• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

Spookie

Dear team: If I'm facing away from you shooting down range at your enemy it's a safe bet I'm on your team. There is no need to shoot me in the back of the head from 10m away then get upset when I call you a tosser for doing something so god damn stupid.

Ugh. So bloody frustrating when you're SL too.

Nickiepoo

How do you guys find the kill messages? Because personally the most fun I've had in this game so far was in a server that had them completely switched off. Not knowing if you'd actually killed someone or just grazed them made a big difference to how people were playing and added a really nice level of extra tension.

Dakota47

Dina said:
Killing with rifles is amazing as ever, but boy does this game encourage camping.

It is not that hard to go on the offensive. Especially with the help of smoke nades it is always possible to reach the cap zones. It is easier to hole up behind a wall and pick off enemies, but it is way more satisfying to attack objectives.

Spookie

Nickiepoo said:
How do you guys find the kill messages? Because personally the most fun I've had in this game so far was in a server that had them completely switched off. Not knowing if you'd actually killed someone or just grazed them made a big difference to how people were playing and added a really nice level of extra tension.

Bit pointless turning them off when you can hit tab to check if you killed them or not.

Qwomo

Spookie said:
Bit pointless turning them off when you can hit tab to check if you killed them or not.
If you're doing that then you shouldn't be playing on a realism server to begin with.

Spookie

Qwomo said:
If you're doing that then you shouldn't be playing on a realism server to begin with.

*shrug* I'll go on what ever server has a population and since it's not made very clear if it's realism or not I'll continue to use tab till TW fix it. :)

Nickiepoo

Spookie said:

Sure, if you can take a second out of fighting to actually do that, not to mention that you would have to leave it 10 seconds or so in case they'd actually bled out. It was the first thing I thought of when I noticed they were switched off but I never wanted to actually use it while in a firefight and by the time I was 'safe' it didn't matter any more.

I guess it would be fine for snipers, but actually confirming kills is much less important for them anyway, since they don't have to charge into the area they just cleared, and more than your personal kills, not having the messages means you lose a lot of your sense of how the wider battle is progressing.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'll let my screencap speak for itself.

6147023654_edebbe6f5b_b.jpg

markot

Banned
Wish I could get my money back >_>

What was the point of beta? To balance a few maps?

How about dealing with the shit tonne of actual problems this game has, and has had since beta launched >_<;

Qwomo

markot said:
Wish I could get my money back >_>

What was the point of beta? To balance a few maps?

How about dealing with the shit tonne of actual problems this game has, and has had since beta launched >_<;
Yeah!! Those Tripwire guys are just lazy!!!!

markot

Banned
Dont release a turd and tell me its a tulip >_<

Server browser still screwed? Check.
Punkbuster put into use 1 week ago giving them lots of time to test things out? Check.
Putting in features during beta then taking them out a few days before launch? Check.
Menu system still painful? Check.

And I havent even been able to play the damn game yet >_> So god knows how many of the issues that were around a week ago are still there.

This is the real world >.< its not a mod anymore, it needs to be polished now, not a month from now.

And I dont mean super polished, more 'I can play' polished.

DaBuddaDa

Thank god this game is on PC and has a dedicated team behind it that I'm sure will fix the problems, because as it stands I find the performance virtually unplayable half the time. I'm gonna throw this on the backburner and come back before BF3 comes out and see if it has gotten any better.

Qwomo

markot said:
Dont release a turd and tell me its a tulip >_<

Server browser still screwed? Check.
Punkbuster put into use 1 week ago giving them lots of time to test things out? Check.
Putting in features during beta then taking them out a few days before launch? Check.
Menu system still painful? Check.

And I havent even been able to play the damn game yet >_> So god knows how many of the issues that were around a week ago are still there.

This is the real world >.< its not a mod anymore, it needs to be polished now, not a month from now.

And I dont mean super polished, more 'I can play' polished.
The game is 100% playable.

markot

Banned
And what does a launch like this do to server communiuty? It was hard enough finding maps for people to play with in Australia when I got RO. Now how many people are going to stick around for all the problems to be fixed? I will. But many wont >_<

And I loved the first game, but they cant release a game like this, it hurts the community by pissing off lots of people who wont come back, it hurts the people who actually want to play and enjoy their product, and it sends a bad message to them too. Dont buy our games at launch, wait for them to be finished >_>

Qwomo said:

I havent been able to play. The server browser doesnt work properly.

DaBuddaDa

Qwomo said:
It is in many ways quite literally unplayable for a large amount of people, especially those who are experiencing framerates in the single-digits and a server browser that flat out does not work.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Right now, my biggest gripe is the menu systems. No offence to the guy who did it but this is some of the worst UI/menus I've ever seen. Feels like a pc game from the 90s on that front.

Other than that I'm having a blast, still a shame given that menu interaction is a rather big part, every time I die it's not eternal damnation I'm afraid of it's the goddamn spawn menu..

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Actually I wouldn't be too worried about the community. They iron out bugs, then set up a free weekend and then you have a lot of new players coming in.

What they should have done if they didn't shit themselves over BF3 and MW3 release? They should have released this game in jan-feb 2012 in its most polished state. People would be a bit tired of playing new COD and BF3 by that moment and would be eager to try something fresh.

Card Boy

Banned
Qwomo said:
Haven't had a single problem playing the game in the many hours since release. Not a single bug.

Despite the all the performance issues you may not get, I will tell you why i said what i said. The game doesn't record stats at all, you can level up but it doesn't save stats. This is a bug.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gez said:
Despite the all the performance issues you may not get, I will tell you why i said what i said. The game doesn't record stats at all, you can level up but it doesn't save stats. This is a bug.

Is that how one gets new weapons? Will the unlocked weapons be in their respective class menu for you to use when you've reached a certain level?

Card Boy

Banned
Corky said:
Is that how one gets new weapons? Will the unlocked weapons be in their respective class menu for you to use when you've reached a certain level?

I guess so, but i wouldn't know since the game doesn't record stats and kicks me every 20 minutes.

Serious answer there are weapons for each of the classes that are locked so yeah it has a leveling up system up to rank 100.

Spookie

subversus said:
What they should have done if they didn't shit themselves over BF3 and MW3 release? They should have released this game in jan-feb 2012 in its most polished state. People would be a bit tired of playing new COD and BF3 by that moment and would be eager to try something fresh.

While that would have suited us fine I imagine with them being a smaller studio, funding is a very finite resource.

subversus

Spookie said:
While that would have suited us fine I imagine with them being a smaller studio, funding is a very finite resource.

yes, I thought about that too. But if RO2 fails they won't likely to survive. Tough decisions are tough decisions.

I don't know anything about their funding situation but if you have to fire some people and have a good game on your hands which will support you for 2+ years or release a bad game which won't support you for 2+ years and then fire everyone and close the studio... which decision would you choose?

Just waiting for my steam refund to go through. I do feel slightly bad for bailing on the game, but minimum specs aren't accurate, and the extra content provided hasn't been delivered (namely the day 1 unlocks on weapons).

Give it time people. Looking at Tripwire's history, this game is going to be solid once the bugs are fixed. If it helps think of it as a Minecraft model, the initial version will keep improving over time. At least that's what happened with Killing Floor.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
markot said:
Complain about them not testing the game, and then complain they disabled features causing issues.

IlludiumQ36

Lasthope106 said:
Give it time people. Looking at Tripwire's history, this game is going to be solid once the bugs are fixed. If it helps think of it as a Minecraft model, the initial version will keep improving over time. At least that's what happened with Killing Floor.
No question. Killing Floor as we know it today is leaps and bounds ahead of the initial release.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
subversus said:
do you have problems with this game?
It has similar Min specs compared to most other games I've recently played. Dungeon Siege III, Deus Ex:HR, Space Marine, Bad Company 2, Borderlands, etc. Every one of those so far have ran extremely well on my system(at med settings). Everything is basically on low in this game and my performance is still the worst I had in a while.

Playable, but something that would have most likely been solved if they had a real beta test. Not a pay 10$ for an early demo, but one that took place a few months prior and last much longer.

I don't have any doubt that it won't be fixed over time. Yet, it is also going to cause me to never pick up one of their games again day 1 and just wait for the steam sale.

Deadbeat

Banned
Ikuu said:
Complain about them not testing the game, and then complain they disabled features causing issues.
So they are testing the game but they still release it as a retail product. I now have the right to rip it to shreds for being a broken pile of shit on release. Retail is where you judge what you paid for and I got ripped off buying this game. Id like my money back. When the game finally works properly I will buy it, I dont buy games with the promise they will work down the road.

Nickiepoo

Deadbeat said:
Retail is where you judge what you paid for and I got ripped off buying this game. Id like my money back. When the game finally works properly I will buy it, I dont buy games with the promise they will work down the road.

I can understand the disappointment but I'll take the current situation over the company going bust before the game reaches the standards of people who will otherwise be playing the uber-polished BF3/MW3 with their huge teams backed by the biggest publishers on the planet.

I know that for some it's genuinely unplayable, but some people seem to be calling bloody murder over relatively minor issues.

Llyranor

Personally, haven't had any particularly annoying bugs with the beta/game. It was already running fairly well on day1 of the beta. Had a few crashes upon joining servers occasionally during the beta. Had one issue where the game would crash every few min with the first beta patch - but hasn't been a problem since. Framerate is overall pretty good, sometimes dips a bit during arty. I don't play with ultra settings, though, except for character models (for distinguishing between models better - something that actually affects gameplay); for everything else, I've always been a proponent of performance > graphics. Interface isn't great, but hasn't actually caused any problems. Achievements not working? Aren't they? I have no idea, since that's the last thing I'd care about. Stats/unlocks not registering properly? I have no idea either. All I need is my Mosin-Nagant + bayonet. I'm not sure how significant the leveling system is, since you can perform marvelously with Lvl 0 weapons and a lvl 0 class (I think my unscoped MN record is 204m). There may be some legitimate issues, and it really sucks for those who can't actually get the game to run properly, but for most of those smaller issues, they don't really have any sort of impact of my game experience.

Most importantly, and this is speaking mostly as a huge RO1, this has already provided me with my favorite FPS experience. Most satisfying kills, awesome satisfaction from surviving an encounter, most tension, a palpable fear of death, most satisfying gunplay. This is my GOTY until proven otherwise (Dark Souls being the only real major contender for me). RO1 was already on my top10 all-time favorites list, and this is already overtaking it for me.

Nickiepoo said:
I like the delayed message, as it provides both tension while you're waiting for it, and satisfaction when it actually appears. But then, it feels artificial compared to no messages at all. The tension that comes with shooting someone, only to have them get out of sight, pondering whether they just got behind cover or bled out or are just waiting for you to pop your head out again - great stuff. And it feels all the more satisfying when you confirm kills by actually confirming them, rather than just having them acknowledged via text on the screen.

Played ~2h and don't understand what all the QQ are about. Never met any freeze, or crash, or lag, or any different problem. Game is just runs smooth, and it is a pure fun.
The one and only problem I've met so far is empty Settings panels (beside the video one), so I can't change my bindings.

subversus

The_Player said:
The one and only problem I've met so far is empty Settings panels (beside the video one), so I can't change my bindings.

it's a pretty huge problem

I am with Qwomo, he is not lying to half of anything. People having issues sorry for you, but I have put over 35 hours into the beta + this with the biggest issues being some performance problems easily fixed in the meantime tuning down the settings a tad.

Some people in here have genuine problems, others are being sensationalist because they do not enjoy the game, go figure.

It runs ok, I am using AMD(yes, another myth broken), and I am lvl 11 now, so there's another myth broken.

IlludiumQ36

The_Player said:

Post #381

Qwomo said:
Delete your Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config folder, I think. Had that bug early in the beta and that fixed it.

F!ReW!Re

Weird, I pre-loaded the game, unlocked it today after I got home from work and now when I start the game; it's remembered all my settings and I can't start single player because it just shows the same status as during the beta:
Continue campaign or axis campaign (both buttons do nothing) and the allied campaign is locked...

I deleted the config folder to see if it helped but I still can't play single player :-(

Will try some MP games..

*EDIT*:

And the game crashed if I join a server... 4 tries in a row now..
Never had these problems during the beta..

IlludiumQ36

F!ReW!Re said:
Weird, I pre-loaded the game, unlocked it today after I got home from work and now when I start the game; it's remembered all my settings and I can't start single player because it just shows the same status as during the beta:
Continue campaign or axis campaign (both buttons do nothing) and the allied campaign is locked...

I deleted the config folder to see if it helped but I still can't play single player :-(

Will try some MP games..

*EDIT*:

Haven't seen anything like that for the SP, but try this fix for your MP issue:
ghst said:
try this:

- close steam
- extract the two files in this zip into your \Steam\config\ folder. overwrite the files already in there.
- make sure they are now set to read only.
- restart steam.

Exuro

F!ReW!Re said:

Will try some MP games..

*EDIT*:

For singleplayer, did you click continue/next/whatever in the bottom right corner? Pressing Axis campaign and continue also doesn't work for me, but I think that's just how it's designed. I had to press the button in the bottom right corner to move on from that screen.

Top Bottom