• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Pre-Launch Thread of lore, news and beta withdrawl

PerfectDark

Banned
I quit a few hrs into the second beta. I also quit a hr into this beta. This game is so boring. All the classes are copys of past classes in Diablo games. Same skills and everything you find in past games. Devs nowadays are so lazy and have no creativity they just copy and past classes and skills. The Diablo 4 Barb feels the same as the Diablo 3 Barb. I get Whirl Wind is one of the coolest skills ever made but does every game have to have it a main skill. The skills have a cluster of 3 and only a handful of clusters and it stops at level 26 even though max level is 100. The game is so lacking when it comes to skills. Diablo 4 is a game you play for a few weeks and don't come back to until a expansion or big DLC.

This game is all hype from it being Diablo and we only get a Diablo game every 10 years. Streamers and content creators will hype the crap out of the game because the name alone will make them allot of money. In the end everyone can enjoy the honeymoon. I won't be going on a honeymoon that ends in a divorce weeks later.

DavidGzz

Zero queues so far and I've been busy so had to log out 3 times already. Anyone know why my tv is having issues with VSync and HDR? Does Windows 11 have a bug? I get screen tearing without VSync but can't get 120 frames if I use VSync. My tv supports HDR too and my PC keeps shutting it off after a few seconds.

Last edited:
I quit a few hrs into the second beta. I also quit a hr into this beta. This game is so boring. All the classes are copys of past classes in Diablo games. Same skills and everything you find in past games. Devs nowadays are so lazy and have no creativity they just copy and past classes and skills. The Diablo 4 Barb feels the same as the Diablo 3 Barb. I get Whirl Wind is one of the coolest skills ever made but does every game have to have it a main skill. The skills have a cluster of 3 and only a handful of clusters and it stops at level 26 even though max level is 100. The game is so lacking when it comes to skills. Diablo 4 is a game you play for a few weeks and don't come back to until a expansion or big DLC.

This game is all hype from it being Diablo and we only get a Diablo game every 10 years. Streamers and content creators will hype the crap out of the game because the name alone will make them allot of money. In the end everyone can enjoy the honeymoon. I won't be going on a honeymoon that ends in a divorce weeks later.

I'm afraid you might be right. I don't think it has much fun factor either but havn't pinpointed why yet.

You're so right about youtubers and streamers tho. Every big name game has these shills overhyping it for $$.

Zero queues so far and I've been busy so had to log out 3 times already. Anyone know why my tv is having issues with VSync and HDR? Does Windows 11 have a bug? I get screen tearing without VSync but can't get 120 frames if I use VSync. My tv supports HDR too and my PC keeps shutting it off after a few seconds.
So you were able to log in without queues from the moment it booted it up with 0 wait time? Or did you log in for the first time later in the day after a few hours of the server slam?

Last edited:

omegasc

So you were able to log in without queues from the moment it booted it up with 0 wait time? Or did you log in for the first time later in the day after a few hours of the server slam?
I have been logging in and out PC and PS5 from start of this beta without any long queueueue so far. Max 1 second shown in the UI.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Necro feels bad this time. Minions die, do little to no damage, and just all around feel pointless. I’m also running out of essence non stop to cast anything.

I’m also getting the feel they decreased damage from player and upped defense on enemies. Not increasing difficulty just increasing combat time it takes.

I’m curious how Druid faired this go around ?

Is Sorc still a power house ?

Necro feels bad this time. Minions die, do little to no damage, and just all around feel pointless. I’m also running out of essence non stop to cast anything.

I’m also getting the feel they decreased damage from player and upped defense on enemies. Not increasing difficulty just increasing combat time it takes.

Haven't played much tonight, once kids hit the bed I'm logging in on druid. Will see how he feels since last time

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Just read some impressions online on what folks think and I’m assuming blizzard went really far into the nerf direction to get feed back so for launch it’ll be somewhere in the middle . First beta’s were OP AF mode, this is nerfed to dirt, and the sweet spot at launch will be found for most things.

Otherwise if they launch in current state…yikes. Major fuck up.

Just read some impressions online on what folks think and I’m assuming blizzard went really far into the nerf direction to get feed back so for launch it’ll be somewhere in the middle . First beta’s were OP AF mode, this is nerfed to dirt, and the sweet spot at launch will be found for most things.

Nah, this always happens with nerfs in any online game as long as I can remember (ultima online, everquest etc..) Oh no, they took my candies away.

It was pretty much god mode the last weekends, people complain how easy it is, now oh no, my class now sucks.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I forgot that there was another beta going on this weekend so I jumped on a little bit ago and made a new Barbarian and I have to say that whatever changes that they made the game overall feels much better.

Barb feels a lot more beefy and the veteran tier difficulty is actually a little bit challenging now whereas before it was just a walk.

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned
Got my first Necro to 20 and don't loving what they did to the minions, feel way to squishy

Don't know why they decided to nerf minions to the point where they aren't fun to play anymore right before launch. Rethinking even playing the game now if this is the state of their balancing decisions.

And I get the reason why loot can be scarce, but I've spent 3 hours grinding a dungeon at level 20 and haven't even seen a single orange. 5x less my ass. This is abysmal.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Don't know why they decided to nerf minions to the point where they aren't fun to play anymore right before launch. Rethinking even playing the game now if this is the state of their balancing decisions.

And I get the reason why loot can be scarce, but I've spent 3 hours grinding a dungeon at level 20 and haven't even seen a single orange. 5x less my ass. This is abysmal.
Yeah it's just all RNG. I got one pair of gloves on my Barb at level 12 just now and my buddy who is a sorcerer has gotten two legendaries and he hasn't even gambled with currency yet to try to get them. Which to be fair is roughly the same as it was in Diablo 3 between the levels of 1 and 20, but yeah compared to the way it was before it feels really really bad.

I understand why they did it though they had players soloing the world boss at level 25 because they were able to stack legendary affixes on to one another. And you can't have the game become redundant and easy on the veteran difficulty by allowing legendary items to just rain from the sky like this is borderlands.

DavidGzz

Nah, my easy solution was to switch it to adventurer mode. Now it's fine. Legendary's aren't raining anymore so there is no shame on playing normal mode until you get more powerful gear.

Btw, it runs as smooth as the console version on PC now. Optimized baby! No more stutters.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

After this beta I've tried all classes, rolled sorc for this go. Not sure how I feel about sorc... Though It's cool but also meh at the same time . I'll finish the beta with her to try few builds.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

What they've done to the necromancer makes me feel like they're still far from finding a good balance and maybe even a bit clueless. They turned an OP class into a super weak one and I bet having minions die very quickly is going to be a pain in the ass during boss fights.

ssringo

Barb still feels pretty underpowered imo. What do you guys think?
Feels fine to me but very gear dependent (which is expected).

Don't forget, they'll have the most slots for aspects with the weapon slots and we can't get to their class quest during beta.

Bartski

Gold Member
No issues logging in from minute 1 and playing barbarian for the first time.

It's fun but indeed the game feels much more difficult, maybe it's the class but while I was steamrolling the previous beta with the sorcerer and necro here I'm getting wrecked. Playing the harder world tier 2 of course.

I hit level cap of 20 while some strongholds are at 30 which feels impossible unless coming with a strong team. Which is actually nice.

What isn't nice is the balance enemy scaling, you're getting stronger but all the basic bitches take way more hits to kill than at the start.

Haven't had a single legendary drop yet, only made one myself for a bleed build.

I'll try kill the open-world boss in an hour and then off to finally check the druid.

GenericUser

Feels fine to me but very gear dependent (which is expected).

Don't forget, they'll have the most slots for aspects with the weapon slots and we can't get to their class quest during beta.
I tried him briefly, but it still feels as if the other classes outshine him.

This is the 3rd time i played the beta. Slowly i'm burned out. Just wanna play the full game already.

Im away this weekend to a wee place called Aberfeldy in Scotland and it’s probably for the best. Really trying to stay away from any Diablo till launch now. If previous characters are still available then I’m tempted to grab the lvl 20 mount kill tomorrow when I return home.

Little Mac

Im away this weekend to a wee place called Aberfeldy in Scotland and it’s probably for the best. Really trying to stay away from any Diablo till launch now. If previous characters are still available then I’m tempted to grab the lvl 20 mount kill tomorrow when I return home.

Toons from previous betas were wiped. You'd need to level a need character if you want the Ashava trophy.

niilokin

Playing as a Frenzy/Whirlwind barbarian this time and it feels alot more brainless mayhem, which is actually fun. They removed option to transmog weapons to be invisible, which wasn't even working in the previous beta.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Played quite a bit last night and just not sure I am having fun.

Maybe it’s because I am burned out of the starter areas but has me reconsidering buying as Necro has always been my go to class and just minions dying way too easy

ssringo

I tried him briefly, but it still feels as if the other classes outshine him.
I'm at 20 and getting geared. It's very noticeable when using good gear vs not. Same with upgrading at the blacksmith or socketing gems. The fury generaring/spending isn't smooth at this level but when everything is on point and working I don't really feel far behind other classes. Especially when clearing that level 30 stronghold. Probably have a better idea when we fight the world boss.

Other classes can feel better but they aren't balancing everything around a level cap of 20/25. There's lots of game and mechanics we don't have access to.

Luipadre

Wow they really fixed the PC performance. I had good fps, but constant stuttering last beta on my 3070ti at 1440p. Now im playing maxed out with high textures and DLAA and it runs at 130-144 fps ingame and super smooth with 0 stutter. Big cutscenes are locked to 30, but it doesnt bother me since its not a stuttery mess anymore. This build looks hella polished even tho last beta already felt good. Game looks insanely good, runs great and so much fun to play. Im glad i booked 2 weeks off from work at the beginning of june :D

Barbarian combat lacks punch and feedback compared to Diablo 3. Boring game IMO. I can't put my finger on what's missing but Diablo 3 and PoE have a better first act. This is just a slow-paced slog.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I still cant wrap my head around how and why the decision was made to start the game with "you" getting roofied, made to eat roses in what can only be a drug induced orgy... barfing it all out like the little bitch your character is... meh.

It doesn't make sense to fall for that when we have to believe that our starting char actually grew up in a demon infested world full of hardship etc. They still use Boss holograms completely demystifying the main boss one hour into the game. Meh. Its the same fucks who made D3 and just told their designers to make it look more gothic.

Bartski

Gold Member
Druid is cool and I think I'm doing better than with barbarian... but again the first optional dungeon boss I found destroys me, can't even get him down half-health.

Soulja

I was playing last night at 4k ultra and I had quite a few stutters and it showed my gpu usage dropping to 0% for a split second at random times. I'm hoping this is a game issue and it's not my gpu dying.

MikeM

Played on both PC and PS5. Only real difference I noticed was 60fps vs 120fps. Image quality was negligible difference.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It’s clunky: select weapon you want to use, select compare, select other, then if you press equip it’ll go there. Same for rings, it’s a silly way to do it.

Yeah, it's been really weird lol. Not sure why they didn't just use the same method as D3 with both slots being individual slots.

Same for 'changing weapons' being associated with using a skill tied to them only.

niilokin

I think it's good idea to skip dungeon bosses if you want to level up fast, I suck in this game and get wrecked by them and spend alot of time on them.

j0hnnix

About to hit 20, still struggling to get a get build for sorc. Alot of people have mentioned huge nerfs. Oh well I'm just wanting the mount.

Boneless

I still cant wrap my head around how and why the decision was made to start the game with "you" getting roofied, made to eat roses in what can only be a drug induced orgy... barfing it all out like the little bitch your character is... meh.

It doesn't make sense to fall for that when we have to believe that our starting char actually grew up in a demon infested world full of hardship etc. They still use Boss holograms completely demystifying the main boss one hour into the game. Meh. Its the same fucks who made D3 and just told their designers to make it look more gothic.

The first few clips made me skip all of them and just play the game without any context.

Nah, my easy solution was to switch it to adventurer mode. Now it's fine. Legendary's aren't raining anymore so there is no shame on playing normal mode until you get more powerful gear.

Btw, it runs as smooth as the console version on PC now. Optimized baby! No more stutters.
Yeah everything maxed out with textures to ultra and i'm getting 110-120fps stable in 4k. It's great now

I'm playing rogue at 20 with a bow and I don't like it , not my jam tbh game is fun though will definitely buy
Not making another class so I don't get burnt out when the game actually launches.

Top Bottom