• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The OFFICIAL Spider-Man® 2 THREAD. REVIEWS. ALL SPIDEY-RELATED EVENTS. EVERYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Wow. For a non-holiday weekday opening that is pretty awesome. I wonder if Spider-Man 2 will do $100+ million this weekend.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Matlock said:
Well,
the power on his tentacles went off, and they charged off of his spinal column. ;P

Again, this means nothing. They're still there, physically and so is he.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Matlock said:
Spider-Man 2 > Titanic!

Don't doubt, Shinobi!

Nothing can beat Titanic! Not even Spider-Man! And that's saying a lot, since this sequel is riding a waive of hype, the success of the original and is currently the highest rated wide release this year. And it still won't best that blasted ship!

Meier

Tinseltown 17

1210 Sold Out 600 seater
1225 Sold Out 600 seater

10:00 / SOLD OUT / 300 seater
10:25 / 65 % sold / 600 seater
10:40 / 60 % sold / 300
12:00 / 50 % sold / 600
1:00 / SOLD OUT / 300
1:25 / SOLD OUT / 600
1:50 / SOLD OUT / 300
3:29 / SOLD OUT / 600
4:10 / SOLD OUT / 300
4:35 / SOLD OUT / 600
5:00 / SOLD OUT / 300
7:00 / SOLD OUT / 600
7:25 / SOLD OUT / 300
7:45 / SOLD OUT / 600
8:10 / SOLD OUT / 300

10:10 was 60 % full at 815 when i left

From a fella who works there on the Box Office Mojo forums. Dayum.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Loved the movie. Few things though.

Thought the middle was a little boring, almost forgot doc ock was there after the bank robery. But the character development was nice. Glad they don't even make us wonder about villan for the 3rd movie, Glad they settles teh MJ party, angsty-spiderman was getting on my nervs.

Guess the villan for the 3rd movie isn't all obvious. The villan might turn out to be the one guy in new york who doesn't know who spiderman really is yet :p

neptunes

aparisi2274 said:

kraven.jpg

neptunes

That hunter who tries to hunt and kill spiderman. (ever watched the fox animated series?)

he once imitated spiderman and got the real one angry IIRC.

Drensch

I did not like spider-man. I had a lot of problems with it that, no matter what, couldn't be fixed for a second movie. Ignoring all of those problems, I thought Spider-Man 2 looked cool in the trailers.

Goodin S2: Much like the last movie, the make-up and Costumes rocked. As did the look of Dock Ock's arms.
The Train scene.

Bad:
I thought two was as bad if not worse than the first. At least Spider-man had more than a cameo in the first movie. They should have just called it Peter Parker instead of Spider-Man 2. Or even better Peter Parker: the spectacularly whiny bitch! The whole MJ thing was a utter bore. The whole losing powers angle, sometimes he has them, sometimes not. That was horrible, had he just a crisis of character, I'd buy that. Molina was wasted, they had that horrible exposition scene stright out of a old Star Trek: "Things in my...Mind..." The anthropomorphization of the arms, the hissing and shit. The fact that they acted like the arms weighed like a dinosaur or something, they had infinite power etc. AFAIK, Dock Ock has no powers outside of the arms, yet Spider-Man who can throw cars and shit, can punch him repeatedly. Secret Identity?, why bother?

It wasn't Matrix 2, but certainly isn't good.

Pachinko

This movie ruled man. Much better then the first and I loved the way it all ended. The 3rd movie seems to have an easy villian or does it ?

Matlock

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
Thats a great pic, but who is he in the Spiderman universe?

Kraven the Hunter is a lame 2nd stringer Spidey villain who buries Spider-Man alive, makes a copy of his costume, "becomes the Spider" for a while (one of the scenes from here inspired the rainy rescue from the original film), then Spider-Man comes back...Kraven feels he's done everything, then blows his brains out with a shotgun.

Uninspired tale, but made him more than just another goon.

Jak140

Spiderman 2 was really good, not the best film this year, but still, it was awesome. I guess I can see how some might not like it--it doesn't really do anything new or surprising as a film, but what it does do, it does really well. What I don't understand is how anyone could be bored at anytime during the movie; some of you guys must have ADD.

GG-Duo

1.) Opening credits = lovely.
2.) Great humor.
3.) The characters were kind of drab :( overall it was too melancholy.
4.) I noticed how ... neat the script is. Everything is very logical and neatly packed together.
5.) Poor John Jameson.
6.) Awesome action sequences.

I hope the characters can be cheerier in the 3rd movie. I hope to see a clear "Spider-man" (and not Peter Parker) persona in the 3rd film... this one is still essentially about the young & weak Peter Parker.

Ryu

Me, my gf, and her sister arrived at the theatre today for their first and my second screening of the film. We arrived at 3.40 and planned to catch a 4.30 showing but could only get tickets for the 5.30 showing as the 4, 4.30, and 5 o'clock showings were totaly sold out.

Just got back from the movie.....HOLY CRAP!!! IT ROCKED!!! I loved the first one, but this one blew it away in every aspect. The story was better, the dialog lacked a large amount of the cheesiness the first one had, and Doc Oc was a much cooler villain than the Goblin (not to mention he was awesomely done).

And the fight scenes, good gravy, the fight scenes!!! Best fight scenes in a movie...EVER!!! Spider-Man was much much closer to the comic version this time around, in that he could dish out, and take much more abuse.

Without a doubt, I'm gonna have to go see this one again.

Seth C

Matlock said:
Well,
the power on his tentacles went off, and they charged off of his spinal column. ;P

Could easily have
backup power. It took them several hours to bring him back after the electrocution. They can bring back Ock if they want to, definitely. Just like they can bring back Goblin, only this time as Harry.

Seth C

neptunes said:
In the comic book Kraven kills himself right?

Yes. Kraven's Last Hunt. After "killing" Spider-Man, he buries him alive outside his mansion. Peter wakes up to find spiders crawling all over his body. He pulls himself up from the ground just in time to get inside and see Kraven standing against a coffin with a gun to his mouth. Kraven pulls the trigger and falls back in to the coffin.

Peter pretty much goes crazy after this, as detailed in the awesome "I Am Spider" story arc. If you don't just love Spider-Man after reading those two stories, there's no hope for you.

Seth C

Drensch said:
I did not like spider-man. I had a lot of problems with it that, no matter what, couldn't be fixed for a second movie. Ignoring all of those problems, I thought Spider-Man 2 looked cool in the trailers.

Goodin S2: Much like the last movie, the make-up and Costumes rocked. As did the look of Dock Ock's arms.
The Train scene.

Bad:
I thought two was as bad if not worse than the first. At least Spider-man had more than a cameo in the first movie. They should have just called it Peter Parker instead of Spider-Man 2. Or even better Peter Parker: the spectacularly whiny bitch! The whole MJ thing was a utter bore. The whole losing powers angle, sometimes he has them, sometimes not. That was horrible, had he just a crisis of character, I'd buy that. Molina was wasted, they had that horrible exposition scene stright out of a old Star Trek: "Things in my...Mind..." The anthropomorphization of the arms, the hissing and shit. The fact that they acted like the arms weighed like a dinosaur or something, they had infinite power etc. AFAIK, Dock Ock has no powers outside of the arms, yet Spider-Man who can throw cars and shit, can punch him repeatedly. Secret Identity?, why bother?

It wasn't Matrix 2, but certainly isn't good.

It's pretty obvious you don't read the comics at this point. Most of your complaints are issues that come straight from them.
Spider-Man has always had to lay a beating to Doc Ock to get him on the ground. Always. Most recently in Spectacular Spider-Man, just a few issues back. He's putting his hands together into a fist and just throwing his weight in to punches. The problem is, as always, he rarely gets more than 1-2 punches in before he gets thrown across a room by a tentacle. His arms are as strong as he makes them. After each fight with Spider-Man he generally goes back to work and makes them even stronger. Recently he claims they are several times stronger than Spider-Man himself.

As for the movie being about Peter? Well, yeah, that's part of his identity, too. That was the beautiful thing about the comics, and the movie brought it out wonderfully. Peter Parker is as important a part of Spider-Man as Spider-Man is a part of Peter. They want to show you that anyone else in that costume just would not be Spider-Man, and Peter Parker just couldn't be himself without being Spider-Man. It is his never-ending struggle. Yes, he can be whiney, but that's just part of his character. Always has been. Sometimes he's a little pissed with the "burden" that's been placed on him. He usually lets out that frustration through his wise-cracking as Spider-Man. Sometimes it comes out while he's Peter, and then he comes off as whiney. That's the character. Don't like it? You don't like Spider-Man then. It's not an issue with the movie.

This movie was very much about Peter though. I assume the movie are effectively...

1. Spider-Man
2. Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man
3. Amazing Spider-Man

This one had a strong focus on Peter. The next one probably won't.

pollo said:
i walked out during the first half.
It sucked up until what I saw...though I missed the train scene, and I was unimpressed with everybody's acting. Doc OC looked pretty cool - but his character development scene was horribly contrived and on soo many different levels of bad that it completely ruined him.

Newsflash: You're an ass

Sorry mods, but someone had to say it.

Seth C

Matlock said:
It was the ultimate film! An amazing spectacle that entangled me in its web! A startling story that has you hooked from the first frame!

Toby as Peter Parker was spectacular! Kirsten as Mary Jane was sensational!

You have to love the webshooters, which are the mark of true swingers! What about Peter unmasked?

Unlimited entertainment that'll stay through you, a true blue classic that will still be remembered in 2099!

Giant-sized fights with the maximum carnage allowed on screen in a PG-13 film! Untold tales set up!

This universe of Marvel films will make for a treasury of a home theatre collection, with many including the deadly foes of Spider-Man! This is the Marvel age!

An essential film that must not be missed, True Believers! Excelsior!

I think I'm only seeing 18 or 19.

1. Ultimate
2. Amazing
3. Spectacle
4. Entangled/tangled
5. Web
6. Startling
7. Spectacular
8. Sensational
9. Unmasked
10. Unlimited
11. Blue
12. 2099
13. Giant-size
14. Maximum Carnage
15. Untold Tales
16. Treasury
17. Deadly Foes
18. Marvel Age
19. Essential

Maybe you're counting web shooter and slingers as 20? Or "true believers" which I think was part of Stan Lee's opening.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I have to chime in with people calling Kraven's Last Hunt uninspired.. If you are really calling it that, you obviously haven't read it in a LOOONG time.. Among most comic historians (and not solely spidey fans) KLH is generally considered the second greatest spidey story arc ever told only second to the death of gwen stacy... The arc had very little to do with Kraven, and even at the end of it he was still just a second stringer. It's purpose was to show Spider-Man's place in the world and why "no one could ever replace him." Overall it was a fantastic story backed by Mike Zeck for some absolutely gorgeous art.

If you have never read it before, go buy the TPB. If you have read it a long time ago and weren't that impressed, read it again now that you are a few years older. An amazing story by J.M. DeMatteis.

pollo

Banned
Ok guys i have a secret...

I walked out cause I had to have breakup sex with my ex.
The movie wasn't THAT bad, I thought everything else was fine =/.
And I would have stayed and probably had a better opinion of it given that I saw the worst parts of the movie =/
And BTW Doc OC WAS pretty bad. Going from "You should only use technology for the good of human kind parker" to "I will go get money to build my machine" within a 15 minute span? errrr...If that isn't bad development I dont know what is =|
But I feel Peter Parker's pain...now that was good development. Freakin eh come to think of it Ive caught a case of the same shit the past week...no money to pay bills (had to get mom to wire me 200 bucks), girl problems, shitty landlord, my tighty wighties riding up my crotch....

Willco

Hollywood Square
pollo said:
And BTW Doc OC WAS pretty bad. Going from "You should only use technology for the good of human kind parker" to "I will go get money to build my machine" within a 15 minute span? errrr...If that isn't bad development I dont know what is

Uh, that's not really bad development. His wife kinda got killed and his arms completely fried in the span of those fifteen minutes. Really. You suck.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Man what an awesome film, i thought the first one was over hyped so i didnt expect good things from the sequel but it was incredible.

JJ was hilarious "Tell her not to open the caviar" had me crying with laughter, for some reason i also found all the crap PP had to take damn funny to watch.

The action was so much better than the first, in the first film he just got beat up untill the GG killed himself, if the hero had just been a punching bag, it would have ended up the same way. This time we got to see spiderman kicking some ass for a change and it was all great to watch.

I loved all the stories going on, except maybe harrys, before Doc Ock came along it seemed that all he wanted was to find spiderman, but in two years he'd never actually tried doing anything except looking at his newspaper cuttings.

My only real complaint about the film was that i thought that
The final harry scene should have ended with him breaking the mirror, the finding of the goblins secret lair was a step too far for this movie, it felt like the start of the next movie

As for the third one..

I do think harry as the green goblin would be a bit lame as a single villan, even though it would be a good chance to show how much stronger spiderman is now by having him fight his first enemy again. It'd also be a neat conclusion to the story if the cast wants to quit after 3.

They'll have to put something else in though, i dont know much about the comics so i wouldnt know who, Spawn would be cool but thats a big enough story to fill a lot more than a supporting villan role. I guess they could go the Lizard route, as that story probably suits a side roll better as it'd be more abot helping connors than defeating the lizard. I dunno how well that'd turn out on screen though, and im not sure the actor they have for connors really suits it.

Cant wait to see what they do.

Willco

Hollywood Square
The current speculation is that the villain(s) for Spider-Man 3 will be...

The Lizard and The Green Goblin, so Raimi and Co. can wrap up their trilogy and quit. Although, Raimi has been opposed to doing Spidey 4 less and less, I still feel it's rather unlikely. For my money, that ending was awesome, simply because it felt just like a comic book cliffhanger, so you know that the next story arc is just an issue away.

Also...

Dylan Baker is an awesome choice for Doc Connors! Doc Connors could never physically beat Spider-Man and it's not like the actor would actually fight Spidey. The Lizard would probably be CG and combination of makeup with a stunt actor. I could easily see that working.

borghe

that WAS the point of Doc Ock.. the fact that he WAS such a nice guy, genius, caring, etc.. and the loss of his wife and failure of his experiment started putting him over the edge and the inhibitor chip getting fried making him more susceptible to the "voices" in his head. Played out with his redemption at the end Doc Ock was 1000000000 times more developed than GG in the first one.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I really think the Green Goblin was a more evil villain, but Doc Ock was a far more menacing villain who could actually hurt Spider-Man without him chasing a [skylift] full of kids and some such crap.

I mean, I know he defeated a weakened Spider-Man, but even at full strength, he put up way more of a fight than the 'ole mean Greenie and landed a good deal of blows.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Willco said:
I mean, I know he defeated a weakened Spider-Man, but even at full strength, he put up way more of a fight than the 'ole mean Greenie and landed a good deal of blows.

Are you talking about towards the end, when he knocked Spidey out & took him to Harry's? I think Spidey was faking it -- I think he was hoping Doc Oc would bring him to where Mary Jane was. Remember -- as soon as Harry took off Spidey's mask, he was wide awake, jumped up, busted the barbed wire like it was nothing, and asked "Where's MJ"?

Willco

Hollywood Square
SteveMeister said:
Are you talking about towards the end, when he knocked Spidey out & took him to Harry's? I think Spidey was faking it -- I think he was hoping Doc Oc would bring him to where Mary Jane was. Remember -- as soon as Harry took off Spidey's mask, he was wide awake, jumped up, busted the barbed wire like it was nothing, and asked "Where's MJ"?

No, I don't think he was faking it. I'm pretty sure when he woke up and it's not like he immediately jumped to his (there was a noticeable delay), he got a shot of adrenaline by seeing his best-friend there holding a knife in disgust/confusion/sadness/anger. I mean, I would. It'd be like getting knocked unconscious in a car accident with family members. The first thing you do is jump up and ask where family is, even though you were previously knocked out.

borghe

agreed.. don't think he was faking it..

as for him beating a weakened spider-man.. umm.. not really.. spider-man was weakened because of the fight with Doc Ock.. that's what I call winning.. yup.. Doc Ock BEAT spider-man.. GG didn't..

I do agree that GG was more evil though.. no question..
and Dafoe's appearance at the end got a HUGE cheer from the audience.. even my 4 year old daughter...
lol.. I just didn't think they fleshed out Norman very well... he started out an inch away from being a dick and ended up being a backstabbing villain.. not too much motivation except for greed.. kind of shallow.. I thought for what they needed him for he did an excellent job in both being peter's foil and fleshing out peter parker.. but doc ock was definitely the better villain...

Willco

Hollywood Square
Hey, did anyone notice that Dunst did the NIPPLE thing, again? I wonder if Raimi does it on purpose.

Had to chime in.

Fantastic movie. Going to be watching it again. I did feel it was a bit slow in parts but hell, the awesome rush of seeing the action sequences just made it really worthwhile. And yes... I did get teary. :'( :D Great movie. Not many people in the cinema got Bruce Campbell where I watched it but I was amused to hell and back. The movie is very very well done and I'm sure I'll be watching the DVD over and over and over again.

1) The hospital scene.. while cheesy.. I was actually frightened a bit. Very intense and graphic in parts

2) Lift scene. OMG HI FUCKING LARIOUS

3) Entire Fight scene ---> Train. AWESOME

4) Web + MJ + TObey's Ass = teh sex :D

5) Raindrop sequence. BRILLIANT

6) The 1st Oct/May/Spidey sequence. BRILLIANT

7) No one's mentioned this but fuck... all the Peter Parker falling down sequences were great. You could really feel the pain. The sequence where he lands on the car.. and then set of the alarm. OUCH.

bonus) Great performances all round. Tobey was inspired and I really liked him as Spidey. He was fantastic with his face. see 5) The one bit I found distracting... was the actor who played Parker's tutor. After Happiness... its VERY HARD to look at him with a straight face (which goes to show how good he was) Dunst was a tad trying in this film; I thought. Her "acting" sequences were very painful. She did however redeem herself with "THE" Look and the webby sequence.

borghe

two favorite parts of the movie:

The Look

"Isn't it about time somebody saved your life?" I almost sobbed like a baby...

bonus third favorite part: "Go get 'em Tiger." The loudest cheer in the audience by far. How could you not go numb at that.

This movie is exactly what it's like when all of your fantasies of the perfect superhero movie come true...

borghe

the only thing I can figure is that was the turning point.. up to that point, everything bad happened to him. It was basically the turning poiunt with "Good things can happen to him." I will admit it was a bit disjaunting, but that's how I took it.. kind of like "Okay okay okay.. things don't ALWAYS go bad for him.."

also, did anyone else notice that the crumbs on the plates were yellow cake??!? LOL!!!!!!

borghe said:
the only thing I can figure is that was the turning point.. up to that point, everything bad happened to him. It was basically the turning poiunt with "Good things can happen to him." I will admit it was a bit disjaunting, but that's how I took it.. kind of like "Okay okay okay.. things don't ALWAYS go bad for him.."

also, did anyone else notice that the crumbs on the plates were yellow cake??!? LOL!!!!!!

lol. I noticed that. I just thought she had something different.

Desperado

Was I the only one that thought they were spoofing Godzilla [US] when they go to the shot of the woman in the office, and then the stomps/tremors? In fact I was getting Godzilla vibes every time I heard Dock Ock stompin around. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom