• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III:Starfield has now over 12m players since it's launch

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Can someone photoshop Phil's face here?

tQaMJfkG.jpg

Sorcerer

Thanks for this!!! I thought I saw a similarity between Phil and Patrick but this really nails it for me.
Maybe Spencer and Jean Luc need to switch jobs. Phil needs to get on a spaceship and Jean Luc needs to head up Xbox. LOL!!! Warp Factor 4!!!

Last edited:
If 12 million isn’t sold copies then I don’t know how that’s a good number.
Maybe it doesn’t matter now, but I’m curious if Bethesda even made their money back on what they spent developing StarField?

Last edited:
Oh there's plenty of time yet young buck if you keep up this rate of shitposting.

However I worry you will fall on your own sword long before you get the chance.
The only shitpost here was the guy replying to me when I was just laying out the facts. You came over here like the loser you are adding more post to your tally of 2k plus this year😭😭. Btw im 35 Confucious 🤣.

• Empathy
Reactions: GHG

Fredrik

Talk about utter delusion

Starfield is talked about to this day because it's a BAD GAME that did not live up to expectations, and folks like myself are still mad about that.

Meanwhile that other game you mentioned is still top of the charts on amazon and Starfield is nowhere to be seen.

Imagine living in some kind of delusional fantasy world like you live in.
Get real, I see through all your nonsense. Most people here, including yourself, has already played through SM2. Go talk about it like a normal person if you like it so much, there must be something worth talking about when it’s up for TGA GOTY. But no you’re rather here like most of those who loudly complain about Starfield, not because you’re still mad about it not living up to your expectations but to downplay any positive PR because you just can’t handle that people are actually still playing it and enjoying it. If you’re for real up for constructive criticism talk then just talk with a tone where people take you seriously, balance positives and negatives, it’s not that hard.

Get real, I see through all your nonsense. Most people here, including yourself, has already played through SM2. Go talk about it like a normal person if you like it so much, there must be something worth talking about when it’s up for TGA GOTY. But no you’re rather here like most of those who loudly complain about Starfield, not because you’re still mad about it not living up to your expectations but to downplay any positive PR because you just can’t handle that people are actually still playing it and enjoying it. If you’re for real up for constructive criticism talk then just talk with a tone where people take you seriously, balance positives and negatives, it’s not that hard.

The "positive PR" is a total spin job. But this is the kind of stuff we are going to get going forward. Total users played. Rather than satisfied, paying customers. For this game to be a success, it really needed to increase GP subs significantly in lieu of retail sales. 12M tells us absolutely nothing.

The steam reviews/activity speak for themselves. You're the one that's completely blinded by the reality and stigma surrounding this game.

Fredrik

The "positive PR" is a total spin job. But this is the kind of stuff we are going to get going forward. Total users played. Rather than satisfied, paying customers. For this game to be a success, it really needed to increase GP subs significantly in lieu of retail sales. 12M tells us absolutely nothing.

The steam reviews/activity speak for themselves. You're the one that's completely blinded by the reality and stigma surrounding this game.
You have no clue how many satisfied users a game outside of Gamepass has either so why even think about that? You think everybody who buy a game in a store go to on some store page reviewing it or are even playing it?

And Steam user reviews are, well, user reviews. Sometimes useful, sometimes not so useful. You know this.

And as said it’s ”free” on two store fronts which pull in more people who’re just there to try it out. Nothing strange about that. It’s how a subscription service is supposed to work. As said it’s there to do just that, pull people in. Halve the number and it’s still impressive, especially for a new IP on a fairly small platform. It’s PR, yes, but it still says something, it’s not like every game gets 12m players.

And concurrent players on Steam alone (remember it’s on two more ecosystems) are still fairly high for a single player game without any sort of online or coop experience 3 months after release. As always numbers will go up when the expansion arrive. And the much talked about modding tools. Modding community is actually surprisingly active already, it’s going to be awesome to see what can be done when the shackles are gone.

Gamepass doesn't sell games though. Don't see what the connection is.
Phil made the connection when Gamepass started, he said, “when you play Gamepass, you’re going to buy more videogames”.

It’s MS logic because: “I’m playing this game on my paid subscription service, but wait, let me just drop 70 bucks on this game just for fun”

Jessica Youre Wrong GIF

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
especially for a new IP on a fairly small platform
“It is Skyrim in Space”

It is available on PC + a console with at least 20 Million consoles sold… again it is available on PC…

—> it is on a fairly small platform: 😂
—> a new IP: this one partially true, but so was Elden Ring and to a great extent Skyrim (unless you think The Elder Scrolls IP is that known much more than each game)… so… 🤔

Phil made the connection when Gamepass started, he said, “when you play Gamepass, you’re going to buy more videogames”.

It’s MS logic because: “I’m playing this game on my paid subscription service, but wait, let me just drop 70 bucks on this game just for fun”

Jessica Youre Wrong GIF

You advertise " free game " and people will pay 70$ for it?

That's the argument that makes no sense to me.

Fredrik

“It is Skyrim in Space”

It is available on PC + a console with at least 20 Million consoles sold… again it is available on PC…

—> a new IP: this one partially true, but so was Elden Ring and to a great extent Skyrim (unless you think The Elder Scrolls IP is that known much more than each game)… so… 🤔
Yes Xbox Series is small compared to Playstation and Switch, and Gamepass is at like 25m subscribers but not when only counting Series and Microsoft Store which is needed here, so 12m is a big number no doubt. Try find other games with that platform combo that pull off similar numbers.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yes Xbox Series is small compared to Playstation and Switch, and Gamepass is at like 25m subscribers but not when only counting Series and Microsoft Store which is needed here, so 12m is a big number no doubt. Try find other games with that platform combo that pull off similar numbers.

The problem is that you are taking 12 million out context. The game didn’t sell 12 million copies, so the point you’re making is moot.

Most people who are getting a series are transitioning from Xbox One to Series and already had a GP subscription, which is why GP numbers aren’t growing on consoles.

Then you look at achievements, Steam, wom, and how Starfield now only drives online conversation in any meaningful way when people bring it up to shit on, which is why you have losers like Matty from Defining Duke crying about how negativity around Starfield is is driving traffic and positive coverage gets no audience. Which is normal because it was a long hype cycle that ended in a dud.

It is what it is, so it’s best if you stop trying to polish this turd by spinning numbers for people who know better than to fall for the bs, it’s a waste of time.

People talk about “lack of next gen”, or games being the same as before, warts and all, etc etc well look no further than Starfield which is technically stuck in the PS3 generation, has a bare bones gameplay loop, and creatively bankrupt in its writing and world building.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
How many on Gamepass that simply “tried it”?
A lot. And by that, I mean playing the first 10 hours, because that's how long takes to even try [bruh]

Still, with GamePass doesn't matter how long you play, but if you're still paying, and a lot are doing

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
“It is Skyrim in Space”

Skyrim a new IP? What are you smoking?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Skyrim a new IP? What are you smoking?
Not in a strict sense, but let me rephrase it: will TES VI be likely to sell a lot because it is a game in the The Elders Scrolls IP or because it is made by the creators of Skyrim?

Red Dead Redemption is a new IP, but sales of RDR and especially RDR2 cannot be separated from the “made by the company that made GTA V” statement.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What about the tiny PC market? Day one release right :)?

graywolf323

Hey, you should definitely add me to that "loser list" too, considering I've managed to rack up 5k posts in just 9 months since the admins activated my GAF account. :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
maybe the real loser is the one that was attacking others for posting so much on a forum that they themselves then got banned from 🤔

though perhaps the mods did Magnum a favor, can’t rack up thousands of posts if you’re banned

Think About It GIF by Identity

edit: also while we might have thousands of posts, at least ~10% of them didn’t come in one thread over the course of a day or so 😝

Last edited:

Fredrik

What about the tiny PC market? Day one release right :)?
Steam and Microsoft Store? I have no clue how big that market is for this game or other SP games. I know it had more concurrent players on Steam than any previous Bethesda release, 330k peak. But MS store? And sales numbers? No idea. It’s no doubt doing okay though.

Last edited:
I paid $80 for the full game and early access. I'll dunk on the game as much as I want, I've earned (paid) for that privilege at least.

The most entertaining thing about Starfield is watching the defense force in action going to bat for it. So I'm just trying to get my money's worth after the game was an immense disappointment. If it was such a monumental success that most everyone loved then defenders would be very content and just not pay us 'haters' any mind. But the insecurity about it being incredibly mid, and not at all what they needed it to be for their platform of choice, shine through at all times. I like to watch the pretzels get made, what can I say. But hey, keeps those online engagements numbers up, you're welcome Phil!

NickFire

12 million players sounds great in a marketing vacuum.

But if the people who bought and made this exclusive were answering direct questions honestly, where exactly is their "win?" Even if there were no sales at all, the engagement would be equal to about 25-33% of their subscribers I think. And it's only two million more people than they thought they'd sell copies to on a single omitted platform at one point. If they chalk up the revenue they lost (the expectation of which would have been part of the game's budget) as advertising for their platform then an argument could be made it was still a financial success to purchase the game and make it exclusive I guess. Just weird that we would be calling an advertising campaign that resulted in less revenue a success.

timothet

As of today Starfield is not even in top100 bestsellers anymore on Steam. It may have reached 12 million unique players so far, but actual sales must be astonishingly low. This game has no legs.

Steam and Microsoft Store? I have no clue how big that market is for this game or other SP games. I know it had more concurrent players on Steam than any previous Bethesda release, 330k peak. But MS store? And sales numbers? No idea. It’s no doubt doing okay though.
False. Fallout 4 had 473k player peak.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The point is that it was available to a huge user base on PC, it is not restricted to XSX|S.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I actually looked into it. I saw a few guides on how to get from level 5 to 10 in 5 mins. And how to get to level 100 in under 5 hours.

Of course, not every gamer is going to follow a guide like that. But, considering it's the beginning of the game and you always level up faster in the beginning than towards the end, I'd imagine playing normally to get to level 5 would only take a half hour or so. Maybe an hour. I'd be more worried about the metric that over a quarter of gamers gave up before even bothering to travel into space, which is supposed to be the big draw of the game.

This is nuts!!! Half the people can't even play Starfield for 1 hour?

Top Bottom