• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Showcase 2021 |OT| September 9th (Show rating poll added)

How would you rate the PS5 Showcase?

• A

Votes: 83 16.2%
  • B

Votes: 147 28.7%
  • C

Votes: 133 25.9%
  • D

Votes: 98 19.1%
  • E

Votes: 52 10.1%

• Total voters

schaft0620

My guess:
3 indie games that are new
The Last of Us Collection (TLoU1: R, TLoU2, Multiplayer)
Horizon controller or plates
PS5 OS 2.0, line of SSDs with Sony branding
God of War "Summer 2022"
CoD
Dreams (out today)
Preditor HG Free PS5 update
GT7 Beta
GTA5
Red Dead 2
Spider-Man in Avengers (Oct)
Far Cry 6
Deathloop
Kena
Street Fighter 6 (Spring 2022)
Marvel's Midnight Suns (Venom Exclusive to PS)
RE8 DLC

My Dreams:
Terra Nil (out this year)
Hollow Knight
Spider-Man 2
GT7 beta "out today"
A super cool Marvel's Midnight Suns showing some villains like Mr. Sinister and Mojo
Anything from BluePoint
God of War
The Last of Us 2 MP + Story Expansion
Red Dead 2 on PS5 comes with Red Dead 1
GTA 5 has a campaign update
New free content for Preditor
Marvel VS Capcom 4 (hand-drawn art style)
New AAA Japan Studio headed by Kojima and Yoshinori Ono

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think you'll definitely see a MASSIVE difference visually between both versions, and the PS5 version will look 10x better than the Avatar footage we saw or whatever game's coming out next year, remember what HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 said. There's a reason why I'm most hyped about GoW being shown off than anything else Sony has in store, Sony Santa Monica's about to graphically SET THE BAR for everyone with the PS5. Just 6 more days...

robert eggers patience GIF
I will be sadly disappointed if GOW doesnt blow people away after everything thats been said about it.

Now also people are getting used to 4k games even like another thread floating around here saying something like missing being blown away by graphics so it might be hard to really impress many people

Either way this is THE show I have been waiting for and trying to kind of going dark the closer we get as I hope not too many thing leak and I dont want the show to be ruined for myself :)

Perrott

Gold Member
Because Kojima has probably made a 10 minutes trailer that is best suited to get its own spotlight and has little place in a really fast paced 40 minutes event focused on new games. Death Stranding is a 2019 game.
Actually Kojima has said that the Death Stranding 'Final Trailer' is one of the shortest promotional videos he has ever put out (maybe a little bit over 2 minutes?), so it would have been perfectly suited for an event.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I will be sadly disappointed if GOW doesnt blow people away after everything thats been said about it.

Now also people are getting used to 4k games even like another thread floating around here saying something like missing being blown away by graphics so it might be hard to really impress many people

Either way this is THE show I have been waiting for and trying to kind of going dark the closer we get as I hope not too many thing leak and I dont want the show to be ruined for myself :)

Would it be disappointing if they only showed a real-time story trailer of GOW2 and no gameplay?

sncvsrtoip

Character models, maybe. But you can already get photorealistic environments on UE4 on a 1080 Ti which is roughly equivalent to the PS5 in standard rasterization.

Unreal+Engine%2Fspotlights%2Fquixel-creates-real-time-photoreal-cinematic-rebirth-in-ue4%2Fblog_body_landscape2_img-1640x806-1245be08ab27c87f887ace3ad1b8da5695f47584.jpg

Avatar is already getting there in cutscenes.

DuqGnnB.gif

ND cutscenes are already approaching photorealism on a 1.8 tflops GPU.

kfE9qJ6.gif
yeah agree that environemnt are closer and closer, character models still far (I didn't see any cgi movie/traielr even using offline rendering on super machines with photorealistic character models)

sncvsrtoip

But we already have a handful of titles coming close to photorealism on current hardware, some even in real-time.
How can you make such a pessimistic claim about where things will be in 25-30 years from now, given the current trajectory? That's so absurd lol.
every new generation make smaller jump in graphics than in past and we still far from photorealism

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
My safe predictions

God if War trailer
Horizon Forbidden West trailer
Gran Turismo 7 trailer
Forspoken trailer
Death Stranding DC trailer

Wild guess for any one or two of these to show up

Uncharted
TLOU remake
Remedy Games PS5 exclusive
Supermassive Games PS5 exclusive

Actually Kojima has said that the Death Stranding 'Final Trailer' is one of the shortest promotional videos he has ever put out (maybe a little bit over 2 minutes?), so it would have been perfectly suited for an event.
Maybe they just want to show trailers for game hasn't released yet not update trailer for the 2 years old game?

Elios83

Ah really? Didn't know about that, since he has tweeted a lot about this trailer in the previous weeks I expected an other really long trailer.
In any case I still think the conference should be about new next gen games so the fact they're not wasting time with things that are perfectly suited to have their spotlight on the blog is a good sign for me relatively to the event.
Since Activision did their own marketing for COD I also hope Sony is not forced to waste 2-4 minutes on that and obviously no Deathloop please :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I could maybe see a new IP or a ps5 exclusive being announced Tuesday but it might be a splash screen again.
They supposedly have 25 games in development at first party. Now thats probably just PR to get the fanbase to calm down during those rough few weeks of turmoil earlier in the Spring, but if true that means their 10 studios have 2+ projects each in development.

