• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart |OT| Next-gen just got riveting....

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I just unlocked the
rocket skates or whatever they are called. The game suddenly turns into Jet Set Radio. Holy shit.

Garani

I got to play the start scenario, up to when ratchet and clank get separated. This a real joy for the eye: the color, the smoothness: it’s a rock solid 30fps with a lot going on. The gameplay is very vibrant and quite fun: chaotic, but in a good way.

I was so into the game graphic that my son scold me “the whole world is going to hell and you are looking at every corner!” I had to double down and show him the floor’s texture AND OH MY GOD what an experience looking at the reflection from the Sun!

First real next gen game!

GymWolf

jesus...

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210610170625.png

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210610172456.png

Dr Bass

Where the heck are the jaggies?

The image is so clean.
Demons Souls had that super clean look to it too, even in performance mode. I mean it didn't look like this really, but it was the game the convinced me true 4k isn't needed at all, and I would rather get the higher frame rate with 1440p and whatever DS was doing. Even my lady friend who doesn't follow this stuff AT ALL said "It's so crisp looking" about DS, out of nowhere.

Very excited to check this out in a few hours!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I just played 30 minutes and, at last, we have the first next gen title of this generation. I'm playing in quality mode, I don't plan to test performance mode in the first play through. Forget Demons Souls or Miles Morales, this is Next Gen.
damn im hyped.

This game looks unreal, absolutely amazing.

Played the intro with my mouth open most of the time, could not believe my eyes (and ears with 3d headset).

Is the 3D headset worth it if you already have 5.1 surround sound? Keep hearing everyone talk about 3d audio and tempest and all that but I already have a dedicated surround sound setup.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Is the 3D headset worth it if you already have 5.1 surround sound? Keep hearing everyone talk about 3d audio and tempest and all that but I already have a dedicated surround sound setup.
I have the Pulse 3D headset and a decent 5.1 surround setup.. A half decent surround setup will still blow it out the water. It's only good if you need it for online multiplayer to chat or at night and not wanting to wake people in the house. They are the only reasons I can see for having one over a surround sound setup.

To me they are serviceable for the price but a little underwhelming, I hardly use mine being I have my 5.1 surround.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Played 2 hours in fidelity mode on my C9... i cant.... I barely finished the intro, literally taking pics every minute. I cant believe how good it looks and how good it plays. Like wtf
So honest question, you would still rather play 30fps then performance RT? Because apparently Performance RT still looks amazing, there would definitely have to be a world of graphical difference to give up 60fps surely? Looking at youtube vids that 60fps motion just looks too good!

I remember playing the original on PS2 a million years ago and I liked it a lot, but I have never had any desire to play another in the series for some reason.
What's funny is the original Ratchet and Clank is the most different compared to all the others. Which may also be why you were never interested in the series after.

HAL-01

Can u turn off motion blur, cant stand the effect, our tvs are full of motion blur, why would u want to add more.
Blur from a screen’s response time ain’t the same as natural motion blur from a camera’s sensor
There’s probably a toggle, though it should be reduced in the performance modes

So honest question, you would still rather play 30fps then performance RT? Because apparently Performance RT still looks amazing, there would definitely have to be a world of graphical difference to give up 60fps surely? Looking at youtube vids that 60fps motion just looks too good!
I'm wondering the same , 60 fps is soo smooth so i wonder if it's worth starting with fidelity mode!!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Asked my friend to do some comparison shots since Bestbuy sent him the copy early. he said the game looks far worse in motion in performance rt than these screenshots suggest (blurrier than the native 4k mode) but the 30 fps mode is too choppy for him so he's sticking with performance rt.

As you can see, the number of NPCs, foliage and skybox detail takes a bit hit.

Ve5NxGg.jpg

vDar9H7.jpg

DRgkxRJ.jpg

igeDQGF.jpg

Mx8g6FB.jpg

sfUVRKN.jpg

Dr Bass

I can't decide which mode I want to play the game in. I did Spiderman MM in Performance RT, but this one seems to just look so ridiculous in fidelity mode. It feels like a tougher call.

Asked my friend to do some comparison shots since Bestbuy sent him the copy early. he said the game looks far worse in motion in performance rt than these screenshots suggest (blurrier than the native 4k mode) but the 30 fps mode is too choppy for him so he's sticking with performance rt.

As you can see, the number of NPCs, foliage and skybox detail takes a bit hit.

Ve5NxGg.jpg

vDar9H7.jpg

DRgkxRJ.jpg

igeDQGF.jpg

Mx8g6FB.jpg

sfUVRKN.jpg
I can’t tell in that parade one whether the fireworks looks different due to the stage of the firework or the graphics setting

Played a few hours, bewteen rt 60fps and rt 30fps, rt 30fps pushes alot more effects on screen, 60fps looks a lot more cleaner in motion, gonna try 60fps non rt mode next.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I can't decide which mode I want to play the game in. I did Spiderman MM in Performance RT, but this one seems to just look so ridiculous in fidelity mode. It feels like a tougher call.
How many games have you played in 60FPS? Countless...

How many games have you played that look THIS GOOD? None...

The answer is simple. 30fps. Let those visuals sing.

Top Bottom