• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

Card Boy

Banned
Why is every Tripwire game a buggy piece of shit at launch? Whats wrong with these people? Better yet whats wrong with their fanboys defending their buggy pieces of shit?

If i was in charge i'd rather delay for 1 month than release it in this state. Don't these guys have pride in their work?

My issues so far

-Punkbuster problems
-Ping going like crazy for everybody randomly (up to 999) in various servers
-90% of the time can't join servers unless i lower 1 or 2 settings
-Sometimes after a certain amount of time the game just crashes "roonline.exe stopped working"
-Sound cuts out randomly for all people in a room
-Bad bad performance and i can run the Witcher 2 maxed out on ultra (minus Super Sampling and SSAO) at 60fps.
-Bad bad bad pop-in, zoom in i can see people past a bush, zoom out bush magically covers the enemy from sight
-Stats not recording
-Everybody is at level 3
-Chat doen't work sometimes unless you quit the game
-Xbox controller rumbles despite not being in use.
-Achievements are buggy and glitchy ("completed campaign" after tutorial)
-Server list is bugged to shit

I wish i was exaggerating but i'm not. I can't belive i was hyping this game up.

mojiimbo

Is the single player mode running fine at least? I trust them after what they accomplished with Killing Floor so I don't mind waiting a few days to play online and would welcome the opportunity to learn the mechanics by myself and not have to burden my team with that.

Just got done with a lengthy session and it was a blast. Getting framedrops like everyone else. Besides the performance issues nothing to bad going on with my PC on my end.

Sethos

Banned
mojiimbo said:
Is the single player mode running fine at least? I trust them after what they accomplished with Killing Floor so I don't mind waiting a few days to play online and would welcome the opportunity to learn the mechanics by myself and not have to burden my team with that.

Runs perfect for me.

Card Boy

Banned
mojiimbo said:

Yeah single player works alright, achievements are glitchy though. And i though the tutorial was abit buggy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Phife Dawg said:
Maybe try re-running the UE3 redist found in the binaries folder of the steamapps RO2 folder. Other than that, yeah that's not normal.

After deleting/reinstalling RO2, I tried this, but it still runs at 5 or less FPS. I'd love to play this game but somethings not working right. Guess I'm out of luck.

Oh man this time Steam asked me to defrag my files again, and it appears to be running correctly now. Praise the lawd!!!!

It still runs like shit, but it runs like shit as it should. Now I can move on to new things to complain about.

Nelo Ice

Banned
odd that i havent run into any major problems and im pretty much maxing the game out save for i think mlaa ultra.

though the one problem i have ran into is the single player campaign not glitching up when i alt tab.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Do we know who did the soundtrack? It's very familiar, I think it reminds of of The Witcher's OST.

Also, on the note of things that need to be fixed, I use custom bindings, don't show me the default bindings during the tutorial. What a noob mistake.

FGMPR

Banned
Snuggler said:
Do we know who did the soundtrack? It's very familiar, I think it reminds of of The Witcher's OST.

Also, on the note of things that need to be fixed, I use custom bindings, don't show me the default bindings during the tutorial. What a noob mistake.

I'm pretty sure it was the guy (can't remember his name) who wrote the score for Mass Effect 1/2

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That name is familar, thanks.

I cannot hit this sniper target in the tutorial. Whats wrong with me.

Aw, now I can't use my rifle since my guy won't stop putting bullets into it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Gez said:
Why is every Tripwire game a buggy piece of shit at launch? Whats wrong with these people? Better yet whats wrong with their fanboys defending their buggy pieces of shit?

If i was in charge i'd rather delay for 1 month than release it in this state. Don't these guys have pride in their work?

My issues so far

-Punkbuster problems
-Ping going like crazy for everybody randomly (up to 999) in various servers
-90% of the time can't join servers unless i lower 1 or 2 settings
-Sometimes after a certain amount of time the game just crashes "roonline.exe stopped working"
-Sound cuts out randomly for all people in a room
-Bad bad performance and i can run the Witcher 2 maxed out on ultra (minus Super Sampling and SSAO) at 60fps.
-Bad bad bad pop-in, zoom in i can see people past a bush, zoom out bush magically covers the enemy from sight
-Stats not recording
-Everybody is at level 3
-Chat doen't work sometimes unless you quit the game
-Xbox controller rumbles despite not being in use.
-Achievements are buggy and glitchy ("completed campaign" after tutorial)
-Server list is bugged to shit

I wish i was exaggerating but i'm not. I can't belive i was hyping this game up.

I think I'll wait. Thanks.

Qwomo said:
It's mostly just him. I haven't run into a single bug or glitch since the game launched.

Sorry, I'm throwing my hat in with him. I'm having wacky performance, connection, and achievement bugs left and right. Hell, half the time I try launching the game it tries to do "first time setup." Already reinstalled it. :(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Haven't had any issues. Experienced the crazy 900+ ping thing and we all had a good chuckle at that.

subversus

I'm tempted to get it just to see how buggy it is on my PC. But I think I'll wait. Or may be not...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My severe performance issues came back, the 2nd mission was back to sub 2FPS and the multiplayer match I tried ran aroun 15FPS. This is the first time I haven't been able to play a new game on my PC, it's very disappointing. Hopefully one of the upcoming patches will help or I won't be able to play this (seemingly) awesome game.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yeah, really glad I didn't spend much on this one. I used some referral credit to get it for like $10. Even still, I'm kinda wishing I'd had saved my $20 in said credit for something else.

This game is a laggy mess for me ontop of being very poorly optimized.With an i7 930 and 5870, I can max out Crysis 2 and Witcher 2 no problem. I have most things set to medium, and the lighting effects all unchecked, and I still struggle to keep a steady 30fps. And the random 400+ms ping spikes aren't doing the game any favors.

And even when everything is working, the game feels pretty meh. I've never encountered such a camping whore fest. I understand this isn't a run-n-gun game like COD or BF. I get that you're supposed to take it slow, and make intentional, calculated decisions. But, seriously, every round is a rush for a camping spot for the marksman and machine gunners. Kinda silly.

And the actual level design and round system kind of reminds me of Counter-Strike. I can see the allure, and it's definitely something different. But I don't think it's really for me.

I'll give it some more time tomorrow. Maybe it's just not clicking. I've heard there's a pretty steep learning curve... I just feel so dumb playing it; but I just get ticked at all the optimization problems when I try to get better.

In any case, I'm really happy for everyone enjoying it! I'm not trying to hate. It seems to fill a niche... I just don't think I'm part of it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It seems to run a lot better when I disable FRAPs. By a lot better, I mean 20fps instead of 10.

I'm only frustrated with my situation because this is clearly an excellent game, but it's so incredibly borked for me right now. I just want to play dammit, stop pushing me away.

Have the game pre-loaded, but I'm away from my PC at the moment for at least a couple more days. It sounds like Punkbuster is part of the reason there's issues here. Would I be right in suggesting that?

This could be really bad for the game's player base if a lot of people who jumped in early without playing RO have these issues, get pissed off, and never come back to it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Have the game pre-loaded, but I'm away from my PC at the moment for at least a couple more days. It sounds like Punkbuster is part of the reason there's issues here. Would I be right in suggesting that?

This could be really bad for the game's player base if a lot of people who jumped in early without playing RO have these issues, get pissed off, and never come back to it.

I know it's really shallow, but I'm afraid that's gonna happen to me (see my above post).

By the time they get their crap together, I'll be sinking my teeth into Gears, and then I'll be gearing up (harhar) for BF3. And then boom, we have Halo CEA and MW3. I know they're different games, but I typically only give one shooter my attention... and if RO2 can't grab said attention quickly, I doubt I'll come back to it.

markot

Banned
Guerrillas in the Mist said:

Exactly. Releasing the game 'to avoid cod and bf2' makes no sense if you essentially mutilate your product and turn away potential buyers by rushing it out the door in a clealy unfinished state. Punkbuster was added like a week ago >_> cmon...

markot said:
Exactly. Releasing the game 'to avoid cod and bf2' makes no sense if you essentially mutilate your product and turn away potential buyers by rushing it out the door in a clealy unfinished state. Punkbuster was added like a week ago >_> cmon...

FFS, what's wrong with VAC?

Nelo Ice

Banned
man battles in this game are so epic. love how it really feels like ur in war and u gotta work together to win. also noticed in the servers ive played in theres always people trying to command the team or tell them to attack where to go etc.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ghst said:
try this:

- close steam
- extract the two files in this zip into your \Steam\config\ folder. overwrite the files already in there.
- make sure they are now set to read only.
- restart steam.

Yooo ugh! I don't want to take out anything in advance but the first server I joined I could play as much as I wanted without any problems, so it seems you fixed my problems, I owe you bigtime.

Nemic77 said:
I had this problem on RO1 and most source games...

Then I followed these steps: Telnet Fix.

Thanks for the suggestion, if my problems persist I'll try this next.

On the game : god dammit I was under the impression that germans had the metal helm and the soviets had that cap, I ran around killing like 2-3 of my mates just now thinking " damn I'm good " and realizing all too late that when someone screams " TRAITOR!!! " that's not a good sign >_> , in my defense the map was dark.

Nickiepoo

Corky said:
On the game : god dammit I was under the impression that germans had the metal helm and the soviets had that cap, I ran around killing like 2-3 of my mates just now thinking " damn I'm good " and realizing all too late that when someone screams " TRAITOR!!! " that's not a good sign >_> , in my defense the map was dark.

Yeah, that got me too first time I played a non-winter equipment map.

&Divius said:
Is the SP a decent representation of what the MP is like?

In no way. It's just a turkeyshoot and the AI is stupid as dirt. It's nothing close to how actual games play out.

Spookie

Whelp. Performance is slightly better than beta. I'm on a 580 though, I'd be flipping tables if it wasn't. But almost every other bug that was in there over the weekend still exists. Including the permanent suppression bug and the cloned iron sights on Station. :/

I can't get over how stats STILL don't work.

Corky

Spookie said:
Whelp. Performance is slightly better than beta. I'm on a 580 though, I'd be flipping tables if it wasn't. But almost every other bug that was in there over the weekend still exists. Including the permanent suppression bug and the cloned iron sights on Station. :/

I can't get over how stats STILL don't work.

What kind of performance are you getting on which settings=?

speedpop

The stats thing is weirdly funny.

Just went through a couple of hours and had no issues. Feel sorry for the guys who, despite the beastly rigs, can't get this to run well. Still it is the best map design and gun play in a FPS in a long time. Nothing more sweeter and satisfying than being able to clear out a house toting a SMG, and yet you can still get drilled by a single bullet from a rifle out in the distance if you've poked your head out of a window for too long.

Had a weird death where I run in to a Ruski and he stabbed me with the bayonet while I was shooting from the hip. Both of us died.

As for the campers: flank flank flank. They can't do shit when they don't realize where you are coming from. The maps are much bigger than what they appear to be.

Spookie

Corky said:
What kind of performance are you getting on which settings=?

Everything on ultra minus shadows which is on high. 60-50 frames on average but when arty arrives or grenades go off it'll drop to low 30's. Some micro stuttering as people respawn and render on my screen too.

I'd still expect a solid 60 all the time considering the hardware I own. :/

Corky

Spookie said:
Everything on ultra minus shadows which is on high. 60-50 frames on average but when arty arrives or grenades go off it'll drop to low 30's. Some micro stuttering as people respawn and render on my screen too.

I'd still expect a solid 60 all the time considering the hardware I own. :/

Tried to see how I'm faring but it seems my framerate is locked at 65 for some reason, even though I turned off d3doverrider. Does the game have somekind of built in limiter?

Sethos

Banned
Corky said:
Tried to see how I'm faring but it seems my framerate is locked at 65 for some reason, even though I turned off d3doverrider. Does the game have somekind of built in limiter?

If you turn on frame-rate smoothing it's locked to 62.

I'm running everything Ultra / maxed out with FXAA on Medium and I'm getting steady 60FPS with Vsync in every situation. MLAA is terrible as it gives you massive drops apparently and some of the later implemented maps in the beta could also drag the FPS down quite a bit with FXAA on High, so I settled for Medium, I don't even notice. FXAA on High even crushed some shadows, completely warped them, not on Medium.

Corky

Sethos said:
If you turn on frame-rate smoothing it's locked to 62.

I'm running everything Ultra / maxed out with FXAA on Medium and I'm getting steady 60FPS with Vsync in every situation. MLAA is terrible as it gives you massive drops apparently and some of the later implemented maps in the beta could also drag the FPS down quite a bit with FXAA on High, so I settled for Medium, I don't even notice. FXAA on High even crushed some shadows, completely warped them, not on Medium.

Forgive me but I can't really find that option. Also what does the 1 Frame lag on thread option imply? The tooltip doesn't make much sense to me.

edit : gah I'm blind, found that option atleast.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Hopefully they can have everything fixed in a week or two, the game is loads of fun when it works properly. Sneaking up the ladders and then killing a few people with the bayonet is pretty awesome.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Amazing the quality of people you meet.

First game ever playing RO2, and I'm just adapting to everything. About 15 minutes in, I mistake one of my own team for an enemy. Most Russians seem to have the white uniform, this guy was dark uniformed with a helmet. He was my team, opps.

Get called TKing whore, TK faggot, etc. TK the next time I spawn and kicked right after.

It also caused my actual game to crash too, lovely start. I felt like quitting right there, but I decide to go into another game.

Next game was absolutely splendid. Admittedly I TK with grenades twice over the next hour of play. But each time I said sorry and they just brushed it off. It was like this with everyone in the room. Played 3 full maps and had a pretty damn good time. Game runs kind of crappy on my rig, where it is hurting my shooting, but I don't think it would have helped terribly much. Died a bunch of times, but also got some nice kills in too. A triple grenade kill ^_^

Dina

Killing with rifles is amazing as ever, but boy does this game encourage camping.

I also still don't appreciate the MP40/PPSH being as accurate as a rifle under 100 meters. I suppose it's the realistic approach, but it makes that gun dominant in 95% of all the shooting ranges. And with 5 assault slots, 3 squad leader and 1 commander slots, 50% of the server runs around with an SMG.

Should be 30 meters instead of 100.

subversus

shintoki said:
Next game was absolutely splendid. Admittedly I TK with grenades twice over the next hour of play. But each time I said sorry and they just brushed it off. It was like this with everyone in the room. Played 3 full maps and had a pretty damn good time.

you forgot to add "and then I added this server into favourites".

speedpop

shintoki said:
Amazing the quality of people you meet.

First game ever playing RO2, and I'm just adapting to everything. About 15 minutes in, I mistake one of my own team for an enemy. Most Russians seem to have the white uniform, this guy was dark uniformed with a helmet. He was my team, opps.

Get called TKing whore, TK faggot, etc. TK the next time I spawn and kicked right after.

It also caused my actual game to crash too, lovely start. I felt like quitting right there, but I decide to go into another game.

Next game was absolutely splendid. Admittedly I TK with grenades twice over the next hour of play. But each time I said sorry and they just brushed it off. It was like this with everyone in the room. Played 3 full maps and had a pretty damn good time. Game runs kind of crappy on my rig, where it is hurting my shooting, but I don't think it would have helped terribly much. Died a bunch of times, but also got some nice kills in too. A triple grenade kill ^_^
You'll find shitheads in all communities really, even TF2 (a game known for its carefree attitude and community) is not free from them. Had one guy earlier who was bellowing over the ridiculous voice chat to get out of the way since he was in a tank. Could barely understand him. He TK'd a few people by running over them accidentally and then started breathing heavily down his mic about warning us poor infantry. Some people have anger issues and should either a) dump their testosterone with a good wank prior to playing, or b) don't play a multiplayer that relies upon competition. I'm not free from criticism because I'll occasionally let out a "fuck" after a death, but taking it out on fellow gamers like some sort of vulture is behaviour that resides in a sewer.

As for the TK business as a whole, sometimes it is hard to really consider who is who. There have been more than enough times where I've hesitated on pulling the trigger in case it was a friendly, even though I know the Soviets run with both hands on the gun whereas the Germans run one-handed. I suppose it provides an extra level of immersion; do I act on reflexes and pull the trigger now, or do I wait for rationale to kick in and make sure it's an enemy while I keep my crosshair hovering over them?

Dina said:
Killing with rifles is amazing as ever, but boy does this game encourage camping.

I also still don't appreciate the MP40/PPSH being as accurate as a rifle under 100 meters. I suppose it's the realistic approach, but it makes that gun dominant in 95% of all the shooting ranges. And with 5 assault slots, 3 squad leader and 1 commander slots, 50% of the server runs around with an SMG.

Should be 30 meters instead of 100.
The range is deadly at times, but I found the SMG being useless against a rifle in open space. Even when I am getting the pop on some people from over 50m away, it's always a coin toss as to whether they go down or not because the recoil is so ridiculous and usually by the first few spurts they have run to safety. But we'll see what happens when better rifles get unlocked.

Top Bottom