• We know from the job listing and hiring's that GG was making a multiplayer shooter going back as far as 2018 when they hired several Rainbow Six Seige developers. 3+ years should be enough time to show off a vertical slice.
  • We know Cory 'wanted' to work on a new IP and that he hinted at someone else being the director of GOW2, which again means that work on his new IP started in 2018. He had the vertical slice of GoW ready in 3 years in 2016.
  • ND took over dev of TLOU remake which Schrier said was being built on the PS5 engine. Whatever that means. That also started dev around 2018. Again, thats another potential next gen only game.
  • Bluepoint is rumored to be making an MGS remake and while not a new IP, it's most likely next gen. The PS twitter leaked the acquisition so its possible that Sony bought the MGS license to make exclusives.
Other than that, i just dont see what new announcements they might have. There are only so many first party studios and most of them just got done shipping games. I just dont see Sony Bend, Sucker Punch, Insomniac and Housemarquee showing up with new games.

This is pretty much the best case scenario:

- GoW 2 demo
- Horizon 2 story trailer with flying
- GT7 trailer
- Factions MP demo
- TLOU remake trailer
- MGS remake trailer
- GG MP reveal teaser
- Cory's new IP reveal teaser with a fancy 'ingame' trailer like that Uncharted 4 trailer at E3 2014.

The question is how do they get all those games in a 40 minute conference that will have third party games from Activision, Square Enix and Capcom.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

I'm hoping that games like Deathloop and Death Stranding are either put in at the beginning of the show (pre-show stream) or are in a small 2 mins sizzle reel of games coming out in 2021. We don't need anymore "showcasing" of those games because they've been apart of major conferences this year and have had their own dedicated time in the sun. That includes Stray which also just received a lengthy gameplay walkthrough video currently sitting at over 1.3 million views on PlayStation's YouTube channel. If Horizon is there it better be some super hype shit because after a 14 minute dedicated State of Play I believe I've seen enough until maybe November/December when they really start the release campaign.

reksveks

They supposedly have 25 games in development at first party. Now thats probably just PR to get the fanbase to calm down during those rough few weeks of turmoil earlier in the Spring, but if true that means their 8 studios have 3 projects each in development.

I read it as first party developers and Sony published games so that would include Jade Raymond's one and the ex-Cod ones.

I think there are alot of options on the table including the 4 that you highlighted. I think Jason said ND would be using the tlou2 engine to make TLoU remaster or remake but it still could be next gen exclusive.

nbkicker

If death loop gets five min at the start of the event then youll no the rest of the show gonna be mediocre at best, all the shows have been average to poor this yr, so we will see if sony follows suit and shows more trailers for games we had traillers for at every show for last yr , or goes out to show stuff coming next yr that gonna blow people away

mortal

Gold Member
every new generation make smaller jump in graphics than in past and we still far from photorealism
The claim that developers will not be capable of achieving photorealism in real-time on a hypothetical PS7 is absurd.

Do you believe a hypothetical PS7 will have the same specs as a PS5?
Unless Sony decides to take Nintendo's approach to hardware development, I certainly don't see that happening.

Achieving photorealism also requires a focused art direction, and not just raw graphical output.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

The claim that developers will not be capable of achieving photorealism in real-time on a hypothetical PS7 is absurd.

Do you believe a hypothetical PS7 will have the same specs as a PS5?
Unless Sony decides to take Nintendo's approach to hardware development, I certainly don't see that happening.

Achieving photorealism also requires a focused art direction, and not just raw graphical output.
no, i belive it can be like 20-35x more powerfull but don't think its enough to get photorealism (as I wrote earlier, I didn't see photoreallism on human models even in offline rendering on super computers)

Dr Bass

What could they do that would achieve that though? We've already seen more advanced games or demos than what the PS5 could probably handle well. The Nvidia marble demo. That game from China with the Monkey as the main character (sorry, don't remember the title). I don't think God of War will look "better" than those.

I don't doubt the game will look great. But I think hoping for their to be a "new bar" set is setting people up for disappointment. It's a PS5. It's not a 3090 in a custom dedicated box.

Expectations of graphics is not even a good reason to play games. Play games because they are fun and they are such a unique experience. Looking at it any other way is like nerd sports. It's not a graphics competition. Graphics are a way to set the mood/atmosphere.

Considering the negativity surrounding so much of what goes on around here, I'd be surprised if we got truly genuine statements of "I'm blown away" from everyone.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What could they do that would achieve that though? We've already seen more advanced games or demos than what the PS5 could probably handle well. The Nvidia marble demo. That game from China with the Monkey as the main character (sorry, don't remember the title). I don't think God of War will look "better" than those.

I don't doubt the game will look great. But I think hoping for their to be a "new bar" set is setting people up for disappointment. It's a PS5. It's not a 3090 in a custom dedicated box.

Expectations of graphics is not even a good reason to play games. Play games because they are fun and they are such a unique experience. Looking at it any other way is like nerd sports. It's not a graphics competition. Graphics are a way to set the mood/atmosphere.

Considering the negativity surrounding so much of what goes on around here, I'd be surprised if we got truly genuine statements of "I'm blown away" from everyone.
No matter what around here we will have the negative people regardless how it looks.

Plus its why I added many are getting spoiled on amazing graphics anyhow.

Have used this term many times but will repeat how its been described to me.

The next GOW will set the bar for graphics and will blow most people away as have heard from a few people now it scales amazingly well with the PS5 version

Yoboman

They supposedly have 25 games in development at first party. Now thats probably just PR to get the fanbase to calm down during those rough few weeks of turmoil earlier in the Spring, but if true that means their 10 studios have 2+ projects each in development.

• We know from the job listing and hiring's that GG was making a multiplayer shooter going back as far as 2018 when they hired several Rainbow Six Seige developers. 3+ years should be enough time to show off a vertical slice.
  • We know Cory 'wanted' to work on a new IP and that he hinted at someone else being the director of GOW2, which again means that work on his new IP started in 2018. He had the vertical slice of GoW ready in 3 years in 2016.
  • ND took over dev of TLOU remake which Schrier said was being built on the PS5 engine. Whatever that means. That also started dev around 2018. Again, thats another potential next gen only game.
  • Bluepoint is rumored to be making an MGS remake and while not a new IP, it's most likely next gen. The PS twitter leaked the acquisition so its possible that Sony bought the MGS license to make exclusives.
Other than that, i just dont see what new announcements they might have. There are only so many first party studios and most of them just got done shipping games. I just dont see Sony Bend, Sucker Punch, Insomniac and Housemarquee showing up with new games.

This is pretty much the best case scenario:

- GoW 2 demo
- Horizon 2 story trailer with flying
- GT7 trailer
- Factions MP demo
- TLOU remake trailer
- MGS remake trailer
- GG MP reveal teaser
- Cory's new IP reveal teaser with a fancy 'ingame' trailer like that Uncharted 4 trailer at E3 2014.

The question is how do they get all those games in a 40 minute conference that will have third party games from Activision, Square Enix and Capcom.
I dunno about MGS but Bluepoint were definitely hinting that they were working on two projects before Demons Souls launched

mortal

Gold Member
no, i belive it can be like 20-35x more powerfull but don't think its enough to get photorealism (as I wrote earlier, I didn't see photoreallism on human models even in offline rendering on super computers)
That doesnt make any sense to me, but you're entitled to that opinion I suppose.

In for this madness.

3rd party/Indies/Multiplatform:

- GTAV Currentgen
- GTA 3, Vice City, SA (or LCS, whatever it is) Remastered
- CoD Vanguard
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits
- King of Fighters XV
- RE8 DLC
- Little Devil Inside
- Resident Evil: Outrage (Revelations 3)

1st or 3rd Party exclusive/console exclusive/timed exclusive:

- Deathloop (I know it's annoying, but there's no way they'll avoid this. It's releasing 5 days after this show, and is paid by Sony)
- Ultra Street Fighter V, all DLC's and season passes combined, final edition of the game
- FFXVI Gameplay
- TLOU II Factions, MP
- Guerilla Games, 2nd Studio FPS, probably Killzone that is developed by industry vets, and is under wraps for a long time
- GT7 Gameplay, and fall 2022 release (with demo dropping later this year)
- TLOU Part 1 Remake
- BluePoint Games becomes a part of Playstation Studios. Working on MGS1, on a revamped Fox Engine (not Unreal)
- Jade Raymond new Studio show off their PS5 exclusive shooter (mostly FPS)
- God of War: Ragnarok, live gameplay demo by Cory Barlog, similar to what he did at E3 last time.

- Bloodborne Remastered or Patch to 4K 60 fps on PS5, with framepacing issues fixed by From Software themselves.
- Showstopper - From Software - New Souls IP - Designed by Miyazaki and the Demon's/Dark Souls/Bloodborne team (without japan Studio).

Last edited:

BryceNobody

I’m still holding out hope for Silent Hill. Yamaoka teased an announcement for the summer, and we’re entering the final weeks of this season. If anything’s happening than it’s happening soon- we’re running out of time.

Slips on clown shoes

Dr Bass

No matter what around here we will have the negative people regardless how it looks.

Plus its why I added many are getting spoiled on amazing graphics anyhow.

Have used this term many times but will repeat how its been described to me.

The next GOW will set the bar for graphics and will blow most people away as have heard from a few people now it scales amazingly well with the PS5 version
I'm looking forward to seeing it all for sure. :messenger_smiling:

dyergram

Wild predictions :
Exclusive superman game
Socom

Tame predictions:
Mgs
God of war
Cod
Hz
GtA/gtas
Gt