• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Pre-Launch Thread of lore, news and beta withdrawl

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm in a weird spot that I want to play it because it's Diablo, but the beta didn't really rock me.

Eotheod

The game is $109AUD on Battle.net. Why the fuck did publishers and developers kick up PC game costs with no reason other than "consoles did it also?" No PC game deserves to be over $100, that's just absurd pricing and what is worse is due to being on battle.net there seems to be no cd keys floating around cheaper.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Still have no idea what class to play, Barbarian, Rogue or Druid. Eager to see what changes they make to the classes. I often enjoy whirlwind builds, but the DPS of the Rogue was just too much fun and the mobility.

I even fired up Diablo immortal to feed the habit. Take out the micro transactions and mobile gates, there is a decent playing/loot game there.

June 2nd can't come soon enough.

Hot5pur

The game is $109AUD on Battle.net. Why the fuck did publishers and developers kick up PC game costs with no reason other than "consoles did it also?" No PC game deserves to be over $100, that's just absurd pricing and what is worse is due to being on battle.net there seems to be no cd keys floating around cheaper.
I hear ya brother; hopefully what softens the blow is that this game will provide at least 50-100 hours of content, and it will be supported for a long long time.
Seems the $70 new game price tag is inevitable for PC as well. Luckily we still have the keysites ;)

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Blizzard are greedy cunts who overprice their trash filled with MTX and battlepasses to eek out more money from folks? Gotta push that FOMO somehow. Any talent and care from blizzard has long since left.

Shubh_C63

Sooner or later I will play this game, its inevitable. But I really don't want to pay 6000INR (70$) at launch. Blizzard is only few of the publisher refusing regional pricing.
Will wait for a sale...primevil knows when.

I'm in a weird spot that I want to play it because it's Diablo, but the beta didn't really rock me.
Same. Played for 5 hours straight and then absolutely had my fill. didn't even logged in for the remaining days.

Last edited:

Telasoo

Neo Member

It probably has to do with the conversation rate. They lose bottom line profit being a USA company with currency conversion. 70 USD = ~105 AUD right now.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
They seriously need to raise the difficulty from the outset. THe beta was a monotonous slog because nothing was a challenge.

Agree, we were facerolling even at world tier 2.

But Im not sure how much of it was a product of the leveling and gear drops being increased for the beta. Maybe it would have been tougher if we were leveling and getting gear/abilities as actually intended.

But either way Im with you, hoping the real deal proves just a little more challenging.

Exception I guess would be the Butcher, he fucked me up.

thanks Beta....you got me back addicted to d2r

Fashion Designer Reaction GIF by 60 Second Docs

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Lilith is Mephisto's daughter. She and the angel Inarius are actually the creators of Sanctuary, the mortal realm. She was banished long ago for reasons, but she's back now.

Unclear.
Sounds like they're going for a real Gnostic angle with Lilith being the creators of sanctuary and humans.

Going in fully blind (except Act 1 due to beta] starting with Druid on Hardcore to max level and then the Barbarian and then the Rogue,, then Necromancer with Sorc last.

I leveled 4 toons already on hardcore to 25 on beta, so this will be easy going in. But after that will be an awesome challenge.

Solo Only. Self-found only. Hardcore only.

Will be streaming it on my dedicated Diablo twitch if anyone is curious to watch a really an annoying hardcore player with really shitty jokes and cringe faces 😅 https://www.twitch./tvTristramTales

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I missed seeing the leaked map, but looking at it now it's a giant map. Also whats good is some other parts of the map have more open areas whereas the beta was mostly canned thin corridors.

In some ways, yes, in other ways it makes a lot of things much easier.
For example, you can blast through the starting area or do every single side quest, and regardless of level, you won't out level the enemies.
Also if you ever want to come back to an area an do stuff, you can without again having the problem of outlieveling the zones. I think this avoids locking yourself out of content that you missed.

The other aspect is leveling becomes more of a puzzle. You immediately get weaker, but you are given more options to get stronger, just takes a bit more work to get there. Over time as I played I didn't feel I got particularly weaker (maybe a bit just after leveling) but overall the combat and feel of the game got more interesting.
I think it's a fine balance and they've tried to nail it as best they could.
Level scaling is just a way to remove leveling. The whole point of leveling is to differentiate the skill of the player from the skill of the character.

The level scaling just means it becomes an action game for action game fans, the levels are empty and should not be there. If you don't want to play RPGs then stop pretending it is an RPG by wearing its skin.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The level scaling just means it becomes an action game for action game fans, the levels are empty and should not be there. If you don't want to play RPGs then stop pretending it is an RPG by wearing its skin.
While the critiques about level scaling are definitely valid, there are still lots of RPG progression elements within the gameplay loop of Diablo 4.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
But Im not sure how much of it was a product of the leveling and gear drops being increased for the beta. Maybe it would have been tougher if we were leveling and getting gear/abilities as actually intended.
Increased gear drops was definitely a factor. Gear is going to be very important in Diablo 4 and make up a significant portion of a character's power, so being able to gear up quickly in the beta made it easier once you get a few hours in. You also reached level cap sooner in the beta, so at that point, most of the time you're getting stronger and stronger with better gear drops because level scaling is no longer making you "weaker" upon level up.

Exception I guess would be the Butcher, he fucked me up.
In the full game, you are going to be encountering more of these kinds of scenarios, and I imagine most of these will be before the character is overgeared for them, increasing the difficulty.

I personally found the beta to be a little on the easy side, but I am well aware of the factors that went into that experience. With this in mind, I am confident that the full game will present more of a challenge.

Hot5pur

Level scaling is just a way to remove leveling. The whole point of leveling is to differentiate the skill of the player from the skill of the character.

What do you mean by differentiate the skill of the player from the skill of the character?
Personally I am in it to play an ARPG, and there is a broad understanding of what an "ARPG" is. My understanding it's different from just regular "RPG"s, but I don't think people obsess over these concepts. We're just trying to have a good time with a game, not to argue about semantics of what category a game is or isn't.
I prefer the level scaling, it's the same way in Wolcen, and it works. Progression is meaningful as you get more options, and you can usually outpace the leveling of the enemies given the access to new tools and abilities you are given, just have to spend more time adapting.

Well, expected. New campaign acts are coming with expansions
They've been very clear from a while back that this would be the case. Major story stuff is reserved for expansions, likely new classes as well.

Well, expected. New campaign acts are coming with expansions
Yea I'm more correcting that inaccurate news than having a go at the game.

Not doubting you but do you have a link to quote saying paid expansions ala LoD or RoS with new classes and story acts are coming? They better be!

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Which version of the game did you guys get? I'm thinking 30$ cad extra for the deluxe
For now no version.
Pre ordering given today's development climate is crazy to me. So many bad releases. Also on PC the beta was a mess with lag and rubber banding. Once I'm satisfied the game is in decent shape I'll get it. Everyone else can take part in the 4 day early beta test/queue simulator.

I do hope you early access folks have a good experience, but I've learnt to be more cautious given experience with other games

For now no version.
Pre ordering given today's development climate is crazy to me. So many bad releases. Also on PC the beta was a mess with lag and rubber banding. Once I'm satisfied the game is in decent shape I'll get it. Everyone else can take part in the 4 day early beta test/queue simulator.

I do hope you early access folks have a good experience, but I've learnt to be more cautious given experience with other games
Well I got the pre-order as a bday gift from a family member or I would of just waited to the free open beta. I'm a bit optimistic about the early launch, the queues were reduced by quite a lot by the end of the beta and maybe having the launch on multiple days with this early access will also ease the strain on the servers.

I'm still debating about getting it since I havent actually paid for the game as it was a gift. Also, FFXVI is coming out a few weeks after so I want to put as much as I can into D4 before FFXVI

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've been playing a bit of Diablo 3 recently (it's been a while) to get a little bit of insight on what the developers may or may not do with Diablo 4, and have softened my opinion on level scaling. This is the first time playing Adventure Mode for me, and it's basically level scaling the entire game. From what I've played of the Diablo 4 beta, it's basically Diablo 3 Adventure Mode with an open world and MMO elements.

And I'm okay with that. As long as they keep up the variety and sense of progression in other ways, it's fine.

Luipadre

Fools idol

Banned
so did they listen to the community complaints or what? I saw some tweets from randoms that suggested they may have admitted the design of the late game has been changed due to beta feedback but the extent remains unknown. I'm skeptical because the big changes it needs (at least, in my worthless humble opinion) would require a launch delay and time in the oven.

Hot5pur

so did they listen to the community complaints or what? I saw some tweets from randoms that suggested they may have admitted the design of the late game has been changed due to beta feedback but the extent remains unknown. I'm skeptical because the big changes it needs (at least, in my worthless humble opinion) would require a launch delay and time in the oven.

If the beta as just act I I'm not sure how much feedback they could get that would change the late game.

The best changed I saw were early game class balance, making cellars worthwhile, and reducing the amount of backtracking in empty dungeons.

More like small QoL changes. They aren't going to rework major systems 2 months from launch.

Haven’t kept up with the news on this at all, will it have local co-op? It’s kind of a deal breaker for me if it doesn’t.

Edit. If it does have co-op and 2 people locally play with 2 online?

Last edited:
Top Bottom