup. Top is 30, 60 is bottom. 60 RT is middle.

30 mode is basically native 4K + RT.
60 mode is around 1800p but not RT.
60 RT mode is around 1440p + RT.
All 3 modes are then upscaled to 4K.

Inspecting the pics closely, we can see differences. But the 60+RT mode is pretty similar to the 30+RT, so everyone wins. And they will all look pretty similar in motion when playing.

Last edited:

Kangx

She is in slightly different position comparing to 1st and 3rd screenshot, maybe googles just doesn't catching light there.

Maybe, but the performance RT mode did mention scale back on advance lighting. I figure this would be the case. And if you want to do frame to frame comparison for different graphic modes, then why would you move Rivet at all, but it seem Rivet did moves. What the heck.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
what trump card? i don't even know what you are talking about. i'm not even from the USA. you may be going insane.

now stop derailing the thread and if you envy my successful life let me know by PM next time.

Trump card isn't about Donald Trump though:

noun

1. (in bridge, whist, and similar card games) a playing card of the suit chosen to rank above the others, which can win a trick where a card of a different suit has been led.
    "declarer ruffs the opening lead and plays a trump"

verb

(in bridge, whist, and similar card games) play a trump on (a card of another suit).
    "why on earth did you trump my ace?"
    1. 2.
      surpass (something) by saying or doing something better.
      "taste trumps most if not all other factors when consumers choose food products"

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I actually don’t. It’s confusing to me

Sony as a corporation with insane experience, holding one of the biggest movie/series publishers (Sony Pictures) and one of the best VFX makers that assist outside studios as well like Disney (+Marvel), WB and others (Sony Pictures Imageworks). Also they are the biggest in imaging technology (alpha, CineAlta, imaging sensors). Sony Music as well is one of the biggest in their sector. They make some of the best sound systems and technologies, they have the most accurate colored and best upscaling and processing systems in TV's, they have reference monitors that cost beyond $30K.

Above all of that, Sony gives time, generous money and support to the studios to flourish. You can see Sumo studio with Crackdown 3 and Sackboy, same studio but different outcomes. Also They have dedicated studio for mocaps and other necessary tech for all first party games and first party studios to share.

As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Last edited:

DiscoDave

Guess which is which.

PJVyBKj.jpg
Sorry I can't, as i can't zoom 400%. Also the other pictures that was just performance mode, that I thought was quoted performance RT, is a big difference. Not saying it looks like shit by any means just there is a noticeable difference that probably tells you how good the RT quality mode is.

Last edited:
Back on topic, I don't have a PS5 currently but would anyone recommend Ratchet and Clank PS4? I never really got far into that game. Is it worth finishing

It's not one of the best Ratchet games but I did enjoy my time with it. The movie tie in does seem odd in places but it's still fun to play. I got the platinum BTW and it's not a difficult one to get.

3liteDragon

Yup. Top is 30, 60 is bottom. 60 RT is middle.

30 mode is basically native 4K + RT.
60 mode is around 1800p but not RT.
60 RT mode is around 1440p + RT.
All 3 modes are then upscaled to 4K.

Inspecting the pics closely, we can see differences. But the 60+RT mode is pretty similar to the 30+RT, so everyone wins. And they will all look pretty similar in motion when playing.
Anyone know what resolution the reflections are in performance RT mode?

kyliethicc

Sorry I can't, as i can't zoom 400%. Also the other pictures that was just performance mode, that I thought was quoted performance RT, is a big difference. Not saying it looks like shit by any means just there is a noticeable difference that probably tells you how good the RT quality mode is.
The top pic is 30 + RT. The middle is 60 + RT. Bottom pic is 60.

Anyone know what resolution the reflections are in performance RT mode?
Nah, but DF are doing an entire second video on the 60 RT mode. They'll probably just have Alex do his usual 800% zooms and say its all shit compared to Minecraft RTX, lol.. but we'll see. NX Gamer may do a follow up vid later on too, idk.

There's definitely a difference between the reflections in the top two pics. I'm not sure what it is but they don't look the same to me.
It could be the lighting perspective is slightly different. You can see on picture 2 that the glasses and ship reflect less light. They do have the same ray traced reflections otherwise it seems.

Sony as a corporation with insane experience, holding one of the biggest movie/series publishers (Sony Pictures) and one of the best VFX makers that assist outside studios as well like Disney (+Marvel), WB and others (Sony Pictures Imageworks). Also they are the biggest in imaging technology (alpha, CineAlta, imaging sensors). Sony Music as well is one of the biggest in their sector. They make some of the best sound systems and technologies, they have the most accurate colored and best upscaling and processing systems in TV's, they have reference monitors that cost beyond $30K.

Above all of that, Sony gives time, generous money and support to the studios to flourish. You can see Sumo studio with Crackdown 3 and Sackboy, same studio but different outcomes. Also They have dedicated studio for mocaps and other necessary tech for all first party games and first party studios to share.

As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Ah thank you - this makes sense

Trump card isn't about Donald Trump though:

noun

1. (in bridge, whist, and similar card games) a playing card of the suit chosen to rank above the others, which can win a trick where a card of a different suit has been led.
    "declarer ruffs the opening lead and plays a trump"

verb

(in bridge, whist, and similar card games) play a trump on (a card of another suit).
    "why on earth did you trump my ace?"
    1. 2.
      surpass (something) by saying or doing something better.
      "taste trumps most if not all other factors when consumers choose food products"
Don't deny reality, he meant the Trump tower.

Last edited:
I think I am actually going to play in fidelity mode for this one. My GF wants to see me play through the game since she likes the platformer genre (I know the series isn't all that much of a platformer but for her there isn't really any difference) and she thinks it looks amazing, like, she believes this is the first game that genuinely looks like CGI. Since she absolutely doesn't care about 60 fps and since I personally am fine with a stable 30 fps with great motion blur, I'll let her watch with the best IQ possible for this grand spectacle :D

Thief1987

This comparison is also far from ideal, but here you can see some compromises, like reduced air traffic in second scene in RTperf mode, or reduced particles on 4.15 in both perf modes

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
It looks spectacular. The kind of quality visuals ONLY made possible by Sony first party and ONLY by the power of PS5. It shits all over every PC game including that lame marbles RTX demo. In fact, Pixar could probably just pack in their rendering farms and use this engine instead.

It looks spectacular. The kind of quality visuals ONLY made possible by Sony first party and ONLY by the power of PS5. It shits all over every PC game including that lame marbles RTX demo. In fact, Pixar could probably just pack in their rendering farms and use this engine instead.
A decent showcase of PS5's power!

So which is it?

Edit:

tenor.gif

Look what that got you.

Last edited:

Kangx

Finally, he go full retard. Never go full retard man. Mod, this the quote from tropic thunder. So he was being passive aggressive, but that did not get him ban. I guess he has enough and post this. What a troll.

DiscoDave

turned out it was comparison to perf mode without rt, perf rt is same as fidelity just lower resolution (tough insomniac has very good upscaling method)
Yea was a pretty big hit without the RT, obviously just from the pics I had seen as some scenes may look less noticeable where RT isn't used as heavily. I've seen my son play spiderman in perf RT and it looks great and really cant see why anyone wouldn't play it in perf RT if the method is good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom