• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III:Starfield has now over 12m players since it's launch

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
That's exactly how I feel.. i just get way more entertainment and satisfaction out of multiplayer titles.

But, look at this person for example... outposts.. he is all about it lol he's like building cities in there, spreadsheets and all...

Nah man, no way! Itā€™s a new generation. I need to be able to jump out after a few minutes. Only reason I played Starfield was that I had a long extended overdue vacation. Even played some other games to completion.

Sorcerer

Can someone photoshop Phil's face here?
1T5ftz9.jpg

Reave

It's certainly a nice number to throw out there, but it's essentially 'impressions' and doesn't indicate much about engagement levels.

From a certain lens, I suppose it's good that Bethesda RPGs can still generate interest from 12m players. It shows that there's still a place for Bethesda RPGs in the modern gaming arena. However, the divisiveness of Starfield may result in less interest in future Bethesda RPGs.

Starfield. A good game, a new IP, and still being talked about endlessly 3 months later.

Meanwhile, Spider-Man 2 came and went, tumbleweed rolls through its old dead threads, and nobody cares.

MS have engagement of all kinds nailed down šŸ˜‚.

PS 12 million is great!
Starfield is being talked about because of how disappointing its results are. Not the win you think it is there, chief.

How long does it take to get to level 5? Does anybody know?
I actually looked into it. I saw a few guides on how to get from level 5 to 10 in 5 mins. And how to get to level 100 in under 5 hours.

Of course, not every gamer is going to follow a guide like that. But, considering it's the beginning of the game and you always level up faster in the beginning than towards the end, I'd imagine playing normally to get to level 5 would only take a half hour or so. Maybe an hour. I'd be more worried about the metric that over a quarter of gamers gave up before even bothering to travel into space, which is supposed to be the big draw of the game.

kikii

Starfield has an estimated 25.000 players playing rn. It oscillates but this is the average since launch. Alot of people keep using Steam numbers to justify their bs talking points as if the game is solely on Steam. Live player counters are the way to go. These counters are akin to Vgchartz. Active player in my years of experience is the best that ive come across.
fixed it for u :p

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Starfield. A good game, a new IP, and still being talked about endlessly 3 months later.

Meanwhile, Spider-Man 2 came and went, tumbleweed rolls through its old dead threads, and nobody cares.

PS 12 million is great!

Fuck me. Brutal...but actually very true.

And, I thoroughly enjoyed spider man 2

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

PS 12 million is great!
It's most likely because most gamers are having fun in Spiderman 2 and don't feel the need to justify their purchase.

5M+ sales in a month
A GamePass attach rate of 80-100%
A brand new studio opening to make a sequel or an evergreen online title

Damn, people say Xbox users hyped this game too much, but just look at some of the expectations the career haters ITT had for the game. Blows any Xbox hype away, no wonder they canā€™t keep the games name out their mouths šŸ˜†

It's most likely because most gamers are having fun in Spiderman 2 and don't feel the need to justify their purchase.

This would make sense if a majority of the Starfield talk came from people enjoying Starfield.

PS 12 million is great!

Pretty much. Even funnier, I would imagine most of those here who canā€™t stop talking about Starfield are among those who waited all year for Spider-Man and have already forgotten it.

I donā€™t mind their constant hate though. I think itā€™s adorable they do it for a game in the mid 80ā€™s on MC/OP and clearly has a ton of players.

jm89

5M+ sales in a month

Damn, people say Xbox users hyped this game too much, but just look at some of the expectations the career haters ITT had for the game. Blows any Xbox hype away, no wonder they canā€™t keep the games name out their mouths šŸ˜†

This would make sense if a majority of the Starfield talk came from people enjoying Starfield.

Pretty much. Even funnier, I would imagine most of those here who canā€™t stop talking about Starfield are among those who waited all year for Spider-Man and have already forgotten it.

I donā€™t mind their constant hate though. I think itā€™s adorable they do it for a game in the mid 80ā€™s on MC/OP and clearly has a ton of players.
Waaaah their picking on my favourite brand again, waaaah. Mommy make them stop.

Last edited:
Kind of funny people bringing up the Spider-Man comparison, even if every single person played only 20 minutes and dropped it, that is still millions and millions of $70 sales. Why would Sony give a fuck what people do after they buy it?

But on Gamepass where buying the game isn't a thing, so only 'engagement' counts. Suddenly it doesn't matter if someone played Starfield for 100 hours or one hour? It is insane the new hoops people are inventing to jump through when it comes to this game. The slightest common sense thinking destroys their arguments.

SmokedMeat

Gamerā„¢
I love how disingenuous you are.

It's not about every device owner buying it, not even half the people on GamePass downloaded it, a service largely starved of any major games in the first place.

Speaking of disingenuousā€¦

Today I learned

Lies of P
Remnant 2
Like a Dragon: Ishin
Yakuza franchise
Wo Long
Warhammer Darktide
Plague Tale Requiem
Dead Space Remaster
Etcā€¦

Not major games.

PS 12 million is great!

Talk about utter delusion

Starfield is talked about to this day because it's a BAD GAME that did not live up to expectations, and folks like myself are still mad about that.

Meanwhile that other game you mentioned is still top of the charts on amazon and Starfield is nowhere to be seen.

Imagine living in some kind of delusional fantasy world like you live in.

BigLee74

Starfield is talked about to this day because it's a BAD GAME that did not live up to expectations, and folks like myself are still mad about that.

Obviously itā€™s not, and obviously you need to let it go. It canā€™t be healthy to seethe so long over a video game just because you didnā€™t like it šŸ˜‚

Just go play Spider-Man 2 again and find a better place.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
5M+ sales in a month

PS 12 million is great!

This isn't the type of conversation you want 3 months after launch.

Xbox fans used Starfield to take shots at other games and now people are laughing that it didn't live up to the hype.

What you guys are doing is trying to turn a negative into a positive and it's not working.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Obviously itā€™s not, and obviously you need to let it go. It canā€™t be healthy to seethe so long over a video game just because you didnā€™t like it šŸ˜‚

Just go play Spider-Man 2 again and find a better place.

You know that writing things on neogaf isnā€™t the threshold for them to be true.

The game is talked about just like Redfall was talked about. Just like Xbox is being talked about. For its failures. Cope.

The defense of this game is unparalleled only because its fate is so tied to GamePass and Xbox.

People are talking about Steam because it is verifiable and accurate data. The game has mixed reviews on Steam by verified purchasers. The game has poor Steam player counts.

That isn't to say people aren't playing this on GamePass, but that's not the measure of success. The measure of success as it pertains to GamePass is new subscribers and sustained subscribers above average (MoM and YoY). The fact that Microsoft wasn't in a rush to say here is how many new GamePass subscribers let alone here is the total, tells you everything you need to know.

The game failed to sell hardware, it failed to stay on the charts, but yes... it's secretly driving massive gamepass numbers that microsoft is keeping to themselves...

Everything we can see for ourselves bad... but everthing else? Explosive and epic
No the lies and blatant attack of this game by Fanboys like you are why people are rightly defending this game. Starfield sold 2 million copies before launch and came in as the #7 top selling game of this year. MS confirmed that Starfield is responsible for the biggest growth in GP subs by far. Starfield had 1 million concurrent users peak with a average of 250,000 people playing hourly. Everything we see is bad? Thats because your a Fanboy using headlines of opinion pieces as facts instead of the numbers. Nothing about this is secret your too dumb a Fanboy to know were to find the numbers. And we all know you have the time with the 5,000+ messages you have on Neogaf alone in two years šŸ¤£. Stop spreading your biased false information loser and TOUCH GRASS!

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No the lies and blatant attack of this game by Fanboys like you are why people are rightly defending this game. Starfield sold 2 million copies before launch and came in as the #7 top selling game of this year. MS confirmed that Starfield is responsible for the biggest growth in GP subs by far. Starfield had 1 million concurrent users peak with an average of 250,000 people playing hourly. Everything we see is bad? Thats because your a Fanboy using headlines of opinion pieces as facts instead of the numbers. Nothing about this is secret your too dumb a Fanboy to know were to find the numbers. And we all know you have the time with the 5,000+ messages you have on Neogaf alone in two years šŸ¤£. Stop spreading your biased false information loser and TOUCH GRASS!
Summary:
OYS0P04.jpg

This isn't the type of conversation you want 3 months after launch.

Xbox fans used Starfield to take shots at other games and now people are laughing that it didn't live up to the hype.

What you guys are doing is trying to turn a negative into a positive and it's not working.

Nah, I'm saying please continue the nonsense. Just look one post below you, Starfield is now Redfall :messenger_grinning_smiling:

GHG

No the lies and blatant attack of this game by Fanboys like you are why people are rightly defending this game. Starfield sold 2 million copies before launch and came in as the #7 top selling game of this year. MS confirmed that Starfield is responsible for the biggest growth in GP subs by far. Starfield had 1 million concurrent users peak with a average of 250,000 people playing hourly. Everything we see is bad? Thats because your a Fanboy using headlines of opinion pieces as facts instead of the numbers. Nothing about this is secret your too dumb a Fanboy to know were to find the numbers. And we all know you have the time with the 5,000+ messages you have on Neogaf alone in two years šŸ¤£. Stop spreading your biased false information loser and TOUCH GRASS!

Arbeit Kein Problem GIF by saschamoellersde

Banjo64

cumsessed
Phil deserves profound praise for the steady and enterprising growth the Xbox division has seen under his watchful care. It's so awesome to see one of the industry's big three players evolving to new heights under the capable care and supervision of an individual that champions games and gamers first.

It's been a continued pleasure continuing to witness Microsoft plan and execute bold moves; and support, embolden, and empower their internal development teams to help showcase their best and ready their focus on key releases (across platforms in many cases); and I can't wait to celebrate the new Microsoft, Bethesda, and Activision releases being readied down the pipeline. This is a win for all of us.

Phil deserves profound praise for the steady and enterprising growth the Xbox division has seen under his watchful care. It's so awesome to see one of the industry's big three players evolving to new heights under the capable care and supervision of an individual that champions games and gamers first.

It's been a continued pleasure continuing to witness Microsoft plan and execute bold moves; and support, embolden, and empower their internal development teams to help showcase their best and ready their focus on key releases (across platforms in many cases); and I can't wait to celebrate the new Microsoft, Bethesda, and Activision releases being readied down the pipeline. This is a win for all of us.

šŸ‘ Huge kudos to Phil for steering the Xbox ship to new heights! šŸš€ It's AMAZING to see a major player in the game industry thrive under his leadership. šŸŽ®šŸ‘¾ Cheers to a leader who puts games and gamers FIRST! šŸ™Œ

Microsoft keeps dropping those BOLD moves, supporting their teams, and gearing up for EPIC releases! šŸŒšŸ’„ Excited to celebrate the upcoming Microsoft, Bethesda, and Activision games! šŸŽ‰šŸ•¹ļø This is a WIN for all of us! šŸ† #GamingGoals #XboxSuccess #GameOn šŸŽ®āœØ

Laughing after the fact is not nonsense.

You should be able to admit that this game was too far hyped and it didn't live up to it.

I don't have any issue admitting to either. I've posted numerous times about how bad the game is designed in some areas.

Doesn't mean I can't laugh at the nonsense going extreme the other way.

GHG

Im responding to your loser friend with facts. Another fact, the loser with over 2k messages a year for 17 years is defending the loser with 2.5 k messages in 2 years. While a regular person like me has 140+ messages in 2 years. So like him go
Grass GIF

And yet here you are posting here (for now, it won't last much longer at this rate).

Stick to twitter mate.

Top Bottom