• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It's no different as you say.
But don't you think there is a risk we get like new console each year?
How did smartphones got to new S24, pro, ultra, ultra max every year? With no upgrades at that.
When we start getting new consoles every year, maybe then will I take "issue". Until that point, it's a pointless pessimism to take on.

As of right now, no, pro consoles are not a risk to anything. All games will continue to run on the base machine and a better device in the same generation, releasing years later, is hardly a reason to call the fire dept. You're clearly not worried about the risk if you're going to support its existence with your wallet.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
When we start getting new consoles every year, maybe then will I take "issue". Until that point, it's a pointless pessimism to take on.

As of right now, no, pro consoles are not a risk to anything. All games will continue to run on the base machine and a better device in the same generation, releasing years later, is hardly a reason to call the fire dept. You're clearly not worried about the risk if you're going to support its existence with your wallet.
Again - me supporting means nothing.
But people screaming about ps5 pro since the release day clearly give Sony some signal

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Again - me supporting means nothing.
But people screaming about ps5 pro since the release day clearly give Sony some signal
You supporting it means it isn't enough of a risk to keep you from buying it, making your forum protests meaningless. People "screaming" means nothing if they buy it, particularly along with others who are cheering for it. How do you show you don't like something? Keep your $.

Regarding people screaming, unless something unprecedented is going on, they will be a very vocal minority (as they were with the PS4 Pro). I'm honestly not trying to be a dick to you or anyone else. I just don't get the issue with something that poses no significant risk to anything, and until it does, I don't see what's to gripe about (other than wishing you could buy it if you can't afford it — an issue I understand).

Last edited:

Rob_27

If it has hardware acceleration for RT and upscaling like the rumors suggest, raw TF means very little.
If you are investing in a new sku then my personal opinion is that extra RT and upscaling is not enough for the amount of money it will cost to design and produce. Plus they hardly ever support the pro consoles to the extent i would want them to. Maybe this is the time they will. But bump more of everything then maybe worth it.

I would love something super powerful covering all specs boosted slightly. I will get what ever comes out mind. 😀

Goliath77

The issue is that we now have a new console with minimal spec increase every 3 years instead of a generational leap

Ozzie666

The PS4 Pro must have met their expectations in order to be using the same strategy again. Whilst I did happily own a PS4 pro for HDR 4K gaming, that had a specific purpose. The pro consoles really reduced the impact of the next generation. I was all for the pro last generation, not so much this generation though. I won't believe it until I see a confirmation. Releasing such a device in the current economic world, seems out of touch.

Mr.Phoenix

How did smartphones got to new S24, pro, ultra, ultra max every year? With no upgrades at that.
That will never happen. A refresh every 3ish years? That's a possibility. But every year? Nope.

The console business is just wired that way. Eg... as it stands, you could take the current 6nm PS5 APU, clock both the CPU and GPU higher, and maybe end up with an 11/12TF GPU. And maintain the same chassis size as the OG console and cooling hardware. But they don't do that, they would sooner shrink the console, keep specs the same, and reduce its price.

And that's the difference between phones/GPUs/CPUs and consoles. Those other products are trying to take the same or more money from you each year. So the only way they can justify doing that is by giving you some sort of upgrade.

The PS4 Pro must have met their expectations in order to be using the same strategy again. Whilst I did happily own a PS4 pro for HDR 4K gaming, that had a specific purpose. The pro consoles really reduced the impact of the next generation. I was all for the pro last generation, not so much this generation though. I won't believe it until I see a confirmation. Releasing such a device in the current economic world, seems out of touch.
This kinda talk is becoming very very very annoying now....

I am going to stop myself from saying anything anymore or addressing such commenters, or else I get banned.

So indulge me, pls.... why is a PS5pro, that could cost $100/$200 more than the OG, while having 2x the GPu power, 30-50% more CPU power, 30-40% faster memory bandwidth, that is COMPLETELY an optional purchase. Be outta touch?'

Why do the rules that don't apply to every GPU/CPU ever made every single year, or every single new smartphone released every single year somehow... apply to Sony and the PS5?

How does a PS5pro existing, affect you or anyone in any way whatsoever?

This just baffles me.

I am not one to jump on conspiracy theories, but at this point, the only way this kinda nonsense makes sense is to believe that MS is paying people to spread this kinda FUD. As senseless as that may sound, that's the only thing that makes sense right now.

Last edited:
So where's our spec leaks?

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

WitchHunter

Banned
So indulge me, pls.... why is a PS5pro, that could cost $100/$200 more than the OG, while having 2x the GPu power, 30-50% more CPU power, 30-40% faster memory bandwidth, that is COMPLETELY an optional purchase. Be outta touch?'
2x the GPu power... under a magnifying glass

Sony should make the new Playstation with a fucking big hole in the middle. That's where the CPU+GPU+AI SOC should go. And make the whole thing a ritual to replace, akin to how Ironman did an open heart fusion reactor heart replacement in the movie on itself. Ofc you need a blonde woman to help you with the surgery and there should be multiple ritualistic steps to upgrade your console from half lightspeed to lightspeed then quantum fuckery version.

Digitize Kojima so he could tell all the people what the next step is... (all the playstation exclusive heroes tiptoeing in the background, to apply pressure on the gamer not to fuck up the procedure).

"...and now, when you pull the central nervous system cube out, I'm gonna disappear, so be quick, I don't want to lose touch with reality."

Do this and sales will quadruple in two quarters, plus at least two volcanoes would erupt in an instant, cooling the atmosphere down by at least 2 degrees celsius. All this, so the quantum fuckery core wouldn't even overheat in the Sahara.

This could even start a second hand market. So even people from not so rich demographics could have a PS @ home and play the new GOW in 1080p @ half lightspeed.

Not flops, fps, inference, token length and the shit... LIGHTSPEED would be the new metric. No sane competitor would copy this and since they won't, they'll be left behind. So in an argument, PS cultist would say: fuck your fps and flops, we are already at lightspeed you peasant.

Last edited:
From an engineering an industrial perspective, it's just make sense to design a console using a sufficiently better silicon node (4/5 nm totaling the ~300mm² sweatspot) and sufficiently new GPU tech (here RDNA4 RT) every 4 years or so. And it's now ideal combined with a 8 years long generation period.

This is a world where PC and mobiles get better every year or so. You just can't release a new console every 7 years anymore.

Last edited:

Hero_Select

I regretted upgrading to a PS4 Pro, I'm not excited for this but I think by the time it comes out I'll be fine with replacing my launch model

Quantum253

Exciting, I have feeling it’s gonna have the original color scheme going on and it should drop right on the 30th anniversary of PlayStation.
And it shall be mine..
Through the site crawler bots, scalpers, pre order botches, I hope it will be yours too.. getting a release console now seems like winning the lottery

Last edited:

onQ123

What is this BS?

The pro will be around the same price as the original PS5 ( Maybe a little more because prices are not falling as fast as it used to )

People have no problem paying $499 for PS5 today what make you think they will be out of touch for releasing a PS5 Pro next year that will be $499 - $599?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And Sony’s cloud gaming solution will still be crap.
Who gives a shit when their model is provide the games digitally or physically.

This is why they're trouncing the competition and I consider this a down year SW wise. Next year will destroy this year for them.

Gamerguy84

People can just stick with PS5. It's a great system. I'll buy one though as soon as I can get my hands on it. For PS5 games and hopefully it pushes psvr2 harder.

It's not realistic for Sony to release a new console every year. We are talking 3 - 4 yrs into the generation, that is a long time.

I am not one to jump on conspiracy theories, but at this point, the only way this kinda nonsense makes sense is to believe that MS is paying people to spread this kinda FUD. As senseless as that may sound, that's the only thing that makes sense right now.

I'm pretty sure some are afraid of Xbox not having an answer to the Pro. Whether it's sales or just seeing their platform lose all comparisons.

Not that they represent the majority of people but the fear definitely exists in social media and from some journalists.

I personally think it might be a problem especially PR wise but the biggest thing that will get hurt is some people's pride. Which pride is a dumb thing to worry about getting damaged unless your a console warrior.

Depends on the user. Some people may not want to build a PC (prebuilt is obviously an option), deal with drivers/instability issues, any sort of troubleshooting and/or simply boot up another PC that reminds you of your work PC.

I have a high end PC and a PS5 and see the pros and cons of both.
I should have added 'for me personally'. I was one of those people and those are minor compared to waiting/begging for a 60fps patch for one of your favorite games imo.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure some are afraid of Xbox not having an answer to the Pro. Whether it's sales or just seeing their platform lose all comparisons.

Not that they represent the majority of people but the fear definitely exists in social media and from some journalists.

I personally think it might be a problem especially PR wise but the biggest thing that will get hurt is some people's pride. Which pride is a dumb thing to worry about getting damaged unless your a console warrior.
MS is preparing for launch is next gen system by 26/27, they will skip the Pro and go straight to next gen, one to two years earlier than Sony, series consoles are a failure and their image is not good, my bet is they will change tactics and stop trying to go neck to neck with sony, they had success with the 360 wich launched much yearlier than ps3, I think they will try this approach again.

Mephisto40

MS is preparing for launch is next gen system by 26/27, they will skip the Pro and go straight to next gen, one to two years earlier than Sony, series consoles are a failure and their image is not good, my bet is they will change tactics and stop trying to go neck to neck with sony, they had success with the 360 wich launched much yearlier than ps3, I think they will try this approach again.

This makes sense to do when you have games exclusive to the console like the 360 did, it makes zero sense when your games are available on other platforms, and especially now cloud gaming is a thing

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
This makes sense to do when you have games exclusive to the console like the 360 did, it makes zero sense when your games are available on other platforms, and especially now cloud gaming is a thing
I think it makes perfect sense, I dont think supporting only a failed product for 04 more years is feasible, i dont think going again head to head with your biggest competition and clearly market leader is intelligent also, MS has to do something different IF they want to stay in the console space, and furthermore this has been hinted by one insider friend in this forum, so time will tell.

Elios83

This idea has no sense in the current conditions. It was feasible until the PS3/360 generation.
You start a new gen the moment you make exclusives for a new platform, you leave the previous platform behind, you convince third parties to focus development on the new platform.
Not by releasing games day one on PC and with no possibility to leave PS5/XSX behind.
Microsoft's problems are not hardware related.
Just releasing new hardware will yield the same results.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Makes no sense
If they release in 2026 they jump won't be big enough compared to the PS5 pro and the cost too expensive

That huge leak from MS shows they are going to release the next console in 2028. So same year as Sony or one year before.

DonJimbo

So hypedddd for it even i bought finally a sexy slim PS5 some days ago Mark Cerny delivers again loved the PS4 Pro

Kindela

Banned
That will never happen. A refresh every 3ish years? That's a possibility. But every year? Nope.

The console business is just wired that way. Eg... as it stands, you could take the current 6nm PS5 APU, clock both the CPU and GPU higher, and maybe end up with an 11/12TF GPU. And maintain the same chassis size as the OG console and cooling hardware. But they don't do that, they would sooner shrink the console, keep specs the same, and reduce its price.

And that's the difference between phones/GPUs/CPUs and consoles. Those other products are trying to take the same or more money from you each year. So the only way they can justify doing that is by giving you some sort of upgrade.

This kinda talk is becoming very very very annoying now....

I am going to stop myself from saying anything anymore or addressing such commenters, or else I get banned.

Why do the rules that don't apply to every GPU/CPU ever made every single year, or every single new smartphone released every single year somehow... apply to Sony and the PS5?

How does a PS5pro existing, affect you or anyone in any way whatsoever?

This just baffles me.

The much more plausible explanation is that people lack self-control and think that this new device makes their old one obsolete, and if they don't buy it, they're missing out.
They'd rather no one has it, because then they're not missing out.

PeteBull

So now that the dust has settled, it is quite obvious that the PS5 Pro is not powerful enough. When do we get the PS6?
It will be visibly more powerful from xsx, not to mention xss which will have to compete with base ps5 lol, imagine DF's breakdowns of gta6 where it looks like vaseline smeared shit on xss and pristine on ps5pr0, guess which side of the fence ppl will wanna sit at ;P

Hudo

It will be visibly more powerful from xsx, not to mention xss which will have to compete with base ps5 lol, imagine DF's breakdowns of gta6 where it looks like vaseline smeared shit on xss and pristine on ps5pr0, guess which side of the fence ppl will wanna sit at ;P
I dunno, man. PS5 Pro is obviously struggling. It's time for a PS6 Pro.

midnightAI

He's right though, it's obvious, look at all of the evidence we have... We can see it with every game trailer so far which shows PS5 Pro footage

Top Bottom