• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The OFFICIAL Spider-Man® 2 THREAD. REVIEWS. ALL SPIDEY-RELATED EVENTS. EVERYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
great movie.. kicked ass from start to finish except for aunt may's speech which was over the top and way too long... AAA+++

also, to clear up some serious comic book mistakes in this thread... Harry is not Hobgoblin. Ned Leeds was Hobgoblin. Harry was simply Green Goblin (though referred to by fans and info places Green Goblin (II)). Also, John Jameson better not end up being Venom.. It is Eddie Brock. It was Eddie in the MU, Eddie in the Ultime U, and should be Eddie in the movies.. As far as what they do with John Jameson.. well frankly, his work here is done.. he was a basic plot device and nothing more.. we need to move on from it now just like they did in the comics a loong looooong time ago...

as for the people here who were disappointed.. I can see that.. any time the hype builds way up it is easy to be let down, no matter how good a movie ends up being.. all I will say is that if you liked the first one and came away not liking this one, I would give it another shot... part of the problem is this one was SOO much different from the first one.. You go in expecting more of the same and instead are given a MUCH quirkier Sam Raimi movie than the mainstream first movie..

but there is seriously a lot ot love here.

and if you hated the movie because parts were contrived/silly/unbelievable/etc, sorry, but really, WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU EXPECTING!! This movie is a downright amazing adaption of around a good 10 years of Spider-Man develoment (college and falling in love with MJ) and 40 years of doc ock development.. If you don't like that, you pretty much don't like the comic or the character and in that case why the hell would you go see the movie?

Not saying people don't have a right to their opinion, but seriously, if you have any affinity for the character there is no way you could have no liked this movie... maybe a little let down or disappointed, but the movie pretty much covers the spider-man mythos to a T, at least the part it is trying to cover.

Seth C

Jonah's son DOES bring the symbiote from space. However, he was introduced about 30 years before Venom despite this. So, his introduction doesn't really mean too much about Venom. It could, or it could not.

Seth C

borghe said:
great movie.. kicked ass from start to finish except for aunt may's speech which was over the top and way too long... AAA+++

also, to clear up some serious comic book mistakes in this thread... Harry is not Hobgoblin. Ned Leeds was Hobgoblin. Harry was simply Green Goblin (though referred to by fans and info places Green Goblin (II)). Also, John Jameson better not end up being Venom.. It is Eddie Brock. It was Eddie in the MU, Eddie in the Ultime U, and should be Eddie in the movies.. As far as what they do with John Jameson.. well frankly, his work here is done.. he was a basic plot device and nothing more.. we need to move on from it now just like they did in the comics a loong looooong time ago...

Not entirely true. John Jameson was a super-villain for a few issues in Amazing. I fully expect him to be Peter's human rival in the third film. It's obvious why this would make sense.

borghe

from what I've been reading here, apparently it was only in the cartoon that I never bothered tuning into that John was Venom.. why the hell they did that is beyond me, but I never watched the cartoon.. In the MU, Venom was the symbiot suit Spidey picked up on the Beholder world in Secret Wars.. The FF used a sonic blast to separate him from it. later after he "ruined" Eddie Brock's career the sombiot formed with him to become venom.

In the UU, Eddie and Peter were childhood friends. Eddie developed the Venom formula as an exoskeleton type thing, went crazy, etc.

Thos are the only two I will accept. :p

As for John in a few issues of the comics.. you are right.. I forgot about that.. but now that you jogged my memory it also reminded my why I forgot about it.. totally unmemorable...

anyway, I hope they have Eddie as Venom.. they even dropped his name in the first movie.. I guess we'll see..

Matlock

Banned
Seth C said:
Not entirely true. John Jameson was a super-villain for a few issues in Amazing. I fully expect him to be Peter's human rival in the third film. It's obvious why this would make sense.

He was Man-Wolf, for those of you who forgot.

Yes, Man-Wolf.

Seth C

42.gif

That's the first appearance of John Jameson as a "super hero."

Matlock

Banned
I don't think he had an original supername, just put on a suit and ran around being his dad's goon. :p

Of course, right now he's a popsicle thanks to the Stargod storyline, so meh.

Seth C

Matlock said:
I don't think he had an original supername, just put on a suit and ran around being his dad's goon. :p

Of course, right now he's a popsicle thanks to the Stargod storyline, so meh.

That's true, he didn't have a name. He was just affected by those spores and then Tony Stark made him the suit. He was still just John Jameson.

LakeEarth

Saw it last night, but was too tired to write anything up on it. As most of you, I thought it was incredible.

I did feel that it got a little too slow in the middle, but I'm SURE that's why the critics are loving it. They're loving it because Raimi put the movie on hold for lots of character development. They took the time to really make you feel Peter's pain and all the troubles he has. The fight scenes were incredible, MUCH more enjoyable than the Green Goblin fights. Just more brutality, more smashing into walls and the like.

Three minor problems I had with the movie was :

1. Peter really got
un-mask happy
at the end. I mean jesus, like 3 times in the last 3 scenes.

2. Too many close-ups of women screaming. Okay, they're screaming, I GET IT!!! I know they were trying to get a comic book look, where they usually have drawings of women screaming, but jesus, that's enough!

3. Asshole sitting RIGHT BESIDE ME must've had mutherfucking tourettes or was retarded or something. Kept speaking really loud to the asshole beside him, but what he said made no fucking sense whatsoever. Things like blue paint can!!!! or 1977!!!!!, I was ready to just elbow him in the face and tell his friends that he must've fallen asleep.

But overall a really great experience.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
LakeEarth said:
Saw it last night, but was too tired to write anything up on it. As most of you, I thought it was incredible.

I did feel that it got a little too slow in the middle, but I'm SURE that's why the critics are loving it. They're loving it because Raimi put the movie on hold for lots of character development. They took the time to really make you feel Peter's pain and all the troubles he has. The fight scenes were incredible, MUCH more enjoyable than the Green Goblin fights. Just more brutality, more smashing into walls and the like.

1. Peter really got
un-mask happy

2. Too many close-ups of women screaming. Okay, they're screaming, I GET IT!!! I know they were trying to get a comic book look, where they usually have drawings of women screaming, but jesus, that's enough!

3. Asshole sitting RIGHT BESIDE ME must've had mutherfucking tourettes or was retarded or something. Kept speaking really loud to the asshole beside him, but what he said made no fucking sense whatsoever. Things like blue paint can!!!! or 1977!!!!!, I was ready to just elbow him in the face and tell his friends that he must've fallen asleep.

But overall a really great experience.

I have to agree with you on that 1st point. It was getting a little crazy.

Phoenix

LakeEarth said:

1. Peter really got
un-mask happy

I'm glad someone else thought that too. I thought I was just missing something that was prevalent in the comic. After a while I was like
just leave the mask off since you keep putting it on only to take it off 30 seconds later

borghe

he did get very unmask happy, but he did in the first one also.. I mean did he really have to reveal to GG?? If he unmasks to the villain(s) in the third one I call shenanigans.. I am glad he did it to MJ this "early" and Harry as well.. pretty much the best of Harry's GG comes out in his conflict of peter/spidey/his dad...

anyway, will see it again today... last night I Was really tired.. in line for 12 hours... got some sleep and going to see it today in a much more stable state of mind..

Gantz

Banned
I caught a show this morning. It was indeed a lot better than the first one. Alfred Molina gives a great performance as Dr. Octavius. Bruce and Ted gave great performances too. Kursten Dunts never shuts up lol. The cgi in first half of movie looked totally fake, but it looks seamless and much improved during the 2nd half. . The ending was kinda of sappy. I'm sure Sam had nothing to do with it. Good news though is Venom will definitely be in Spiderman 3.

BuddyC

LakeEarth said:

'tis Raimi's style, that.

Hero

So is Harry/GGII going to be the central villain in Spidey 3? I really don't want to go back to a GG villain. Definitely lame after all the awesome Doc Ock. fights. Venom would be awesome though.

Edit:

What was with the chocolate cake scene?

I think they should have some very bad things happen to harry in the next movie to push him over the edge. Then make him a second teir villain who sacrifices himself in spidey 4.

Fuck what i wouldnt give for Dr. Doom appearance.

Guzim

I thought it was excellent. The introduction was great, and everything about it was just better than the first one. Can't wait until Spider-Man 3, but that won't be out until 2007 :(

Saw an 11 AM showing (the theatre was packed) and thought it was really great. There were a few things here and there that annoyed me, but it was outstanding on the whole. Best superhero movie evar! It eats the 1st Spiderman flick alive and then shits it out, and I thought the first was a very decent flick.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Phoenix said:
I wish there was a way to chart the demographics of the people who liked the film, those who hated it, and those who were just 'okay' with it. Because just in the few responses we've gotten so far opinion seems to be all over the map.

Not really. The concensus seems to be it's a good movie, with a few people citing quibbles and disappointment and one guy who walked out because he's an idiot.

96% FRESH RATING. OH YEAH.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Willco said:
Not really. The concensus seems to be it's a good movie, with a few people citing quibbles and disappointment and one guy who walked out because he's an idiot.

96% FRESH RATING. OH YEAH.

Walked out? He should be shot, but after being forced to watch the movie all day Clockwork Orange-style.

LakeEarth

Nah, he's just a lying Jr Member. Who would go through all the trouble to watch a midnight showing of a movie just to leave halfway through? It's like Futami saying he "made it to Ganon in Majora's Mask and lost interest" all those many moons ago.

evil ways

Best superhero movie of all time, at least for now.

Even though I really wanted to see this movie I lowered my expectations a bit just in case, since I liked the first one, but thought it was a total cheese-fest. Spidey 2 completely owns every single superhero movie out there, even Burton's Batman. It improved everything that was flimsy about the first one, even the CG effects. I left the theater with a smylex impression on my face, from ear to ear.

My favorite scene by far has to be Doc Ock's "rebirth" at the hospital. Classic Army of Darkness/Darkman Raimi style camera work, it was beautiful, those of you who watch it tonight will see. Reminded me of the "It's a trick, get an ax" scene in Army of Darkness.

Aunt May was a bit over the top, especially with the $20 bit, but every other character was greatly done. I hope they keep James Franco as Harry Osbourne for the third film, he nailed the cocky, rich asshole guy role to a T.

Something I noticed......

when Spidey lost his powers, it seems he also lost his physique. When he was walking in slo-mo to "Raindrops keep falling" he was scrawny looking again

aparisi2274

Well I just got back. All I have to say is HOLY FUCK!!!! Now that is the way you make a superhero movie. Batman, Superman, FUCK THEM!!!!! This movie had an amazing storyline, awesome SFX, an ending that makes me sit here counting the days until Spidey 3.

I think that
harry may go the route of the GG, but he wont be the central villan. I think it might be something he tries to get back at Spiderman, but he wont be able to control his feeling for Pete, and then might help with say a Venom character, or if there are 2 villans, Harry can help out.

Venom
is my choice for the Spidey 3 villan.

The only bad thing is, after the 3rd movie is made, the original cast doesnt want to make anymore, and I hope they dont. They should not saturate the market like the WB did with Superman and Batman. Look at how those franchises turned out. Spiderman is the first Superhero movie where the filmmakers dont treat the fans like idiots, and I thank them for that. That is why they cant let this series get all campy and run itself into the ground.

Anyway, I need to see this movie at least 2 more times.

evil ways

Hero said:
So is Harry/GGII going to be the central villain in Spidey 3? I really don't want to go back to a GG villain. Definitely lame after all the awesome Doc Ock. fights. Venom would be awesome though.

Edit:

What was with the chocolate cake scene?

Girl wanted Peter to tap her russian(?) ass, Spidey style.

Ryu

I think the cake scene was just to illustrate what Peter can do with his time after dropping the Spider-Man routine. Just another little thing he never could have done while webslinging all over the city.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Bowser said:
Woo, I didn't read any of this thread, but I got tix to the 7:00 showing tonight! Hell yeah!

I'm going to see it tonight at 7:00pm with my friend and my sister.

