• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox, Nintendo, and Sony won't be a part of E3 2023

Roufianos

I mean, I can't really blame the publishers. They can host their own event at the same time, without the fees that comes with the E3 branding, as MS are doing.

The problem is Sony aren't interesting in a like for like replacement. Instead we get pretentious Wired articles and shitty blog posts.

Almost a year and a half without a Showcase.

Just imagine how unfavorable the offered terms must’ve been for all three platform holders to pass this early on. Ouch!

Like Phil alluded to in the IGN interview, they can all just do their own event in June and call it whatever they want. It does suck to not have everyone together for that week, though. Under one roof. But I guess times change…

Last edited:
So I might be an outlier here, but I prefer all that news in one week rather than 4 or 5 different gaming shows that are equally inadequate. The presenters on these things are usually fucking awful too and these shows get spoiled by ‘industry insiders’.

Gaming is fucking gross these days.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
We don't need E3 anymore. It's a waste of money and resources, that can be directed to actually making games.
Companies just need to release the trailers on youtube and be done with it.
Companies don’t want that so they can’t be pressured into a deadline. This only benefits the companies as for us E3 is a better method as we get all announcements in a weeks instead of months and stupid fake insiders left and right claiming different dates for different events. If is fucking hectic. E3 is far far far better.

If so, they should just cancel it like they did last year. there’s no point in it if none of the platform holders are going to be there.

Rockstar and EA already don’t go, and haven’t for many years. Activision‘s not gonna do anything until the acquisition is closed.

I don’t think with Ubisoft and maybe some other publishers that there’s enough to justify an E3.

Like everybody needs to participate like 2018 and before, or there’s just no point in E3 at all.

Last edited:

SiahWester

Only the video game industry has this much disdain for their fans. This is the one fucking event we have in the year and they continue to skip it year after year. Amazing.

They do show up at CES to jerk off tech journalists and car nerds, but one event for fans of gaming? Nah, give those users some trashy 20 minute state of plays and directs.

Right? I mean this is gonna have a negative effect whether these companies realize it or not. So much hype is generated from E3 which helps sales and interaction with the product. Doing your own little event online just doesn't have the same weight.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Right? I mean this is gonna have a negative effect whether these companies realize it or not. So much hype is generated from E3 which helps sales and interaction with the product. Doing your own little event online just doesn't have the same weight.
It already has. Software Sales were down across the board last year.

The whole point of E3 and why most of us love the concept and remember it fondly, as do many in the media and certain publishers like Xbox, Nintendo, etc, is because everyone was all together, and it was the one chance for people across organizations to meet with one another. The way things are now, there is no opportunity for impromptu meetings to happens, outside of maybe the Game Awards, but that's on a much smaller scale. E3 was a tentpole. It doesn't work if major players don't participate. E3 suffered when Sony started not appearing in 2019 and 2021.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
E3 was great for gamers. No one else. So I get why it’s a fossil. These companies don’t care about gamers. Well, Phil Spencer does, obviously. That’s a given.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU
First post nails my reaction.

Ecotic

There was a total immaturity to the E3's of old that's just gone out of fashion I guess. There were booth babes, console fanboyism gone amuk, and mega threads with endless reaction gifs. Taken altogether, it was a wonderful event to just take leave of your senses for a few days and indulge in marketing hype and logical fallacies.

NickFire

There was a total immaturity to the E3's of old that's just gone out of fashion I guess. There were booth babes, console fanboyism gone amuk, and mega threads with endless reaction gifs. Taken altogether, it was a wonderful event to just take leave of your senses for a few days and indulge in marketing hype and logical fallacies.
All of that is still in fashion as long as the fun police (and maybe Kotaku and Polygon) aren't around.

Another random thought. The booth babes would still be there if no one convinced a couple dudes they could finally get the booth babes by getting them fired for their honor.

Yoboman

The concept of a gigantic money filled press show for games is irrelevent in 2023. It was irrelevent in 2013 if we are being honest

Publishers are far more effective at speaking directly to the consumer than relying on press outlets

E3 had already transformed into consumer facing conferences some 15 years ago

The original purpose E3 had was a big trade show, most of it was behind doors. Publishers could show new games to build hype, get feedback from journalists (literally old school way of play testing) and get industry updates, sales updates etc. in pretty low key conferences

These days demos are expensive to make, journalists really don't have a big role in the promotion process, it slowly transformed into a place to drop a teaser trailers, and it became all about the massive event style pre E3 conferences.

All that said it was a lot of fun for us as consumers. I hope something does replace it that is more like a Comic con. Make it about fandoms, meeting the artists and voice actors etc.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I think everyone here remembers (and misses) the old E3, when it was the most hyped gaming moment of the year.
Yep, honestly fuck sony, microsoft, and nintendo for killing it. Their bullshit drip feed “wE nEeD to Be tHe ConVersAtion” not willing to share the spotlight has killed most of my excitement for upcoming games. All this industry is is silence, delays announced on a shitty tweet, and occasionally a game that is either broken or incomplete

TLZ

Banned
They don't need to. E3 started during a different time. Companies needed such expos back then for exposures, meetings, etc.

Now everything is digital and much easier. Also cuts unnecessary costs when everything can be done online.

Tams

1. E3 is just another trade show. It was never really meant for Joe Public (CES still keeps most of theirs closed-off and only really let the public in because they were flagging too).
    1. E3 used to be closed to the public too. And even then it still managed to be cringey half the time.
  2. Unlike the tech industry as a whole, gaming doesn't really need the backroom/hotel suite deals that these trade shows offer. They can just send an email, Slack/Zoom/Teams, or publicly twat it out there.
  3. It clearly cost exhibitors far too much for little in return, especially now they can show off their products when they choose.
  4. It was always cringey and a bit shit.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looks like everyone followed Nintendo’s lead. Why share the stage when you can have the focus all to yourself I guess.

Wouldn’t mind having the booth babes back though.

anothertech

It's been like this for ... A decade tho?

They all have their own summer showcases, far away from E3, but usually the same week lol

Hopefully all 3 still have long showcases around that same timeframe, really sucks knowing we'll never go back to the awesomeness of 2-3 days absolutely packed with new games/trailers.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't fucking care. Just do something. I wanna see Metroid Prime 4.. Dammit!!

I don’t buy the whole argument that Nintendo is skipping because they don’t have enough to show. That’s never stopped them before. And that’s also the argument we heard when Sony first started distancing from E3 back in 2018, and then skipping altogether from 2019 onwards.

2015 Nintendo literally had nothing other than Super Mario Maker for the fall. 2016 the release calendar was completely cleared as they were completely transitioned over to working on Switch games, and they just had their entire booth dedicated to BotW.

Skipping E3 is a conscious choice to not participate. It’s got nothing to do with quantity of content. As they have in the past, they could creatively find ways to make a splash at E3, even if they end up with a light second half of 2023.

Last edited:

Joey.

I’ll always have fond memories of E3 but I think it’s long gone. Gaming is truly missing this unified, point of reference for the industry. It brought so much excitement and hype.

I enjoy the modern directs but we need a universal event again. And a somewhat redeeming conciliation would be if the big 3 all did showcases in and around E3 time but some refuse to and that’s what I dislike. They have an excuse not to participate and instead prefer to drip feed us news. Screw that. Someone invent a time machine lol.

Rush2112

Banned
E3 is dead because video game journalists are not needed. Companies just stream their own presentation. They dont need some wanker from IGN to blow them while doing it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom