• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Dashcam video shows officer firing 7 shots into Castile car

Here's an article from 2015 explaining what happened to a former Baltimore City police officer who broke the blue wall of silence: https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertsama...all-of-silence?utm_term=.hiOrrLjRP#.ixgXXBokA

Haven't read that (sorry!) but is that the one that was put on a psychiatric institution against his will when he reported+recorded that some of his coleagues were doing criminal stuf?

edit: ah, different cop...one i'm think was from the NYPD -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Schoolcraft

An iraqi with a suspiciously bulging waist at a security check point in Iraq gets better odds from the us army, or their contractors, than this guy got.

If the officer felt unsafe he should have never passed training and he should have beeen done for man-slaughter as a reminder to other nervous cops that they If they don't ask for retraining and re-evaluation it's on them.

Dartastic

Yes, assume the majority of police are bad. Really speaks about your thought process and maturity. I hope you are never on any jury of any case in fear for those involved.

There will always be authority needed, and common sense that not all, not even the majority are bad. Not even half. Thus if you really fear or hate every officer in the US, if you live here, leave. Its not changing. Forever be a pawn to the media who loves to put out material on every bad case, yet dismiss the far less juicy articles of events on a daily basis handled correctly and the heroic events.
Your job is to serve and protect. Get it right. Too many people feel like cops aren't out to do that. Its your job as a cop to change those attitudes by being a better cop. People of color are murdered what seems like everyday by cops without consequence, and you think that people should just leave because they're scared of getting murdered without cause by a cop, and that the media is overplaying this shit? Get the fuck out of here man. If anything it shows a lot about your thought process and maturity to not be able to empathize. Maybe you should start there, with some goddamn empathy.

Not feeling like visiting USA ever. It is so scary.

Yeah this happened and has happened and will probably happen again but it doesn't mean all or most of the cops in the USA are on power trips and you should be afraid of every last one of them. This cop should have gotten charged and gone to jail no doubt, but in the end that fell on the jury. I've had the opportunity to volunteer with my local sheriffs department for 3 years starting my senior year of high school and all of the guys and gals I had a chance to work with were really good people who would volunteer on their days off helping in community projects on their time off. Oddly enough you'd never hear about it but in a small section in the back of a newspaper but as soon as a shooting happened it would be on t.v. and front page of the paper. I usually stay out of these threads or just don't bother posting but it really gets to me when gaffers automatically think all cops are on a power trip or just out to kill because they can. I'm sorry you won't visit the US because you're afraid.

KSweeley

Haven't read that (sorry!) but is that the one that was put on a psychiatric institution against his will when he reported+recorded that some of his coleagues were doing criminal stuf?

edit: ah, different cop...one i'm think was from the NYPD -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Schoolcraft

This person is Joe Crystal, here's what he endured when he broke the blue wall of silence: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/16/baltimore-joe-crystal_n_7582374.html

For the next two years, Crystal documented the harassment he endured in more than 50 pages of handwritten journal entries, which he shared with HuffPost.

“Do you want some cheese?” one sergeant asked Crystal, offering him a hand-drawn picture of a block of cheese, according to an entry dated Nov. 7, 2011. In another incident, an officer pulled up to Crystal and yelled out of his window: “Hey, are you guys having a cheese party? I know rats like cheese!”

Just under a year after the incident, in October 2012, Williams and Gialamas were formally charged, and Crystal planned to testify against them. The abuse got worse.

“You are going to get charged with perjury when you testify,” Lt. Tracey Geho told Crystal, according to the pending lawsuit. “Your story better not change even a little bit.”

“You better pray to God you are not the star witness, because your career is already fucked,” Amador told Crystal, according to the suit. “If you’re the star witness, you may as well just resign.” The police department declined to make Amador available for comment, citing his involvement in the lawsuit.

During this time, Crystal said he would sometimes call for backup while pursuing suspects on the job, only to be ignored outright.

On Nov. 14, 2012, Crystal went to Bob Cherry, then the president of the Baltimore Fraternal Order of Police. Crystal said he was scared for his safety, and asked Cherry if he’d look over the journal he’d been keeping. Cherry declined, according to the lawsuit, telling Crystal that cops were mad at him because it’s “blood in, blood out.”

“Cherry was basically saying that once you’re in here, you die here,” Crystal said. “What happens in the family stays in the family. They’re mad at me because I went against that rule. I remember saying to him: ‘Are we fucking cops, or are we in a gang? Which one is it? You can’t have it both ways.’”

Cherry suggested Crystal look into joining a different police department, according to the suit. He did not respond to a request for comment.

Just over a week after speaking to Cherry, the day after Thanksgiving, Crystal was at his home with his wife, Nicole. He stepped outside to his car and found a dead rat tucked under the windshield wiper.

“I think the little kid in me wanted to cry,” Crystal said of the incident. “I got teary-eyed and wanted to cry, but then thought, ‘Fuck, my wife’s here, she can’t see me break down.’”

Crystal said he tried to laugh it off and reassure his wife that everything was fine. But she urged him to call the cops.

“This officer did observe a dead rat on the bottom of the windshield,” a police report says. The incident was filed under witness intimidation.

Crystal said he never found out who put the rat on his car, though he has his suspicions.

The lawsuit alleges that Crystal lost his security clearance with the FBI, was put on midnight shifts working burglaries and was frequently transferred to new departments, told to clean out his office at a moment’s notice.

Eventually, Crystal was awarded $42,000 from the City of Baltimore: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...-md-ci-crystal-settlement-20160601-story.html

The Kree

Banned
Yes, assume the majority of police are bad. Really speaks about your thought process and maturity. I hope you are never on any jury of any case in fear for those involved.

There will always be authority needed, and common sense that not all, not even the majority are bad. Not even half. Thus if you really fear or hate every officer in the US, if you live here, leave. Its not changing. Forever be a pawn to the media who loves to put out material on every bad case, yet dismiss the far less juicy articles of events on a daily basis handled correctly and the heroic events.

I don't get a cookie when I do my job correctly either. I know that feeling.

I'll start thinking good cops exist when they stop circling the wagons around bad ones. Deal?

Javaman

Philando Castile was murdered.

Fucking coward with a gun. Abolish the police.

That cop is so full of shit. He had no idea marajuana was even in the guy's system. Worried about the little girl yet he blasted 7 shots in the car? What a scumbag.

The cop on the right didn't react at all to Castile. If he was pulling a gun he would have had eyes on it before the shooter cop. That tells me that neither one saw a gun and that cop should be in jail.

ESBL

That was rough to watch being a CCW holder, I was always instructed to have my ID and CCW license ready when pulled over and tell the officer where my gun is concealed on me.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yet another fucking travesty in court following the senseless murder of an innocent black man at a routine traffic stop.

Assuming rational and unbiased actors, the 100% sensible thing for a law-abiding permit-issued concealed carry firearm holder to do to ensure everyone's safety during police involvement should hypothetically be to disclose the presence of their concealed firearm before reaching into hard-to-see places for ID or potentially getting searched or whatever, so that there is not an unanticipated panic threat vector introduced should the officer happen to notice the concealed weapon on their own. Lots of people have CCWs and legally carry concealed firearms, but there's no way for an officer to know if a concealed weapon is lawful or not just by looking at it, and an illegal firearm's very presence being detected by a police officer will escalate the situation to a life or death one due to the felony offense involved and implications surrounding someone's willingness to carry an illegal firearm...so...hypo-fucking-thetically...you, the innocent law-abiding citizen are doing the right thing and looking out for both parties' safety by disclosing that you're legally carrying before any of that can play out. You're not threatening anyone. You're making sure that no avoidable escalation happens in the first place.

Unless you're black. Then you get murdered for your consideration in front of your family and the murderer walks. Even when it's all on video and the video is shown to a jury of your peers.

I don't care if Philando Castile had 100,000 hits of LSD in his system and PCP was running through his veins instead of blood at the time of the murder. He acted appropriately, did not instigate an escalation or provide any justification for violence, and we know this to be true since it's on video. A blood test result can't retroactively justify homicide when we can already determine each party's actual behavior during the incident.

Yanez recalled that Castile kept his left hand on the steering wheel, and the placement of his shoulder blocked Yanez’s sightline to Castile’s right hand. It was at this time that he feared Castile may be reaching for the gun in his waistband or perhaps between the seats. He wondered if Castile may have kept the gun for protection from a drug dealer or someone trying to “rip” from him.

“And at that point I was scared and I was in fear for my life and my partner’s life,” he told the agents. “And for the little girl in the back and the front seat passenger and he dropped his hand down and I can’t remember what I was telling him but I was telling him something as his hand went down I think.”

He thought he saw Castile grab something and pull it away from his right thigh. “I know he had an object — and it was dark,” he said. He thought he saw a gun.

“As that was happening, as he was pulling at, out his hand I thought, I was gonna die and I thought if he’s, if he has the guts and the audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the 5-year-old girl and risk her lungs and risk her life by giving her secondhand smoke and the front seat passenger doing the same thing then what, what care does he give about me?”

He thought the barrel was “coming out.” He thought it was “big.”

“To me it just looked big and apparent that he’s going to shoot you, he’s going to kill you. This is your suspect from the robbery.”

Then he fired.

At the time of the interview, he couldn’t remember squeezing off the first few shots, or how many times he shot. He saw one round hit Castile in the arm, and Castile’s glasses fly from his face. “I remember smelling the gun smoke and the bright flashes from the muzzle. And then I heard, a couple pops from my firearm.”

He said he tried to point the gun away from the little girl in the back seat. He heard her screaming. “I acknowledged the little girl first because I wanted her to be safe.”

Great job protecting that little girl's well-being from that alleged waft of weed odor you detected on the terrible criminal in the driver's seat, Officer, with those SEVEN SHOTS YOU FIRED INTO THE CAR IN A WILD, DISORIENTED PANIC, ONLY STOPPING AFTER YOU WERE CONFIDENT YOU HAD DEFINITELY MURDERED HER INNOCENT FATHER. I'm sure she's back from the arts and crafts store and hard at work personally making your medal for uncommon valor under fire in her honor as we fucking speak.

Police officers. Forever the victims of the system.

lmao come on man

Consider

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/05/10/dog-shot-by-cop/

Jury Awards $1.26 Million For Dog Shot, Killed By Police Officer

Vern, who was 4-and-a-half, was shot by Anne Arundel County police officer Officer Rodney Price. Price claimed that he was attacked by Vern, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, which also happens to be the Maryland State dog , at the Glen Burnie home of Vern’s owner, Michael Reeves, while he was looking into a neighborhood burglary.

“He says ‘I’m really really sorry I just had to shoot him,’ and I’m like ‘you didn’t have to,'” said owner Mike Reeves.

“I mean you’re trained to use pepper spray, mace, a baton, there were so many things that I think could been avoided,” said another owner, Patrick Reeves.

The people on GAF have every right to be weary and untrusting of cops. This shit happens way too often. If it was just isolated incidents here and there, yeah I'd start to get annoyed. However, this shit is constantly happening. The media isn't trying to portray anything; they are just reporting what happened. I mean who gives a shit if they don't report when incidents are handled correctly or the heroic events. That's our fucking job; we shouldn't need a pat on the back or recognition. Doing our job and helping people should be the reward. We are here to serve the public and as of right now some of us are doing a real shitty job. The only way things are going to change is if these officers are held accountable, however more times than not they aren't.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I dont live in the states but do you have to tell cops you have a legal gun? He should have just not said anything. This is 100% the cops fault but I am thinking maybe it could have been avoided if he didnt mention he had a gun.
You are required to tell the cops in some states.

I asked a bunch of cop buddies where they see this going wrong and they all said without exception the moment they hear "gun" they ready to throw down and are taught to take zero chances. None of em outright condone this shooting but all say at a stop like this to keep hands on steering wheel palms up and ask the officer "How should I proceed?"

What gets me is the onus is on the civilian to be in full control of their senses and know what to do and what not to do st all times yet the cop gets to assume and adlib it.

The system is broken.

Holy shit. Might as well not say words to upset cops and risk a higher sentence or tasing if warning them gets you killed in front of your family.

KSweeley

So police are just factually unable to deal with [black] people owning guns, sounds like a fundamental problem in a country that encourages everyone to own a gun. Unless the goal is to make it 100% legal to shoot any and all black people?

991 people shot and killed by police in 2015: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

963 people shot and killed by police in 2016: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/

And so far, 452 people shot and killed by police in 2017: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2017/

Grand total to date: 2,406 people shot and killed by police between 2015-2017, when will it fucking stop?!?!?!?!
Those stats aren't very helpful in determining whether a shooting was justified.

ColdPizza

Banned
991 people shot and killed by police in 2015: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

963 people shot and killed by police in 2016: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/

And so far, 452 people shot and killed by police in 2017: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2017/

Grand total to date: 2,406 people shot and killed by police between 2015-2017, when will it fucking stop?!?!?!?!

Thats a cool data representation they have, though in that 2406 people the vast majority of those cases involved the person holding a deadly weapon.

So cops can kill you based on fear. Citizens have to act right in these life and death traffic stops, but cops can just fly right off the handle? The citizens have to keep their cool, but the cops can panic?

That's some fucking bullshit.

blackjaw

This is so sad, the cop had the opportunity to back off, draw a weapon if he felt threatened and the try to deescalate the situation.

"Get out of the car, keep hands in air, please act calmly- we are going to be ok, I'm going to disarm you then we can talk."

Deescalation gives the cop a chance to breath and gives a man a chance at life. Instead Castille acted irrationally and shot a guy 7 times while his partner is standing nice and relaxed obviously seeing the family posed no threat.

The cop was guilty of everything and he got away with it. It's so fucking sad.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Man, shut the fuck up with all this #notallcops bullshit.

"The media" my ass. The media isn't out there shooting innocent people for no reason and getting away with a slap on the wrist.

American law enforcement is fucked up from top to bottom, and until it stops being open season on minorities, nobody gives a fuck if somebody's feelings get hurt because they knew a nice cop one time and they don't like hearing that the whole system is rotten.

150+ years of bullshit, but we need to give cops the benefit of the doubt because surely they'll get it right eventually.

Please.

ZOONAMI

The prosecution didn't do its job and the defense did:

From star Tribune:

Their discussions ultimately focused on the legal definition of culpable negligence, which is required for a manslaughter conviction. Under Minnesota law, it occurs when a person “creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another.”

Faced with the choice of deciding that Yanez consciously chose to create unreasonable risk or that he had acted out of fear, instinct and confusion, the jury found that Yanez had acted within the law.

If you are a prosecutor and you can't convince a jury that firing 7 shots into a car with a kid in it is an conscious decision that's dangerous and unreasonable, you are a fucking shitty prosecutor. Also if you can't put together an argument around how it makes zero sense to say hey I have a conceal and carry, and then try to shoot a cop after saying that, you are a shitty prosecutor.

btrboyev

That cop is so full of shit. He had no idea marajuana was even in the guy's system. Worried about the little girl yet he blasted 7 shots in the car? What a scumbag.

The cop on the right didn't react at all to Castile. If he was pulling a gun he would have had eyes on it before the shooter cop. That tells me that neither one saw a gun and that cop should be in jail.

The cop never saw the gun. He says as much at the tail end of the dash cam video. He said he didn't know where "the fucking gun is" because Castile didn't tell him.

This is the kind of thing that makes you more and more mad the more you think about it.

A cop killed someone for the "crime" of reaching for his permit and not reacting quickly enough to the cop freaking out WAY out of proportion to what was happening, that fact is caught on video, and he's walking free.

It's hard not to see America as being on the verge of being a failed state when law enforcement can't be held accountable on even the most basic level when they fuck up. How can we solve the big problems when even the day-to-day problems, like a scumbag, murdering cop, can't be redressed?

psyfi

Banned
He was pulled over because Yanez claimed he had the "wide set nose" of a robbery suspect. Yanez tells Castile he is being pulled over for a brake light, but that wasnt the real reason.
Yeah, this part from the article doesn't adequately describe the dynamics at play here [hint: racism].
Though the video has been described repeatedly, the footage offers a disturbing perspective on how a traffic stop for a faulty brake light turned deadly in mere seconds.

The prosecution didn't do its job and the defense did:

From star Tribune:

Their discussions ultimately focused on the legal definition of culpable negligence, which is required for a manslaughter conviction. Under Minnesota law, it occurs when a person “creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another.”

Faced with the choice of deciding that Yanez consciously chose to create unreasonable risk or that he had acted out of fear, instinct and confusion, the jury found that Yanez had acted within the law.

If you are a prosecutor and you can't convince a jury that firing 7 shots into a car with a kid in it is an conscious decision that's dangerous and unreasonable, you are a fucking shitty prosecutor. Also if you can't put together an argument around how it makes zero sense to say hey I have a conceal and carry, and then try to shoot a cop after saying that, you are a shitty prosecutor.

Prosecutors can't get the heat for what is a consistent pattern of juries giving outright deference to the emotional state of trained professionals where they'd give no such quarter to a civilian. This is a problem with society, not an individual prosecutor.

Dryk

How do american police officers still have any credibility in the eyes of a Jury? Despite a pretty damning video of a citizen with a carry license doing exactly as asked, all an officer has to do is pull a scout salute and promise they saw him reach for the gun and it's golden.
Just world fallacy. The idea that policemen are scared children completely unfit for their job is too much for their minds to handle so they rationalise it away.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Man, remember that Facebook post that went viral because it was written by a black man who was pulled over and calmly told officers that he had a gun, then he was later free to go? Remember when people were all "See black people? Just be calm and you won't get shot!"

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm sure the NRA will be all over this with the additional dashcam video.

RinsFury

The police are fucking terrifying, and if you aren't white death is just one wrong movement away. He murdered that poor man so quickly over nothing, literally just panicked and unloaded and now a father is dead while the killer walks free. Just kept fucking shooting, girlfriend and daughter could have just as easily been killed in that hail of bullets. I feel physically ill after having seen that. RIP Philando Castile. May that murdering piece of shit one day get what is coming to him.

ScribbleD

The One and Done™;241399101 said:
The officer told him not to reach. If he was reaching then it's not his fault. The officer was clearly distraught at how things played out too, shaking and everything. To call him a monster is a beyond the pale IMO. It didn't seem malicious. Yes it could have been handled differently but the officer likely has PTSD now.

***disclaimer*** I feel even worse about Catillo getting killed. Fuckinh tragic.

Aww, yeah. All of our sympathies should be directed toward the murderous cowardly racist. Excellent point.

celljean89

Neo Member

Fuck da Police

Wolfe

I asked a bunch of cop buddies where they see this going wrong and they all said without exception the moment they hear "gun" they ready to throw down and are taught to take zero chances. None of em outright condone this shooting but all say at a stop like this to keep hands on steering wheel palms up and ask the officer "How should I proceed?"

What gets me is the onus is on the civilian to be in full control of their senses and know what to do and what not to do st all times yet the cop gets to assume and adlib it.

The system is broken.

Yeah it's some straight up bullshit. They're the ones with all of the power in these situations yet the people they're accosting are the ones that are expected to know every exact thing they need to do or not do so that they don't "upset" the guys with the badges. Yet as it's been shown there's literally nothing that a minority could do to not get shot by the cops at this point.

Fucking coward with a gun. Abolish the police.

Reading that, and moreso imagining him saying it, infuriating.

The One and Done™;241399101 said:
The officer told him not to reach. If he was reaching then it's not his fault. The officer was clearly distraught at how things played out too, shaking and everything. To call him a monster is a beyond the pale IMO. It didn't seem malicious. Yes it could have been handled differently but the officer likely has PTSD now.

***disclaimer*** I feel even worse about Catillo getting killed. Fuckinh tragic.

The officer thought that Castille would shoot him because Castille was smoking in front of his daughter...

He's a monster.

Wolfe

The One and Done™;241399944 said:
Nevermind. Not trying to argue. This entire thing is a tragedy.

Give it a rest, reading the officers words makes it pretty clear they think black men are dangerous weed smokers that put their own children in danger.

You think the same thoughts would have gone through their head had the guy been white and told him he legally carried a pistol on himself in that situation?

Nabs

Man, remember that Facebook post that went viral because it was written by a black man who was pulled over and calmly told officers that he had a gun, then he was later free to go? Remember when people were all "See black people? Just be calm and you won't get shot!"

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Yuup. He instantly got interviewed by everything, even had some garbage interview on my local station the next morning.

Top Bottom