• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Review Thread

Rivet is cute, cute!
While Ratchet has a small robot partner she has a big robot was partner. Why I didn't see this coming?

Kokoloko85

Mid 80’s.
Unless they are expanding on the gameplay like side missions, more interactive NPC, open world etc

Last edited:

nbkicker

Im going for a 85, cant remember what highest ratchet score so far has been, but think this could top it, although ive loved the ratchet series so as long as its as good as the last ps4 version ill get my moneys worth out of it, even if reviewers give it a 30/100

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I love the huge emphasis on "millions" when R&C games sell at around just 2-3M... Of course it's gonna be hyped up through the roof on this forum, just like Godafll, Destruction AllStars, Sackboy Adventures and Returnal were before, but the reality is there isn't that much of a demand for R&C, most people see it as a kids game to begin with, hence they don't even bother. It's a small, very simple game that doesn't cost a fortune to make but does bring a good chunk profit, that's all, and having multiple 10/10 review scores and GOTY awards won't change any of that. I actually won't be surprised if the newest one won't do as well a recent R&C games due to 70€ price tag to be honest, because like I said, most people see it as something that belongs to Nintendo Switch, and pricing it like it's next CoD or GTA doesn't make any sense for most people out there.

On topic:
Somewhere between 85-95. I can already see the headlines - "the best R&C game up to date!", "a true next-gen experience!", "next-gen starts now!", "SSD is a game-changer!" and so on, while in reality it'll be the same (20 year) old Ratchet where nothing changes other than prettier graphics.
And that's why the series is so beloved by fans. It's just a fun game to play. They always throw in new things but the core gameplay is nearly flawless, there's no reason to drastically change it.

this is me right now not owning a PS5, lol.
leave GIF

I think it will get low 8s. Everything shows this being the most linear ratchet and reviewers who aren't swayed just by pretty graphics may bash it for it's old gameplay mechanics. Even if they are good, and this wouldn't be the first time.

SLB1904

Banned
I love the huge emphasis on "millions" when R&C games sell at around just 2-3M... Of course it's gonna be hyped up through the roof on this forum, just like Godafll, Destruction AllStars, Sackboy Adventures and Returnal were before, but the reality is there isn't that much of a demand for R&C, most people see it as a kids game to begin with, hence they don't even bother. It's a small, very simple game that doesn't cost a fortune to make but does bring a good chunk profit, that's all, and having multiple 10/10 review scores and GOTY awards won't change any of that. I actually won't be surprised if the newest one won't do as well a recent R&C games due to 70€ price tag to be honest, because like I said, most people see it as something that belongs to Nintendo Switch, and pricing it like it's next CoD or GTA doesn't make any sense for most people out there.

On topic:
Somewhere between 85-95. I can already see the headlines - "the best R&C game up to date!", "a true next-gen experience!", "next-gen starts now!", "SSD is a game-changer!" and so on, while in reality it'll be the same (20 year) old Ratchet where nothing changes other than prettier graphics.
Dude are Salty as fuck. Ratchet 2016 was the best selling insomniac game before spider man putting way above your shitty made up numbers.
The same 20 year old. How do you explain the other the 20year old game that looks like ass.
Cope

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Gonna go with 83

From what I've seen it looks like a technical showcase and the portals are cool

But unless they are hiding a lot it doesn't seem as creative as it could be from a weapons and platforming perspective and the writing for the last one was just cringe. That could improve but I have doubts

I'd also argue they've got the B-team on this with the next Spiderman getting the best of Insomniacs talent
8286.jpg

THEAP99

Banned
Why do I keep seeing a stigma online and by people that they're basically rolling their eyes about a new ratchet and clank game? All the games have reviewed fairly well so what's the annoyance about? It can't be cus it's a kid game since nobody eye rolls Nintendo? What is it?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why do I keep seeing a stigma online and by people that they're basically rolling their eyes about a new ratchet and clank game? All the games have reviewed fairly well so what's the annoyance about? It can't be cus it's a kid game since nobody eye rolls Nintendo? What is it?

I think you know what it is.........

ZywyPL

Banned
Dude are Salty as fuck. Ratchet 2016 was the best selling insomniac game before spider man putting way above your shitty made up numbers.
The same 20 year old. How do you explain the other the 20year old game that looks like ass.
Cope

Sure buddy, whatever drives your boat. Just don't cry when the game disappears from sales charts after a week like Returnal.

It is not a platformer exactly like knack is not a platformer but more of a brawler with some platforming.

I also jump platforms in dishonored sometimes, never knew that i was playing an immersive platform sims with that one.

The remake was probably the worse game in the series except for the graphic, not saying that the others are 400% better, but still...
The first few games had quite a lot of platforming so the identity never got changed over time.

Firm 87, I think.

Love the franchise and this looks great. However, as others have said - the £70 price tag is mental now.

That said, just loaded £80 of discounted top-ups into my account to buy it if the reviews are good :)

Unknown?

Im going for a 85, cant remember what highest ratchet score so far has been, but think this could top it, although ive loved the ratchet series so as long as its as good as the last ps4 version ill get my moneys worth out of it, even if reviewers give it a 30/100
Highest was 89.

THEAP99

Banned
Insecure Xbox owners with no 1st party titles of their own is basically about it
Honestly it's not just that. I have a couple friends that own ps5's but don't care for Xbox that have a similar reaction of "ratchet and clank, really dude?"

Which is weird because we live in a world where people are always complaining about sony's "hyper realistic focus" yet here we have a more stylized game so you'd think it would be universally welcomed.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Honestly it's not just that. I have a couple friends that own ps5's but don't care for Xbox that have a similar reaction of "ratchet and clank, really dude?"

Which is weird because we live in a world where people are always complaining about sony's "hyper realistic focus" yet here we have a more stylized game so you'd think it would be universally welcomed.

Those people sound insecure. Do any of them own any Nintendo consoles or handhelds?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
90 on the dot.

Best looking game ever.
Crazy dimension warping
Entertaining story
Vastly improved production values
Gameplay loop perfectly refined

emivita

It's hilarious how people think games deserve a certain score before even playing it.

I'm fully expecting ratchet to be minimum 80s based on what's seen, but if someone rates it 7.... Who gives a fuck. It's an opinion.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but right now I feel it's just "hoping for a high score" more than anything, since we now know Sony does care about Metacritic scores and we kinda want them to be as highest as possible. Sony is happy, sequel granted, we're happy.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It's hilarious how people think games deserve a certain score before even playing it.

I'm fully expecting ratchet to be minimum 80s based on what's seen, but if someone rates it 7.... Who gives a fuck. It's an opinion.
I hate that shit, especially when they preemptively make excuses for why reviewers MIGHT score the game lower than it actually “deserves”.

Like your personal sense of worth and identity depends on a game you (decided you’re going to) like getting positive critical reviews. To the point where you have to mentally prepare your defenses against anybody who could possibly say otherwise.

funniest part is these same people will insist that reviews don’t matter. Like… bitch, you care about reviews more than anybody else, to an unhealthy degree.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Have they spoken on any advances to the combat? I'm not quite sure what it needs to satisfy me, but something is missing from it. If it were a dish, it'd need a little salt or something.
I mean, they have really fun creative weapons, at least conceptually, but whenever I play these games, the gameplay tends to feel super mindless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom