• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Pre-Launch Thread of lore, news and beta withdrawl

DavidGzz

So, I thought the second beta weekend would be representative of how crowded the servers would be on launch but am now reconsidering. I have 5 friends/acquaintances who plan to buy at launch and only 1 other and me took part in the beta. If that is the normal ratio, we may be in for a rocky start especially with advertising. A couple of those friends didn't even know the beta was a thing.

Luipadre

So, I thought the second beta weekend would be representative of how crowded the servers would be on launch but am now reconsidering. I have 5 friends/acquaintances who plan to buy at launch and only 1 other and me took part in the beta. If that is the normal ratio, we may be in for a rocky start especially with advertising. A couple of those friends didn't even know the beta was a thing.

The first day will be rough in both early access and full launch but things will normalize a day later like in the beta.

Hot5pur

The first day will be rough in both early access and full launch but things will normalize a day later like in the beta.
Depends what we mean by normalize.
Even though the queues got much better a day later the rubber banding and lag never really went away (on PC). Even sometimes having textures on high would be worse than medium but not because of GPU reasons (I had it running smooth on high for several hours), why the graphics setting would affect online lag is strange (no graphical data is transmitted). There was a lot of really weird stuff.

I think the game will do well in terms of critical reception. Big improvement over D3 but it plays it very safe on all fronts, and other games have more depth in terms of skill trees and build variety (we don't know the whole story yet, but it's fairly clear D4 is made to cater to a more casual audience). Also it's unclear how quickly the endgame will get stale...really hope they have some unique endgame bosses and it's not all recycled content with random modifiers.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this game in the same way i would a new mmo. The best feeling ARPG i have ever played(imo). Playing with headphones and the way the actions feels was amazing to me.

If they made this a demo and gave us what was in the beta….. i would still play this game everyday until it came out making new builds with every class.

First few days will be rough but it got quickly better in the beta. Also, I think early access will help, it will split the player base and launch somewhat

Last edited:

TylerD

To say the beta grabbed my attention is a massive understatement. I went from not knowing the D4 release date or about closed beta happening at all until I saw a YouTube video about it that weekend. I ended up watching hours of gameplay then playing a ton open beta weekend and now I’m pretty much obsessed and following every bit of news.

I bought a used GTX 1070 8GB replacing my GTX 960 2GB on my old PC to get ready. I think a pretty solid deal for $105 and should run it SO much smoother and prettier.

I found a benchmark video of a 1070 8GB with a i5-2500k OC’d to 4.4ghz, just like mine (told you it was old 😂) with a HDD no less and 32GB DDR3 getting a pretty consistent 60fps @ 1080p using the high res textures and everything else the card supports maxed. It seemed like a no-brainer upgrade since I have no plans of building a new machine and a more modern card would be even more bottlenecked.

I just want to play Diablo 4 pretty and smooth @ 1080p mannnnmm
——————

I really like some of the changes they have made from beta feedback.

Definitely looking forward to the livestream on the 20th too

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Anyone else dont give a shit about MP and going to just solo the campaign and move the fuck on once its done?

Even with the MMO elements it's not going to be overly MP. You just get nice add-ons like world bosses and the pvp zones that have their own mechanics. Personally I find the MMO stuff makes things a bit more interesting, while allowing you to feel like this is mostly a single player game, especially since the core of the game is dungeons.

After campaign we'll see how interesting the endgame is. The bar is pretty high. If there is no interesting endgame goals or content (eg. Like endgame only bosses) I can see it getting old fast.

TylerD

Got the used 1070 in the mail today to replace my 2GB 960 and was able to test it out. I think it will play Diablo 4 really well.

I'm getting 90+FPS in Diablo 2 Resurrected with max settings 1080p in Act IV: River of Flame where I was getting low to mid 30s on medium-low settings on the 960, lowest settings I was in the 40s. If I output 1440p I'm still in the mid 70s and the play is smooth, not noticing much stuttering on my OC'd i5 2500K @ 4.4ghz and Z68 chipset. I felt like I stole the card from the guy at $105 since there were parts only 1070s listed in the $80-95 range. With tax and shipping just under $130

Pre-launch PC prep complete!

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Oh man between those two tweets this is getting spicy. Im off work tomorrow too fuck yeah Ill be tuning in.

Early early early access please lets gooooo

Hot5pur

Holy crap will they actually launch early?
I hope they move all the timelines up, and not just for the people willing to pay extra. This early access pricing is kinda scummy and hope more devs don't go for it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I canceled my preorder after they announced that the story will be drip fed over time. A decent idea in theory that worked for PoE, but it was a sobering reminder that it's Activision Blizzard that we're talking about here and they're just gonna use this as an excuse to squeeze every penny out of you.

Not really into a console version of Diablo Immortal either, so thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:
Holy crap will they actually launch early?
I hope they move all the timelines up, and not just for the people willing to pay extra. This early access pricing is kinda scummy and hope more devs don't go for it.
Not an early launch or it'll screw all their early access tiers. I'm thinking more of maybe another stress test

GreyHand23

I canceled my preorder after they announced that the story will be drip fed over time. A decent idea in theory that worked for PoE, but it was a sobering reminder that it's Activision Blizzard that we're talking about here and they're just gonna use this as an excuse to squeeze every penny out of you.

Not really into a console version of Diablo Immortal either, so thanks but no thanks.
They did not announce this. The additional “story” is just quest lines to introduce seasonal mechanics. Any major additional story will be in expansions.

Hot5pur

Not an early launch or it'll screw all their early access tiers. I'm thinking more of maybe another stress test
Not necessarily. They could just say early access is April 21 and full launch 4 days later.
But if people were relying on playing it in June that will cause issues. Plus you'd have to message things really well so early access people don't miss out on actually being able to play early. Technically it's still early access since it's on or before June 2 haha....but I imagine people will be pissed having to pay for early access and not getting the benefit compared to everyone else. This is why this practice is so shitty, sets up a weird dynamic between "access" tiers.

They could do a "digital preorders get to start playing a really long early beta that carries over progress to the full release," but I'm guessing that there will another open beta (maybe this weekend or next?) that doesn't carry over progress.

cormack12

Gold Member
That would be terrible.

317b54f0-5d44-44e3-96f8-efff099a6e25_text.gif

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Y’all heard about this wicked new conspiracy theory based on a d4 mug blizzard has for sale on their shop? About a new secret class?

Kacho

Seriously the same week BOTW 2 releases?
I was excited about playing D4 again but if it's the same time as TOTK then forget it. I can wait until June lol. If the D4 "Server Slam" was between now and the 11th May I'd have gone balls deep into it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom