• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart I New Extended Gamescom Gameplay Demo

INC

Gold Member
Ah i see TheGreatWhiteShark is here, and he can't see my posts because I'm on his ignores list

3jO5xub.gif

Lethal01

Looks great, but it's 30fps.

We shouldn't have to settle for that dog shit frame rate anymore. The act of playing is more important than a few extra pixels to look at. Upscale that shit if you have to. Or at least give the option.

I'm not jumping into next generation to accept 30 fps games anymore. I can't believe how many of you think it's "fine"

Not only do I think it's fine, I prefer it.
Even on my 2080 I push the games as much as I can and am sad when I don't have enough setting that let me trade framerate for better visuals.

I am really impressed by what I saw from Insomniac with this game.

Like, it's crazy that they had this developed in the background while launching Spiderman beforehand. When did they even start developing the game? It has to take a while to get things up to this level of polish.

The fact that this is a lunch window title, and it has actual gameplay footage being shown, and the goddamn graphics are a clear indication that is indeed on running on next-gen hardware, is pretty darn impressive.

On that note: I really want to see XSEX first party games that utilizes it's power, man. Like if it is much stronger, I just want it to show me what that power looks like at this point.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Looks amazing. I love platform games. Mario is my favorite franchise and I adore Pixar movies. Might not sell my PS5 after all if I end up grabbing one at MSRP this holiday season. I need to experience this game for real.

supernova8

Banned
Ratchet-gate

It is a downgrade but I guess you could say one of the least terrible downgrades we've seen if you think about stuff like Watch Dogs, R6 Siege. I struggled to tell the difference until we got to the flying dinosaurs in the cliffs area (lighting definitely downgraded) and the pirate ship (lighting and maybe ambient occlusion toned down or something?).

Not sure it looks much worse, they seem to have managed to mask it quite well.

Haint

30fps is a crime. No amount of resolution makes up for not going 60fps. People are still deluded if they support this framerate.

when pc games easily get into the 120+ FPS range was really hoping 60 would be the norm this gen. Really disappointing.

Ok. Now remove about 80% of the fidelity in this video, cause that's what you'd have to give up to get the game running at 60FPS. You'd be playing a game that basically looked like R&C 2016 (PS4), only at 60FPS.

Last edited:

White-fire

The first two pictures are the initial reveal (the ones with the purple glow from the portal), the second two are from today.

In my opinion, minor upgrades like these with clearly upgraded textures, foliage, and polygon count give me the impression that the differences in perceived visual "quality" are more artistic and stylistic changes rather than a "downgrade". The game clearly had worked done since the last time they showed it, and if I was to bet they tweaked some things under the hood for the better. I mean, the grass in the initial reveal almost looks like it was a temporary asset used until the higher quality versions were ready, same with the building architecture. Similar other changes can be seen in the video if my quick glances didn't deceive me (clanks reflections being another).
SiAkCm1.jpg

9wCMvJ5.png

jjwMCay.jpg

9KBNYHt.png

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Looks amazing. I love platform games. Mario is my favorite franchise and I adore Pixar movies. Might not sell my PS5 after all if I end up grabbing one at MSRP this holiday season. I need to experience this game for real.

Dont understand this mentality

Honestly it feels weird for me to sell something i just buy recently knowing that PS5 will have more than just Rachet game down the road sometimes in the future

So if theres another ps5 game you gona buy it again and sell it again, and another game coming you buy again and sell again?

But its your own freedom you do you

Last edited:

Shmunter

Looks great, the stage jumping is a showpiece for mass data swap, but also notice the seamless cutscenes blending into gameplay and vice versa - no doubt assets are being juggled in and out.

Amazing quality in every aspect. The elephant in the room, at least for me. Will we get 60fps.

Ozzie666

As a first year, early next generation game, it certainly looks the part of next generation. It will only get better. I think this game is slightly amplified by Microsoft's failures as well. It's punching above it's weight. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with how the game looks and all the effects going on. 30 fps doesn't bother me at all.

The most impressive and important thing about this game, is it showcased features for next generation. The lack of load times, no pop ins, all the particle effects, raytraycing, etc etc. It's a bit of a master class to be honest in direct marketing. Is it all perfect? no, but it sets out to do what it needs to do and does it better than the competition. I suspect Spider-Man will be even better.

What's funny is, Microsoft has their own Spider-man with Gears of War 5, which was upgraded in similar ways.

Kurimao

Perfection. But 1st Sony must also re-release older R&C PS4 games to the PC so they can add more new players to their platform.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Wow. I can't believe you Sony guys are that excited over the looks of this game. You immediately call it "next-gen" worthy for what exactly? RT reflections and fast loading of levels? I can already see that the criteria for "next-gen worthy" must be it's only available on the PS5 so I guess that culls out pretty much every single 3rd party game coming in next-gen.

source.gif

The game looks good though. Nice art style and I love the abundant FX (i.e. smoke, particles, etc..). It looks like it'll be fun to play.

Entroyp

As a first year, early next generation game, it certainly looks the part of next generation. It will only get better. I think this game is slightly amplified by Microsoft's failures as well. It's punching above it's weight. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with how the game looks and all the effects going on. 30 fps doesn't bother me at all.

The most impressive and important thing about this game, is it showcased features for next generation. The lack of load times, no pop ins, all the particle effects, raytraycing, etc etc. It's a bit of a master class to be honest in direct marketing. Is it all perfect? no, but it sets out to do what it needs to do and does it better than the competition. I suspect Spider-Man will be even better.

What's funny is, Microsoft has their own Spider-man with Gears of War 5, which was upgraded in similar ways.

Is the upgraded Gears 5 a stand alone continuation of the xbox one game? I swear it was the same gane but with upgraded graphics.

Wow. I can't believe you Sony guys are that excited over the looks of this game. You immediately call it "next-gen" worthy for what exactly? RT reflections and fast loading of levels? I can already see that the criteria for "next-gen worthy" must be it's only available on the PS5 so I guess that culls out pretty much every single 3rd party game coming in next-gen.

source.gif

The game looks good though. Nice art style and I love the abundant FX (i.e. smoke, particles, etc..). It looks like it'll be fun to play.

Dude, you think Horizon Zero Dawn on PC looks better than HFW. You're not in a position to critique people for what they're impressed by.

Ozzie666

Is the upgraded Gears 5 a stand alone continuation of the xbox one game? I swear it was the same gane but with upgraded graphics.

Updated graphics and making use of the SSD for reduced load and pop ins. This is what I have been lead to believe anyhow. Much like Spider-Man it was a technical demo at first.

I never said that. Get your facts straight. I haven't even seen HFW gameplay. Don't start that shit again.

You're a known quantity to everyone on the forum. People keep asking you to do something with your technical know-how besides tell us we're wrong to be excited by how certain games look. You keep failing to do anything besides say "SONY game bad!"

VFXVeteran

Banned
You're a known quantity to everyone on the forum. People keep asking you to do something with your technical know-how besides tell us we're wrong to be excited by how certain games look. You keep failing to do anything besides say "SONY game bad!"

I'm not going to engage in a fight with you.

The game looks good for current gen visuals and it appears to be a fun ride. But it's not "amazing looking" by any stretch of the imagination. And certainly not Pixar-level. There's that over exuberance rearing it's ugly head again..

Last edited:
I'm not going to engage in a fight with you.

The game looks good for current gen visuals and it appears to be a fun ride. But it's not "amazing looking" by any stretch of the imagination. And certainly not Pixar-level. There's that over exuberance rearing it's ugly head again..

This is all opinion, we want to hear the technical reasons from you why it isn't next-gen.

VFXVeteran

Banned
This is all opinion, we want to hear the technical reasons from you why it isn't next-gen.

I don't think you do. You come at me with insults already. That's not a sign of someone genuinely wanting to know my opinion. And I gave you in the other thread my definition of "next-gen" and you argued it down.

I don't think you do. You come at me with insults already. That's not a sign of someone genuinely wanting to know my opinion. And I gave you in the other thread my definition of "next-gen" and you argued it down.

I've insulted you? Not seeing it. I didn't argue it down, I asked you what PC is required to hit those targets on the specific game we were arguing about, which was also asked in the post you were replying to. You were evading the argument I was making about consoles punching above their weight which can be proven by comparing them to their PC equivalent parts. Which of the criteria you listed for a game being next-gen isn't met by this game, btw?

Top Bottom