The train scene was pure sex! The audience responded awesomely to some of the stuff that went down w/ it.

Besides the great action, the movie was also surprisingly funny and sad at the same time. I think the movie did an excellent job in evoking emotion from the audience.

Great movie!

aparisi2274

Its funny, as I watched that train scene, I had to laugh, because since I am NY'er, that train line doesnt exist anywhere in the city. I mean there are tracks, and there is an EL in Manhattan, but it covered over with weeds and grass. I am pretty sure its the old west side line. Either way, still great scene.

Mairu

I went yesterday with 3 other friends to one of the three midnight showings and loved it. I can't wait for it to be rereleased in IMAX so I can see it at the metreon. Molina was great as Doc Ock and I didn't think he would make the character seem that cool, I never really liked him in the cartoons. It was much better than the first movie, but I still didn't like a couple things:
1) Some of the CG for Spider-Man himself in the beginning wasn't too great
2) Some parts seemed a little too familiar from the first one.

I really hope Spider-Man 3 has a villain other than Harry as the Green Goblin (II). They left a lot of things open so it seems like it's very possible that we'll get someone else to go along with him.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
On a related Spiderman note, this is going to be released:

spidey.jpg

I can't wait to rewatch the events of Spidey from the planet Spider and has a giant robot named Leopard ;)

spiderman4.jpg

Hell ya!

still02.jpg
still03.jpg
still04.jpg
still01.jpg

Paradox

Holy shit was that greatttt! I still cant decide if its better then X2 though.

10/10

I am for one just SO SO SO happy they dident end it like the 1st one with peter and MJ. Having her find out Peter was Spider man and her run off during the wedding scene made me very pleased.

Now im gonna go see it again this weekend for sure :)

ACE

I don't understand all the love in this thread - it was a good but not great film. The last 15 minutes was good though

shuri

Banned
Dunst's acting was so bad, she looked wasted through the whole movie. It's a good summer flick, I dont think it was worthy of all the praise. But it's definitely a good movie. I dont think I'll watch it again when it comes out on dvd. IT was the same thing with the first one. Once you seen it, there's very little to come back to for a second viewing

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
ACE said:
I don't understand all the love in this thread - it was a good but not great film. The last 15 minutes was good though

Despite what that bum on the corner told you, crack does NOT do a body good. :D

borghe

lol.. some of the qualifications in this thread are great

it's all right.. I mean I enjoyed it.. but if I had to watch it again to get myself saved off of a deserted island I would probably end up starving.

geez people, it's not that hard, either you liked it or you didn't.. no need to back peddle your way through a simple review to avoid being flamed by either side.

on that note I just saw it again (took my daighter to see it this time). My daighter's verbatim review is "That was WAAAYYY better than the other one." And she has watched the first one probably 50 times. Literally.

I thought as much as it kicked and dominated complete ass the first time, it was even better the second time...

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I saw it at Midnight last night, and I'm going immediately after work tomorrow (being up for 36 hours, I'm just too tired to see it again tonight).

It surpasses the original Superman. It's PERFECT. Superman had things to complain and nitpick about in terms of a comic book movie. Namely, Otis, "Can you read my mind?", and the whole retarded "lets spin the world the other way around to go back in time!" thing. Spidey 2 has NOTHING like that. It isn't like watching an adapation of a Spider-Man comic, it's like watching the actual thing up there in live action.

So what if I'm biased because Doc Ock is my favorite Spidey villain. The movie was the best comic book movie ever made. Better than Superman, better than X-Men, better than X2, and much better than the first movie. Millar and Gough (Smallville) did a great job putting together the story, and they had better get them on Spidey 3 or it'll be a stupid mistake. Those guys are like Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, but for live-action superheroes.

My favorite parts:

Alex Ross' opening credits.

Seeing Doc Ock just walking around on those awesome mechanical arms.

The snooty usher!

"My back! My back!"

The great "Marvels" moment on the train after the bulk of the fight.

The look on MJ's face when she sees Spidey unmasked.

Ock's "redemption" at the end.

"Go get em Tiger"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom