• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGNxGamer] Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart PS5 Performance Review

Unknown?

Sony as a corporation with insane experience, holding one of the biggest movie/series publishers (Sony Pictures) and one of the best VFX makers that assist outside studios as well like Disney (+Marvel), WB and others (Sony Pictures Imageworks). Also they are the biggest in imaging technology (alpha, CineAlta, imaging sensors). Sony Music as well is one of the biggest in their sector. They make some of the best sound systems and technologies, they have the most accurate colored and best upscaling and processing systems in TV's, they have reference monitors that cost beyond $30K.

Above all of that, Sony gives time, generous money and support to the studios to flourish. You can see Sumo studio with Crackdown 3 and Sackboy, same studio but different outcomes. Also They have dedicated studio for mocaps and other necessary tech for all first party games and first party studios to share.

As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.
yVDyMln.gif

29m 05s
uses the yellow rift that moves you acouple feet’s forward. Literally the same mechanic gaming have had for years (burst speed dash) and he basically says “praise be to the wonderful ssd”

smh. It won’t end will it....

Last edited:

NeroDaGod

Gold Member

29m 05s
uses the yellow rift that moves you acouple feet’s forward. Literally the same mechanic gaming we have had for years (burst speed dash) and he basically says “praise be to the wonderful ssd”

How the is that anything like a speed dash?!

Last edited:

FranXico

29m 05s
uses the yellow rift that moves you acouple feet’s forward. Literally the same mechanic gaming have had for years (burst speed dash) and he basically says “praise be to the wonderful ssd”

He's probably impressed by the purple rifts that really use fast data streaming.

vkbest

Im surprised they got this game averaging 1440p at 60fps with RT. The reflections on RT Performance looks even better than Spiderman in Fidelity mode. Also is surprising, that performance mode is averaging less resolution than Fidelity mode, I expected when they announced RT on PS5, that RT would cost 2x-3x performance.

Last edited:

Shmunter

29m 05s

I find the seamless cutscene into gameplay and vice versa to be hugely impressive.

Those cutscene quality assets pushed in and out of ram for those cinematic closeups without a blip.

dr guildo

I find the seamless cutscene into gameplay and vice versa to be hugely impressive.

Those cutscene quality assets pushed in and out of ram for those cinematic closeups without a blip.
It is because Cutscene assets and gameplay ones are identical.

Last edited:
He's probably impressed by the purple rifts that really use fast data streaming.
No he was referring to the yellow rift. This is his first play through and he is literally 29 mins into the game.

Litterally anything in game will be credited to a super fast ssd.

look my character just ducked. “Thank god I had that ssd I would be dead without it.”

it’s ridiculous.

Shmunter

Cutscene assets and gameplay ones are identical, tho.
Unlikely to be perpetually reserving ram for such high quality assets. Cutscenes generally look so good because they dedicate large amounts of memory and rendering budgets for the cinematic. In game the smaller character and game world can be reduced for the rendering budget.

This is precisely the trick here…it’s all seamless providing the illusion. I bet assets are even swapped in when you zoom in on them, all the lod’s no longer need to lie dormant just incase you may need to render them.

Last edited:

dr guildo

Unlikely to be perpetually reserving ram for such high quality assets. Cutscenes generally look so good because they dedicate large amounts of memory and rendering budgets for the cinematic. In game the smaller character and game world can be reduced for the rendering.

This is precisely the trick here…it’s all seamless providing the illusion. I bet assets are even swapped in when you zoom in on them, all the loads no longer need to lie dormant just incase you may need to render the.
The technical director at Insomniac posted this on the DF thread on Era :
The assets used in cinematics are the same ones used in gameplay. Every asset is chains of levels-of-detail: models have LoDs, textures have mips, and even many materials get more and less complex as you get closer to or further from them. If you construct the LoDs optimally, the transitions happen at just the right camera distance to be invisible yet gain rendering efficiency. You wouldn't use the highest LoD when the main character is at your standard gameplay distance, because that would be a huge waste—you'd be spending frame time on tris and texels that you don't have screen pixels to display. So yes, if the camera is up close, you will see something "better" than if the character is far away, but that's because of the number of screen pixels you have to render them onto, not the fact that we're making some choice about how detailed to be in cinematics, gameplay, or photo mode.

If you need some other evidence for this, you can note that we rarely have hard cuts out of cinematics and into gameplay -- we try to blend between them and blur that line as much as we can. If we were swapping out assets, that would fall apart. (That's also why the frequent suggestion to run cinematics at 30fps and gameplay at 60fps would never work for our games.)

If anything, the primary quality differences in cinematics come from per-shot lighting rigs and complex facial animation, which don't apply to gameplay.

The logic behind forcing Fidelity settings in photo mode is mostly about encouraging people to enjoy the Performance modes. We anticipated a lot of "I don't want to play in 60fps because I want to have 4k photos with ray-traced reflections" (especially before the Performance RT mode came out), so it was nice to free people up from needing to make that choice. 60fps is not really worth it in photo mode, anyway. (There's some nuance here -- we can increase resolution and turn on ray-tracing when you enter photo mode, but we can't re-introduce VFX/lighting/scene density without reloading. So it's kinda somewhere between Fidelity and Performance.)

I think in the PS4 Spider-Man games we do a slight distance bias on the suit LoD in photo mode, but on PS5 it doesn't make a difference.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
What a silly post. Of course he got ban. My post explained the reason why he got ban. That's right, he have been trolling ratchet thread all day. Don't die on this hill. FYI, I can sleep safely whether he is ban or not. Now, go troll somewhere else.

Which of the many PS5 and Ratchet haters got the boot this time? There's so many bitter ones :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Shmunter

The technical director at Insomniac posted this on the DF thread on Era :

He says what I addressed regarding LOD depending on how close you are to the character for the rendering budget. I’m not sure what he means regarding swapping assets, LOD levels are essentially assets. Maybe they have something completely new going on here, e.g the mesh shaders or geometry engine allowing LOD 0 to scale down at runtime saving ram.

traditionally 4 LODS, 4 assets….

images

Last edited:

Loope

What a silly post. Of course he got ban. My post explained the reason why he got ban. That's right, he have been trolling ratchet thread all day. Don't die on this hill. FYI, I can sleep safely whether he is ban or not. Now, go troll somewhere else.
Die on this hill? What? Grow up. For your information, his trolling was weak sauce compared to what your buddies here do on any MS/PC thread. Cry me a river.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sorry if already posted.

This guy is wrong 90% of the time. Lets wait for NXGamer and John from DF to do their analysis.

He's saying there is no difference other than resolution downgrade which is already false since Insomniac themselves said that there will be lighting, vfx and screen density downgrades in the performance RT version.

So just to be clear there is no difference between performance RT and fidelity mode besides lower resolution? No other graphical sacrifices like in Spiderman Miles Morales performance RT like reduced pedestrian density?

Kangx

Die on this hill? What? Grow up. For your information, his trolling was weak sauce compared to what your buddies here do on any MS/PC thread. Cry me a river.
Die on the hill refer to your post respond to me when you defense him. Wtf you talking about. Have you take a look at how persistent he was when he in ratchet thread? It is beyond a simple drive by shit post. My buddies troll on other MS/PC thread? So this show your true color. It is justify because sony fans troll your beloved MS thread. You sounded like 5 years old now. I don't care other troll MS thread, that for the Mod to decide they get ban or not. How ironic, you are the one who are crying right now. Hoohoo, they troll MS thread, why can't I troll their thread. Have you take a look your reasoning. this a discussion forum, not a playground for kids. Mod will ban whoever go over the line as seen here in this thread. Now go cry more and stop wasting my time.

Last edited:

FranXico

So just to be clear there is no difference between performance RT and fidelity mode besides lower resolution? No other graphical sacrifices like in Spiderman Miles Morales performance RT like reduced pedestrian density?
That's wrong. Performance RT has more settings toned down beyond resolution.

Loope

Die on the hill refer to your post respond to me when you defense him. Wtf you talking about. Have you take a look at how persistent he was when he in ratchet thread? It is beyond a simple drive by shit post. My buddies troll on other MS/PC thread? So this show your true color. It is justify because sony fans troll your beloved MS thread. You sounded like 5 years old now. I don't care other troll MS thread, that for the Mod to decide they get ban or not. How ironic, you are the one who are crying right now. Hoohoo, they troll MS thread, why can't I troll their thread. Have you take a look your reasoning. this a discussion forum, not a playground for kids. Mod will ban whoever go over the line as seen here in this thread. Now go cry more and stop wasting my time.
Dafuq?? you were asking for a ban, that's why i mentioned it, i didn't see his trolling, i just seen him do a ironic post about something. I don't have a favourite, but i was always clean about the fact that i don't like sony fanboys like yourself. Anything that isn't high praise, then it's trolling. I'm the one crying? Really? You go on a incoerent tirade just because a dude made an ironic post and you get all worked up. You basically made a mountain of mole hill, when there are far worse posts than that every single day.

Last edited:
Not really. Everyone knows that what Insomniac is able to do is limited by the hardware that they work on. You seem to have issues admitting that the PS5 gave them the power to make the game the way they did.
And you seem to think that a 2 second portal instead of 1 second makes for a totally different game.

And you seem to think that a 2 second portal instead of 1 second makes for a totally different game.

It's a different game because it's a new entry into the series.

Also you missed the part where it's loading GBs of data. That's not possible on the PS4s HDD which is limited to MBs of data.

Why are you so dismissive of the PS5's SSD when they (Insomniac) themselves have said countless times that what they're doing with Rift Apart would not have been possible on last-gen with HDD?

Yeah I remember Insomniac saying that as well as NXGamer NXGamer and Digital Foundry. Insomniacs panel on the game should be quite interesting.

Last edited:

Kangx

Dafuq?? you were asking for a ban, that's why i mentioned it, i didn't see his trolling, i just seen him do a ironic post about something. I don't have a favourite, but i was always clean about the fact that i don't like sony fanboys like yourself. Anything that isn't high praise, then it's trolling. I'm the one crying? Really? You go on a incoerent tirade just because a dude made an ironic post and you get all worked up. You basically made a mountain of mole hill, when there are far worse posts than that every single day.
This is getting even more silly. Now you making up stuff. I did not ask for a ban. I saw him ban because of that post so I quoted him with my post explaining how he got ban. Now stop accusing me without fact to fit your argument.

"that's why i mentioned it, i didn't see his trolling, i just seen him do a ironic post about something argument." Where did you have this when you respond to me? This even more sillier even if we assume this part somehow exist, so you defense him without knowing. Also in my post respond to him I did mention he has been trolling. Funny you ignoring that.

"Anything that doesn't get high praise, then its trolling." Wait, you are accusing me of this when clearly he got ban for go over the line. so now that you also don't like "Sony fanboys MOD" because clearly the MOD ban him for the same reason I'm accusing of.

So all and all. This demonstrate how bitter and pathetic you are. 1/ You defense him without knowing he has been trolling. 2/ accusing me of asking for a ban when he was ban before I quoted him. 3/ making up stuff that never been posted when respond to me. 4/ Bonus, accusing the Mod and me of being sony fanboys.

Last edited:
Litterally the only difference is the visual effect. Infamous second son...Quantum break... I could go on and on.

He literally goes acouple feet forward. You seriously can’t be arguing this? Seriously?

quantum_break_shoulder_bash_by_digi_matrix-d9rfq8e.gif

You should watch closely what happens to see it isn't the same thing. Your example is just the character speed dashing within the environment, but with the R & C example used you can clearly see ratchet doesn't move at all. What moves is actually the environment around him. Who knows if it actually needs the SSD to do that, but its clearly not the same as a simple dash

Last edited:
Who knows if it actually needs the SSD to do that, but its clearly not the same as a simple dash

Well if Ratchet jumps to a part that's not loaded in Memory then you would need a fast I/O to avoid any major delays in animation. They did say that they only have part of the level loaded in memory. How big that area is nobody knows besides the developers.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
This guy is wrong 90% of the time. Lets wait for NXGamer and John from DF to do their analysis.

He's saying there is no difference other than resolution downgrade which is already false since Insomniac themselves said that there will be lighting, vfx and screen density downgrades in the performance RT version.
Sorry duly noted. I won't post anything by them again.👍🙂

Last edited:
He's saying there is no difference other than resolution downgrade which is already false since Insomniac themselves said that there will be lighting, vfx and screen density

This goes beyond just simple mistakes. It's easy to spot the differences if the developer tells you what they are.

Loope

This is getting even more silly. Now you making up stuff. I did not ask for a ban. I saw him ban because of that post so I quoted him with my post explaining how he got ban. Now stop accusing me without fact to fit your argument.

"that's why i mentioned it, i didn't see his trolling, i just seen him do a ironic post about something argument." Where did you have this when you respond to me? This even more sillier even if we assume this part somehow exist, so you defense him without knowing. Also in my post respond to him I did mention he has been trolling. Funny you ignoring that.

"Anything that doesn't get high praise, then its trolling." Wait, you are accusing me of this when clearly he got ban for go over the line. so now that you also don't like "Sony fanboys MOD" because clearly the MOD ban him for the same reason I'm accusing of.

So all and all. This demonstrate how bitter and pathetic you are. 1/ You defense him without knowing he has been trolling. 2/ accusing me of asking for a ban when he was ban before I quoted him. 3/ making up stuff that never been posted when respond to me. 4/ Bonus, accusing the Mod and me of being sony fanboys.
Yeah my apologies, i misread the first post. When i'm wrong, i'm wrong. And no i'm not accusing the mod of being a Sony fanboy and also i was not defending him. Because i misread your post, i thought you were asking for a ban, hence the "you can sleep well, he was already banned". I'm not defending his trolling, just adressing that particular situation.

I really do not like sony fans, but i also do not troll any Sony game thread, even if i don't agree with some things, i never go into a game thread to shit on it, same can't be said for some characters here, but that's another talk.

Why are you so dismissive of the PS5's SSD when they (Insomniac) themselves have said countless times that what they're doing with Rift Apart would not have been possible on last-gen with HDD?

It's a different game because it's a new entry into the series.

Also you missed the part where it's loading GBs of data. That's not possible on the PS4s HDD which is limited to MBs of data.
I didn't mention PS4 or HDD.
Good devs get things done regardless of the platform.
Do you think tlou2 looks so good because the PS4 is super powerful or is it because naughty dog is super talented? Does gears 5 look great because of the immense power of the Xbox or is it because they are a talented studio? How bout botw and the insane power of the WiiU?

A talented studio makes these games look and perform well. The hardware in all scenarios including Ratchet and ps5 only limits the games.

Lysandros

What's that love story with 'ElAnalistadeBits'? The guy is less accurate than a broken clock, yet people keep posting his videos even more than NXgamer's in his very thread.

VFXVeteran

Banned
No he was referring to the yellow rift. This is his first play through and he is literally 29 mins into the game.

Litterally anything in game will be credited to a super fast ssd.

look my character just ducked. “Thank god I had that ssd I would be dead without it.”

it’s ridiculous.
Yup. It's horrible actually. UE5 demo doesn't even need an SSD and it looks better than many many games. Good quality graphics requires a good GPU and great features supported by that GPU.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Yup. It's horrible actually. UE5 demo doesn't even need an SSD and it looks better than many many games. Good quality graphics requires a good GPU and great features supported by that GPU.
It's not horrible, unless you feel insecure about something like he does which is apparent by claiming speed dash is the same thing. Most people know what parts of the game utilize the SSD, I haven't seen anyone claiming 60fps or details in small objects were from the SSD.

The game was built with the SSD in mind, there's nothing wrong with rendering it that way even if a game could do it in other more costly ways.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It's not horrible, unless you feel insecure about something like he does which is apparent by claiming speed dash is the same thing.
You miss the point. It's horrible that so many people believe that a simple storage device with an optimized workflow to system RAM is the only thing innovative for this generation and thus make antagonizing posts/threads to that effect. Raytracing should literally be the main topic for this generation - not the SSD. Nanite/Lumen wasn't created after the SSD->VRAM innovation was announced with the release of the PS5. Yet, people are running with it since that's the only standout difference for the PS5 and all the hardware available today.

Most people know what parts of the game utilize the SSD, I haven't seen anyone claiming 60fps or details in small objects were from the SSD.
Sure they do. You can take the UE5 demo as an example. People believe you can get more detail and geometry on screen per frame ONLY because the SSD allows those assets to be loaded on the fly and unloaded out of the camera's view frustum. But the technique isn't dependent on the SSD. That's the fallacy.

The game was built with the SSD in mind, there's nothing wrong with rendering it that way even if a game could do it in other more costly ways.
Completely agree here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom