• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

Rosoboy19

Neo Member
You might not be scared but your main account is
That’s funny. This is my only account, I just don’t post much (been trying to participate more lately).
I guess your ridiculous reply answers my question. In the end it’s all just tribalistic console warrior bull crap, one side claiming the other is scared because their box isn’t as powerful or whatever. Thanks for the insight!

MikeM

As a recent starting pc player (console owner as well) I'm failing to see the pc flaws as opposed to consoles. I wish I would have got a pc sooner. I play from desk and couch the same way as on console. A wireless keyboard and mouse and a controller are all I need.

Now on topic, I will probably get a PS5 Pro because I can but I'm not really excited for it.
Depends on the user. Some people may not want to build a PC (prebuilt is obviously an option), deal with drivers/instability issues, any sort of troubleshooting and/or simply boot up another PC that reminds you of your work PC.

I have a high end PC and a PS5 and see the pros and cons of both.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some proof of that, it's easy to just sit on your chair and say how easy something could have been achieved years ago.
I can't provide proof, it's just my opinion.

I don't believe anything in this pro will be so bleeding edge it couldn't have been introduced a few years ago.

Maybe, they've refined the architecture and lowered the cost...I don't really know.

I don't get ya'll. As a tech addict/collector, I love the idea of a PS5 Pro. If it improves graphics, making 4k 60fps more achievable, I am all for it.
For those asking why spend this amount of money and not just get a PC?
  • Many of us do not enjoy gaming on PC. I am one of them. I have more than enough funds to build a kick ass gaming rig, but I just don't enjoy it. I am on a PC all day for work. PC = work to me for the most part. I want to leave my office and go into my media room, where everything works when I turn it on.
  • Many PC gamers are buying a new graphics card every year or two to stay with the latest and greatest. So sure, build a PC now, but in 2-3 years you have to upgrade it if you want to make the games look/perform the best. How is this different than buying a new console every four years?
  • When I get the Pro console, my other PS5 will go into my living room as another place to be able to play games. Now I have two devices that can play the same games.
As for those saying they will not buy it and/or PS5 generation games are just now coming out:
That is the beauty of it. You do not need to buy it. All PS5 games will still play on the older console, so why complain about the PS5 Pro coming out?
The part I've highlighted is a major deal for me at the moment, especially considering I've been 'stuck' working from home about 95% of the time since March 2020. Frankly, the last thing I want is to spend even more time gaming on my PC when I'm already 'glued' to it for a good 8-9 hours a day for work, so having the option to get a souped-up PS5 for my gaming needs sounds very appealing to me.

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Stephen Colbert Cats GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert
war wtf GIF by Bubble Punk

Xdrive05

Business question: Why does Sony need to release a Pro if Micrisoft is not also releasing a new more powerful SKU? Sony has already run away with the market. They're only competing with themselves in doing so.

Not that I would ever discourage bring more powerful hardware to the masses, but still.

FrankWza

Business question: Why does Sony need to release a Pro if Micrisoft is not also releasing a new more powerful SKU? Sony has already run away with the market. They're only competing with themselves in doing so.

Not that I would ever discourage bring more powerful hardware to the masses, but still.
Because that's what their customers want. That's the way it's supposed to work.

Maybe to give less people a reason to get a Series X?

MikeM

Stop people from going over to PC.

Xdrive05

Sony's like the anti-Nintendo when it comes to hardware. I dig their chutzpah in sticking to the plan of releasing a Pro despite no competition for it. There could be bad pricing implications consequently.

If the rumors are true that the CPU will boost to 4.4, that actually has massive implications for performance modes coming back with games that can't do better than 30fps on base PS5. Hoping that's the way this goes.

Sony's like the anti-Nintendo when it comes to hardware. I dig their chutzpah in sticking to the plan of releasing a Pro despite no competition for it. There could be bad pricing implications consequently.

If the rumors are true that the CPU will boost to 4.4, that actually has massive implications for performance modes coming back with games that can't do better than 30fps on base PS5. Hoping that's the way this goes.

I don't think that matters when they have the PS5.

Unknown?

I meant buying the base console, and then buying the upgrade in a few years. If the PS5 Pro is $750 as I think it will be, you're looking at a minimum of $1150 spent on hardware for a whole gen, getting close to what a person with a decent gaming PC spends on upgrades over the course of 7ish years. All without the benefits of open store platforms driving prices down.

I'll admit I kind of butchered my original post. Tl;dr, PC prices for console limitations.
Not even the price of a GPU, NEXT!

Mr.Phoenix

Because it boosts sales. They are fully aware that 20% of all PS4 sales were of the PS4pro variant, that is over 20M.

In three years, MS has barely managed to sell that many consoles in their entire Series range, so I am sure there is value in selling that many pro consoles if they can.

You have this situation where a lot of people who bought the OG PS5 go in for the upgrade and put their older console on the used market. That used console sale is still a new consumer that is now in Sony's ecosystem. Oh, and there is the PR bonus too.

Still think it is fucking stupid. But I just saw a post of some asshole who was happy he "upgraded" to a slim so I know there is a market for this. I just question how big it is and why they would incur extra dev costs for every fucking game to make them work on 2 sets of specs.
This is not also meant for people to upgrade of course anyone who wants can do it.Around 20 million every year till the end of this consoles lifespan are sold so the ones who buy their first one have the ability to buy for 100 Dollars more way stronger version.The upgrades will be the minority the new buyers will buy it more.

For the same reasons that Nintendo Released a 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS, 2DS, and New 2DS XL, when the Vita was already dead by the time the 3DS XL came out.

Maybe. But they just released PS Portal in order to compete against Switch.

SHA

A 14tf machine, sounds more of an afterthought than a solid release if you take games development schedule into account.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought the Dev Kit's was already in 3rd Party developer hands and that's where the leaks came from.
Either way, game's currently in production for next year will have this land on their doorstep mid production.
Can't say I expect them to utilise it in the current productions.

If RDNA 3 wasn't around a few years ago and is definitely in the ps5 pro, fair enough.

Saying that, has Sony actually confirmed any of this and acknowledged the pro is coming, what's in it, when it's out etc...?

Because, if they have, I don't remember seeing or hearing about any of it.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

If RDNA 3 wasn't around a few years ago and is definitely in the ps5 pro, fair enough.

Saying that, has Sony actually confirmed any of this and acknowledged the pro is coming, what's in it, when it's out etc...?

Because, if they have, I don't remember seeing or hearing about any of it.
If the PS4pro is anything to go by, then Sony kinda doesn't make it a habit to say anything about pro consoles until they are talking about it and giving a release date which would be like a month or two away from whenever they announce it.

Look at how they handled the PS5 refresh... that's the same thing they will do with the Pro.

And the same person that revealed a PS5 refresh with a detachable drive, a PS portal (handheld), hell even earbuds were all in the works almost a year before there were any official announcements for them, also said the Pro is coming.

That's as good a confirmation as anything. Besides, this is one of those things where if it were not happening, Sony would have at least said "We have no plans to make a PS5pro".

GHG

Gold Member
"will do nothing to improve creativity"

Wait..... is this really a negative we're throwing at pro consoles now? o_O

Thus, I'm curious, what is needed to improve creativity?

I think it's safe to say some people enjoy things like the "creative choice" of 30fps.

I beg to differ.

Because that's what their customers want. That's the way it's supposed to work.

Yep. Companies should strive to give their consumers the products that they want, not obsess over what a so called "competitor" is doing, especially when said "competitor" is doing a poor job of giving consumers what they want.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think it's safe to say some people enjoy things like the "creative choice" of 30fps.

I beg to differ.

Yep. Companies should strive to give their consumers the products that they want, not obsess over what a so called "competitor" is doing, especially when said "competitor" is doing a poor job of giving consumers what they want.

Yup. Its almost like saying why is Sony doing PSVR 2 and the Portal.

MS arent doing that and yet Sony decided to go full steam ahead. I think its safe to say Sony has released a chunk of different hardware this gen. Despite what the competition is doing.

Goliath77

Its
I legit don't get this kind of post.

There have been plenty of next gen games.
Cross-gen games are still PS5 games and they play way better on PS4.

Are you people aware you can still play many modern games with 10 year old hardware
Its really not hard to understand. They have barely started taking advantage of the ps5. There are maybe a handful of current gen only games. You really gonna pay another 500 for a slight image bump?

rofif

Banned
Its

Its really not hard to understand. They have barely started taking advantage of the ps5. There are maybe a handful of current gen only games. You really gonna pay another 500 for a slight image bump?
yep.
We don't need pro. We have not even showcased this gen power properly.
There are people looking at subpar performing and shimmering games (like aw2 recently) and blaming console power.
How can you say that when we have demons souls with perfect perfrmance and image quality at launch?
Art and dev talent is the only limiting facto here.

Obviously I will pre-order the shit out of ps5 lol. of course I will. Why not..., but I realize that I am fueling this stupidity

Rob_27

There is no point bringing out a 14tf capable machine...

Can we keep the same maths as current PS5 and XBOX Series x. 10 and 12 TF.

What will be the new PS5 pro? If you are talking 14tf don't fucking bother.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
yep.
We don't need pro. We have not even showcased this gen power properly.
There are people looking at subpar performing and shimmering games (like aw2 recently) and blaming console power.
How can you say that when we have demons souls with perfect perfrmance and image quality at launch?
Art and dev talent is the only limiting facto here.

Obviously I will pre-order the shit out of ps5 lol. of course I will. Why not..., but I realize that I am fueling this stupidity
This is like telling someone not to smoke because it's terrible while puffing on one yourself. Obviously, it isn't an issue if you're going to "pre-order the shit out of ps5, lol". No one needs a console, but people buy it because they desire it. Thus, I don't get the complaining about another option that you can skip. It hurts nothing.

Rob_27 Rob_27

So what's an acceptable theoretical number? What would be enough for them to bother?

Last edited:

damidu

yeah it is hard to understand, its extremely tired narrative
cross gen is pretty much over, there are games already running at ridiculous sub-hd resolutions. this will be released in a year, when situation will be even worse.
people pay thousands every other year on pc for "slight" image bump. there is obviously a market for it, hence why they are doing it.
best of all, you are not forced to upgrade, good luck waiting for devs to create miracles on base consoles.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
This is like telling someone not to smoke because it's terrible while puffing on one yourself. Obviously, it isn't an issue if you're going to "pre-order the shit out of ps5, lol". No one needs a console, but people buy it because they desire it. Thus, I don't get the complaining about another option that you can skip. It hurts nothing.
My 1 purchase will not change the world.
I am not boycotting ps5 pro myself alone lol. This is my leading platform this gen and I want to be on top of the game.
Although - if we have pro and pro ultra next gen... I can take 0.000000001% of the blame

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
My 1 purchase will not change the world.
I am not boycotting ps5 pro myself alone lol. This is my leading platform this gen and I want to be on top of the game.
Although - if we have pro and pro ultra next gen... I can take 0.000000001% of the blame
Most people won't boycott it. One, that's stupid, as you can skip it and no one is forced into it. Two, how is it any different than the graphics card/PC market (that people also don't boycott)? It's an option.

Like I said, the discourse is definitely a head-scratcher.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Most people won't boycott it. One, that's stupid, as you can skip it and no one is forced into it. Two, how is it any different than the graphics card/PC market (that people also don't boycott)? It's an option.

Like I said, the discourse is definitely a head-scratcher.
It's no different as you say.
But don't you think there is a risk we get like new console each year?
How did smartphones got to new S24, pro, ultra, ultra max every year? With no upgrades at that.

Top Bottom