• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Best) Pope Frank to issue edict on Climate Change in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to see the heads of Peggy Noonan, Bill O'Reilly, Justice Scalia, Sean Hannity, and James Mountain Inhofe explode.

pope-francis-on-bible-and-climate-change.jpg
He has been called the “superman pope”, and it would be hard to deny that Pope Francis has had a good December. Cited by President Barack Obama as a key player in the thawing relations between the US and Cuba, the Argentinian pontiff followed that by lecturing his cardinals on the need to clean up Vatican politics. But can Francis achieve a feat that has so far eluded secular powers and inspire decisive action on climate change?

It looks as if he will give it a go. In 2015, the pope will issue a lengthy message on the subject to the world’s 1.2 billion Catholics, give an address to the UN general assembly and call a summit of the world’s main religions.

The reason for such frenetic activity, says Bishop Marcelo Sorondo, chancellor of the Vatican’s Pontifical Academy of Sciences, is the pope’s wish to directly influence next year’s crucial UN climate meeting in Paris, when countries will try to conclude 20 years of fraught negotiations with a universal commitment to reduce emissions.

“Our academics supported the pope’s initiative to influence next year’s crucial decisions,” Sorondo told Cafod, the Catholic development agency, at a meeting in London. “The idea is to convene a meeting with leaders of the main religions to make all people aware of the state of our climate and the tragedy of social exclusion.

Following a visit in March to Tacloban, the Philippine city devastated in 2012 by typhoon Haiyan, the pope will publish a rare encyclical on climate change and human ecology. Urging all Catholics to take action on moral and scientific grounds, the document will be sent to the world’s 5,000 Catholic bishops and 400,000 priests, who will distribute it to parishioners.
”
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/27/pope-francis-edict-climate-change-us-rightwing

I think Pope Frank and Obama are in a contest to see who can drive the right-wing more insane.

10517246_10154370397800422_164358103378123105_o.jpg

Best Pope? Best Pope.

You know what would really help, Frank? . . . Allowing birth control usage. Just sayin'. Something to think about. .

Best Pope? Best Pope.

I liked B16 so his replacement by Francis came off as a shock to me. I kind of like him even though I don't find him as engaging as Benedict, and despite some statements that make me think he's no economist. He seems to put an emphasis on a dialogue with Islam while his predecessor was more at ease with the orthodox, which I think is a better priority for a pope.

Francis's mission seems to restore order in the Vatican (e.g. clearing the church of its moral, political and theological corruption). That's good, but I don't appreciate his public statements in general, except for two: his first speech, when he said that a Church without Christ would be just another vague NGO, and his very humane and balanced speech on homosexuality to members of the press.

Anyway, I don't follow the Vatican news closely but the when the media let out a cry of relief when Benedict XVI stepped down and Francis came forth made me frown a little. And his intervention in Lampedusa was a missed opportunity for him to do something more productive - I don't think smugglers care very much about the Pope's disapproval of their activities...

Pretty sure humanity was out in charge of tending the Earth as far back as Genesis, so it should be pretty obvious that destroying the environment is a sin.

As a non believer in a old blood religiosa family, i personally like this guy..
He can right some of the wrong a of the church to give it a better image as an institution..
While the makeshift believe can or cannot be trusted, while there are shadows even now (pedo priests and church trying to get things hushhush mode..), One cannot and indeed should not forget the role that part of the clergy (admittedly, mostly the low ranker) has in the various activity for the people..
Community dine hall, cheap rent for divorced fathers (yeah... The church doesn't like divorce, but they are sympathethic towards the divorced half of the couple that loses everything in favour of the children), possibility for humble people to live within the church working as priest support, mental/faith su cuor to those in need ( the faith part may be fake, but when you are without any other source of firmness in your life even a fake faith will do better than nothing), moral values (which may or may not be follower by the same PERSON preaching them, but are valid nonetheless)...
Among the recent popes, Francis sparks as he is holding in an uncompromising way most of the value the church preach..
Yes this might sound like a love letter to the church, but it's actually just an honest consideration and appreciation towards a group of people always getting the short end of the stick during discussions..

Nobody seems to really care, but Pope Benedict was often referred to as "the green Pope," not because he loved that kush, but because environmental awareness was one of his biggest social issues. Benedict also led the Vatican in becoming the first carbon neutral country in the world.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ronmental-pope-green-efficiency-vatican-city/

So I know everybody really loves Francis and that's good, but... Benedict and JP2 have been environmental activists as well, with Benedict leading on this issue throughout his Papacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom