• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox, Nintendo, and Sony won't be a part of E3 2023

VAVA Mk2

The Big 3 when asked why they are ignoring their fans:

Dw7rOxB.gif

sainraja

It got cancelled last year. Xbox did their own thing then....same with Nintendo. I believe Sony had an event sometime around then as well.

yurinka

Nothing new under the sun, but I think all 3 will have a big stream around the E3 days.

Hopefully the most viewed one (Sony's conference) of them is at the same day and hour of the Vulture Game Fest, that streaming about Korean F2P games, mobile games, uninteresting generic AA games and Facebook PR/diversity ads.

The disgusting Doritos Pope as always tweets promoting his stream minutes after any remotely bad E3 news. All ESA members, meaning all the main game publishers with presence in USA, should start dropping their support to the Summer Doritos Fest and Doritos Awards events.

Last edited:

Pelta88

It was on it's way out. Disorganisation and letting anyone and everyone who showed up into the building. Then covid came, which although out of the headlines, is still running rampant. Given how much money is invested into these studios, I'm sure some don't want to run the risk.

Knightime_X

Without e3, game announcements lose ALL the hype.
Might as well let the fucking lunch lady announce games.

🙄

Last edited:

yurinka

yeah, Microsoft is basically part of E3 without paying the E3 guys any money...
just have a both directly next to it, basically having the same effect and maybe even a more visible and bigger presence as well, all while spending less money as well compared to paying into E3
Yes. MS, like any major game publisher with presence in USA, is a member of ESA. So they put money to make the E3.

But in the case of MS, instead of having their booth inside the E3 venue they use a nearby building, because I assume must be way cheaper for them.
Without e3, game announcements lose ALL the hype.
Might as well let the fucking lunch lady announce games.

🙄
Even if the console makers don't have a booth inside the E3 building they still can have their conference/big stream around this day with big announcements, as they did other years.

Last edited:

Banned
Yes. MS, like any major game publisher with presence in USA, is a member of ESA. So they put money to make the E3.

that's true, but I'm pretty sure they would need to pay even more to actually have a booth inside the convention center. so not doing that is saving them a lot of money I bet, while also not being limited by it

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Terrible. Guess we have to live with endless blog posts, tweets and crappy state of plays.

Rest in peace showcases. The industry will never see another live showcase ever again.

I dont know who I blame more for this, Sony or Nintendo.

Smfh

Big_Dude

Neo Member
Terrible. Guess we have to live with endless blog posts, tweets and crappy state of plays.

Rest in peace showcases. The industry will never see another live showcase ever again.

I dont know who I blame more for this, Sony or Nintendo.

Smfh
Blame Covid-19 it made the big 3 realize they don’t need E3 anymore.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If E3 wasn't dead before, it certainly is now lol
If this is true its finally dead. What a sad waste. Summer Game Fest fucking sucks.

If it means Xbox still does a show at the same time of the same style and Nintendo does the same direct and treehouse from their own building then fine. Still a waste.

Last edited:
I want to pour one out for E3. I remember the booth babes, loud music, and stage demos that didn't always work properly.

But most of all, I remember the hype that comes from concentrating a years worth of news into a few days.

nush

Blame Covid-19 it made the big 3 realize they don’t need E3 anymore.

Those trade shows are a grift for the organizers, format holders are a bigger brand than E3 so they don't need them. They can just stream during E3 week and get the same exposure with reduced costs.

I think Microsoft was still going to go ahead with an E3 show this year until they saw how well their developer-direct show was received last week. More events like that and a few more shadow drops will make it all worthwhile imo.

CLW

How long has it been since Sony did a BIG e3 style presentation? I don’t care no one goes to the actual conference but I always enjoyed knowing/watching the big presentation laying out what was coming “soon”

that's fucking lame. Quit thinking you're so special and want your own event. I miss the days of who won e3 and it was an event everyone was excited about. Now you'll just notice a couple new game trailers on a random day and you're like oh I guess it was the Treehouse thing today.

Robb

Gold Member
raccoon-cute.gif

Nothing left for me if that’s the case.

But all three will likely have some kind of event alongside it so it’ll probably be a fun time anyway. Although it was nice back in the day when they all went all out on the same week. Felt a lot more exciting and competitive.

jm89

Nothing will match the hype levels of e3. But I found the vast majority of conferences could never live upto the hype. Probably our fault though with the crazy hype trains we had going.

I'll miss the extravaganza off having alot of publishers under one roof and just an entire week of nonstop gaming news. Summer game fest I guess somewhat scratches that itch.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It was on it's way out. Disorganisation and letting anyone and everyone who showed up into the building. Then covid came, which although out of the headlines, is still running rampant.

Finally someone says it. E3 was ground zero for covid. We were all thinking it.

Alkemyst

Damn. This is effectively a death knell for E3. I always loved E3 and would get hyped for all the conferences.

End of an era.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The disgusting Doritos Pope as always tweets promoting his stream minutes after any remotely bad E3 news. All ESA members, meaning all the main game publishers with presence in USA, should start dropping their support to the Summer Doritos Fest and Doritos Awards events.

preach GIF

Power Pro

E3 really was a magical time and I really don't get people who are happy to see it die.
Always just seemed like the people most happy to see it die are game "journalists" who got to attend, and wanted an excuse to do less work and still get paid. Boo hoo, how dare you have to go to this event that most of your audience wished they could attend.

Ronin_7

Banned
Was a matter of time.

Everyone will do their own thing at their own pace.

Can't imagine the pressure on Developers to have something ready to e3 back in the day... Yikes.

Ozriel

M$FT
What be point of that if e3 is dead lol

Are you asking me what’s the point of doing a gaming showcase?

I think Microsoft was still going to go ahead with an E3 show this year until they saw how well their developer-direct show was received last week. More events like that and a few more shadow drops will make it all worthwhile imo.

They’re still going ahead with an ‘E3’ type show this year in June

I knew that vulture would jump on it with his tweets when this broke.
Man can’t hide his desperation to completely corner the market.

Lasha

Direct style videos are my preferred format. Watching poor public speakers play along to a corporate produced script was always tiresome. I'm much happier with a tight direct followed by live streams of big games that elaborate on what was shown.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Watching poor public speakers play along to a corporate produced script was always tiresome.
That is at least part of the joy, imo. E3 used to be a high wire act. The excitement came from not knowing if/when they'd fall to their deaths with one fluffed line, a mistimed joke or a terribly misjudged bit of theatre/anticlimactic spectacle like Ravi Drums.

Sadly, I suspect those days are gone forever now. So raise your glasses and flip your giant enemy crabs with me for one last time as we salute the massive damage.

Last edited:

Lasha

That is at least part of the joy, imo. E3 used to be a high wire act. The excitement came from not knowing if/when they'd fall to their deaths with one fluffed line a mistimed joke or a terribly misjudged bit of theatre/anticlimactic spectacle like Ravi Drums.

I suspect those days are gone forever now. So raise your glasses and flip your giant enemy crabs with me for one last time as we salute the massive damage.

You brought a tear to my eye.

supernova8

Banned
The funny thing is, all three of them will still do their own thing during E3 Week. But MS will probable do things at the Microsoft Theater.
Exactly there is no longer any reason for them to pay money to E3 or be beholden to E3's scheduling.

Still, it's a shame. I miss the live shows with multiple fuck-ups. My favorites include:

1) When Battlefield 4 glitched/crashed during the live show
2) The awkward audience reaction when Phil Spencer announced pricing for the Xbox One
3) Don Mattrick's meltdown during his interviews with Dorito Keighley

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Makes sense.. why pay to be apart of something when you get just as much coverage doing your own thing?

hemo memo

Gold Member
lmao then what is the fucking point?
Games in one specific time of year in a short period easy to follow and not the random whenever we feel like it - we have our own deadline - guess the date approach. Summer Fest Disaster proved that this new timeline of drip feed announcements is stupid for both consumers and journalists to follow. Announcements over 3+ months? Are you kidding me!!

Yeah bring E3 back please.

winjer

Gold Member
We don't need E3 anymore. It's a waste of money and resources, that can be directed to actually making games.
Companies just need to release the trailers on youtube and be done with it.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Hate to say it (as I loved E3) but I'm thinking it's because of COVID. Sucks huge ass but, so long as they throw out another [Direct] style show for games, I'll be there.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Oh god so we're getting more of those shitty 40min mini game dumps with a piece of chicken and a shit ton of veggies that no one likes instead of one big show with all the meat.
You still get the piece of chicken and shit ton of veggies though. Just, like, buffet style!

Eat your fucking veggies, bro!

Top Bottom