• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart |OT| Next-gen just got riveting....

JeloSWE

How many games have you played in 60FPS? Countless...

How many games have you played that look THIS GOOD? None...

The answer is simple. 30fps. Let those visuals sing.
I can′t see any of those extra details unless I'm standing still and inspecting the graphics but playing the game at 30 feels nauseating while 60 feels great. Also turn of that motion blur at 60 for an even clearer image in motion. Panning the camera in 30 looks like most horrible blur one can imagine.

Bryank75

Banned
Addicted, I can't sleep.

It looks truly unbelievable. Everything is so clean and so detailed and then you shoot the enemies and the armor and stuff starts breaking apart..... and the world is just so populated and if it's not you are usually covering expansive ground so fast that it's really almost too much to process at once.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The visual quality of FIDELITY is absolutely ridiculous. Performance RT looks good, but the image quality at FIDELITY is crazy.

. . . I'm also internally laughing at those poor slobs who suggested this wasn't in the same class as the top folks in CGI.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I just finished the first major set piece, awesome game. As I suspected, this game looks OK in 30 fps, as most cartoony games do. So I am playing fidelity mode and it is amazing. People weren't bullshitting with the Pixar comparisons.

Game definitely has that insomniac quirkiness to it….dr nefarious really reminds of the green goblin and this game you can definitely tell the same people that worked on Spider-Man made this

I can’t wait to see what they do for Spider-Man 2

playing this also has me wanting another sunset overdrive

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Game definitely has that insomniac quirkiness to it….dr nefarious really reminds of the green goblin and this game you can definitely tell the same people that worked on Spider-Man made this

I can’t wait to see what they do for Spider-Man 2

playing this also has me wanting another sunset overdrive

My goodness. Sunset Overdrive with this level of art direction.

bargeparty

Played for about an hour, 60fps/RT is a must. Somehow I played Miles Morales at 30, but I switched like twice to check and no, just no. This one needs 60.

It's gonna get harder to justify 30fps when so many have a 60 fps option and all the pc games I play are also 60+. It was easier for ps4 exclusives when the was the only choice, you just dealt. No longer.

Plus it still looks fucking amazing in 60+RT.

Last edited:
My worries were proven wrong - it is far better than the 2016 ratchet and clank gameplay wise, and graphically obviously a generation apart - which is more to do with the full picture of everything just all looking top notch and superb depth of field effects/particle effects - I actually have found I enjoy fidelity mode over 60 FPS due to the 60 FPS mode giving it a less cinematic look and kinda being a victim of the “soap opera effect”

THEAP99

Banned
really enjoying this game so far! but this makes me sad for god of war. in this it's literally sending u to different worlds in boss fights. in god of war rag, either that ain't happening or the ps4 version is gonna have a 30 sec loading screen mid fight.

I'm playing fidelity mode btw, it's great

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Due to the crisp animations, absurdly high res textures, and sheer scope and size of the action going on around you, this is the first time I have felt it genuine to claim it feels like I am controlling some kind of feature length cartoon. Like the universe-hopping battles or the giant beasts. Just insane. And it plays so well, the controls are perfectly reactive.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
My worries were proven wrong - it is far better than the 2016 ratchet and clank gameplay wise, and graphically obviously a generation apart - which is more to do with the full picture of everything just all looking top notch and superb depth of field effects/particle effects - I actually have found I enjoy fidelity mode over 60 FPS due to the 60 FPS mode giving it a less cinematic look and kinda being a victim of the “soap opera effect”

That's a good description of how I feel about the 60FPS modes. . . compared to Fidelity. The lower resolution without the VFX looks good but the crispness of 4K seals the deal for me.

sendit

Next gen starts when Sony says so. Fidelity mode looks great, but makes the game unplayable for me. 30 FPS feels like slideshow. I would gladly pay 800+ dollars for a PlayStation 5 pro. I’ll be playing in 60 FPS RT mode.

Garani

I just started the game up and the first thing I noticed is the only other language option other than English is Croatian? I'm UK based so I don't understand if this is a regional thing. Anyone else noticed this?

Yeah, it’s weird. I got the same
Are you going to treat us to some more yummy screens.

:messenger_savoring:

Also happy to see AMD say that.

Edit: Looking at some of the tweets some people like TimDog are trying their hardest to fight this.
It’s not something that you can show, this game it’s a fucking experience: the colors, the stuff that happens on screen, the crispness of the details, the shine and RT over metal surfaces, the weathered brass, and then you get the controller in your hand and the whole world changes: you fucking FEEL the doors sliding.

Forget the screenshots. You gotta play this game to get it.

Luipadre

So honest question, you would still rather play 30fps then performance RT? Because apparently Performance RT still looks amazing, there would definitely have to be a world of graphical difference to give up 60fps surely? Looking at youtube vids that 60fps motion just looks too good!

I tried it but the picture is just so clean and sharp in fidelity mode i cant go back to performance RT. Also it may feel "choppy" after switching from 60 but after a min or 2 it "smooths out". It honestly one of the best feeling 30 fps game out there with perfect framepacing and motion blur. Game just looks fucking IN-SANE

nowhat

I just started the game up and the first thing I noticed is the only other language option other than English is Croatian? I'm UK based so I don't understand if this is a regional thing. Anyone else noticed this?

That is weird indeed, the same option for me as well - but at least with the previous R&C on PS4, you could get localized text (and audio, which you couldn't change, which sucks) if the system language is set to the local language. Oh well, pretty much a non-issue personally, just strange.

Managed to play just about 30 minutes so far, have a remote meeting soon which I plan to end as quickly as possible so I can get back to it, but Ho Lee Fuk this game looks insane. And for me, performance RT is where it's at. Sacrificing some bling for 60fps is well worth the tradeoff.

I've spent about four hours playing so far and I'm loving it so far, I've always enjoyed these games though.
I've never had a game that's made me stop so often, go into the photomode and just zoom into everything I can see then wondering how the hell Insomniac have managed to do this. There are reflections in places that nobody would have ever have realistically expected there to be reflections because put them in such insignificant places that would have realistically even noticed or complained that they missed out if they had used raytracing there.
It's crazy, seven months after launch and they're already able to do this. It's not as if they haven;t been doing other stuff too since launch.
That's interesting, not had a nice refreshing drink of Overcharge for quite some time. :messenger_beaming:

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210611075735.jpg

Dr Bass

All I can say right now is wow. I’ve never really played anything like this but truly feels like you’re playing a cartoon movie. And I feel like insomniac has really upped their game with their character animation and writing/directing. This game is way better than the 2016 game and I just got to the second planet. If they keep up this level of quality for the entire game it’s going to be a loooong time until this level of production is surpassed.

Where do you go from here?

OneTruth

Banned
Performance RT switch my TV in 4k 120hz 4:2:2 Mode.
Fidelity switch my TV in 4k 60hz 4:4:4 Mode.

Fidelity look great but 30 fps in unplayable. My eyes is hurting. Performance RT look worst but 60 fps and RT is KING.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The dualsense and 3D audio use is so immersive one forgets they're there after several moments. It just blends in seamlessly with the rest of the gameplay and audio/visual/haptic experience. Damn, Sony really did create the first "next gen" feeling console in quite some time. So far this game is a 10/10 for me. Still haven't come across a reason to knock the score down.

Tygeezy

Soap opera effect is definitely not a thing with video games. 30 FPS has also never been a cinematic frame rate. Low budget stuff like news broadcasts, and live studio audience shows in the past use 30 FPS.

I can definitely get use to 30 FPS if I’m forced to but given the choice I will always take the higher frame rate and this game looks superb and fluid at 60 FPS with low input latency. The extra latency is also a big factor to me with my avoidance of 30 FPS.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Argh I'm definitely tempted to get this.

Not exactly a fan of the overly Saturday morning cartoon aesthetic/humor in these games but it's probably fun and surely looks stunning so I am definitely divided on whether I wanna get it or not.

What's the big difference between the 60fps and 30fps option if it also has RT?

That is weird indeed, the same option for me as well - but at least with the previous R&C on PS4, you could get localized text (and audio, which you couldn't change, which sucks) if the system language is set to the local language. Oh well, pretty much a non-issue personally, just strange.

Managed to play just about 30 minutes so far, have a remote meeting soon which I plan to end as quickly as possible so I can get back to it, but Ho Lee Fuk this game looks insane. And for me, performance RT is where it's at. Sacrificing some bling for 60fps is well worth the tradeoff.
Oh yeah, it definitely isn't an issue for me. I just found it to be kind of funny if a little perplexing.

Performance RT switch my TV in 4k 120hz 4:2:2 Mode.
Fidelity switch my TV in 4k 60hz 4:4:4 Mode.

Fidelity look great but 30 fps in unplayable. My eyes is hurting. Performance RT look worst but 60 fps and RT is KING.
Disable 120Hz output in settings so you get full RGB on your… LG OLED, I assume?

I was very excited to see how people reacted when this released and it hasn’t disappointed. I had the same feeling of awe when playing through it for the first time, doubly so as a long time fan of the series who has played every game. Insomniac just killed it with this game, as a fan I could not be happier.

DonJorginho

Banned
What's the big difference between the 60fps and 30fps option if it also has RT?
Fidelity mode has a higher resolution (native 4K), larger density in terms of crowds, ships in sky in certain areas and some other minor tweaks like cinematic lighting.

Performance RT is at a native 1440p that dynamically upscales to a 4K image, can sometimes dip to around 1240p I believe. Also crowds are slightly smaller, less ships in the sky at certain moments, some minor tweaks with the RT reflection resolution as well I believe.

Soap opera effect is definitely not a thing with video games. 30 FPS has also never been a cinematic frame rate. Low budget stuff like news broadcasts, and live studio audience shows in the past use 30 FPS.

I can definitely get use to 30 FPS if I’m forced to but given the choice I will always take the higher frame rate and this game looks superb and fluid at 60 FPS with low input latency. The extra latency is also a big factor to me with my avoidance of 30 FPS.
It usually isn’t for me - but it’s having the same effect visually as that. I know what the cause of “soap opera” effect is - and I know 24fps is actual cinema, I work in the industry. I’m just saying on this it actually does give a weird impression when I bump it to 60 from 30 that I’ve never experienced playing a game before. It’s smoother but it just looks a bit sped up, not as bad as actual frame interpolation bad on an old film but it still looks weirdly off comparatively.

On another note - now I’m starting to get the whole raytracing thing, the reflections in tiny objects are crazy looking. Really this game holds up at any detail level and I think that heavily contributes to the whole look

EDIT: possibly what contributes to it looking sped up is the fact that the game does actively do things to look very much like an animated film, all the effects and depth of field, etc give that impression - there hasn’t been a game that’s succeeded to this extent at doing that visually, when I put the FPS higher it just doesn’t as much like I’m watching/playing an animated movie

Last edited:

Garani

Fidelity mode has a higher resolution (native 4K), larger density in terms of crowds, ships in sky in certain areas and some other minor tweaks like cinematic lighting.

Performance RT is at a native 1440p that dynamically upscales to a 4K image, can sometimes dip to around 1240p I believe. Also crowds are slightly smaller, less ships in the sky at certain moments, some minor tweaks with the RT reflection resolution as well I believe.
I am a sucker for the Fidelity mode :D

Top Bottom