• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Storm of the decade" to hit NorCal on Thurs w/ hurricane force winds in Sierra mtns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
As a person who works outside as a phone tech and have Thursday off....
louseal.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm looking at TWC online, and its like... it looks like the storm is already 60% past us? Am I seeing the map wrong? maybe the radar only goes out like.. 200 miles or something? At the current rate the storm will be over by 4am.

Still looks plenty north to me.

Q96gis6.png

I'm looking at TWC online, and its like... it looks like the storm is already 60% past us? Am I seeing the map wrong? maybe the radar only goes out like.. 200 miles or something? At the current rate the storm will be over by 4am.

1) Yes, the radar coverage only goes so far.

2) You have to look at the animation. That trough of rain is moving mainly in the direction of that line of activity of the radar. For example look at this animation: http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/pacsouthwest_loop.php

f0nz0

No one here really considers Sac to be part of the bay. Maybe some Sac folk think that of themselves so they don't feel left out, I dunno lol.

I live here and never would consider sac part of the bay, shit, I grew up in Santa Cruz County and never considered that the bay either, central coast!

Anywho, where is this rain.. Dry out here by sac state, not windy at all.

Dalek

For the people wondering where the rain is, I swear-have none of you ever used a weather app before? The rain won't start until 11pm at the earliest.

Windy here in Emeryville. They've closed the schools tomorrow and a lot of things have been cancelled.

Eh, not too worried about it.

Producer

Hope it rains in LA like it did last week i think it was? Last week or 2 weeks ago i dunno but it was raining good. More of that pls

Knowing California, this "Storm of the Decade" will be comparable to a "Thunderstorm" on the East Coast.

Haha. Not to downplay the results of this storm (which, in a state that isn't prepared for rain, will probably lead to a lot of terrible road accidents and some severe flooding) but a storm expected to dump 2-3 inches of rain and produce 30-50mph winds in New England sure as hell doesn't make the national news.

Thanks to all the hyperbolic news reports, I get to work from home. Let's see some rain, San Francisco.

I've had people asking me to WFH tomorrow because of the inevitable disaster of the storm, and we're just in San Jose, heh.

bounchfx

1) Yes, the radar coverage only goes so far.

2) You have to look at the animation. That trough of rain is moving mainly in the direction of that line of activity of the radar. For example look at this animation: http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/pacsouthwest_loop.php

yeah, I did. I'm actually in the SF bay area, maybe that's why. Everyone around here pumped it up like HERE was getting pounded, but looking at the maps it looks like everyone above here is, and SF is mostly untouched. That's a fucking huge mass of green though goddam.

aett

Folsom here - it's slightly windy. The weather report doesn't show any chance of rain until the middle of the night and nothing really crazy until tomorrow around midday or afternoon.

I work in Sacramento and we had some very light rain about a week or two ago for a few days and each fucking day that meant there were multiple accidents on both highways 80 and 50, oh and on I-5, naturally. I think the roads tomorrow after work are going to be goddamn parking lots.

Yea it was busy as hell here. Walmart had a ton of people with necessities. I bought nothing but tape and some granola bars. lol

I don't think this storm is that serious.

I live one block up from a Dairy Queen. I think I'll be just fine. Unless they close in which case I'm SCREWED. Hehe it's windy here in Campbell but no rain yet.

Verger

Banned
I think the North Bay should start to get some rain about now. The rest of the Bay should be getting hit with the brunt of things around 2-4am

yayaba

Yup it's definitely windy now. I'm on the peninsula, no rain but it's a lot more windy now than usual.

Good thing I have True Detective to binge on. Never started it until now... so good.

yayaba

Weather radars are whack right now. I'm not sure what part of the green is actually precipitation or what is just cloud cover.

Either way, bed time. We'll see what state the world is when I wake up in the AM.

fauxtrot

Banned
Just some light wind and scattered showers here in Midtown Sacramento as of 1am... g'night y'all.

Tomorrow's trash day too.. I really hope my cans stay upright until the waste management truck gets here in the morning. If I wake up to a sea of soaked garbage in my front yard, I'm gonna be unhappy.

gimmmick

I was born and raised in the Bay Area. I remember the storms of El Nino back in 1997 / 98. Good times. Hopefully we will be getting some of that rain here in Vegas.

It's raining pretty hard up here with some good wind but nothing unmanageable. Fill up those lakes rain. Let's see how bad the roads are now.

This better not mess with my trip to Capcom Cup.

I'm meeting my brother up there this weekend and I need to drive through the mountains Friday afternoon and take a couple trains to get up there.

Woke up this morning.

And there isn't even rain.

Storm of the Decade my fucking ass.

All that hype for a off day from work so I am definitely not complaining.

Esiquio

The rain has been relentless and strong for hours here in the North Bay. Gusts of high winds, too. I'll bet places are already getting flooded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom