• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Largest winged dinosaur found in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...biggest-ever-winged-dinosaur-discovered-china

"An ancient feathered creature dug up in northeastern China is the largest winged dinosaur ever found, researchers say.

The fossil of the prehistoric raptor is so well preserved that scientists have been able to reconstruct its impressive plumage, from the tiny feathers on its head and neck, to the larger quill pen-like feathers that sprout from its tail and substantial wings."

"The specimen poses a conundrum for researchers, because despite its impressive wings, the animal was probably incapable of flight. Brusatte said their function was a mystery, but they might have been used in colourful sexual displays, just as peacocks parade their tail feathers to court peafowls. Another possibility is that the dinosaur used its wings to protect its eggs."

Grasshopper

Neo Member
"Beautifully preserved skeleton fossil discovered of raptor two metres long with impressive plumage that lived 125m years ago in northeastern China"

Clearly fake, the earth is only 6000 years old.

/s

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Huh.
The bigger news here is the revelation that female peacocks are called peafowl.

Eggbok

"Beautifully preserved skeleton fossil discovered of raptor two metres long with impressive plumage that lived 125m years ago in northeastern China"

Clearly fake, the earth is only 6000 years old.

/s

Now all know that the earth is actually 2015 years old.
/s

CTLance

Well, it's not that unusual for birds nowadays to be flightless. Sure, a really big one with excessive plumage might be over the top, but on the other hand, depending on the environment and other factors it may have made sense. We have peacocks and paradise birds etc. pp., and they are seriously hampered in their day to day lives due to their stupidly overgrown feathers.

Awesome stuff though. Science! Nature!

...just give me a time machine already.

Huh.
The bigger news here is the revelation that female peacocks are called peafowl.

They're actually called peahens. 'Peafowl' refers to both genders.

Also, maybe I'm dumb but I had to skim through this article three times before I actually saw the size of the dinosaur :p

Amalthea

Banned
Maybe they tried to latch onto their prey with their sickle claws and then with a strong flap of their wings they would jump off the body while ripping a huge bleeding wound up. Then they would just repeat that and follow the animal until it collapsed from the loss of blood and start to feed on it.

Khaz

Tf49Nf1.jpg

vs

The more I look at Jurassic Park raptors, the more I see a plucked chicken. Feathers just make so much more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom