• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 4 |OT| - Did You Miss Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Is the whole "Euros" thing a reference to long-time Sherlock/Doctor Who director Euros Lyn? Or was the name taken from the novels?

Alienous

That was a damn good episode.

Actually mysteries, convincingly deduced. A fairly believable villain. Great acting all around - Cumberbatch in particular just looked the part of Sherlock throughout the episode. Not as impressed by the ending - the compounded mysteries just made the initial ones feel hollow.

It's a shame they weren't able to start the season with an episode as good as this one.

88random

Is the whole "Euros" thing a reference to long-time Sherlock/Doctor Who director Euros Lyn? Or was the name taken from the novels?

It's from "His Last Bow" where Sherlock is alluding to WW 1. Also, in S03E03, "His Last Bow" episode, Mycroft is mentioning east wind.

That was pretty great. I didn't hate the first episode, but this was amazing. I was rather disappointed with S3 so it's great to see this show back on track

I just had a thought. Sherrinford isn't a person, it's the institution to which Eurus was committed. Would explain the 2pm appointment in Mycroft's ledger, and the call in Ep. 1 "put me through to Sherrinford". He was visiting Eurus. They're playing with our expectation that Sherrinford's a person, when it's a place.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
After sitting down and letting this episode ruminate in my head overnight, I'm not as over the moon about it as most around here...but it was definitely more enjoyable than last week. And I loved the ending reveal.

This actually hit the emotional beats for Mary much better than her death scene last week. She's a really good character, so I'm glad she got a proper send off here.

At least we're back on track now. The mystery itself was a bit simple, but that's directly after having an extremely ludicrous and internal one last week.

Symphonia

Banned
Well, damn, that was an amazing episode, and it definitely redeemed this season. I loved how it all tied up together in the end, and that twist at the end? Holy shit, never expected that. Fantastic performances from Cumberpatch, Freeman, and Jones.

Goodstyle

Someone should just make a whole series of Culverton Smith laughing gifs. Toby Jones is just so delightful in this role.

I was quite puzzeled about what is going on until the first half but man this got to be my favourite episode. Absolutely fantastic

I feel like...Sherrinford will be the other Holmes sibling and twin to Euros. Tried to save Sherlock from drowning (Euros' fault because Sherlock is supposedly the dumbest Holmes child) and Redbeard, the dog, died helping to save Sherlock. Sherrinford suffered brain damage from almost drowning in the process and needs round the clock care, Mycroft visits and Sherlock put the incident away in his mind palace because it traumatised him so, and all he remembers is the dog dying and even that makes him tear up.

All im basing this on is the use of water and shots of Kid Sherlock on a beach with a dog.

I can see that this was the best since season 2, though it's still not up there with the latter. On repeat viewings I'll certainly enjoy the Lynch-esque parts, with my expectations for the conclusion out the way. But the latter wasn't exactly as masterful as certain other episodes. In the end, there wasn't too much of a mystery. After the "anyone" twist, it's really just waiting for him to confess. Then the whole delusional Sherlock thing just gets thrown out the window because he had planned everything anyway. That finally seemed like they'd further explore him devolving into a killer since last time's finale, but nope.

Just to heap more expectations on next week's episode, apparently The Final Problem has replaced A Scandal In Belgravia as Moffat's personal favorite script he's ever produced for this show (he wrote TFP with Gatiss).

I'm updating the OP as well, but just as a reminder, I double checked and the finale is on at 7pm EST next week, not 9p EST.

Ashhong

I thought Irene (the actual actress, not just her text sound) was slated to have some kind of return this season. Am I remembering wrong?

Tugatrix

What if Euros is Shelock twin? they are about the same age. Obviously when Sherlock was shot by Mary wasn't the first time he had a brush with death, the other occasion was when he was a kid and Redbeard was involved and I guess so does Euros. She want vengeance on them so I guess she's the one that tried to kill Sherlock and ended up killing redbeard

I saw the lady that came to sherlock and the psychiatrist were the same lady and just thought "Sherlock planted her so he could win back John" , I guess I was half right.

Eklesp

I really hope that Sherrinford is not a 4th sibling. I don't they would reveal a third and then, "oh look, everyone stops at 3. It is a 4th sibling!!". Seems more likely to be a location.

I think the episode was pretty good. Feels like the negative feelings toward episode 1 are elevating how positive everyone feels toward 2.

I didn't see the reveal at the end coming though and am excited for 3!!

Cafeman

My theories were both wrong and correct.

Wrong: I thought John had been texting not only "E" indiscreetly, but also someone else from his bed, maybe sister Harrie. WRONG. He was indeed getting improperly emotionally connected to E. (E stands for Euros!)

Right: Smith's daughter at 221B , I thought I recognized her as flirtatious E. Then I thought that maybe British actresses all look alike, and I was wrong. Then I was proven correct. However, excellent makeup and disguise, it still shocked me where the therapist woman revealed herself.

I didn't hate last week's episode as much as others. I did enjoy this week's The Lying Detective and its many references. Can't wait until The Final Problem. Since we already saw a version of the story The Final Problem with Moriarty, Sherlock, a fall and Reichenbach in ep 2.4 The Reichenbach Fall, I can't imagine why they named this next episode that way.

Goodstyle

They better not do that Spectre bullshit where it's revealed that Moriarty was just a puppet all along. I want all these villains to be connected, but still their own thing.

They better not do that Spectre bullshit where it's revealed that Moriarty was just a puppet all along. I want all these villains to be connected, but still their own thing.

I really hated the portrayal of Moriarty in this series, so I'd be okay with that. He was by far the least intimidating villain performance on the show and never did anything all too crazy. Like, characters in the show always talk about his genious villainy, but it was never actually shown (excluding the suicide to fuck over Sherlock). I.e. him being a puppet might redeem that finally. The guy from last season's finale fit the "evil Holmes" figure ten times more.

Cafeman

Moriarty was a pretty interesting and fresh reinvention for this series. "Its raining, its pouring, Sherlock is boring ..." :)

Goodstyle

I really hated the portrayal of Moriarty in this series, so I'd be okay with that. He was by far the least intimidating villain performance on the show and never did anything all too crazy. Like, characters in the show always talk about his genious villainy, but it was never actually shown (excluding the suicide to fuck over Sherlock). I.e. him being a puppet might redeem that finally. The guy from last season's finale fit the "evil Holmes" figure ten times more.

... You thought 4-eyes was a fitting rival to Holmes? The dude who licked people's faces, pisses in their living room, and doesn't do basic body searches was an intimidating rival?

Moriarty was amazing man, and the second season finale is still the best episode the show's ever done.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This one was way less impossible to deduce than zombie Moriarty:
- the third sibling was heavily hinted at back in series 3. Of course, everyone thought "brother".
- the abominable bride established we tend to overlook women.
- everyone speculated that that random girl on the bus wasn't that random.
- by the time it's revealed Sherlock didn't meet Faith when he thought he did, it's entirely possible to deduce the person he met and the girl on the bus are one and the same. The note cements the fact that he did meet someone. You could then wonder how or why this person managed to steer clear of Sherlock on CCTV and you'd come to the conclusion that this is someone who doesn't want to be seen with Sherlock, wants to fuck with his head, and is good enough to do so. That this woman knew Moriarty isn't a huge assumption to make.

I'm not saying this was entirely foreseeable, I was 100% surprised, just that it's not random at all, which makes it a really good twist IMO.

I'm kind of curious to see if Redbeard plays into this.
I guess I meant from the very beginning, all the way back to series 1, in terms of Sherlock's family history. Then again, I haven't read the books (which probably doesn't matter as much with this adaptation), so I have no idea if Sherlock having many siblings was something that's just known to fans of the "franchise" (I blame 2016 pop culture for making me refer to Sherlock Holmes as a franchse. lol).

Euros said that a "mutual friend" put in her contact with Culverton so she could get the note. I'm guessing that friend was Moriarty.

Edit: Actually, I wonder if perhaps she was in a relationship with Moriarty. Recall that the note had a significant crease and Holmes's deduction from it. In this show's time, Moriarty has been dead for 2 years, and that time would have accounted for the discoloration from the sunlight.

The acting in this show is so damn good. Top 3 episode for sure.

Also Euros and Sherrinford aren't the same person right? Sherrinford is a more Holmes-y name than Euros.

... You thought 4-eyes was a fitting rival to Holmes? The dude who licked people's faces, pisses in their living room, and doesn't do basic body searches was an intimidating rival?

Moriarty was amazing man, and the second season finale is still the best episode the show's ever done.

Dude used Holmes-techniques for evil schemes. Moriarty did goofy screaming.

I think the episode was pretty good. Feels like the negative feelings toward episode 1 are elevating how positive everyone feels toward 2.

I didn't see the reveal at the end coming though and am excited for 3!!
Nah, I enjoyed the first one and this second even more. And I'm excited for third too!

On side note, I really like how these episodes have been filmed, very crisp look, with great cinematography and I just love color grading in this.

hamchan

Boy, I sure forgot Andrew Scott was even in Spectre until this post reminded me.

Neoweee

OG Moriarty is like the patron saint of Retcons. He exists for a single story, a bunch of previous cases get cursory "Moriarty's fault!" comments in passing, and then gets killed off in that same tale. It is kind of hilarious.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I know they are actors and it's their job and all but damn that last scene between John and ghost Mary where he says he wants to be a better man must have been rough considering they just separated. It's like the whole "I'm so sorry I want to be better please take me back" kind of speech.
Oh wow, I had no idea they were married IRL. For a decently long time too. Filming S4 must have been awkward as fuck... :\

It's not so much about Sherlock being the focus, as much as it makes all supporting characters one-dimesional and inconsequential.

Add to that the main character, who is treated as the absolute moral authority, despite being supremely flawed, and all the character motivations and relations just become completely ludicrous. Especially if the main character they all orbit around isn't on screen. See: Watson/Mary this season.

The last show that was this blatant about it was probably fucking Dexter of all things.
House? The Mentalist? Both, incidentally, were inspired by the original Sherlock Holmes character. "Asshole genius who is always right" is a common trope at this point. You can hate the trope and find it tired, I understand that, but this is Sherlock, he's the original embodiment of that trope, it seems silly to complain about that. It'd be like having a story about Jesus and complaining that "Jesus is just a typical "saviour messiah" stock character!" or something. xD

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
OG Moriarty is like the patron saint of Retcons. He exists for a single story, a bunch of previous cases get cursory "Moriarty's fault!" comments in passing, and then gets killed off in that same tale. It is kind of hilarious.

It's actually quite interesting to see almost every modern adaptation of Holmes dive so quickly and grandly into Moriarty when he's a fairly minimal aspect of Holmes lore. Like you said, the majority of it is retroactive. I guess for TV shows and movies, you need an antagonist who has the perception of being an equal to Holmes.

jerry113

Banned

It was me James, the author of all your pain.

In a way I think Toby Jones' storyline was robbed of some development because of the last 15 minutes. He didn't feel focal enough of a storyline.

Much better episode than last week's bullshit. Haven't decided if I'll see TFP in theatres, but have already set the DVR for next Sunday.

Also, no spoiler tags are needed after the episode airs in the UK. If it hasn't aired in the US/everywhere else, just stay out of this thread (or off social media) until you watch it.

I thought she was going to turn out to be Adler since they had just mentioned her. Much happier with this though. Can't wait to see where they go with it.

Permanently A

Oh my god did anyone else bust a gut laughing when
Watson started grunting after Mary died?
It sounded like he was trying to take a shit. The emotional whiplash killed me, I wasn't expecting him to make those noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom